CLONING REMOVAL FEEDBACK

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Re: CLONING REMOVAL FEEDBACK

Post by Sheodir » #536377

Bottom post of the previous page:

Noka wrote:
4dplanner wrote:snip
Please respond with your thoughts on my feedback on the last post of the third page. Curious what you think of them.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #536419

Oranges acts the way he does because even if he takes the high road - being patient and explaining reasoning for changes to people - 95% of them will still call him a retard and demand shit be done their way instead. Why even attempt to reason with people that won't be swayed regardless of what you say?

He also winds up having to take the heat for changes that he isn't necessarily responsible for, and is expected to be able to answer on their behalf...although there's less sympathy for that one because that just comes with the territory of being the head of a project. If you're calling the shots, you have to take the flak for the decisions that get made under your watch.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #536436

deedubya wrote:Oranges acts the way he does because even if he takes the high road - being patient and explaining reasoning for changes to people - 95% of them will still call him a retard and demand shit be done their way instead. Why even attempt to reason with people that won't be swayed regardless of what you say?

He also winds up having to take the heat for changes that he isn't necessarily responsible for, and is expected to be able to answer on their behalf...although there's less sympathy for that one because that just comes with the territory of being the head of a project. If you're calling the shots, you have to take the flak for the decisions that get made under your watch.
My main frustration at the moment is that as per the last post of page three I'm trying to actually talk about the cloning removal feedback and instead most of this thread is either oranges and others going "lol this good y mad" and people who don't like oranges walling huge complaints about him. Can we please just continue discussing the PR? The guy who pushed it did try to actually talk about it but has been radio silence still.

This is called the "CLONING REMOVAL FEEDBACK" thread, not the "Oranges Feedback" thread.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #536506

i disagree.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #536656

Super Aggro Crag wrote:i disagree.
why
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #537276

Since it is likely to be an issue, replica pod availability has been reduced along the lines of what I have discussed. They are no longer roundstart in the botany seed vendors and the cargo crate now has 1 pack instead of 3. Leaves it available for now, but requiring you to buy the starter seeds (and grow more) or mutate some cabbages. These are already low seed yield ranging from 1-2 seeds per generation depending on yield, so should be fine as they require effort™.
this is the exact opposite of what people were trying to get

if cloning is getting the axe, alternative round reentry methods need to be more common, not more restricted

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #537282

If you remove X and bump Y up to the point X may has well not been removed, what's the point of removing X?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #537284

If your logic behind removing "x" was that it was boring and non-engaging and then cripple Y, which requires more faffery and flummery, then you're just being a poop head.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #537288

Cobby wrote:If you remove X and bump Y up to the point X may has well not been removed, what's the point of removing X?
Because Y isn't equivalent to X, obviously. Pod revival is a more lengthy process, doesn't work on husked corpses, and has the downside of forcing you into a podperson. Ergo, consequence for death, and not a piss easy revival. If anything, we should be encouraging methods like this, not trying to discourage revival in general.

Spoiler:
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #537290

And you still can podclone. Just not for free roundstart.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #537292

skoglol wrote:And you still can podclone. Just not for free roundstart.
if that's the angle why not gate cloning instead of removing it?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #537313

PKPenguin321 wrote:
BECAUSE

MY TARGET

GOT CLONED

AND I REDTEXTED

YOU FUCKER
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #537315

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
<snip>
If you're not adding much to the conversation, please post in NTR hut instead
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #537327

Don't expect to get revived with less than 1 doc on the shift because nobody cares enough to do Sr and synthflesh to revive you
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #537344

yes if there is less than one doctor you may have trouble finding a doctor
Last edited by Lazengann on Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #537346

The only thing I see this doing is giving roboticists more brains for borging
adamkad1
Byond Username: Adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #537349

So, being someone who played on baystation, im not really opposed to cloning removal, but the big difference is that bay does not have shitchems (bay's chems however, do not repair things instantly, heck, they are pretty slow, meaning you have to stick around in medbay, or somewhere else when healing, which i think is good. Didnt someone suggest porting baymed? Anyway, Besides the obvious 'no ez revival' this also hurts medical ability to aquire cheap organs (empty clones) to amend the annoying fast organ decay, and underwhelming amount of organ repair options and cheap dissections (science loves that), which i been engaging in quite a lot recently. And that sucks. So removal of cloning sucks, but not being able to clone players is not the main reason for me
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537351

adamkad1 wrote:So, being someone who played on baystation, im not really opposed to cloning removal, but the big difference is that bay does not have shitchems (bay's chems however, do not repair things instantly, heck, they are pretty slow, meaning you have to stick around in medbay, or somewhere else when healing, which i think is good. Didnt someone suggest porting baymed? Anyway, Besides the obvious 'no ez revival' this also hurts medical ability to aquire cheap organs (empty clones) to amend the annoying fast organ decay, and underwhelming amount of organ repair options and cheap dissections (science loves that), which i been engaging in quite a lot recently. And that sucks. So removal of cloning sucks, but not being able to clone players is not the main reason for me
Whilst I'm not fully in favor of Baymed making healing a less instantaneous process would be great. Could use all the now extra space with cloning gone for actual wards where people can heal up and even arr pee in the arr pee servers with Docs and such. Not sure what the best way to balance this is - because you'll always have quick ways to heal certain types of damage. One very old suggestion was for all damage to go from 0 to 200 as it is but anything past 100 had to be healed either slowly or through chems and was bold to signify "longterm" damage.

Something worth discussing I suppose.
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #537355

adamkad1 wrote:Anyway, Besides the obvious 'no ez revival' this also hurts medical ability to aquire cheap organs (empty clones) to amend the annoying fast organ decay, and underwhelming amount of organ repair options and cheap dissections (science loves that), which i been engaging in quite a lot recently. And that sucks. So removal of cloning sucks, but not being able to clone players is not the main reason for me
Cybernetic organs (basic shit versions) are available roundstart, better ones by research. Organic ones can also be printed in the limb grower now (could use a rename).
Cheap dissections, well get some monkey cubes from somewhere and give them some mutadone.
kopoba
Byond Username: Kopoba

Post by kopoba » #537357

So only alternative to cloning now is removing humanazied monkey head and replace it with dead man one. Fast and easy just like cloning.
All other shity procedures will include fixinng ~200-400 damage of brut/burn, printing liver,lungs, heart, replacing them in victim. Maybe printing limbs and attaching them. This shit will take around 10 minutes or more. If i remember right brain also taking damage over time so i think if body lays to long you must get brain from body use mantilol on it and insert it back. +~3minutes to do surgery and get mantitol.
Imagine how many operation you must do to revive one man versus cloning. :brain:
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537358

kopoba wrote:So only alternative to cloning now is removing humanazied monkey head and replace it with dead man one. Fast and easy just like cloning.
All other shity procedures will include fixinng ~200-400 damage of brut/burn, printing liver,lungs, heart, replacing them in victim. Maybe printing limbs and attaching them. This shit will take around 10 minutes or more. If i remember right brain also taking damage over time so i think if body lays to long you must get brain from body use mantilol on it and insert it back. +~3minutes to do surgery and get mantitol.
Imagine how many operation you must do to revive one man versus cloning. :brain:
That's... kinda the point. Making medical an involved job you actually need to learn rather than click and forget. You have all the means to DO this. Med mains are mostly ecstactic over the prospect for a reason, they get to actually have a job and likely attract more MDs that want to do that job rather than being "medtiders" who just sort of afk in medbay and run around doing greyshit things.

Humanized monkey exploit should and likely will be removed.
kopoba
Byond Username: Kopoba

Post by kopoba » #537362

Sheodir wrote: That's... kinda the point. Making medical an involved job you actually need to learn rather than click and forget. You have all the means to DO this. Med mains are mostly ecstactic over the prospect for a reason, they get to actually have a job and likely attract more MDs that want to do that job rather than being "medtiders" who just sort of afk in medbay and run around doing greyshit things.

Humanized monkey exploit should and likely will be removed.
Nah point is that im dead please restart
Death is not fun and waiting single doctor to process 6 dead dudes that will take one hour and average time of shift of 30-40 minutes meh
Muncher21
Byond Username: Muncher21

Post by Muncher21 » #537364

kopoba wrote: Nah point is that im dead please restart
Death is not fun and waiting single doctor to process 6 dead dudes that will take one hour and average time of shift of 30-40 minutes meh
People having this mentality is exactly why cloning was bad for the game.
Sheodir wrote:Med mains are mostly ecstactic over the prospect for a reason, they get to actually have a job and likely attract more MDs that want to do that job rather than being "medtiders" who just sort of afk in medbay and run around doing greyshit things.
Amen. Med-bay is actually fun to play now, and you feel like you actually matter to the station.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #537368

about half of all brain transplants I have doctors do end with me permanently dead due to their incompetence. While the ideal outcome of this is doctors working hard to fix everyone, we all know its going to often result in a pile of corpses in a competition with the braindead doctors for the award of most intelligent thing in medical.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Post by OFQ » #537369

Just borg everyone (c) Malf AI
adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #537375

Also, organ decay is too fasta
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #537379

If you want organs to not decay, stasis beds or formaldehyde. There is a small amount of formaldehyde in epi pens, so stabbing a corpse prevents decay entirely.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #537384

My concern is that if revival takes too long revivals often won't happen at all because people will just get off the game or server hop when they die.

Especially if there's a backlog of corpses to bring back which happens sometimes.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537386

I recommend playing Medical with the test merge in now and see how your arguments hold up on their own. There's no massive stockpile of unrevived dead bodies. I saw a legit dehusking of a guy lost in Lavaland yesterday and it was great. Organs were decayed, limbs were missing, yet they managed.

MDs will actually learn their jobs now. Much like when the Singo became the SM, the setup will force the job takers to actually care about the job they picked rather than using it as a tiding with extra perms role. MD as a job has been neglected for far too long.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #537389

PKPenguin321 wrote:
a real response to this would be appreciated
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537391

PKPenguin321 wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
The short answer is that later down the line making an actual comeback to cloning that requires way more research, time, and development is totally viable

The longform answer is kind of layered
  • - The cloning code kinda was super fucking spaghet so that'd probably involve coding cloning a lot better to begin with
    - Research is a mess and rushing nodes is too easy as is, making its removal an inconvenience at best
    - having it not be there is opening up a lot of good opportunities elsewhere, both for medical and elsewhere, and having it be a researchable thing would remove most
    - seriously there's no way to balance it as an unlock that wouldn't cause in people overfamiliar with it just rushing it instead of learning medical
    - if someone can balance this comeback to cloning well and code it and put it up sure but it seems unlikely
That's the tl;dr

PS: podclone is already too easy as it is and should be way way way fucking harder honestly it's basically free if your botanist isn't braindead
and i mean way less braindead than your MD has to not be to revive you normally
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #537394

PKPenguin321 wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Pod cloning is tentatively left in while I observe how all this plays out. The reason for this is split between allowing botanists to turn themselves into podpeople and keeping the option available for players. It's fine so long as they dont become the single mainstream way of doing it. If that happens, its an indication that we need further changes to podcloning to make it less attractive.
I have stated a few times already why I think time gating cloning isnt the right way to move forward, both in this thread and on github.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #537405

Which still goes against the spirit of it, as well as giving botanists yet more shit they have to spend money on. There should be more access to pod seeds at roundstart, and they should be free. If you want to get rid of cloning and make the alternative methods work, you need to actually give people sufficient access to the alternatives. Especially roundstart when surgery is a more time consuming and less reliable method of revival.

Spoiler:
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #537411

skoglol wrote: Pod cloning is tentatively left in while I observe how all this plays out. The reason for this is split between allowing botanists to turn themselves into podpeople and keeping the option available for players. It's fine so long as they dont become the single mainstream way of doing it. If that happens, its an indication that we need further changes to podcloning to make it less attractive.
I have stated a few times already why I think time gating cloning isnt the right way to move forward, both in this thread and on github.
If pod cloning became a main stream method of revival is that really a bad thing though? Pod cloning is more effort that the cloner is and I'm not even sure pod cloning would become the goto for revival if it was.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537414

deedubya wrote:
Which still goes against the spirit of it, as well as giving botanists yet more shit they have to spend money on. There should be more access to pod seeds at roundstart, and they should be free. If you want to get rid of cloning and make the alternative methods work, you need to actually give people sufficient access to the alternatives. Especially roundstart when surgery is a more time consuming and less reliable method of revival.
deedubya wrote:
Guys, if it isn't clear, the whole point is that dying should be a major inconvenience and it being difficult to resolve, specially in a timely fashion, is the entire point. Let MD actually serve a purpose.
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #537416

Sheodir i cant tell if you are serious or not. Please specify every time you post.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537417

Critawakets wrote:Sheodir i cant tell if you are serious or not. Please specify every time you post.
I'm relatively new on the forums despite being a very old login ckey on /tg/, but let this be clear and valid for everything I ever say: I am being a hundred percent sincere and it'll be pretty obvious when I'm joking. This change already had positive effect on Medbay, and podcloning is honestly currently still too easy to do and only gated by the fact botany is likely second only to Atmospherics in roles people don't know how to play.
BadSS13Player
Byond Username: BadSS13Player

Post by BadSS13Player » #537437

Sheodir wrote: Guys, if it isn't clear, the whole point is that dying should be a major inconvenience and it being difficult to resolve, specially in a timely fashion, is the entire point. Let MD actually serve a purpose.
Isn't the point of the PR (in the Why It's Good For The Game section) to rebalance medbay to be more challenging for MDs?
Last edited by BadSS13Player on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537438

BadSS13Player wrote:
Sheodir wrote: Guys, if it isn't clear, the whole point is that dying should be a major inconvenience and it being difficult to resolve, specially in a timely fashion, is the entire point. Let MD actually serve a purpose.
Isn't the point of the PR (in the Why It's Good For The Game section) is to rebalance medbay to be more challenging for MDs?
Yes, that is precisdely the point I'm making.
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #537505

So, I played a few games with removed cloning last night on Terry (Dynamic):

If someone beheads you, I have never, ever seen someone get fixed from that. Same with organ spill. Doctors will try to patch you up and resurrect you with missing organs and simply ignore your head if you are beheaded. Frankly, the only way to fix the head thing that I can think of is shoving it inside a humanized monkey. Can you even re-attach the head somehow?

If someone is left dead for a prolonged period of time and organ decay kicks in, he might as well have been dusted. Organ decay completely fucks you up and it takes so long and so much effort to fix that I have never seen someone try so far to do it.

Overall, playing with completely removed cloning has felt bad so far in practice. Keep in mind that this has been on Terry where most people are fairly advanced mechanically and know their roles usually.

What changes I would like without reverting:

1) Re-attach head surgery.

2) A medicine that fixes overall organ decay on only corpses and essentially resets the timer to 0 so doctors don't have to spend 30m fixing each individual organ from a single person.

3) A better indicator that someone is missing organs after an organ spill. A visual indicator (like a burst out stomach) and an inspection indicator with bold red letter (This person's chest is burst open and all his organs have spilled!)

4) Probably empty cloning should stay in. I know it's against the spirit of the PR but there is no reason it shouldn't stay. Getting enough humanized monkeys to serve highpop for medbay is basically impossible, even when they raid genetics (in sci now) and virology.

In my opinion though:

I think the change is going too far. I still believe cloning should stay in as a tech instead of round-start. However, that opinion might change over time.
Iron, blood and spider armies
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #537510

Arathian wrote:So, I played a few games with removed cloning last night on Terry (Dynamic):
Event hall has been doing pretty well with it, this says more about the player mentality on terry tbh.
Arathian wrote:What changes I would like without reverting:

1) Re-attach head surgery.

2) A medicine that fixes overall organ decay on only corpses and essentially resets the timer to 0 so doctors don't have to spend 30m fixing each individual organ from a single person.

3) A better indicator that someone is missing organs after an organ spill. A visual indicator (like a burst out stomach) and an inspection indicator with bold red letter (This person's chest is burst open and all his organs have spilled!)

4) Probably empty cloning should stay in. I know it's against the spirit of the PR but there is no reason it shouldn't stay. Getting enough humanized monkeys to serve highpop for medbay is basically impossible, even when they raid genetics (in sci now) and virology.
1: Exists. Its the same as other limbs, four step prosthetic replacement surgery.

2: Exists in strange reagent. Likely to get nerfed though, as organs should be fixed through surgery or replaced. You can print the important cybernetics roundstart now. Use stasis beds or formaldehyde while working to prevent further decay.

3: Agreed, I am working on putting that into the health scanners.

4: Monkey cubes can be ordered from cargo or made in xenobio and botany. Monkeys are not a rare resource at all, but aren't strictly necessary either. There are some edge cases where a brain transplant might be easier.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537511

skoglol wrote:snip
Arathian wrote:snip
Manuel has been doing fine too. Gotta say I doubt the whole "EXPERIENCED PLAYERS WHO KNOW THEIR JOBS" if they don't know prosthetic limb surgery can attach any and all limbs, head included, in their organic form. Pretty baseline stuff, and just shows how much "MDs" usually could get away with not knowing the job at all.

Only valid complaint was the organ bursting which yeah needs a better signal for it.

Honestly I think balancing monkeys is a bit of a fool's errand anyway because I see this as the first step in reworking or retooling Genetics entirely. It is by far the most neglected department and is currently in a weird void where its benefits aren't that good, its flaws aren't that good, and its "gameplay loop" makes Virology look like Ikaruga with how boring and mindless it is.
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #537514

skoglol wrote:Event hall has been doing pretty well with it, this says more about the player mentality on terry tbh.
Event hall has way less antags, has mostly newbies who don't know how to be destructive and it has an increased chance of extended. Of course "no cloning" does better on the server where it's not as likely you will be mass murdered. That isn't a surprise. But the change affects all servers, including terry. We didn't have those problems before.

skoglol wrote:Exists. Its the same as other limbs, four step prosthetic replacement surgery.
I actually didn't know this was a thing. Fair enough then.
skoglol wrote: Exists in strange reagent. Likely to get nerfed though, as organs should be fixed through surgery or replaced. You can print the important cybernetics roundstart now. Use stasis beds or formaldehyde while working to prevent further decay.
This simply means no one will fix decayed corpses. Staying perma-dead cause someone hid you in the closet long enough is bad.
skoglol wrote:Monkey cubes can be ordered from cargo or made in xenobio and botany. Monkeys are not a rare resource at all, but aren't strictly necessary either. There are some edge cases where a brain transplant might be easier.
Then put a machine to humanize monkeys in medbay. Right now, you can't humanize monkeys in the medbay, only in sci.

My opinion is the same as above. Playing yesterday felt far worse than usual. If you think that will change over time, sure, but I am telling you like it is.
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #537515

Sheodir wrote:Manuel has been doing fine too.
Doublepost because, holy shit, this is the most retarded counter-argument.

Of course it's fine on servers where you are not allowed to tide or escalate and it's 30% or so extended and rounds last for 4 hours. How is that a counter-argument to the fact that, in most servers where rounds like 45m-1h and a lot of death happens, revivals of more messed up corpses simply don't happen?

I know manuel is the new cool thing, but normal servers exist too and they should be kept in mind when balancing shit.
Last edited by Arathian on Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537516

Arathian wrote:snippety snap
Of course your experience will suck more at first, because again, a big part of this change is making MDs actually LEARN THEIR JOB. The fact some got away with not knowing basic shit like limb reattachment shows the standards have truly been that low for this long. 90% of MDs knew how to: clone, apply patches and heal items, cryo and maybe MAYBE checked out the surgery page obsessively when someone needed to get a mechanical limb done in.

That's not enough. Organ decay isn't even that hard to fix, it just requires them to learn the surgery. Reviving someone requires an actual brain now and it's pretty great.

EDIT SO NO DOUBLEPOST:
Arathian wrote:snippen 2 bad argument boogaloo
That was more of a "hey most places this has been fine", and Event Hall (where players can get pretty wild despite being new) and Manuel (where things can STILL get pretty lethal and often despite the MRP) have indeed been fine. Terry isn't exactly shitterland 3000 either so I dunno where that impression came from. The point there is that if people can learn in one server, they can learn in others. The immediate experience might have been more negative but it just shows a well trained MD team can learn how to handle this shit.

And hey, worst case scenario, we split a LRP and MRP codease. God knows I'm done with CRAB-17 in MRP.
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #537517

So how do you fix when a traitor just murdered 2/3rds of sec and all of engi and we have a delam incoming and also there are reports of lings in maint fast enough?

Because that was literally the scenario last night. Previously, it was balanced by at least chucking a few corpses in cloning and surgery reviving a few of the less messed up ones. Now you can't do that.

You can't say "it's fine people will adapt people will learn their jobs yada yada" and not explain how it's balanced in actual higher speed servers.

Also, I am not an MD. I didn't know about the head surgery thing because of that. But even with it, you still need to grab a corpse, find the head, re-attach it, fix the organs and then revive it. For each corpse. When we had a nightmare yesterday that removed all organs and beheaded people, that is impossible.
And hey, worst case scenario, we split a LRP and MRP codease
It's not split so far and what affects manuel also affects terry.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537520

Arathian wrote:snop
Very simple.

The steps to fix this are there. The limb grower, the surgery room, the relative speed with which you can chem and surgery people back up if you're a decent MD - I'd say a full revival takes a minute half if you have everything prepared, from organless head detached lad to full rez - sure, it'll be difficult, but that's the thing.

If you allow a janitor to murder all of sec and several other people and then somehow also allow this person to debrain AND deorgan almost every corpse they come across, it shouldn't be an easy process to heal them. And with cloning there, it is. If the round went this far, then cloning is the least of your problems. The shuttle would've been called regardless. If we assume this masterful antagonist nobody can catch is as strong and fast in a non reactive station as you describe, consider they maybe deserve the win?
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #537522

And with cloning there, it is.
And the game is balanced around that in LRP servers, hence why it feels bad.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537523

Arathian wrote:
And with cloning there, it is.
And the game is balanced around that in LRP servers, hence why it feels bad.
It... really isn't. There's this illusion the game is in any way finely balanced. The truth is if you put in a feature it will go through almost 100% of the time. Podcloning wasn't an indepth decision process where we measured if it should be in the game or not, it was a "huh I guess this will be fun" and ta-da it goes through. The game's combat system wasn't balanced around this, it was you people on Terry that somehow let all of sec get killed by a janitor.

And second, even if it was, we can now rebalance the game around cloning being missing, LRP or otherwise.
adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #537532

Important thing is, people wanna play the game, they dont wanna stare at the game while being dead till it restarts. The less ways to fix someone from death there will be, the more paranoid people will be, they will attempt to stay away from other people, or react aggresively and beat people up for approaching them. And that sucks.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #537533

adamkad1 wrote:Important thing is, people wanna play the game, they dont wanna stare at the game while being dead till it restarts. The less ways to fix someone from death there will be, the more paranoid people will be, they will attempt to stay away from other people, or react aggresively and beat people up for approaching them. And that sucks.
The paranoia is part of the game, and a good part of the game at that. Keeping a one tile distance from people, not letting them get close unawares, all part of the game

Dying shouldn't be fun (by itself anyway)
Dying should kill you