Multi-z questions/feedback thread

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Multi-z questions/feedback thread

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #543043

Are stairs constructible or destructible?
What about blob placement? Can you use the "go up/down" verbs to move as Bob overmind?
And revs (or heads in a rev round) ? Do they lose upon changing zlevels on-station?
And teslas/singulos? Can they change levels?
Do explosions affect the upper level?
And the atmosphere?
Can you draw cult runes upstairs?
That's all atm
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: Multi-z questions/feedback thread

Post by cacogen » #543044

i'm unimaginative but do you lose the use of your legs if you fall through the floor
can you mission impossible zipline down to the captain's shit and back up again as a traitor
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #543047

cacogen wrote:i'm unimaginative but do you lose the use of your legs if you fall through the floor
can you mission impossible zipline down to the captain's shit and back up again as a traitor
absolutely possible. you need a jetpack to do it without taking damage (and you know, GET OUT duh doy)and you need an explosive to get in from the roof.

you take a lot of damage from falling so i think it's very possible you'd pass some kind of threshold to lose control over your legs at some point
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #543063

what if

technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #543082

Why is this in CODING and not in Feedback or Ideas?
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #543092

Blame denton
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #543101

Flatulent wrote:Why is this in CODING and not in Feedback or Ideas?
Moving to feedback
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #543112

Are stairs constructible or destructible?
ideally yes, although for balance reasons it might be a good idea to make the roundstart stairs incredibly tough and only let people build weaker ones, which might also lead to fun shenanigans like assistants building shitty wooden stepladders to try to get into security's attic
What about blob placement? Can you use the "go up/down" verbs to move as Bob overmind?
restricting blob to one z-level doesnt sound very fun but for balancing maybe give them a dedicated blob structure like a blob pillar or something that they need to use to bridge upstairs/downstairs, so the crew fighting them can immediately tell where the blob is attacking from

also dont let node influence spread across z levels so the blob cant sustain a mass with a node upstairs
And revs (or heads in a rev round) ? Do they lose upon changing zlevels on-station?
no, it's still part of the station
And teslas/singulos? Can they change levels?
the best way to handle this imo would be to have a loose tesla/singulo on one level spawn an identical one on the other level and have them mirror each others states/movements, to give the impression they're so big they transcend z-levels, but i feel like that might be a coding nightmare

they should definitely affect other z levels, maybe have an overlay show where they are so that if a singulo is above you you arent getting obliterated by an invisible succhole
Do explosions affect the upper level?
again i think the most interesting way to handle this would be to simulate explosions having a spherical influence by spawning an smaller bomb on adjacent z-levels

if someone sets off a 100u meth bomb downstairs, spawn a 50u meth bomb explosion upstairs, to give the impression that the blast was farther away
And the atmosphere?
obviously yes, gas should escape/flow into holes in the ceiling/roof, but i have no idea how much of a nightmare or nonissue coding that would be
Can you draw cult runes upstairs?
same rules as the 'normal' z level, ie any rooms a rune is valid should be valid on either z level, although this can be changed depending on balance
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact