Removing Cloner removes a failsafe for Medbay incompetence

General SS13 Chat
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #555759

Did anyone else notice occasionally having a round where medbay isn't on their game, and you end up repeatedly dying in medbay, as they are unable to revive you?

It's kind of an edge case situation, but ending up in limbo, where your character isn't dead so you can ghost, but isn't alive and you're in perpetual crit kind of sucks. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen more since the removal. Did other people have similar experiences? In the most recent situation, I think it was because they accidentally had me overdosing on some drugs, like Epinephrine, and even if I got revived I still had it in my blood and would go back into crit and die.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Re: Removing Cloner removes a failsafe for Medbay incompetence

Post by JusticeGoat » #555760

People decided the game needed to be hardcore, and we can't support two versions of the game so its either arcade fast pace or slowed down for RP where things are removed rather than improved or listening to any feedback from the people who play.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #555761

Honestly Helios. I recommend figuring out some sort of roundstart strategy with pod-personing. Maybe co-operate with botany, or ask them for one of their own trays and a cabbage and try to make a pod-person tray on the side.

Even botany mutating got neutered though. So.....it's a tough slice no matter where you look.
► Show Spoiler
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #555812

You can succumb while in crit
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #555825

epipen od isnt that bad to send you back to crit repeatly, in your case its either bloodloss (perpetual crit state) or liver failure (they gave you the wrong meds)
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #555839

If anything, right now, the biggest problem is ye old poison. Purge stomach doesn't work forever (Once the person run out of nutrient he's done vomitting), and high amounts of poison are irrecoverable otherwise since ytou can't feed dead people pentetic/salbutamol. but really, the problem is that most people will get organ damage too quickly when they die in maints or such, and by the time they get in a stasis bed (Assuming they aren't all occupied, and taht there is power on the station, and that medbay hasn't been bombed to the stone age yet), the recovery process requires a bunch of transplants (Which requires autolathe or a supply of stored organs), a lengthy session of surgery and a defib. It can easily take 30 minutes to get a ded man to life properly, even if you everything efficiently. If the doctor has any lack of familiarity, it will take longer yet.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #555913

i've been a lot more careful to not die now and i like that others have to do that too, but chems is the really kinda fucked part of medbay healing yeah
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #555914

just dont die
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #555915

what if I get random event heart attack while playing animal crossing on my pda in maint locker and instantly die
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #555919

Flatulent wrote:what if I get random event heart attack while playing animal crossing on my pda in maint locker and instantly die
No joke you can fix that with a shock grille
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #555920

I hold no stock in the argument that we can't make the game better because our players are too stupid sorry.

If you want to help practically, update the wiki
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #555955

IkeTG wrote:just dont die
pre cloning was a shit ton of suicide runs just to see if you could own the antag/sec/any conflict you made because you could get back in the game pretty easy if they didn't destroy your body (lol ahelp) now it's much harder to get back in the game for poopy behavior

i'd be more excited to see a return of a dangerous station that can kill you next
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #555964

JusticeGoat wrote:People decided the game needed to be hardcore, and we can't support two versions of the game so its either arcade fast pace or slowed down for RP where things are removed rather than improved or listening to any feedback from the people who play.
It's actually possible to have done just this. Could have run clooner removal as a "permanent" testmerge on Manuel, and left the other servers running main branch.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #555965

deedubya wrote:
JusticeGoat wrote:People decided the game needed to be hardcore, and we can't support two versions of the game so its either arcade fast pace or slowed down for RP where things are removed rather than improved or listening to any feedback from the people who play.
It's actually possible to have done just this. Could have run clooner removal as a "permanent" testmerge on Manuel, and left the other servers running main branch.
not really maintainable on a code side of things
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #555968

Biting on boomerstation bait
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #555997

deedubya wrote:
make it a config option in that case, youre overcomplicating it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #556022

PKPenguin321 wrote:
deedubya wrote:
make it a config option in that case, youre overcomplicating it
making it a config would also keep the malf clooner ruins too, that's not a bad idea

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #556024

Don't worry, they're removing stasis beds and replacing them with a dozen machines that don't do anything. Soon you won't have to worry about being revived every five seconds, you'll just stay dead.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #556029

CDranzer wrote:Don't worry, they're removing stasis beds and replacing them with a dozen machines that don't do anything. Soon you won't have to worry about being revived every five seconds, you'll just stay dead.
Yeah, I saw that. Actually made me chuckle a bit. First PR after getting the github back? More medbay nerfs.

I still don't understand why they're trying to code an HRP medical system for an LRP/NRP playerbase.

Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #556049

deedubya wrote:
CDranzer wrote:Don't worry, they're removing stasis beds and replacing them with a dozen machines that don't do anything. Soon you won't have to worry about being revived every five seconds, you'll just stay dead.
Yeah, I saw that. Actually made me chuckle a bit. First PR after getting the github back? More medbay nerfs.

I still don't understand why they're trying to code an HRP medical system for an LRP/NRP playerbase.
to its credit it really is not an "HRP" medical system, those are much worse
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #556054

medbay coders be like “more things means better, right?”
retired ss13 coderman
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #556055

anyone who doesn't think that you could end up in this situation during cloners never played during the days of quick cloning.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #556062

Even if you know what your doing replacing several organs takes time and surgical skill dosen't level up fast enough to make up for it unless you powergame Remove embedded objects.
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #556091

chocolate_bickie wrote:Even if you know what your doing replacing several organs takes time and surgical skill dosen't level up fast enough to make up for it unless you powergame Remove embedded objects.
you are like a baby there is already a legendary skill in 5 min strat made by me
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #556120

How is occasional collective incompetence of medbay fucking with people's round anyhow different from incompetent engineering leaving station devoid of power, incompetent cargo leaving station without mats/money for articles of first need in some situations or incompetent security throwing station into chaos and anarchy?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #556124

cause i'm dead
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #556125

This is a good thing.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #556144

It's like the game makes your life more valuable since you have to actually watch out for yourself or something.
Also, if medbay is too incompetent routinely then there's an answer for that and it was the same for engineering releasing the sing at the start of the story.
Take some responsibility and do it yourself, maybe.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #556176

Here's an idea for Manuel: there's no cloning, no defibs, no anything. People die when killed. But then you can respawn with a new character after short cooldown.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #556198

This just means medical has been elevated to a department that matters, I don't see an issue with this.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #556207

Cobby wrote:This just means medical has been elevated to a department that matters, I don't see an issue with this.
antags do be kinda deadly tho

3 hits you with an e-sword and 11 tc bombs your department
► Show Spoiler
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #556245

deedubya wrote:
That way you would have to maintain 10 maps instead of 5. One with cloning, one without.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #556266

Calomel wrote:If anything, right now, the biggest problem is ye old poison. Purge stomach doesn't work forever (Once the person run out of nutrient he's done vomitting), and high amounts of poison are irrecoverable otherwise since ytou can't feed dead people pentetic/salbutamol. but really, the problem is that most people will get organ damage too quickly when they die in maints or such, and by the time they get in a stasis bed (Assuming they aren't all occupied, and taht there is power on the station, and that medbay hasn't been bombed to the stone age yet), the recovery process requires a bunch of transplants (Which requires autolathe or a supply of stored organs), a lengthy session of surgery and a defib. It can easily take 30 minutes to get a ded man to life properly, even if you everything efficiently. If the doctor has any lack of familiarity, it will take longer yet.
That's awful
Arianya wrote:anyone who doesn't think that you could end up in this situation during cloners never played during the days of quick cloning.
This is true. But this was only an issue when half the station was dead so quick cloning was necessary.
If there's 10 people in line for the cloner, I can succumb by whispering, if they keep fucking up people's cloning, and whisper to them stop turning off the power while they're by the tank
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #556335

simple just dont be on the losing side
Akrilla
Byond Username: Akrilla
Github Username: Akrilla

Post by Akrilla » #556447

Is tg wanting to become more rp orienated, it feels the code wants it that way but the administration/policy side is still the same. That's my opinion on things.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #556475

Akrilla wrote:Is tg wanting to become more rp orienated, it feels the code wants it that way but the administration/policy side is still the same. That's my opinion on things.
I would disagree. Only way to become more RP oriented is...
Spoiler:
by SLOWING DOWN the game. This means removing most of the weapons from regular crew, toxins, singletanks, 1 hit ggs in general (cult, borg, flash) etc.
afelinidisfinetoo
Byond Username: A felinid is fine too

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #556576

There doesn't need to be a failsafe for medbay incompetence. If medbay is incompetent there should be consequences, just like there are consequences if any other department is incompetent.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #556580

The RP level we're at right now is just fine thanks.

Increasing it only serves to gut actual fun mechanics and battles, with words words words words and emotes.

for an example, antags on paradise can't do a thing without getting banned. Even attacking sec attacking them! would cop a ban.
► Show Spoiler
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #556627

Shadowflame909 wrote:The RP level we're at right now is just fine thanks.

Increasing it only serves to gut actual fun mechanics and battles, with words words words words and emotes.

for an example, antags on paradise can't do a thing without getting banned. Even attacking sec attacking them! would cop a ban.
that's just cause paradise fucking sucks