Engineers know APC and Door wires at Roundstart

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should Engineers know the APC and Door Wires at round start?

Yes
21%
Yes
21%
Yes
21%
No
13%
No
13%
No
13%
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 48

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Engineers know APC and Door wires at Roundstart

Post by Remie Richards » #5453

https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/552

Taken from the NTstation minor suggestion thread.

Includes a syndie uplink item that grants them knowledge of Door wires for 2 TC (1 TC cheaper than Emag because it requires tools)
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Engineers know APC and Door wires at Roundstart

Post by Steelpoint » #5455

I like it, you think that of anyone on station the Engineers would know how the Doors and APC's work.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #5456

>Knowledge of door wires costs as much as C4.
Make it 1TC.
I play Boris Pepper.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #5458

Bluespace wrote:>Knowledge of door wires costs as much as C4.
Make it 1TC.
The TC cost was primarily balanced against the Emag, something it shares a function with (Arguably door wire knowledge is more subtle, but requires tools)
I'll see what others say, Right now I have you against 2 TC and Paprika for 2 TC.
私は完璧
Zelacks
Byond Username: Zelacks

Post by Zelacks » #5461

2TC is too much, 1TC is almost too much.
Cutting doors to figure out the wires takes two seconds and almost no one will ever arrest for testing for wires, mostly because non antags will need to know the door wires too.

I would say no to it costing 1TC except that 1TC are either jokes or slightly usuable (soap and deck has marginal use, soap being soap and the deck is actually a pile of floor tiles)
Probably okay at 1TC.

Also this is almost breaking core rules, being that no job should really get special traits (mime and clown being sort of exceptions). I am pretty sure errorage suggested something where only people who were signed up as a medic could preform medical tasks, engineers only engineering, which was disapproved and veto'd. Not to mention the removal or never added job specific antag items, eg the ones goon now has

EDIT: I still voted yes because I think its a cool idea personally, though I still suggest it costs 1TC, just personally
Last edited by Zelacks on Mon May 12, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A game about running around and getting in fights. Then you complain to the admins to get the other guy banned. There's also a space station or something"
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #5464

A roundstart engineer should know the door/apc wires, because one would think that would be part of their training before actually going to work on the station.

Someone that is sent in as a "fillin" (latejoin) engineer shouldn't know automatically and should either have to ask or figure out on their own.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #5468

Jeb wrote:A roundstart engineer should know the door/apc wires, because one would think that would be part of their training before actually going to work on the station.

Someone that is sent in as a "fillin" (latejoin) engineer shouldn't know automatically and should either have to ask or figure out on their own.
the Memory of the Wires is added during the Equip procs.
Anyone who is an engineer when they arrive on station, knows the wires.
Any engineer assigned by the hop, does not know them by default.
私は完璧
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #5474

Isn't this kind of like giving the geneticist knowledge of all power and disability blocks at round start? Worried that this will lead to more yellowtide of people just playing engineer because it's assistant with more access and now door wires.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #5476

WeeYakk wrote:Isn't this kind of like giving the geneticist knowledge of all power and disability blocks at round start? Worried that this will lead to more yellowtide of people just playing engineer because it's assistant with more access and now door wires.
It's the geneticist's job to research the power blocks though. Engineers are supposed to repair the station, not research it's electronic equipment.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #5507

My roundstart routine as assistant takes about two minutes. I get tools and a belt, grab the arrivals flash and figure out the wires.

I would never bother with this as an antag. Syndie soap is infinitely more useful.

As for the engineer change, it's good I guess. It might possible lead to shittier changes, but this right now just eliminates some busy work.

I kinda like the engineering communication. There is a certain feel to the engee channel of exasperated camaraderie that I really enjoy. I hope it isn't effected by this change, which eliminates a reason to communicate.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #5517

im fine with it, since it takes like 2 seconds to find the wires anyway
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though