Disable Meteors

CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Disable Meteors

Post by CDranzer » #552277

Meteor storms don't create any interesting gameplay. The only gameplay they do create is a tedious slog for engineers who rightfully don't want to spend the better part of an hour fixing half of the station's outer perimeter. About the only thing it serves to do is inspire a shuttle call because nobody wants to play on a half demolished station. It might make for an interesting challenge if the entire system of station repairs were to be overhauled, but until the coders want to tackle that problem, all they serve to do is bring shifts to an abrupt halt, or at the very least a limping crawl.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Disable Meteors

Post by wesoda25 » #552284

hoes mad
[this space reserved]
CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #552287

Of course I'm fucking mad
Why the fuck would I not be mad when halfway through a generally decent shift the RNG rolls an unmitigatable Fuck The Station for the 90th time that day
Further more what kind of drooling imbecile is actually going to come in and try and argue that this is somehow a good thing because the only way their dick gets hard is if they're kicked in the face whenever they go to take a shit in the morning
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #552292

what are the current timers for meteor rolling right now? They might be too quick to be enabled for picking, if the goal is to shoot for hour long rounds.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #552297

build a meteor shield
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #552300

PKPenguin321 wrote:build a meteor shield
meteor shields only show up 1/3 of the time (excluding extended) and are often not built because its a boring process that doesn't even cover the entire station
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #552303

Just reduce the amount of meteors and their devastation.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #552306

NoxVS wrote:
meteor shields only show up 1/3 of the time (excluding extended) and are often not built because its a boring process that doesn't even cover the entire station
you could also actually build grilles/walls to shield you from meteors
Spoiler:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #552309

PKPenguin321 wrote:
NoxVS wrote:
good joke pkpenguin
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #552311

NikNakFlak wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
NoxVS wrote:
good joke pkpenguin
if there are maps that do it with some degree of success i dont see why a proactive engineer can't
Spoiler:
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #552315

meteors are there to end stale rounds, like blob, aliens, etc
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #552352

While I'd like meteors even if they were just bad for everyone ever, they're not. antagonists exist. I have distinct memories of a meteor busting me out of perma allowing me to bust into the armory and then as I was about to kill the warden another meteor hit me in the face and it was funny. The only use this thread has is in clarifying the low value of ranzer's opinions.
CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #552357

cacogen wrote:Just reduce the amount of meteors and their devastation.
This is probably a good idea - Honestly, a single large meteor that hits somewhere random and that's basically like an external bombing that you have 10 seconds warning for would actually be something almost interesting. Unfortunately, that would fall within the purview of coders, and they're not exactly known for their expedience.
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:meteors are there to end stale rounds, like blob, aliens, etc
The problem is that it's exceedingly hard to arbitrate what constitutes a "stale round" using code alone. As a way for admins to flush out a 2 hour greenshift that's not really going anywhere, sure, but it's far too chaotic and unmanageable for a dice roll.
confused rock wrote:While I'd like meteors even if they were just bad for everyone ever, they're not. antagonists exist. I have distinct memories of a meteor busting me out of perma allowing me to bust into the armory and then as I was about to kill the warden another meteor hit me in the face and it was funny. The only use this thread has is in clarifying the low value of ranzer's opinions.
One, antagonists are hardly constrained when it comes to escape options.
Two, if you've managed to get yourself caught and brigged, bringing the round to a premature end so that you can get your greentext in spite of your defeat is a shitty tradeoff for basically everybody but you, and you're not that important.
Three, I think I was one of the few people defending you when you got banned for nuking Kat Green's arms, so calling my opinions "low value" says more about you than it does about me.
Four, my name is CDranzer, as in C. Dranzer, as in Cross Dranzer, as in the Attack Ring of the Dranzer V2 Beyblade.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #552365

don’t try to stunbaton meteors and you will be fine

being killed by one is rare
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #552397

Meteor storms should cause a lot of meteors to come in from a single general direction, not all over like current. Makes them more devastating locally, but also a lot easier to focus repairs.
Tamaguen
Byond Username: Tamaguen

Post by Tamaguen » #552399

Meteor storms are important for admins who are sick of the current round and want to make it end.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #552402

>stunbaton meteors
should be able to hit them with a baseball bat to send them to bagil
NSFW:

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #552407

skoglol wrote:Meteor storms should cause a lot of meteors to come in from a single general direction, not all over like current. Makes them more devastating locally, but also a lot easier to focus repairs.
This would be good on top of an early warning announcement so you can actually react and prepare for it
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #552413

wesoda25 wrote:hoes mad
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #552415

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:meteors are there to end stale rounds, like blob, aliens, etc

but for reals though just slap some grilles up around the place a few tiles away from the hull
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #552440

no
NSFW:

Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #552442

Tamaguen wrote:Meteor storms are important for admins who are sick of the current round and want to make it end.
Based
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #552454

Honestly, my personal opinion, I like the chaos meteors bring, coordinating with fellow engineers to run across the station and toss foam grenades while making sure to prioritize high traffic areas is something I enjoy. God bless atmos fans.
CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #552457

oranges wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:hoes mad
Oranges this forum is for admins and players
Of which you are neither
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #552492

admins and players both work and play in my game
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #552503

As an engineer and medical main, meteors can be both the most annoying AND the most satisfying and interesting thing that happens in a given shift. At the same time.

Keep.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #552539

CDranzer wrote:Words, words, words.
You are wrong
SumFaggotPlayTester
Byond Username: SumFagPlayTester

Post by SumFaggotPlayTester » #553316

Seems like a better solution would be for an early warning detection that can be researched & built by engineering along with removing met shields as a station goal & making them something engineering can build every round; with a decent material cost of course. But they seem fine as it already is. A little chaos for chaos sake can be a good thing; that and gives an excuse to rebuild the maint bar into something bigger than spess Wally World.
PKPenguin321 wrote:i escaped the cuck shed once before and then another time via anal vore and ill do it again
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #553637

honestly I do think the random event of meteor storms is too frequent.
I don't know if random events are truly random or if they are weighted. If its true random then *shrug*, but if its weighted, such a station devastating event probably needs toning down. Specially because it only enables a small section of the crew into action (i.e. Silicons and engineers), the rest of the crew have to suffer.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #553641

peoplearestrange wrote: Specially because it only enables a small section of the crew into action (i.e. Silicons and engineers), the rest of the crew have to suffer.
This is a good point. Virology, xenobiology, and sec are always hardest hit by this, too, and then basically have to wait their turn to get back online.

If there's weighting it should be toned down. I haven't looked at the code so I don't know how much there is, but I don't know if this is something that can be done with policy/config, it may need to be a PR/balance decision.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #553903

peoplearestrange wrote:honestly I do think the random event of meteor storms is too frequent.
I don't know if random events are truly random or if they are weighted. If its true random then *shrug*, but if its weighted, such a station devastating event probably needs toning down. Specially because it only enables a small section of the crew into action (i.e. Silicons and engineers), the rest of the crew have to suffer.
All events are heavily weighted
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #553910

also certain events (including Catastrophic Meteors) are time gated - for example Xenos can't spawn normally unless 40 minutes have passed. There are lesser meteor waves that can spawn earlier but they tend to mostly be a danger to solars or make hull breaches as opposed to cratering entire departments.

That said, the round has to end at some point, and Meteors is one of the ways it can be pushed to end.

Also my memory may be failing me but I'm pretty sure event weights and timegating is purely code sided - don't believe it has a config unless I'm really blanking.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #554423

consider the following: meteors end rounds so people can play the spacegame faster instead of waiting 2 hours
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #554436

Rounds over 2 hours deserve to end so I think we should increase the chance of meteors the longer the round goes on. 4+ is just spam meteors like it's meteors mode.
► Show Spoiler
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #557691

We have no interest in disabling the meteor event.

Headmin votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Do not disable.
Phuzzylodgik: Do not disable.
TWATICUS: Do not disable.