Death to PDAs! (Kinda.)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Death to PDAs! (Kinda.)

Post by Vekter » #550682

Holy shit you have no idea how much I hate PDAs. Not the concept, but the implementation. So much effort is being made to bring everything else in the game into a better user experience while PDAs still look like mid 90s hot garbage websites.

Let's replace them with Smartphones.

Basically: Smaller, less powerful tablets. They run NTOS but can't run any of the high end programs like station monitor, crew monitor, etc. They're mostly just there to function as a replacement for PDAs and a way to introduce more content in the future. Messaging would still exist, we'd just need to make an 'app' that replaces it using most of the same implementation we have now.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Re: Death to PDAs! (Kinda.)

Post by Mickyan » #550684

No to smartphones replacing PDAs, the retro aesthetic is cool and flavorful, yes to PDAs getting NTOS interface
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #550685

Basically: Smaller, less powerful tablets. They run NTOS but can't run any of the high end programs like station monitor, crew monitor, etc. They're mostly just there to function as a replacement for PDAs and a way to introduce more content in the future. Messaging would still exist, we'd just need to make an 'app' that replaces it using most of the same implementation we have now.
Spoken like somebody who has no idea what pda's can do with the right carts.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #550686

Port all PDA programs to modular programs. Replace PDAs with tablets. Greentext.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #550687

trollbreeder wrote:Port all PDA programs to modular programs. Replace PDAs with tablets. Greentext.
Modular programs doesn't work because the idea behind pda's is to gate access to these functions behind access to physical objects (carts)
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #550688

MrStonedOne wrote:
trollbreeder wrote:Port all PDA programs to modular programs. Replace PDAs with tablets. Greentext.
Modular programs doesn't work because the idea behind pda's is to gate access to these functions behind access to physical objects (carts)
Gate access to them using ID levels.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #550689

nope
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #550696

Vekter wrote:
MrStonedOne wrote:
Gate access to them using ID levels.
Thats lame and a cop out.

Chips/sd cards/flashdrives/etc would be better
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #550698

I like MSO's direction in this thread. We already have PDA carts, we should be able to import programs or hold them to a chip which you can swap out. If you've ever used a nintendo switch, it's like that. You have the game on the chip permanently, but can only use it when the chip is inserted.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #550705

Armhulen wrote:I like MSO's direction in this thread. We already have PDA carts, we should be able to import programs or hold them to a chip which you can swap out. If you've ever used a nintendo switch, it's like that. You have the game on the chip permanently, but can only use it when the chip is inserted.
my hacked switch can dump and install carts you pleb

jokes aside though PDAs are pretty tight, they're very straightforward compared to modular interfaces which is nice for the end user. modular computers are cool but kind of annoying to actually use tbh
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #550773

if it ain't broke overhaul it
NSFW:

Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #550777

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:I like MSO's direction in this thread. We already have PDA carts, we should be able to import programs or hold them to a chip which you can swap out. If you've ever used a nintendo switch, it's like that. You have the game on the chip permanently, but can only use it when the chip is inserted.
my hacked switch can dump and install carts you pleb

jokes aside though PDAs are pretty tight, they're very straightforward compared to modular interfaces which is nice for the end user. modular computers are cool but kind of annoying to actually use tbh
I have almost never used tablets due to them being annoying. There's apparently a secret chat program for tablets however I doubt anyone ever fucking uses it since it would probably be more efficient to just do another thing that is never done - changing radio frequencies to something else.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #550778

the only time i ever used a tablet was when it first came out and it was fun to play with. now i junk the HoP's starting tablet whenever i roll HoP simply because it's a pain in the ass to use. PDAs on the other hand load quickly and are simple to use.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #550790

I use the tablet all the time when I play CE - having the supermatter monitor running in your pocket instead of having to constantly trundle over to the console is honestly very helpful.

I'm not sure if any other jobs can actually get use out of it however.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #550792

BeeSting12 wrote:the only time i ever used a tablet was when it first came out and it was fun to play with. now i junk the HoP's starting tablet whenever i roll HoP simply because it's a pain in the ass to use. PDAs on the other hand load quickly and are simple to use.
if you junk the tablet as a HoP then what the hell are you doing all shift? sitting behind your desk all day waiting for a revolution to cave in your door?
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #550803

Merge PDA's and tablets and rework them into something usable.

Also who thought that fake download times on the tablet were a good idea?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Ayy Lemoh

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #550809

Ayy Lemoh wrote:would probably be more efficient to just do another thing that is never done - changing radio frequencies to something else.
I'm going to have to eat my own words here because I saw some dudes use different channel frequencies in the syndicate space ruin so that they can communicate with the AI in a secret channel
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #550814

CPTANT wrote:Merge PDA's and tablets and rework them into something usable.

Immersion.
Spoiler:

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #550827

Vekter wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Merge PDA's and tablets and rework them into something usable.

Immersion.
The immersion of looking at a fake download bar. :|
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #550830

I like to use tablets as engineering because I can monitor the engine from anywhere on the station as long as comms is still alive (so I can effectively monitor both). I wish robotics had a tablet program for monitoring borg health (even if it didn't show synced AI).

I don't really get why we need to have two. PDAs and Tablets would handle the same fundamental purpose (portable computing tasks), and the tablet interface looks nicer. Their only downside is that they don't fit in ID slots.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #550844

That is not their only downside, they're generally just really clunky to use compared to a PDA.

On a PDA:
>pop in the bot control cartridge
>push the bot control button
>push "Control Bot"

On a tablet:
>check "Dickifier 1038 v1.8," "Cockballinator 838 v92.6," etc
>determine that none of them are the program you're looking for
>realize that you minimized them instead of closing by accident, go back and close them all
>open software downloader
>wait a real life 2 minutes while it "downloads"
>go to open program: "This software is not compatible with this device."
>scrap your tablet and build a mounted terminal, download the software again
>open "Controllilizer Botinificationator 88173672881 v20.7"
>go to click on "Controllilize bot," tgui window crashes
>reopen it
>go to click on it again
>battery dies
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #550846

If they were to be the equivalent of PDAs at roundstart they should come pre-installed with job specific programs so you don't have to fumble with extra installations unless you want to
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #551102

those tablets are literally meant to replace the PDA's and I thinkt hey even have a drive slot for their equilvaent of carts, it's just nobody ever got around to fucking finishing it.
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #551471

If tablets or an equivalent modular computer item are gonna replaced PDAs they're gonna need to be made a lot more user friendly. As it is they're just really unpleasant to use, and that's compared to the PDA which is stuck with an ancient UI and a default colour of shit brown.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Ayy Lemoh

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #551472

EOBGames wrote:If tablets or an equivalent modular computer item are gonna replaced PDAs they're gonna need to be made a lot more user friendly. As it is they're just really unpleasant to use, and that's compared to the PDA which is stuck with an ancient UI and a default colour of shit brown.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #551496

i like tablets and pdas
NSFW:

Unibel
Byond Username: Canizas

Post by Unibel » #551549

just remove it

:honk:
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #551784

The problem isn't PDAs (although the UI could use some improvement), the problem is tablets. Does anyone actually use them?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #551787

EagleWiz wrote:The problem isn't PDAs (although the UI could use some improvement), the problem is tablets. Does anyone actually use them?
No, because we have PDAs. We're simply waiting for someone to update UI on pdas and remove tablets OR fix up tablets and remove PDAs
zxaber
In-Game Admin

Post by zxaber » #551788

The problem with tablets is lack of worthwhile programs. Engineering's SM monitor is decent, but what other use would a job have for a tablet? I mentioned a barebones borg monitor for roboticists. Maybe Cargo could have one that allows for better control of the mules? Add the research console's function for heads of staff? Arrest records program for security? Move the crew monitoring item into a tablet program for medical?

I guess we could add a "NTnet Knowledge base" program and have that take the place of all the various job-related books scattered around; It would still be basically the wiki stuffed into the game, but in tablet form.
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
ragevirus
Byond Username: Ragevirus

Post by ragevirus » #551792

Atmos monitoring app on the tablet is super useful. I load it up first thing every time I roll atmos.

I also usually start a tablet chat room for lols. Nobody has ever joined one :(
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #551794

Observations:
- Both tablets and PDAs have some exclusive functionality - some of it useful, some of it negligible
- Both tablets and PDAs are meant to contain your ID and go in your ID slot
- Many jobs get only a PDA and not a tablet by default
- All jobs that get tablets don't have exactly 0 or 1 uses for them

Opinions:
- This game relies on physical heists and stealing poorly-secured cartridges from various areas is more fun than murdering HoP for their AA
- "Modular computers" have been in the exact same unfinished state for years and are worse gameplay and harder to design around than circuit boards and cartridges
- Engineering SM monitoring and HoP portable ID console should be ported into PDAs
- Chat room could be integrated into PDA messaging
- Everything else is not really worth preserving
- PDAs could be made prettier or code refactored but the basic game design is good
- If you implement "PDAs but better", replace PDAs and keep the same name rather than introducing another new thing

tl;dr put supermatter monitor on PDA and delete tablets
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #551796

The chat feature on tablets is useful for mimes as mime PDA's are emoji only. I've successfully made use of it in a handful of rounds.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #551843

The main reason for me wanting to do this is to give us more shit we can do with the PDA. Put the fuckin' supermatter monitor on it. Give QM a cargo app. Put R&D research on the heads' PDAs. That kind of shit.
Spoiler:

BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #551880

RaveRadbury wrote:The chat feature on tablets is useful for mimes as mime PDA's are emoji only. I've successfully made use of it in a handful of rounds.
You are the scummiest variety of mime. Please just break your vow of silence so you can be validded next time.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #552867

Modular tablets need to be default turn off programs instead of minimising them, I hate that aspect
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #553118

Tablets should scrap the entire program management thing. Just either have a program on there or not, nobody thinks managing virtual disk space is fun and it just makes using the things a hassle.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #553120

I like to download simple program at speed of dial up using gigaquads
NSFW:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #553130

BeeSting12 wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:The chat feature on tablets is useful for mimes as mime PDA's are emoji only. I've successfully made use of it in a handful of rounds.
You are the scummiest variety of mime. Please just break your vow of silence so you can be validded next time.
:cat:
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #553155

I'd be in favor of basically obliterating modular computers entirely and remaking PDAs in their image.
Akrilla
Byond Username: Akrilla
Github Username: Akrilla

Post by Akrilla » #553323

I'd love to move PDAs over to tgui and make it more like modular computers/combine them, but it's fuck tons of effort :(
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #553333

Honestly as nice as tgui is and as nice as it looks on all the new UIs, PDAs just feel so responsive and easy to use while everything related to modular computers is so bloated and clunky and useless that I groan internally whenever someone wants to "update PDAs". If we ever actually axe PDAs or whatever, please make sure that computers aren't so fucking bloated
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
zxaber
In-Game Admin

Post by zxaber » #553344

I feel the exact opposite. After all the time using the clunky PDA interface, tablets are an absolute joy.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #557571

Axe tablets, integrate pAI into PDA, give PDA all the tablet stuff like SM monitoring and similar actual useful programs, then gate them behind cartridges.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information