Manuel - Round length and player count

General SS13 Chat
YuiY1997
Byond Username: YuiY1997

Manuel - Round length and player count

Post by YuiY1997 » #538936

Manuel's pretty great for RP purposes but I think it was definitely better the first week or so it was open. I think this was a combination of the often shorter rounds and the larger player population at the time. It's kinda silly to limit the server to 50 people considering it didnt really feel like it had a massive change on the server culture. Super duper lowpop and 2-3 hour rounds feels absolutely fucking silly.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Manuel - Round length and player count

Post by Qbopper » #538938

do people really consider 50 players "super duper lowpop" now

what the fuck???
Limey wrote:its too late.
YuiY1997

Post by YuiY1997 » #538939

Qbopper wrote:do people really consider 50 players "super duper lowpop" now

what the fuck???
Feels slow as fuck. Also the lowpop is 70, so in comparison 50 is super duper lowpop.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #538940

Just adding 10 back to the pop limit would be good I think. One problem is because of the long rounds you start running out of people to play the game. They die, drop out because its going to be an hour until they get back, and by the time the round starts up again the pop isnt high enough to get all the gamemodes.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
YuiY1997

Post by YuiY1997 » #538941

NoxVS wrote:Just adding 10 back to the pop limit would be good I think. One problem is because of the long rounds you start running out of people to play the game. They die, drop out because its going to be an hour until they get back, and by the time the round starts up again the pop isnt high enough to get all the gamemodes.
yeah this is a serious issue. There either needs to be a higher player count or more midround antagonists to keep dead players on the server
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #538960

I am genuinely baffled at the notion that 50-70/etc is lowpop
Limey wrote:its too late.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #538964

it might be oldfag stuff since i barely play but <20 is lowpop to me
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538965

50 player was put in place because the MRP standards were unclear and this incentivized people to play nicer. I feel it can reasonably go up now.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
keluandrie
Byond Username: Keluandrie

Post by keluandrie » #538966

ITT: newfags who never played when 30 players was considered pretty medpop for most of ss13

edit: this did not age well with the two posts at the exact same time as me
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #538970

YuiY1997 wrote: Feels slow as fuck. Also the lowpop is 70, so in comparison 50 is super duper lowpop.
I am a ssethtider and 70 is not lowpop by any definition of lowpop. By any definition of it. 70 is highpop. 50 is when highpop starts, really, with 30-50 being midpop.

This isn't an old vs new thing. This is just a dent in skull thing.
Iron, blood and spider armies
YuiY1997

Post by YuiY1997 » #538972

Arathian wrote:
YuiY1997 wrote: Feels slow as fuck. Also the lowpop is 70, so in comparison 50 is super duper lowpop.
I am a ssethtider and 70 is not lowpop by any definition of lowpop. By any definition of it. 70 is highpop. 50 is when highpop starts, really, with 30-50 being midpop.

This isn't an old vs new thing. This is just a dent in skull thing.

idk chief just using their own word
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #538973

Your screenshot says nine players dude
YuiY1997

Post by YuiY1997 » #538974

Lazengann wrote:Your screenshot says nine players dude
I'm saying the player cap is 70. I thought that's what made it lowpop. Sorry I didnt know the terminology beforehand I guess. It says the same thing when there's 60 players on so I figured it was the playercount and not the people currently on.
Last edited by YuiY1997 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #538975

the "lowpop" server tag doesn't really mean anything, the soft popcap on sybil is 50 (when the game will ask you to play on other servers but not boot you out)
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #538978

I do agree that manuel could use a slightly higher player count for the long rounds feeling emptier and emptier although that probably is just the lack of job content past 2 hours.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538982

cybersaber101 wrote:I do agree that manuel could use a slightly higher player count for the long rounds feeling emptier and emptier although that probably is just the lack of job content past 2 hours.
More pop would seriously help make thos erounsd edge down a bit.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #539005

I genuinely consider any round with more than 1 guy in security roundstart to be highpop
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #539009

wait why is this in the cuckshed anyways
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #539017

NTR hut is where things get done, move this back.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #539018

I wish the population cap would be raised as well. It's true the culture hasn't changed much as a result of lowering it. Just ban people whose playstyle doesn't fit. Also, long rounds are good. The problem is the decade-long standing problem of having nothing to do unless you're actively working on a job. Spawn some fucking antags. Codewise. Make a tensioner that works. Or use dynamic if it solves the problem. And I don't want to get into the stupid argument with morons about whether antags are necessary to create conflict because all that matters is there's fuck all without them (don't cite notable exceptions as though they're the rule) and it's an easy method to introduce it.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #539052

cacogen wrote:I wish the population cap would be raised as well. It's true the culture hasn't changed much as a result of lowering it. Just ban people whose playstyle doesn't fit. Also, long rounds are good. The problem is the decade-long standing problem of having nothing to do unless you're actively working on a job. Spawn some fucking antags. Codewise. Make a tensioner that works. Or use dynamic if it solves the problem. And I don't want to get into the stupid argument with morons about whether antags are necessary to create conflict because all that matters is there's fuck all without them (don't cite notable exceptions as though they're the rule) and it's an easy method to introduce it.
Dynamic MRP with highpop is the dream brother