Surgery and anesthesia on RP servers

A place to record your ideas for the game.
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Surgery and anesthesia on RP servers

Post by OFQ » #537843

Since TG station now has RP server I would say requiring anesthesia for an invasive surgery should be mandatory. It can be promoted by giving people PTSD if they weren't knocked out during the surgery. It will add more RP around the idea that someone may not want it since the surgeon might be shifty and stuff.
Mediborgs can use an item for anesthesia. It can be a mask with built in o2 + n20(pure n20 or n2o + co2 if emaged) mini tank.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Surgery and anesthesia on RP servers

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #537959

Everyone will push me down and steal my sutures and regen meshes
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #537977

Make surgical tables and sleepers accept anaesthesia tanks.
Clicking and dragging the spirte of the table/bed to a person will attempt to place a medical mask on them (if possible).
Anaesthesia can be toggled by control-clicking the bed/table (alt-click is taken on the stasis bed).
Surgeries now have a "Pain" variable. Pain reduces the chances of success during a surgical step.
Pain is eliminated if you're unconscious.
Failing surgical steps will deal scalable damage, dependant on the step, due to the patient thrashing about.
Tend Wound surgery will not deal Pain, superior tools can also reduce pain with abductor tools dealing hardly any, if at all.

In essence, doing surgery without anaesthesia is now longer and will very likely require wound tending afterwards, eating up more time - which is the only currency that matters to most people.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #537984

Anonmare wrote:Make surgical tables and sleepers accept anaesthesia tanks.
Clicking and dragging the spirte of the table/bed to a person will attempt to place a medical mask on them (if possible).
Anaesthesia can be toggled by control-clicking the bed/table (alt-click is taken on the stasis bed).
Surgeries now have a "Pain" variable. Pain reduces the chances of success during a surgical step.
Pain is eliminated if you're unconscious.
Failing surgical steps will deal scalable damage, dependant on the step, due to the patient thrashing about.
Tend Wound surgery will not deal Pain, superior tools can also reduce pain with abductor tools dealing hardly any, if at all.

In essence, doing surgery without anaesthesia is now longer and will very likely require wound tending afterwards, eating up more time - which is the only currency that matters to most people.
the problem is getting people to acquiesce to being unconscious for 30 seconds
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #537985

Very thoughtful post my anonmare, providing a suggested solution that can actually work. A mechanic that I would mind seeing.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #537987

Anesthesia is an awful idea because it makes the already unfun surgery system even worse. The result would be one person alt tabbing and the other just silently clicking. Before there was the possibility of conversation.

The reason why no one complains about anesthesia in real life is because anesthesia puts you to sleep, it doesnt leave you staring at a blank screen for who nows how long. In real life the patient is awake one moment, and then awake the next, with everything having passed in an instant. In real life you dont have to alt tab over to discord and wait for the surgery to come to an end.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #537988

NoxVS wrote:Anesthesia is an awful idea because it makes the already unfun surgery system even worse. The result would be one person alt tabbing and the other just silently clicking. Before there was the possibility of conversation.

The reason why no one complains about anesthesia in real life is because anesthesia puts you to sleep, it doesnt leave you staring at a blank screen for who nows how long. In real life the patient is awake one moment, and then awake the next, with everything having passed in an instant. In real life you dont have to alt tab over to discord and wait for the surgery to come to an end.
^
just fluff surgery beds as having pain numbing properties or something. space magic you know?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #537997

Replace surgery beds with stasis beds outright
Your body doesn't feel the pain signals because you're in stasis
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #537998

NoxVS wrote:Anesthesia is an awful idea because it makes the already unfun surgery system even worse. The result would be one person alt tabbing and the other just silently clicking. Before there was the possibility of conversation.

SS13 supposed to be punishing - not fun.
Lazengann wrote:Replace surgery beds with stasis beds outright
Your body doesn't feel the pain signals because you're in stasis
It will reduce the urgency for something like heart/lungs transplants. I would like having patient bleed out or suffocate at the surgery table be an option :)

@Anonmare seems like a lot of coding but would be cool.

- - - - - - -

Also something like giving human a plasmaman anesthesia internals and vice versa should be possible, as well as cluwn shenanigans with BZ :D

- - - - - - -

PTSD can be phobia of the medical personal/medbey and with some RNG dissociative disorder/paranoia/split personality
OFQ

Post by OFQ » #538005

To all casual players I would like to remind you that we already have cryogenics that knocks you out and many people prefer it over being cell damaged half-abortion or even getting treated by your average medbey tider. Besides, if someone does argumentation surgery on you it's not like you are having gameplay at the moment. If anything, being unconscious during the process will make you excited to awake and learn how many kidneys you still have. And it will make surgery much more fun for the enterprising surgeons and antags that now will be able to casually hide a grenade in your cavity and send you on a mission :D
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #538018

this is a funny joke
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #538020

Just make (invasive) surgery give you a hefty mood debuff if you are awake. You could always use the sleep verb too.
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #538038

I always thought it was lame that anesthesia is never used because it's a sore thumb "HEHE 100% LEGIT SURGERY HERE DEFINITELY NO BRAINWASHING OR IMPLANTS GOING ON" red flag and people rightly refuse to submit to it.
I think the game would be a lot more interesting if surgery besides tend wounds required the patient being anesthetized, or necessitated it out of practicality (huge mood debuff that lasts a long time, they scream and thrash and cause brute damage and lose tons of blood, it lowers the surgery success chance, maybe even all of those and more who knows), if for no other reason than because it'd make being a medbay traitor a lot cooler and create some great RP possibilities and gamer moves.

...I mean even using burn medication in this game makes your character scream in pain and get jittery. It's not a little odd you can have an arm sawed off or your brain operated on while awake and sober and there's no consequence whatsoever?
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #538039

skoglol wrote:Just make (invasive) surgery give you a hefty mood debuff if you are awake. You could always use the sleep verb too.
A mood penalty will not make people accept going under anaesthesia. And doing *sleep is just lame, i always hated that it worked when i played on para.

I like the implementation where more complications(failure, damage and bleeding) occur when the patient is not anaesthetised.

Morphine, krokodil and fentanyl(lol) would provide pain relief while allowing the patient to stay awake.

Krokodil would be the paradise oxycodone equivalent, used for side effect free pain relief.

Surgical hygiene & infections might be a more interesting mechanic to implement, at least of non-traitorous purposes.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #538048

just make people writhe, failing the do_after (i.e. progress bar cancels), and therefore unable to be operated on unless anaesthetised. painkillers like morphine could work too at certain doses
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #538065

cacogen wrote:just make people writhe, failing the do_after (i.e. progress bar cancels), and therefore unable to be operated on unless anaesthetised. painkillers like morphine could work too at certain doses
Ok but why. What does this add, what benefit does it provide? How is the game improved by having it so the guy who is having surgery done is unable to talk during the surgery, hear anything, have any interaction with the crew whatsoever?
People keep saying it would be cool but what benefit is there in forcing the patient to stop playing the game and find something else to do? There’s also the problem where we still have many incompetent doctors who you would now be unable to lead through the surgery, something I still find myself having to do.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #538076

to stop them from murderbonering

ignore that just introduce local anaesthetic "lol having ur brian cut out? lemme just inject some lidocaine into your scalp"
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #538078

Kryson wrote:
skoglol wrote:Just make (invasive) surgery give you a hefty mood debuff if you are awake. You could always use the sleep verb too.
A mood penalty will not make people accept going under anaesthesia. And doing *sleep is just lame, i always hated that it worked when i played on para.
You're not thinking big enough then. If it makes you slow for 15 minutes people will wear that n2o tank 8-)
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #538082

I just want more opportunity for malpractice to be honest.

Everyone knows what surgery does what and it's impossible to do a malicious surgery without someobdy noticing. When have you ever seen anyone actually get away with implanting a bomb inside of someone within the last year?
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #538086

Even with anesthesia i feel that the lack of full blindness prevents a lot of subterfuge as well. If someone were to strip my ID to scan it with their agent ID and then put it back on, for example, i would see it even if i was blind and in crit.
Plus i think that there's fun potential in waking up in a completely unexpected situation, instead of already expecting it because you saw your body getting dragged all the way to the traitor's hideout.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #538099

Anonmare wrote:I just want more opportunity for malpractice to be honest.

Everyone knows what surgery does what and it's impossible to do a malicious surgery without someobdy noticing. When have you ever seen anyone actually get away with implanting a bomb inside of someone within the last year?
I still desperately want to roll antag and just do pointless surgeries on people to amass a collection of organs like an insane person but not actually kill anyone during the surgeries so I am fully on board
Limey wrote:its too late.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #538117

Qbopper I have similar desires but instead I want to drug people's drinks or aomething, drag them into maint. Steal their kidney and dump them in dorms. Sell kidneys to cargo for profit
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #538121

this game is going to get me fucking arrested
Limey wrote:its too late.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #538158

Thats ok ill break you out
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #538255