Rage Cages on Manuel: Completely Fine or the Evil Spawn of Satan?

NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Rage Cages on Manuel: Completely Fine or the Evil Spawn of Satan?

Post by NoxVS » #537667

Bottom post of the previous page:

Recently someone was banned for building a rage cage on Manuel.
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 34&t=25319
The ban was successfully appealed but the appeal reason wasn't "banning for rage is stupid" but because the person actually had permission to build it. Which seems to imply if they didn't have permission it wouldn't have been a successful appeal. It seems to say that rage cages are fine if they are already built, were built in public by command's orders, or were built in private.
Lots of people seemed annoyed with this ban and its difficult to tell if its actually allowed or not so I figured I would make a policy post.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Rage Cages on Manuel: Completely Fine or the Evil Spawn of Satan?

Post by RaveRadbury » #539482

It's not about whether or not rage cages should be allowed, it's about where rage cages should be allowed.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #539483

IF we go by that then yeah put them in the fucking bar if you want I don't see why harmless violence wouldn't be entertainment if "haha the clown is intentionally tripping people" is
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #539505

don't see why it can't just be left up to the captain
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #539506

confused rock wrote:IF we go by that then yeah put them in the fucking bar if you want I don't see why harmless violence wouldn't be entertainment if "haha the clown is intentionally tripping people" is
It completely destroys the theater area for the rest of the round. Like at the very least speak with the clown and mime about it if you're going use their space. Also every time I see rage cages they get used for like 5 minutes and then no one does anything with them so yeah I would question the entertainment value.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #539508

*a rage cage that destroys the theatre destroys the threatre

as does literally anything that destroys the threatre. At least that puts an actual show in one. This isn't even a rage cage issue at that point, it's a "things that take up space in the bar" issue.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #539511

RaveRadbury wrote:
confused rock wrote:IF we go by that then yeah put them in the fucking bar if you want I don't see why harmless violence wouldn't be entertainment if "haha the clown is intentionally tripping people" is
It completely destroys the theater area for the rest of the round. Like at the very least speak with the clown and mime about it if you're going use their space. Also every time I see rage cages they get used for like 5 minutes and then no one does anything with them so yeah I would question the entertainment value.
if no one does anything with them, take it apart. Its a rage cage, its 9 times out of 10 a tiny square you dont even have enough room to fight in. It would take like 5 minutes to take apart
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #539512

RaveRadbury wrote:It completely destroys the theater area for the rest of the round.
the real tragedy. in fact you could argue the replacement of the theatre for an arena of crude violence as spectator sport is its most important performance yet
RaveRadbury wrote:Also every time I see rage cages they get used for like 5 minutes and then no one does anything with them so yeah I would question the entertainment value.
this is true and in fact highlights a very salient point: rage cages are gay and extremely overdone
however, used even less and to even more impotent ends is the theatre
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #539515

RaveRadbury wrote:
Mime main bias??? :silentman:
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #539530

So generally what I can get out of this is that for manuel
1:Rage cages should be done publicly at great enthuse by the server population or hidden in maint.
2: If done in the theater should be given permission by the mime and clown.
3: shouldn't be done alone by a single whiny bitch

I don't see anything wrong with any of this applying for manuel.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #539544

NoxVS wrote:if no one does anything with them, take it apart. Its a rage cage, its 9 times out of 10 a tiny square you dont even have enough room to fight in. It would take like 5 minutes to take apart
Most rage cages are electrified, which requires help from engineers if we're really going to stay in our own lanes about it. Also we all know that the game does not currently support player-set decals so either all the wood gets torn out and taken god knows where or the diner tile gets pried up and only grey tile can be replaced. It really messes with the ambiance.

:silentman: :honkman: Main
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #539558

Stop shitting up my bar with rage cages.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #539615

If you really don’t want a rage cage then complain before it’s built??? Bartender even has a shotgun.

Again “stop shitting up my bar with rage cages” should just be “stop shitting up my bar” if the problem is just the location and not the creation.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #539619

confused rock wrote:complain before it’s built???
Putting the onus on the person who works in that space to be constantly vigilant against trespassers is really terrible murder hobo stuff. Service roles shouldn't get steamrolled by bored powergamers. The library and theater shouldn't be silently stripped of wood for baseball bats especially when there are abandoned offices, botany, and a community garden. Stop shitting up public areas belonging to the service department. Atmosphere is such a nice part of MRP.

You could also just write up a project plan and get the involved parties to sign off on it, get the head's stamp, and then get to work. That way you'd have several other players involved in your scheme who support your project. At the least they're allowing you to use their space without giving you any trouble, at the most they can help you drum up attention and a crowd. What was once a lone shitter messing up the bar is instead an enterprising individual being backed by the social arm of the service department. Of course in this scenario you have to either persuade reluctant parties to agree or you have to accept that a rage cage isn't happening in the bar this shift.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #539639

confused rock wrote:When we DO let everything slide, gutting one part of it with no change to the others feels like you're using it as an excuse.
except I don't think all of those things should slide and should be changed as well
Limey wrote:its too late.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #539641

Add a holodeck ragecage program with hologrilles that only do stamina stamage instead of actual damage
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #539655

Screemonster wrote:Add a holodeck ragecage program with hologrilles that only do stamina stamage instead of actual damage
Why aren’t we funding this?
► Show Spoiler
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #539693

Because not even three tiles from the holodeck is a boxing ring with gloves that do exactly what he just described.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #539694

and people will ignore both of them to build a rage cage because adding things to the game that could have been playermade is a shitty mapping trend that needs to die
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #539700

Qbopper wrote:and people will ignore both of them to build a rage cage because adding things to the game that could have been playermade is a shitty mapping trend that needs to die
Facts

Anyways rage cages should be allowed, its a great ss13 staple and can lead to a lot of fun. This just seems like pointless over-moderation, who cares if someone takes advantage of the two most ignored and un-utilized places in the game (library and theatre). This isn’t HRP, its MRP, and it perfectly captures the type of janky hijinks you would see aboard ss13.
[this space reserved]
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #539705

>complains about player-built things being de-prioritized
>is against rage cages which are player-built by definition

nani
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #539707

who though
[this space reserved]
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #539738

bandit wrote:>complains about player-built things being de-prioritized
>is against rage cages which are player-built by definition

nani
if this is directed at me you sort of failed at reading my posts, because that's not my position whatsoever

and besides even if I hated rage cages entirely that doesn't mean I can't think that the stupid trend of taking every gimmick people do and implementing it as a feature is stupid (because it is)
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #539751

BeeSting12 wrote:Because not even three tiles from the holodeck is a boxing ring with gloves that do exactly what he just described.
the boxing gloves don't make you take stamina damage from being thrown into an electrified wall
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #542675

If you were a spectator for a rage cage you'd probably want to watch the rage cage fight in a bar setting to be honest. Do you think that is sober people shit?
I kind of feel like you guys need to take a step back from the situation and think about it.
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #542685

Mrp to me means talking befor acting in most scenarios. As sec, try to talk to the assistant breaking into shit before random disablers. Try to talk to your patients as a doctor before wordlessly throwing them into cryo.

Mrp isn’t about what you can and can’t do, necessarily, as much as it is about adding flavor and interaction to the things you were already doing.

In this instance, you could ask the captain (or CE if we’re being honest since they have the station blueprints) for a permit to modify the station for a rage cage. If a lawyer is around, ask him to stamp it. If it gets denied then risk building it anyway and sec breaking it up. These things create conflict and ... role play.

MRP servers attempt to add an extra layer of potential experiences aside from simple gameplay mechanics. Your fellow players become meaningful avenues for fun and conflict besides “unga I see valid”
Copybass
Byond Username: Copybass

Post by Copybass » #543339

Skillywatt wrote: If a lawyer is around, ask him to stamp it. If it gets denied then risk building it anyway and sec breaking it up. These things create conflict and ... role play.

MRP servers attempt to add an extra layer of potential experiences aside from simple gameplay mechanics. Your fellow players become meaningful avenues for fun and conflict besides “unga I see valid”
I actually had a lot of fun on Manuel showing up as a Lawyer to a Rage Cage in a bar that hadn't been properly secured and throwing the book at them with all the things they needed to change or face a fine as per the HoP, even though it just caused the engineer in question to /ghost the moment he was arrested over it.