are multi-z stations actually a good thing?

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

are multi-z stations actually a good thing?

Post by deedubya » #542794

Recently, mappers have been playing around with the mechanics of having the station itself exist on connected and interactive z-levels. MMM's work on donut has been a particularly notable example of this. But, in all this excitement to see if we can, nobody's stopped to ask if we should.

Is adding a third dimension in a game strictly bound to two dimensions really a good idea, from both a design and gameplay perspective? I fear that the potential complications that this change can bring about are entirely unnecessary, and don't necessarily bring any meaningful mechanical depth to the game. It feels like more of a "hey look at this neat trick we can do in the code" than something designed to enhance the player experience.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: are multi-z stations actually a good thing?

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #542802

pros: ceiling raids, realistic pit falls with traps, stairs, sewers, throwing bombs at people on the underfloor

cons: ceiling is ghetto telesci, being trapped in the upfloor because someone blew up the stairs, rcd grief
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #542804

Lifeweb has this and they're fine. I believe Bay and some other servers may have it as well, BUT I don't think any of those servers have to deal with:
1. Singularities
2. Teslas
3. Dragons swooping from above (this can be considered weird right now, but this would mean that our rooms and station would be really fucking tall)
4. Chasms (there used to be chasms that only dropped you down one z-level wtf where did they go)
5. Blobs
and probably some other shit that hasn't been thought about.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #542808

Ayy Lemoh wrote:3. Dragons swooping from above (this can be considered weird right now, but this would mean that our rooms and station would be really fucking tall)
The third dimension in general has been pretty easily handwaved due to it just not really existing in our mindset.

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #542812

Ayy Lemoh wrote: 4. Chasms (there used to be chasms that only dropped you down one z-level wtf where did they go)
chasms automatically switch to dropping you down one z-level if there is a z-level configured as "down"
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #542814

deedubya wrote:Recently, mappers have been playing around with the mechanics of having the station itself exist on connected and interactive z-levels. MMM's work on donut has been a particularly notable example of this. But, in all this excitement to see if we can, nobody's stopped to ask if we should.

Is adding a third dimension in a game strictly bound to two dimensions really a good idea, from both a design and gameplay perspective? I fear that the potential complications that this change can bring about are entirely unnecessary, and don't necessarily bring any meaningful mechanical depth to the game. It feels like more of a "hey look at this neat trick we can do in the code" than something designed to enhance the player experience.
Here's your shit thread, where you have the gall to claim Mmmiracles has been making a multi z map since August of last year to show off. The complete nads on this guy to really say the numerous coders and mappers throughout the years (a lot of which fucked off, mind you) did it just for themselves, without even considering if it's an actual feature tg should have or the problems that come with it. The man who did not join the multi-z test server miracles threw up even for a second, and has otherwise not played a LICK of multi-z beyond winter ball believes that the """""potential complications""""" make it more of a hassle than it's worth.

tldr; deedubya is a fucking ungulate
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #542816

I played on a server where the brig had a walkway over it for the warden to watch everyone and I was detective so I didn't have brig access to actually put someone in a cell so instead I dragged them to the walkway and yeeted them over the edge

shit was cash
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #542817

holy moly
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #542831

Armhulen wrote:
deedubya wrote:Recently, mappers have been playing around with the mechanics of having the station itself exist on connected and interactive z-levels. MMM's work on donut has been a particularly notable example of this. But, in all this excitement to see if we can, nobody's stopped to ask if we should.

Here's your shit thread, where you have the gall to claim Mmmiracles has been making a multi z map since August of last year to show off. The complete nads on this guy to really say the numerous coders and mappers throughout the years (a lot of which fucked off, mind you) did it just for themselves, without even considering if it's an actual feature tg should have or the problems that come with it. The man who did not join the multi-z test server miracles threw up even for a second, and has otherwise not played a LICK of multi-z beyond winter ball believes that the """""potential complications""""" make it more of a hassle than it's worth.

tldr; deedubya is a fucking ungulate
Or, rather than implying that this is a personal attack on anyone, perhaps it's a thread posted to solicit feedback and discussion on a feature that could become incredibly game-breaking while also being entirely unnecessary to the core experience. Your implication that I have something against MMM is also baseless and untrue. If anything, I respect his dedication and the effort he's put forth into trying to improve a map that the majority of the playerbase wants nothing to do with.

tl;dr keep your shitposting in the hut, where it belongs, fucking mong

Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #542834

I think it is a bad choice.

It makes orientation harder and less intuitive. You can't even represent the station in a flat image any more.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #542838

I think it can lead to problems, but it can also lead to some really interesting map designs and clever uses.
Imagine if all of maintenance was like actual vent/crawl spaces and were UNDER the station. You could do interesting stuff like removing floor to push people into maintenance, or get ladders to climb up INTO spaces etc etc

I think theres a lot of cool potential
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #542843

multi-z has some design issues but nothing that can't be resolved and making a feedback thread without actually having a full multi-z map is useless as you're just all gonna end up arguing without anything to base your opinion off of and end up looking like Ungulates.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #542847

Qustinnus wrote:multi-z has some design issues but nothing that can't be resolved and making a feedback thread without actually having a full multi-z map is useless as you're just all gonna end up arguing without anything to base your opinion off of and end up looking like Ungulates.
Seriously this is so dumb. After the map is made everyone will just go "well it's already made".

>I think it can lead to problems, but it can also lead to some really interesting map designs and clever uses.
Imagine if all of maintenance was like actual vent/crawl spaces and were UNDER the station. You could do interesting stuff like removing floor to push people into maintenance, or get ladders to climb up INTO spaces etc etc

How is that different from removing a wall and doing the same?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #542852

CPTANT wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:multi-z has some design issues but nothing that can't be resolved and making a feedback thread without actually having a full multi-z map is useless as you're just all gonna end up arguing without anything to base your opinion off of and end up looking like Ungulates.
Seriously this is so dumb. After the map is made everyone will just go "well it's already made".
Wrong, see: the 8 maps that were removed from rotation due to a mix of lack of maintenance and layout issues.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #542861

no because it completely fucks with how combat and engagements work in this game
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #542864

Flatulent wrote:no because it completely fucks with how combat and engagements work in this game
Combat already needs an overhaul. Removing the stun/slip-based meta was a step in the right direction, but we’re a long way from escaping the zip-around in circles and click-until-horizontal system that we currently have.

But you still raise a good point. Future combat innovations should keep mutli-Z in mind.
► Show Spoiler
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #542870

multiz should be used when a map needs the extra space, it shouldn’t be “this map doesn’t have multiz, better fix it!” when the map wasn’t designed with multiz in mind and adding another layer just bloats the size of an already complete station. Multiz is interesting, but not necessarily to engage with- Eris and Lifeweb use multiz to make an environment claustrophobic and confusing while still being able to fit 60 players in a quarter the space of your average station. Those aren’t things we really need here.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #542880

if you map bees away from botany we can't be friends.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
eldomtom2
Byond Username: Eldomtom2

Post by eldomtom2 » #542904

only acceptable if they have a cool multi-level bar
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #542919

we don't ask ourselves such questions.

We do because we can.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #542922

oranges wrote:we don't ask ourselves such questions.

We do because we can.
coincidentally, we have combustible lemons in the game
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #542926

on-topic though, I really think this is the kind of thing we can only answer after playtesting. theorycrafting about how players will use mechanics in a game as open-ended as this is rarely effective.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #542936

Considering I think I'm one of the few players who actually regularly plays on servers with multi-z I think my opinion holds a bit of weight.

Yes, it is complicated the first few weeks as you adjust to thinking in three dimensions but you will adapt once you've explored the areas enough times. It gives you entirely new ways of approaching problems and causing/experiencing conflict in a way that's new and interesting. On Eris, for example, you can use the verticality and hollow walls around departments to set-up Excelsior workshops barely a few feet away from somebody else working in the department with them being none the wiser. Hell, the AI core can be quietly infiltrated by cutting your way through the atmospheric pipeline route on the top level and drop down into a hollow wall behind the AI Upload consoles and the AI in question wouldn't likely notice your presence.

I do agree that you can't merely adjust an existing map to be mutli-z, you have to design the station entirely with multi-z in mind or else you're going to have balance issues of assistants deconning a tile of floor, dropping down into armoury, stealing everything, making a table and climbing back out. But to be honest, Box and Meta could benefit from an overhaul if I'm being frank. The current maps don't even make use of piping and cable layers to their full potential and, with verticality, you can shrink the horizontal space a department takes up - meta always got shit for being too big, even adding one extra z-level would let you cut the space it uses up by half, and with less space being required by the essentials, mappers can be more creative in their layouts with the real estate freed up.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #542938

I kind of look forward to department design using multiple z levels. Imagine medbay where the break room and storage room are upstairs from the rest of the department.

Slapping multi-z on the maps we have is a bad idea but if it is actually designed around it you can get some pretty compact but functional station designs.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #542980

peoplearestrange wrote:I think it can lead to problems, but it can also lead to some really interesting map designs and clever uses.

I think theres a lot of cool potential
Baystation has this, I think it's the 3rd zlevel
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #542994

can you look up
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #543040

cacogen wrote:can you look up
this is actually the most important thing you can add for multiz because without it you will just get continously griefed by people upstairs who throw chinese children at you from there
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #543048

how do bee dynamics work on multi z tho, do they fall?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #543049

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:how do bee dynamics work on multi z tho, do they fall?
flying mobs do not fall, if bees aren't flying mobs i'll be shocked
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #543085

Armhulen wrote:
flying mobs do not fall, if bees aren't flying mobs i'll be shocked
holy shit imagine if you get crushed to death by falling bees
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #543343

well, according to all known laws of aviation...
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #543350

Cobby wrote:if you map bees away from botany we can't be friends.
keep bees in space station

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #543395

CPTANT wrote:Imagine if all of maintenance was like actual vent/crawl spaces and were UNDER the station. You could do interesting stuff like removing floor to push people into maintenance, or get ladders to climb up INTO spaces etc etc
These are the primary issues I have with it. It's absolutely not intuitive, and the perspective we play with clearly isn't meant to account for up or down. How will you even know there's something above or below you? "just learn the map lol" isn't intuitive at all, and doesn't account for things that you'd be able to see (exposed upper walkways for example) but can't because of limited perspective.

Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #543418

On most servers with mutli-z, you can unless there's a ceiling right above you.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #546043

I've thought about this before, but my biggest concern is repairs.
Let's say an explosion punches a hole in the station. Does it blow a hole in the ceiling? How do you repair that hole? Do you have to climb onto the roof to patch it? Is there some weird interface for building a ceiling from the floor below? How do you even convey a lack of ceiling in a top-down view? And What about gasses? Do they travel across Z levels? What's the extra performance cost on that?
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #546108

OP could literally just go to one of few servers with multi Z level maps, which are all doing fine, and save good people of this forum a bit of time.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #546145

Vore has an amazing map, suggest everyone go play a round and run around
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #546172

well i would but y'know
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: