/tg/ Github Suspended Megathread

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Re: /tg/ Github Suspended Megathread

Post by deedubya » #555720

Bottom post of the previous page:

Vekter wrote:There's really zero reason not to make the changes.
protecting the culture and history of ss13 versus appeasing some butthurt SJWs

frankly with the resources you guys have I'm surprised you don't have the option of a privately hosted git
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #555726

i was gonna make the changes until i discovered oranges and spookydonut already did them: https://github.com/optimumtact/-tg-stat ... 33197ed097

i don't see any culture or history here worth losing github access over
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

MrDoomBringer
Byond Username: MrDoomBringer

Post by MrDoomBringer » #555731

We could also move to gitlab and just archive this repo's PR/issue bodies/comments so we don't have to worry about this kinda stuff in the future
yam_difficult_perc
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by yam_difficult_perc » #555732

Does the word faggot count as culture?
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #555745

yam_difficult_perc wrote:Does the word faggot count as culture?
It is a traditional dish in the united kingdom, banning the use of this word is an act of hatred and racism towards the english people and indescribably intolerant towards native anglo culture. I will gladly stand with the discriminated and persecuted to make it known to github and certain other people that hatred has no place in 2020 and that diversity will prevail!
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #555749

BONERMASTER wrote:
yam_difficult_perc wrote:Does the word faggot count as culture?
It is a traditional dish in the united kingdom, banning the use of this word is an act of hatred and racism towards the english people and indescribably intolerant towards native anglo culture. I will gladly stand with the discriminated and persecuted to make it known to github and certain other people that hatred has no place in 2020 and that diversity will prevail!
you can't be racist to white people.

edit:hmm this does appear to not be the hut thread so i'd like to say our problem is easily solved with config fill ins and just removing some bad offenders that aren't worth keeping, gitlab is totally out of the picture now that github is giving us a day to clean it all up
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #555764

MrDoomBringer wrote:We could also move to gitlab and just archive this repo's PR/issue bodies/comments so we don't have to worry about this kinda stuff in the future
according to oranges in discord, gitlab has the same language rules but i was under the impression it didnt but idk
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MCterra
Byond Username: Mcterra

Post by MCterra » #555783

deedubya wrote:
Vekter wrote:There's really zero reason not to make the changes.
protecting the culture and history of ss13 versus appeasing some butthurt SJWs

frankly with the resources you guys have I'm surprised you don't have the option of a privately hosted git
I'm pretty sure that would eliminate all possibility of a CI system or simple webhooks though, depending it might also ruin pull requests and issues depending on what service you pick. Obviously pull requests and the like will be a non-issue if it's something like a private gitlab instance, but CI will still be a problem.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #555789

deedubya wrote:protecting the culture and history of ss13 versus appeasing some butthurt SJWs
huge fucking lol
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #555808

i don't know why i didn't put quotation marks around culture and history

i'm not british but hours of intensive research into the matter have lead me to believe the faggots in-game are better described as meatballs anyway due to the lack of organs involved in making them

the other important piece of culture and heritage we're losing is the conjecture surrounding george melons' sexuality which while irrelevant to his status as a griefer or traitor is nonetheless potentially queer erasure which is an important issue that should be handled with the utmost of care and respect
NSFW:

TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #555853

I am kinda sad that we'll lose moments like when some tider beat me up because i cooked up a faggot for him
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #555854

Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #555863

MrDoomBringer wrote:We could also move to gitlab and just archive this repo's PR/issue bodies/comments so we don't have to worry about this kinda stuff in the future
That's implying and assuming that GitLab won't eventually have the same policy. Better process is to just remove it. We don't lose anything significant and we avoid the goddamn nightmare moving repos is going to cause.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #555866

Code: Select all

armor_modifiers = list("melee" = 0.2, "bullet" = 0.2, "laser" = 0, "energy" = 1, "bomb" = 0, "bio" = 0.2, "rad" = 0.2, "fire" = 1, "acid" = 0.2) // yeah ok retard
Quality code comment
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
MrDoomBringer
Byond Username: MrDoomBringer

Post by MrDoomBringer » #555867

yaay we did it its back
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #555871

Despite the ToS violation, it's still frustrating that Github would just ban a large, active open-source codebase with no warning and no reason given, make everyone wait a week for a response, and then only give a day to make any corrections.
Like, all they had to do was ask nicely.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #555880

Cheridan wrote:Despite the ToS violation, it's still frustrating that Github would just ban a large, active open-source codebase with no warning and no reason given, make everyone wait a week for a response, and then only give a day to make any corrections.
I suspect the quality of the service provided is proportional to https://github.com/pricing
francinum
Byond Username: Francinum
Github Username: francinum

Post by francinum » #555890

Moving to self-hosted services doesn't preclude webhooks, Selfhosting git platforms exist, CI would be a bit harder, as you'de likely have to run that yourself as well, there's nothing outright *preventing* TG from moving to that model.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #555908

make a fully open source github alternative to complete the circle
Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #555938

TheSmallBlue wrote:I am kinda sad that we'll lose moments like when some tider beat me up because i cooked up a faggot for him
u can use pen to name it a faggot so we are still good
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #555942

To the people talking about self hosting

Hosting a git instance is not as easy as turning on a VM and installing gitea or gitlab packages, the installation is 1% of the effort, 99% of it is maintaining a performing, secure and backed up service and upgrading it from time to time. You are grossly GROSSLY misunderstanding the effort required to run a modern service with as much complexity as gitlab/github and the amount of man hours that needs to be spent on that.

Bear in mind that we
A) can just barely afford the game servers we have
B) still do not have an operations team maintaining that infrastructure.

We do not have the staffing to maintain infrastructure to the same level as gitlab or github or even to a level of quality I would find acceptable and as such we would have to sacrifice in security, in stability, in performance and in CI/integrations.

A simple cost benefit analysis of that indicates that the obvious answer is to make the changes, which were small and non particularly burdensome.

To the people dragging on support

There is a worldwide health pandemic ripping through most countries and it was over a long weekend in most countries.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #556030

Cheridan wrote:Despite the ToS violation, it's still frustrating that Github would just ban a large, active open-source codebase with no warning and no reason given, make everyone wait a week for a response, and then only give a day to make any corrections.
I highly doubt anyone actually went through the repo with any context or thought. I'm 95% certain they just ran it through a script or just searched for it, found a no-no word, and slapped a ban on it. There's also the possibility that whoever ran the script or answered our ticket was outsourced to some guy in a 3rd world country if Microsoft is involved. That's just how modern tech does things now a days. Fickle, out of focus, and in a constant self preservation mode to have the least potential of a law suit.

I said it earlier but we all knew years ago that this could happen, Only thing we can do it make sure we have a back up and keep playing the "I found something I don't like, so now you're gone" game.
Spoiler:
Seriously though, the lack of a warning or even having someone contacting the repo owner is absolutely appalling on their part. Reminds me when they goof got banned and lost all of his shit, Like fuck. Give at least a 24 hour notice to fix it or that you're gonna get shit canned.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #556044

Replace all instances of "retard" with "github employee", problem solved.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #556048

Durkel wrote:
I highly doubt anyone actually went through the repo with any context or thought. I'm 95% certain they just ran it through a script or just searched for it, found a no-no word, and slapped a ban on it. There's also the possibility that whoever ran the script or answered our ticket was outsourced to some guy in a 3rd world country if Microsoft is involved. That's just how modern tech does things now a days. Fickle, out of focus, and in a constant self preservation mode to have the least potential of a law suit.

I said it earlier but we all knew years ago that this could happen, Only thing we can do it make sure we have a back up and keep playing the "I found something I don't like, so now you're gone" game.
Spoiler:
Seriously though, the lack of a warning or even having someone contacting the repo owner is absolutely appalling on their part. Reminds me when they goof got banned and lost all of his shit, Like fuck. Give at least a 24 hour notice to fix it or that you're gonna get shit canned.
Speaking of when goof got banned, I think it's dumb as fuck that they have a literal banbot actively scanning for comments that say "retard" instead of just wordfiltering "retard" so you can't post it in the first place
Spoiler:
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #556058

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Durkel wrote:

Spoiler:
Speaking of when goof got banned, I think it's dumb as fuck that they have a literal banbot actively scanning for comments that say "retard" instead of just wordfiltering "retard" so you can't post it in the first place
they dont have banbots scanning, they act on reports, i said many bad words on github but only got banned once when i called out a citadel maint
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #556135

what if whoever reported it wanted to frame iamgoofball
NSFW:

peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #556161

When did the hub get back online?

Did github give a reason?

Can someone update the OP topic, ty :)
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #556178

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Durkel wrote:

Spoiler:
I'm not a big fan of protecting line-toers personally, if someone is going to break a rule (or try the rules), they should be held responsible.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #556222

>we want to ban these words so that people arent triggered
>BUT we need to allow you to post these words so you can be held responsible
>now they can get triggered AND you can get banned!
>hooray, nobody wins!
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #556223

>Well gentlemen, 9/11 happened last week and the airports need to reopen. What do you say to implementing these preventative measures, which would stop terrorists from hijacking planes?
>"Get the fuck out of here, we need to LET them hijack the planes so that we can hold them responsible after the fact. That way everyone can see how strong our virtues are!"
Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #556232

PKPenguin321 wrote:>Well gentlemen, 9/11 happened last week and the airports need to reopen. What do you say to implementing these preventative measures, which would stop terrorists from hijacking planes?
>"Get the fuck out of here, we need to LET them hijack the planes so that we can hold them responsible after the fact. That way everyone can see how strong our virtues are!"
>"Oh boy you were trying to sneak a bomb through the airport inside your shoe! We check shoes for bombs, you know, come back later with a better hidden bomb!"
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #556236

What people are saying without bringing in 9/11 is that the ic in ooc filter config was a good idea, github should follow in our stead
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #556250

XDTM wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:>Well gentlemen, 9/11 happened last week and the airports need to reopen. What do you say to implementing these preventative measures, which would stop terrorists from hijacking planes?
>"Oh boy you were trying to sneak a bomb through the airport inside your shoe! We check shoes for bombs, you know, come back later with a better hidden bomb!"
this is literally how it works in real life
Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #556367

PKPenguin321 wrote:
XDTM wrote:
this is literally how it works in real life
i'd think you get arrested or something, but maybe i'm just misinformed

Anyway i don't mind either method of policing language from github for comments, although for whole repos a bit of warning would definitely be better than insta-disabling it, i'd think most would simply solve the issue and avoid breaking the rule anymore without the week-long blackout.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.