Xeno Infestation Random Spawn Locations

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Xeno Infestation Random Spawn Locations

Post by AnonymousNow » #530269

I was so surprised by this that I put it on the Git as a bug, but kriskog told me it was intended and that it was a balance issue, so I brought it here.

In the past few weeks, I've spawned as a xenomorph larva in random locations during infestation events a few times. Notably, however, twice those locations were just terrible - in a brig cell, and in the central primary hallway. You don't need me to tell you that this is an almost guaranteed immediate rumbling for a larva, and rumbling means the shuttle, and the shuttle means the game is over (and/or the almost immediate death of the larva).

So, why are there xenomorph spawn points in locations including the most public and traversed space on the station?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Re: Xeno Infestation Random Spawn Locations

Post by Denton » #530328

These spawn markers are often used for multiple antags/events, so people started to put them all over the place without any idea of what they're doing. We have no guidelines on what marker should be placed where either, so those are really all over the place.

What needs to be done to fix that:
1) Make each spawn marker unique, for example one for xenos, one for anomalies, etc.
2) Write design guidelines on what marker should go where
3) Go through all maps and fix existing markers/place new ones
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Re: Xeno Infestation Random Spawn Locations

Post by OFQ » #535325

Or simply spawn inside vents. For bonus points: check that the candidate pipe network connected to at least 5(10?) different areas without movement blocking devices and has at lest couple of unwelded exits. It will guaranty that you gonna spawn outside extra secure areas like xeno or viro on meta and that you can get out aaand that the pipe network you spawned in isn't some kind of a tiny segment that someone made or that got isolated after an explosion. This solution will require the least(if any) amount of extra work for map makers.