Dr who is dead - The timeless child

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Dr who is dead - The timeless child

Post by Ghilker » #548341

So, Chris Chibnall has literally killed the whole 50+ years of storytelling.
Dr Who has been utterly destroyed by his hands in just one line and two awful seasons.
Good luck on loosing all the fans.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Dr who is dead - The timeless child

Post by PKPenguin321 » #548365

what happen
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #548375

If you are going to see it, don't. Just don't
Warning spoilers
Spoiler:
basically the doctor is the timeless child, that went under an uncountable number of regenerations and every now and then the time lords resetted his memory to keep the secret. The time lords are now a normal race that used the power of the timeless child to gain the resurrections.
Dr Who lost all of its wonders and misery, they made a back story for someone that didn't need to have one. This doctor was bland and preachy, pushing political agendas and being "woke"
The cast acting is cringe and underwhelming.
Dr Who as a show lost its magic, wonders and sense of familiarity it had for long long time
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #548388

doctor who fans are eternally children so this aint too far fetched
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #548399

It took me watching other Steven Moffat shows (Sherlock, Dracula) to understand why I didn't like Dr. Who

All these shows are about a central character whose intelligence or wisdom are so far beyond the other characters'/the audience's that the average episode involves some incomprehensible/nonsense challenge being presented to the rest of a stumped cast whose sole purpose only exists to at-best provide the titular character the opportunity to solve it and dazzle everyone else with their otherworldy intellect/charm/mastery over the macguffin of this episode.

Dracula has a slight twist in that now the smartest guy in the room is the villain of the story but it's prettymuch the same thing in reverse, now all the protagonists try to challenge this infallibly prepared smart guy with their plots and foils only to have them cunningly solve the puzzles or be one step ahead.

For something so patently British it seems like the kind of television designed to make audiences to clap in their chairs over. "Wow! So smart! How fantastic!"

Like I could script a Dr. Who episode right now
Exterior Shot: The Tardis landing on some random deserted locale. A bunch of ugly space worms writhe in the distance. The doors open.

Dr. Who: "Aha! Wormoids! I know just the thing! Take care, normies!" *The doctor sprints off into the distance*

The Idiot Rest of the Cast: "B-but Doctor! Oh shit! Oh no!"

The Idiots scramble around the deserted hillside being menaced by ugly worms and panicking constantly for 49 minutes

Dr. Who: *reappears carrying some random gemstone* "I've found the thing! Aha!" *the gemstone glows for a minute and all the worms explode*

The Idiot Rest of the Cast: "Oh thank fuck you've saved us again Dr. Who!"

End Credits
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #548400

Super Aggro Crag wrote:doctor who fans are eternally children so this aint too far fetched
If you compare the arc of an episode of Dr. Who to an episode of The Magic Schoolbus like...yeah.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #548405

Timbrewolf wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:doctor who fans are eternally children so this aint too far fetched
If you compare the arc of an episode of Dr. Who to an episode of The Magic Schoolbus like...yeah.
hehehe
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #548492

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
Timbrewolf wrote:
hehehe
All aboard the 'Tardis
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #548594

woah now c'mon son that could be considered ableist
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #548596

Ive still not gotten over Tennant and Donna. Best part of the new series.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #548608

I miss Donna, she wasn't anybody's fool and called him out on his shit when he needed it. Only one other companion came close to that and they were from the old series.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #548822

The show was decent until Moffat decided the Doctor needed to be some fucking untouchable god figure instead of someone moderately interesting.
Spoiler:
I actually kinda liked Jodie Whittaker, but them thinking they absolutely needed an answer to the regeneration problem is stupid. Lucas, midichlorians, etc.
HBG did a video on why Sherlock sucks and (given the answer is simply "Moffat") it touches on how he fucked it up.

[youtube]LkoGBOs5ecM[/youtube]

Yeah, it's 2 hours long, but HBG's funny and it's an interesting watch.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #548940

I was about to link that video 'cause yeah, that bit at around 8 minutes in sums it up perfectly

he's okay at writing for individual episodes but for fuck's sake don't let him be in charge of the entire show or he'll try to insert giant fucking plot arcs into it to make the main character into the specialest best person ever

some shows work at their best if they're episodic, and like he covered in the sherlock one, the fucker couldn't wait to start foreshadowing fucking moriarty right out of the gate, like he didn't even let it run for a few episodes to get up to speed first

there's a bunch of shit that people keep pestering me about as "must watch" bullshit and if it's a show that I need to chew through eight fucking seasons to know what's going on and I didn't catch it from the start then I'll wait 'til it's over

we need more tv execs that are like the guy in videodrome when they pitch shows to him and he's like "don't give me episode 1, give me some random episode from the middle of the season and if I can't follow it then my viewers won't be able to either"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #549215

pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #549285

While I CERTAINLY don't think that Chris Chibnall has been doing a good job as showrunner, there's a good number of people who seem to decry EVERY single contribution he's ever made to the show, acting as though he's never done anything good for it. Granted: when you look at the track records for both him and Steven Moffat prior to them becoming new showrunners, Moffat ABSOLUTELY had more going for him, because all of his episodes were among the highlights of their respective series, whereas Chibnall's were... just kind of there. HOWEVER, I think those who've seen it will agree that the best thing Chibnall wrote for the show was the wonderful little deleted scene known as "P.S.": god knows WHY this was never actually integrated into the show, because it's absolutely MAGNIFICENT, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the main reason for him getting the position.

Now I know there'll be some of you who say that the reason this was so good was because it was done under guidance from Moffat. I'm not actually sure how true that is, but he must've had some issues with it if it was never fully integrated, because as showrunner, he has a lot of creative control over what gets in. It's for this reason that I'm of the belief Chibnall had far more input into "P.S." than Moffat.

And even beyond that, Chibnall's not completely incapable of being a showrunner for anything: just look at how good the first season of "Broadchurch" was! The show did lose its way in the later seasons, yes, but you can't say it was devoid of potential.

All in all, it's a damn shame that Chibnall didn't have the specific skillset needed to be a competent "Doctor Who" showrunner, because he's written some legitimately good stuff. I know some of you actually like the direction the show's gone in under him, and more power to you for that: you clearly have a higher tolerance for it than a lot of us. But as for that 'lot of us', I think I speak for you all when I ask: why did we have to get BAD Chibnall?
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #549354

doctor who watchers arent better than mlp ones
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #549477

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:doctor who watchers arent better than mlp ones
if you're suggesting that they're both shows for children and shouldn't be taken as serious watching for adults you are right