Psychologist feedback thread.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Psychologist feedback thread.

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #550724

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/49964

This just got merged, please share your feedback or ideas here.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Re: Psychologist feedback thread.

Post by trollbreeder » #550734

Let me get this out of the way first.

Is this going to be the medbay lawyer, essentially?
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #550736

trollbreeder wrote:Let me get this out of the way first.

Looks like it for the moment, though they could work on setting up a lot of ways to get happier in their office or something. It's attached to some kind of idea of mechanic to fix unlike the lawyer
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #550737

trollbreeder wrote:Let me get this out of the way first.

Read the PR.
the PR wrote:Question: Isn't this just lawyer 2.0?
Answer: Yes, and that is 100% the intention, for now. This is an RP job any way you slice it. I believe this PR stands both on its own merits purely as an RP job, and also to help lay the foundation for future work from others to flesh out a Psychologist/Psychiatrist job with actual unique mechanics. We have even had prior and ongoing work done to that end. #48403 I've spoken to the author of this and he has expressed approval. With the groundwork laid by this PR in terms of job, access, and area code, as well as standardizing a spot for psych in future mapping, I believe this will make his or anyone else's job infinitely easier and allow them to focus solely or at least mostly on introducing cool mechanics.
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #550745

I made an oopsie and the CMO and HoP don't have access to the psych office on highpop currently, but a fix is up.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/50139
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #550754

Would you be averse to me adding a small medical cabinet/bag to the psychologist locker, which contains a limited amount of Happiness and Psicodine (maybe other chems like LSD or something)? I think it could add flavor, but I think there were some arguments against it which is why I ask.
[this space reserved]
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #550756

wesoda25 wrote:Would you be averse to me adding a small medical cabinet/bag to the psychologist locker, which contains a limited amount of Happiness and Psicodine (maybe other chems like LSD or something)? I think it could add flavor, but I think there were some arguments against it which is why I ask.
Personally, not averse at all, no.
This was actually part of my original plan, giving specifically some psicodine, happiness, and mindbreaker pills to the job either in their locker or backpack at round start, but I backed off because the natural next question is "why aren't they just deferring to medbay to get those pills?" or further "why don't they just have pharma access?" (I did NOT want, at present, to give the silly RP job access to the clandestine bomb/poison factory).
But if you think it fits and you want to fight any opposition to it, please do, could be a lot of fun.

Once all this settles in I'm toying with the idea of PRing role restricting the hypnoflash to the Psychologist.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #550757

My thoughts on it is that an assistant getting a custom job title would equivalently be the same thing

there's nothing here.
► Show Spoiler
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #550758

Shadowflame909 wrote:rp job bad
Thanks for your valuable feedback, but this was clearly addressed in the PR text.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #550760

you asked for feedback, thus people are giving their reactions. it doesnt matter if this was intended to be medical lawyer or not, people are giving feedback. the word you are looking for is criticism.
to address the change itself, it is inoffensive, per design. practically, its worse at its job than the chaplain, who can actually dish out good moods mechanically, and already moonlighted as the mental care role on the station.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #550761

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:rp job bad
Thanks for your valuable feedback, but this was clearly addressed in the PR text.
What other kind of feedback are you looking for

Access requirements?

There's nothing here!
► Show Spoiler
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #550763

Shadowflame909 wrote:What other kind of feedback are you looking for
feelings after playing the job or playing medical with the job filled perhaps
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #550766

I think this is a good addition.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #550780

Should give him some medicines that give bonus mood to prescribe. Also name the job psychiatrist since they can legally prescribe medication.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #550784

trollbreeder wrote:Is this going to be the medbay lawyer, essentially?
Basically, I merged it to make it easier for other people to establish a proper mental trauma/psychology framework (like in https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/48403).
Right now, the job will probably mostly see use on Manuel though.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #550796

the fact that people actually do play chaplain/lawyer tells me theres plenty of room for this to exist

plus psychologist is something that actually would make sense on these god forsaken stations

just gave to come up with relatively harmlessly gimmicky shit for them
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #550799

BeeSting12 wrote:Also name the job psychiatrist since they can legally prescribe medication.
I opted for Psychologist because Psychiatrist has a more clinical ring to it, and my hope was that this will be seen as a fundamentally social job. Essentially a sort of token HR rep there to keep the crew just sane enough to keep working.
I think the Psychologist being able to prescribe things works fine in the cartoonish lore of this game, and for that matter IRL there are some places where Psychologists legally can and do prescribe medication.
Last edited by annoyinggreencatgirl on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #550800

Here is my best effort at adding it to the wiki.
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Psychologist
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #550806

reminder that the reason people play chaplain is because he gets a ton of validhunting gear
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #550930

Shadowflame909 wrote:My thoughts on it is that an assistant getting a custom job title would equivalently be the same thing

there's nothing here.
Allow me to elucidate then

if you have nothing to say, don't post about how little you HAVE TO SAY

JUST DON"T POST.

IF I CATCH YOU DOING THIS AGAIN, I will ban you from the forums for a while.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #550940

oranges... I think he meant that there's not enough content, not that he had no opinion

PS: Making it the psychologists job to manage medical records is a cool idea, I hope it catches on
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #550950

>I think he had an opinion on the content, not that he had an opinion

DO YOU EVEN HEAR YOURSELF DUMBASS
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551014

If anyone would like to see somewhat more substantial "content" for the Psychologist, short of an actual rework on mood/sanity/traumas and all that, since I'm far from equipped to do that and others are working on it... What would you like to see?

For instance, are you opposed to or for any of the following? They're things I've been thinking about.
  1. The Psychologist being given a modest and low dose stock of pills at round start, as discussed previously here, psicodine, mindbreaker, happiness, or stuff similar to that.
  2. The Psychologist having pharmacy access.
  3. The Psychologist, CMO and HoP (Captain too obviously but he's already got sec console access) having exclusive access to the "mental status" setting in medical records, and bringing back beepsky being triggered to arrest or detain "insane" people.
I myself think one would be good, and help solidify the idea that the Psychologist is allowed and expected to posses and dispense drugs, or rather to write prescriptions pertaining to them.
Two I'm totally opposed to until maybe mechanics are a thing, because access to chem machines comes with a lot of baggage and I think it's more interesting if the Psych has to ask for a stock of drugs (or for additional stock if point one goes through) or write prescriptions.
Three I think could be really interesting, but I guess might be abused outside MRP.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #551034

If psych gets pills should be renamed to psychiatrist as that's one of the main distinctions between psychologist and psychiatrist (that and the psychiatrist goes through medical school first and psychologist doesn't do it at all).
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551042

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:If psych gets pills should be renamed to psychiatrist as that's one of the main distinctions between psychologist and psychiatrist (that and the psychiatrist goes through medical school first and psychologist doesn't do it at all).
I covered this both in the PR and here but I'd like to reiterate; I don't think this is a distinction that would be very helpful.
In real life "doctors" as singular individuals do not patch up basic wounds, then also go perform literal brain surgery, then also go deal with complex pharmacology. But on TG, they do.
I like "Psychologist" because I feel it stresses that this should be something of a social/RP role, even once mechanics do get added.
But this one is up to future contributors (adding mechanics to the job) and the maintainers really.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #551133

Give them the ability to either reduce or increase mood with a cooldown
Otherwise a very nice addition, thank you
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #551139

The fact that they don't interact with moodlets whatsoever makes their office a complete waste of station space. What does a psychologist do that a doctor, chaplain, or hell - a fucking clown can't do better?

RP jobs can't solely be RP jobs. They need actual mechanical grounding to justify their existence. It's the same reason prisoner sucks dick, and why nobody plays lawyer anymore. Difference between this and the prisoner is that the prisoner isn't wasting space in their department to justify their existence.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551153

deedubya wrote:The fact that they don't interact with moodlets whatsoever makes their office a complete waste of station space.
Difference between this and the prisoner is that the prisoner isn't wasting space in their department to justify their existence.
On one map there was room there specifically for expansion, and in fact (according to the contributor's own words) specifically for expansion from a psych job.
On three maps it fills in a small piece of the hole Genetic's department change left.
On another map it displaced a secondary surgery room, which who cares since you can and almost always do tend wounds on stasis beds and there's still a big surgery theater to do everything else in.
And on another map, it displaced an abandoned maintenance room.

In your mind what should this vital real estate have been used for?
deedubya wrote:RP jobs can't solely be RP jobs.
Yeah they can.
But if you feel that strongly to the contrary, and the workload of running Boomerstation permits you any free time, feel free to code psych mechanics in or touch bases with the guy working on them.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #551154

I think the psychologist would Pai well with people with the unstable quirk.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #551167

I would prefer before you start giving them permission to pull medical resources that they have something they can offer that's worth pulling resources for.

Not that chem machine energy is worth its salt but still lol.

Also FYI we lost genetics specifically for map space, and I don't see anyone taking the mantle of adding maint stuff so not sure why all of a sudden that's a care (maybe for delta but?)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551172

Cobby wrote:I would prefer before you start giving them permission to pull medical resources that they have something they can offer that's worth pulling resources for.

Not that chem machine energy is worth its salt but still lol.
Yeah that's in part why I thought at present pharmacy access would be a stinky idea, and favored them writing prescriptions/asking for stock. At that point they have to at least try to justify it and it's up to the CMO, doctors, and chemists to actually honor it or not. Roleplay, as such.
I've been observing a lot of rounds and it's been going well on Manuel, and I've even seen some players doing pretty neat jobs with Psych on Terry and EH.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #551194

I've thrown up this pr to hopefully let more people stick around for a bit in the office. Usually the bar isn't so far from med, but if it is this is one "moodlet heal" area in medbay.
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551197

Nice!
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #551269

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:
deedubya wrote:The fact that they don't interact with moodlets whatsoever makes their office a complete waste of station space.
Difference between this and the prisoner is that the prisoner isn't wasting space in their department to justify their existence.
On one map there was room there specifically for expansion, and in fact (according to the contributor's own words) specifically for expansion from a psych job.
On three maps it fills in a small piece of the hole Genetic's department change left.
On another map it displaced a secondary surgery room, which who cares since you can and almost always do tend wounds on stasis beds and there's still a big surgery theater to do everything else in.
And on another map, it displaced an abandoned maintenance room.

In your mind what should this vital real estate have been used for?
I stand corrected, then. I forgot about how you guys hamfistedly shunted genetics over to science upstream. I guess there's plenty of space to recycle.
deedubya wrote:RP jobs can't solely be RP jobs.
Yeah they can.
But if you feel that strongly to the contrary, and the workload of running Boomerstation permits you any free time, feel free to code psych mechanics in or touch bases with the guy working on them.
You asked for criticism about the job. The criticism is that it's currently pointless and a waste of potential. Also, if I was to expend resources improving it, the only way it'd make it back upstream would be as a port.

edit: Arm's got the right idea, but I wonder if there's a way to code it so that the moodlet only happens if there's a psychologist present in the room, and lingers for a while after leaving? Say like, 4x the amount you remained in the room?

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #551343

One good idea we can steal from paradise is to allow the psychologist to help demote people who after a good faith determination are declared to be unfit to serve. If a head is ooc ick'ing, self harming or randomly attacking people you should be legally allowed to chloral them and put them in a straight jacket.

if their mental health doesn't improve after a talk about their relationship with their mother, a steady dose of lithium and a little haloperidol, you can demote them. Make sure you have some support amongst security or the heads before attempting this, or you will probably wind up dead.

You essentially get a license to be the comdom police if the need should arrive.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #551346

It doesn't matter if it's pointless for you, that is irrelevant.

What they want is feedback from people who would play the role as it is now, if you want to idly speculate about how to make it a different role, go to ideas so we can ignore you.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #551347

Why ask for feedback if you don't want to change anything?
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #551351

I ask myself that every day caco
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551377

cacogen wrote:Why ask for feedback if you don't want to change anything?
Nobody is is providing "feedback" by way of dropping in to inform me that they don't like RP jobs, or being the 14th person to think they're clever for thinking up "ACKCHYUALLY....... psychologists can't legally prescribe medicine."

Post's like Kryson's, ideas and such, are good to see and I'm all ears. And I'd like to hear more, good or bad, from people who have actually played the job.
I also asked for direct feedback on some things pertaining to the job here and it's largely been crickets, so... Shrug?
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551381

Kryson wrote:One good idea we can steal from paradise is to allow the psychologist to help demote people who after a good faith determination are declared to be unfit to serve. If a head is ooc ick'ing, self harming or randomly attacking people you should be legally allowed to chloral them and put them in a straight jacket.

if their mental health doesn't improve after a talk about their relationship with their mother, a steady dose of lithium and a little haloperidol, you can demote them. Make sure you have some support amongst security or the heads before attempting this, or you will probably wind up dead.

You essentially get a license to be the comdom police if the need should arrive.
I've been thinking about something along these lines, yeah. It's interesting and might be feasible, and pretty fun from an RP standpoint.
I like the idea of people with Psych access (namely the Psych himself, the CMO, the HoP, and obviously the Captain) being the only ones able to set people's mental status in medical records, and if set to "insane" would make beepsky chase and arrest them on sight just like arrest status, as well as spit alerts out in the medical and possibly service frequency about an unstable person being detained.
I think this could be used to sort out shittery that doesn't exactly make somebody valid, or maybe doesn't alone qualify them for demotion, and create some interesting RP in the process. Does this fall in line with what you were thinking?
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551391

I put a PR up to give the Psychologist some pills, feedback appreciated.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/50211

edit: oops wrong PR
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #551401

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:I put a PR up to give the Psychologist some pills, feedback appreciated.

giving any amount of pax is a terrible idea
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551405

Flatulent wrote:
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:I put a PR up to give the Psychologist some pills, feedback appreciated.

giving any amount of pax is a terrible idea
Why?
He gets 25u spread across 5 pills. I'm terrible at chemistry and making 90u of Pax took me like 2 minutes.
I could have shaved it down to well under a minute if I burned a paper to get ash, or better yet, just swiped one of the many multiver bottles sitting around.

I was a lot more reluctant to give Synaptizine pills than Pax to the psych at round start because while it has some legit psych uses and it's piss easy to make, those uses are pretty niche and the stun resistance is basically a "run away from sec" button.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #551437

Pax is fine
[this space reserved]
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #551494

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:"ACKCHYUALLY....... psychologists can't legally prescribe medicine."
yeah i said that on the original pr because i'm a faggot i didn't know everyone else here had degrees in armchair psychology too. where i'm from people are retarded

by the way i like the job and i think it's good you're adding medicine
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #551616

general practitioners aren't legally allowed to do surgery either, some suspension of disbelief and stretching of logic is required to enjoy yourself here

Spoiler:
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #551639

Played half a round of this on Manuel, it was late at night, so kinda lowpop, but whatever. The role of counselor or mediator or whatever is one I could reasonably see, but I also feel like that job is taken up by the Bartender as much as anything. As it stands, the job has very little substance, even by meme RP job standards.

The lawyer, for all the complaints about their uselessness, is partially there to be an in-character thorn in security's side. Security is an interesting place where interesting and relevant things are happening, and the lawyer has an IC reason to interject himself and play a sort of advocate for criminals. The curator has far less relevance, but they at least have a couple of cool suits and a large public area to play with if for some reason they want to attempt autism projects (which I think they should be better equipped to do, but that's another thread)

The psychologist has no reason to exist, no niche to fill, and no tools to play with. Thematically, it's kind of cute, but that's about it.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #551716

On some other servers (Bay, for instance) the chaplain also acts as a counselor: his office has a psychiatrist's couch and is comfy enough to hold sessions in. Keep in mind, I'm not against the idea of a psychologist role, but considering alternatives can help shed light on whether a feature is what's best for the game.
Spoiler:
Merging psychologist and chaplain roles
Pros:
+ Adds more content to an existing RP job instead of making a new one
+ Frees up space in the medical department for future features

Cons:
- Spiritual advice ain't the same as psychiatric counseling (psychologist can generate fun conflict with chaplain)
- It's more funny if someone on the medical staff deems you insane than if the Chaplain does
- tfw no Deanna Troi
► Show Spoiler
crashmatusow
Byond Username: Crashmatusow

Post by crashmatusow » #551728

We technically have a mechanism for relieving mentally unfit crew (this is currently the CMO’s job) but I literally never seen anyone do it. Probably because medbay lacks tools for effective nonlethal detainment.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #551736

crashmatusow wrote:We technically have a mechanism for relieving mentally unfit crew (this is currently the CMO’s job) but I literally never seen anyone do it. Probably because medbay lacks tools for effective nonlethal detainment.
Demotions seldom happen in general. It's a lot of trouble for everyone involved, especially if the demotee's revenge plot is something lame like self-antagging.
► Show Spoiler