Ban the N word

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Ban the N word

Post by Qbopper » #549129

that's it

if you want a line drawn clearly, there you go - if you use the n word in a context that isn't obviously good faith/clinical (eg. discussing a slur ban in a thread like this) you are banned. ban it from IC, ban it from OOC, ban it from discord and the forums. idc about the exact punishment since I'm just putting this up for discussion but you could make it zero tolerance or a one time temp ban followed by a permaban, if you like

I agree that these discussions do not start with enough nuance so let's narrow shit down to something where progress can actually be made instead of habing two sides that are already hyper entrenched in their views take potshots and get sidetracked on stupid bullshit
Limey wrote:its too late.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Ban the N word

Post by Nabski » #549131

We have word filters in place so you just straight up can't say things.

Are you saying we shouldn't filter it but instead leave it as bait so that if someone says the no no word we get to ban them and remove their filthy filthy bad ways from our now vastly improved community?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #549132

To make everyone's life easier let's just say that ligger is allowed under this proposed change
Nabski wrote:We have word filters in place so you just straight up can't say things.

Are you saying we shouldn't filter it but instead leave it as bait so that if someone says the no no word we get to ban them and remove their filthy filthy bad ways from our now vastly improved community?
discord doesn't have a filter

idc if you filter it or make it bannable, frankly - I think it goes without saying that if the filter is changed to remove the n word that people who try to get around the filter to say it should eat a ban
Limey wrote:its too late.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #549134

How do we stop such a system from being abused by selective or over reaching on enforcement by admins to remove players they disagree with?
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #549135

or we could ban nothing and everyone but a clique of loud retards will be ok with that
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #549137

JusticeGoat wrote:How do we stop such a system from being abused by selective or over reaching on enforcement by admins to remove players they disagree with?
The filter is already in place. That argument should have been made when the system was installed.

We already ban people. Adding one more offense doesn't change that bans can be abused. If said player is breaking the proposed rule, it isn't abuse. It's removal of rule breakers.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #549138

JusticeGoat wrote:How do we stop such a system from being abused by selective or over reaching on enforcement by admins to remove players they disagree with?
The same way it happens now, admins shout at each other in adminbus for bad bans for about a week straight, systems been working okay so far
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #549139

Apply filter to ooc as well, bans could be pushed on people who purposely try to get around the filter with spacing text out etc etc
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #549140

Flatulent wrote:or we could ban nothing and everyone but a clique of loud retards will be ok with that
Why do you need to say this one word?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #549141

Flatulent wrote:or we could ban nothing and everyone but a clique of loud retards will be ok with that
Or we could ban it, and everyone except a clique of loud retards would be okay with that.

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
HommandoSA
Byond Username: HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #549142

Safe spaces are dumb and communities that build them are trash.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #549146

Pretty sure the people who want it gone want it gone not because they're offended, but because its just a bad look for the community
[this space reserved]
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #549147

HommandoSA wrote:Safe spaces are dumb and communities that build them are trash.
Then lets ban the word and not make this a safe place to say the N word.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #549148

peoplearestrange wrote:
HommandoSA wrote:Safe spaces are dumb and communities that build them are trash.
Which word is next on your ban list?
FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #549149

I hate the argument that not allowing slurs == being a safe space. We aren't going to become a safe space, banning slurs is at the very bottom of the ladder.

Give me feedback!
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #549150

HommandoSA wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:
This isn't my thread. Nor is this thread about that. Stop avoiding the policy being discussed here or don't comment.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #549151

peoplearestrange wrote:
HommandoSA wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:
This isn't my thread. Nor is this thread about that. Stop avoiding the policy being discussed here or don't comment.
The point of the comment was that the language policing isn't gonna stop here.
FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #549152

HommandoSA wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:
HommandoSA wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:
The point of the comment was that the language policing isn't gonna stop here.
Slippery slope is a shit argument. 'If we ban metacomms, what's next? We ban all information sharing about the game? We ban talking to other community members?'

Give me feedback!
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #549154

lol no keep crying in your epic gamer clique
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #549156

FloranOtten wrote:
Or we could ban it, and everyone except a clique of loud retards would be okay with that.
why don't we put it to a vote and find out which one of those is true
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #549159

why should i have to write around saying the nigger word on discord and if i dont i get banned
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #549160

peoplearestrange wrote:
HommandoSA wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:
Furry.

They word they will want to stop seeing thrown around next is Furry.

The discrimination will end when you stop making your kinks your profile picture.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #549173

wesoda25 wrote:Pretty sure the people who want it gone want it gone not because they're offended, but because its just a bad look for the community
I've seen players get offended at the word enough to ahelp, only to tell them it's allowed and that they could handle it IC. From my experience it was accepted fact you're going to get some racism on the server even if you don't personally like it. If I had to guess I'd say most players are ambivalent; if it was a deal breaker they wouldn't be here.

I'll give this thread the benefit of the doubt as it's already sliding into oblivion, some real ass questions for OP:
  • Why just one word? Why not a list of slurs?
  • When you say 'in a context that isn't obviously good faith/clinical' do you exclusively mean in context of discussing the policy or why it's banned, or is there a broader idea of good faith uses of slurs such as roleplaying racist characters?
  • Would there be any efforts to see if the community wants to move in this direction or would you propose headmins make the decision for the good of the server?
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #549176

if we do ban this word, I can see us having organized raids like with goonstation dedicated to bypassing the word filter and making our more vulnerable admins shit and piss themselves ("Nick Ger says, "niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer" x100")
if we don't ban this word and leave things as is, what is the worst that will reasonably happen?
or to phrase it a different way, what is the sudden urgency to ban this word?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #549178

PKPenguin321 wrote:if we do ban this word, I can see us having organized raids like with goonstation dedicated to bypassing the word filter and making our more vulnerable admins shit and piss themselves ("Nick Ger says, "niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer niqqer" x100")
if we don't ban this word and leave things as is, what is the worst that will reasonably happen?
People already did that when gender neutral pronouns were added, of all the reasons we could refuse to change policy I would hope "salty griefers might shit up the server for a bit" isn't one of them.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #549179

Nabski wrote: Furry.

The discrimination will end when you stop making your kinks your profile picture.
Furry is a choice, being black isn't.
Fikou wrote:why should i have to write around saying the nigger word on discord and if i dont i get banned
If you can't write around using a racist slur then you really need to sit down and consider how you use language and why you feel you need that word in your common vocab.
Or you're just not imaginative enough to use other swear words you shitty pus-seeping amoeba piss sponge. Or do you just need shock factor to be your only bastion of insult?

The other thing is we already ban people for using this as a direct insult, i.e. if you found out someone was black and you called them the N word your going to get banned. So why isn't it acceptable there, but saying it out loud is?
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #549182

peoplearestrange wrote:
Nabski wrote: Furry.

Furry is a choice, being black isn't.
Oh right the Furry has made the CHOICE to force us to know they dress up like an animal and shit on the floor.

It's a choice if you have enough money like Jackson and Ariana Grande did.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #549187

Are you having a stroke? Are you ok?
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #549197

No, I'm not okay. People are saying things in this thread that I try to read and their concepts are fwoosh levels of thesaursing around the topic and moral proselytizing.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #549207

don't worry I'll just take the filter out again
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #549246

:owlman:
Qbopper wrote:To make everyone's life easier let's just say that ligger is allowed under this proposed change
Nabski wrote:We have word filters in place so you just straight up can't say things.

discord doesn't have a filter

idc if you filter it or make it bannable, frankly - I think it goes without saying that if the filter is changed to remove the n word that people who try to get around the filter to say it should eat a ban
isn't saying ligger basically the same

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #549249

remove all skin tones except caucasian, now whoever says nigger can be banned for ooc in ic because niggers aren't real ic...
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #549259

oranges wrote:
bruh mso will shit in your shoes if you do that kek
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #549260

saying the n word is cringe but the people who usually say it casually find a reason to get banned sooner or later
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Unit2E
Byond Username: Unit2E

Post by Unit2E » #549282

Yes. Honestly, I'd be all for banning a healthy chunk of all the slurs that could regularly be taken as charged. The N-word, tranny, and all the likes. I do understand however that taking this gradually, if it happens at all, is for the best. After all, some people seem to act they can not function without getting their gamer words in. Both in this thread and many before it. Also the people that argue we should rename to goon already because we may or may not ban their needless racial slurs would have their toes stepped on, which is really a delight.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #549289

Qustinnus wrote:
oranges wrote:
bruh mso will shit in your shoes if you do that kek
he only cares about slap crafters
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #549301

bobbahbrown wrote:isn't saying ligger basically the same
lol no?
[this space reserved]
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #549302

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #549318

Gigapuddi420 wrote:People already did that when gender neutral pronouns were added, of all the reasons we could refuse to change policy I would hope "salty griefers might shit up the server for a bit" isn't one of them.
address this portion please:
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Unit2E

Post by Unit2E » #549320

Not the person you're asking a reply from, but that's an odd thing to ask. It feels more like you're seeing the time we didn't ban the word as a sunken cost. Why not ban it now? It's not like we can ban it over time, either. Why didn't we ban it before? What is the need that is being satisfied by allowing the word? Do we stand to gain whatsoever from allowing the word? Frankly I do not understand the pushback on banning a word with the intense history of hatred and violence this one has, that practically only can be used negatively.

Also, the argument that "why ban it now?" is always applicable, there is never a good or bad time. What, are we supposed to wait until a black person gets turned off by the community because the community uses the n-word so constantly? It's not like there's a tell for that, nobody is gonna tell a community that it sucks shitbricks because of their language, because if they observe such is the case, they won't even begin to be part of a community anyway, and wouldn't care to tell the community it sucks. No black person will ever want to engage with this community, the few that do are a rarity if they even exist at this point.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #549321

you're probably not even black so shut up virtue signaling amerifat.
Unit2E

Post by Unit2E » #549322

Not american, not black, doesn't answer anything. Shut code monkey.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #549323

Unit2E wrote:Not american, not black, doesn't answer anything. Shut code monkey.
I'm not gonna bother reading 6 paragraphs from a literal who with 6 forum posts. We let anyone admin these days. You're literaly just virtue signaling and acting like a little bitch because someone said a word you don't like and have to make sure that everyone knows how much of a good person you are by trying to get every word you think is evil banned
Unit2E

Post by Unit2E » #549324

"Holy shit, this dude is acting in good faith trying to better the community, we can't have that, let's attack them instead of their argument because I can't be fucked to read, but I can be fucked to post my replies that do not contribute anything to the discussion besides "what's your stake in this you're not even black, why improve anything when it doesn't benefit you???""

I thought you were a good monkey :(
Anyway, back on topic.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #549325

virtue signaling is not good faith.
Unit2E

Post by Unit2E » #549326

Are we not allowed to improve (in my mind) on community culture because it's somehow "virtue signalling"? Yes, I think the n-word is bad, and there's no reason to use it. Is this a hot take in the current year of our lord 2020?
I'm arguing my position because I do, genuinely, think it would improve the community. In my mind, that's good faith, yes.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #549327

well you're wrong it's not going to change anything and will just lead to you all trying to ban other words too
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #549328

PKPenguin321 wrote:if we do ban this word, I can see us having organized raids like with goonstation dedicated to bypassing the word filter and making our more vulnerable admins shit and piss themselves
then permaban those people, raids are already a bannable offense, how is this a serious objection
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Unit2E

Post by Unit2E » #549329

I don't want to spam the thread with my replies, so this'll be it for me for a little bit.

Yes, I do think that more words than just the N-word should be banned, I said so before. No, I don't think we'll s-s-slippery to banning all slurs, because why would we? The discussion is worth having, but I don't think that's right for this server.

No way of telling who is "right" really, racism is dumb, being against it isn't virtue signalling, and the word is somewhat inherently racist. That is, that's true in my mind, you may not agree.

Lastly, I do not see the pure benefit of allowing the word besides "it's how it's always been" and "we might slippery into more word bans, or we might get raids, somehow". I think it has a serious negative impact on how the community is observed from the outside, which is a somewhat hypothetical viewpoint, besides the fact that in most other communities you'd get side-eye for being so insistent on being able to say the n-word.

That's all from me for a bit.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #549332

lol if you are so worried about the community's image maybe your ass should move to goon or yog.