Straight up remove Secret Extended gamemode

Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Straight up remove Secret Extended gamemode

Post by Istoprocent1 » #528203

Bottom post of the previous page:

Imagine readying up to play a game of paranoia-laden roleplaying game set against the backdrop of a nonsensical, metal death trap masquerading as a space station, only to find out that you have been tricked into playing a round of extended with no paranoia to be had, no mysteries to be solved and no antags to be dealt with. You are trapped with just the tiders and have next to no purpose for the reminder of the round.

Why is Secret Extended still a thing? At least with the regular Extended one can instantly tune out after it is announced within 5 minutes of the game.

Thoughts?
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Re: Straight up remove Secret Extended gamemode

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #529117

The problem is that sec doesn't care about the sop on normal rounds either
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #529119

Then like I said, maybe enforcing those standards needs to be something that's done more often. Just enforcing the rules and standards we already have in place more often would make a shockingly positive difference to this community.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #529130

deedubya wrote:Honestly, rather than entertain the idea of removing Secret Extended, we should add in Fake Extended as well, if we don't already have it.(I don't recall seeing it) Maybe it'd teach people to stop treating extended as a fucking tider's free for all, and maybe bring higher RP standards as SOP starts getting enforced. I bet 95% of the playerbase don't even know what the fuck SOP even is.

tl;dr on fake extended: It's a green alert shift, and all SGs are available, but traitors are still rolled as though it were a secret round.
This is a mentally challenged idea. Yog forces SOP to the point, where security players get punished yet non-security can do as they please.

>be antag, random borg validhunts (which is against the rules on yog) - a ok
>be antag, random botanist beats me to death - a ok
>be solo security as a detective, spend 30+ minutes doing forensics etc, capture a guy with full 20TC in his inventory + SM steal kit, shoot him in the head - banned for 3 days, k, never again

Handling an assistant "tiding" and giving them a 1 minute sentence, which by the way is usually the same amount it takes to search them, is pointless. In essence you have wasted 1 minute + the time it took to catch that assistant, while the assistant spent all the time "tiding" and will continue to "tide", because the next time he is caught it will be the same 1 minute again. If Space Law had 3 strike system - 3rd time you are caught for whatever crime, you can be treated as an antag to the fullest extent, only then would be playing Extended or Secret Extended make sense for security. Otherwise its "getting griefed as sec" or "getting griefed as sec, but you don't know it until like 30 minutes into the game" gamemode.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #529150

give them 100 points in the gulag then :smug:
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #529157

space law is a suggestion

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #529240

Istoprocent1 wrote:
deedubya wrote:Honestly, rather than entertain the idea of removing Secret Extended, we should add in Fake Extended as well, if we don't already have it.(I don't recall seeing it) Maybe it'd teach people to stop treating extended as a fucking tider's free for all, and maybe bring higher RP standards as SOP starts getting enforced. I bet 95% of the playerbase don't even know what the fuck SOP even is.

tl;dr on fake extended: It's a green alert shift, and all SGs are available, but traitors are still rolled as though it were a secret round.
This is a mentally challenged idea. Yog forces SOP to the point, where security players get punished yet non-security can do as they please.

>be antag, random borg validhunts (which is against the rules on yog) - a ok
>be antag, random botanist beats me to death - a ok
>be solo security as a detective, spend 30+ minutes doing forensics etc, capture a guy with full 20TC in his inventory + SM steal kit, shoot him in the head - banned for 3 days, k, never again

Handling an assistant "tiding" and giving them a 1 minute sentence, which by the way is usually the same amount it takes to search them, is pointless. In essence you have wasted 1 minute + the time it took to catch that assistant, while the assistant spent all the time "tiding" and will continue to "tide", because the next time he is caught it will be the same 1 minute again. If Space Law had 3 strike system - 3rd time you are caught for whatever crime, you can be treated as an antag to the fullest extent, only then would be playing Extended or Secret Extended make sense for security. Otherwise its "getting griefed as sec" or "getting griefed as sec, but you don't know it until like 30 minutes into the game" gamemode.
SOP =/= Space Law. Thanks for proving my point, 95 percenter.

Also, you're aware that even under Space Law, you're allowed to escalate sentences for repeat offenders, correct? If you have to keep arresting the same tiding shitter repeatedly, you're well within your right to escalate to capital punishment.

also maybe we should be punishing assisatants for tiding and validhunting as well, not just security

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #529241

The fuck is SOP.

Don't just go "I bet 95% of people don't know what SOP is" when the abbreviation isn't explained anywhere in this thread.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #529245

standard operating procedure
he means acting like an irl cop
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #529246

It's not only a wiki page, but also literally spelled out for you every time the alert level changes.

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Standard_O ... _Procedure

Spoiler:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #529252

That's a bad idea because it destroys the main reason for announced extended: to know that you can finally do the long-term project you never bothered to start on secret rounds. Considering you're still not guaranteed to be safe since some admins see announced extended as a green light to push buttons, adding fake extended on top of it would just be annoying as hell.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #529253

teepeepee wrote:standard operating procedure
he means acting like an irl cop
I am all for giving traitors a bit more leniency and not executing them at the first sign of smoking a syndi cigarette, but the way some other servers handle SOP is just idiotic.

I got jobbanned on yog ages ago because I bucklecuffed someone in the brig while a malf AI set the station on fire, shocked all the doors and I was getting shot at by rogue secborgs.
Dude, going 3 strikes out is fine, I do it all the time. Usually for minor shittery I just confiscate harmful/stolen items and stuff used for breaking and entering. Second strike I send them to the gulag for some moderate amount of points. Third strike I put them in perma or go bowling with their head.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #529285

deedubya wrote:SOP =/= Space Law. Thanks for proving my point, 95 percenter.
Ok boomer. There is a SOP for brigging in the Space Law itself as well as the addendum in its own article.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #529332

Grazyn wrote:

That's a bad idea because it destroys the main reason for announced extended: to know that you can finally do the long-term project you never bothered to start on secret rounds. Considering you're still not guaranteed to be safe since some admins see announced extended as a green light to push buttons, adding fake extended on top of it would just be annoying as hell.
That's the entire point. The possibility of shit happening to muck up your perfect plan is part of the game. Players relying on the (possibly incorrect) information given to them and acting accordingly rather than relying on the meta-info of "well there MIGHT be an antag so I won't even play properly" is how the game is supposed to be played. It seems this fact is lost on a lot of people these days.

Spoiler:
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #529344

deedubya wrote:That's the entire point. The possibility of shit happening to muck up your perfect plan is part of the game. Players relying on the (possibly incorrect) information given to them and acting accordingly rather than relying on the meta-info of "well there MIGHT be an antag so I won't even play properly" is how the game is supposed to be played. It seems this fact is lost on a lot of people these days.
Spoiler:
Thats why DYNAMIC is the best gamemode out there. There is much less metainformation one can rely on - discover a cult? Okay, but you don't automatically know about the 2 traitors trying to do their thing and so on. Also there is no Secret Extended in Dynamic.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #529534

For the record, I agree that dynamic being in the rotation is a good thing. Mostly because of that very reason. Partly because it's fun on occasion to have the wham bam fuckfest of 4 different antag types in the same round.

Spoiler:
angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #529582

deedubya is secretly a JIDF agent that advocates for change even though he doesn't really play the game

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #529584

Tarchonvaagh wrote:The problem is that sec doesn't care about the sop on normal rounds either
What sop?
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #529643

off topic but this thread is dumb anyway, I find i have more fun as sec when I follow SOP

course if you have actual threats going on you don't have the liberty of caring about that shit
[this space reserved]
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #529716

pugie wrote:
Tarchonvaagh wrote:The problem is that sec doesn't care about the sop on normal rounds either
What sop?
suck oral penis
standard operating procedure
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #529720

This thread is a very long way of saying "I want to play on Hippie Station but on tg"
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #530301

Rustledjimm wrote:This thread is a very long way of saying "I want to play on Hippie Station but on tg"
This could be turned around and said that if the active elements from the game are removed somebody wants to play minecraft, but on SS13 and so on.

Think about it in reverse. What if there was a gamemode called Extended Secret - there will be an announcement that the round is going to play out as Extended, but in reality there are active threats from tots to nukeops. Now a minecraft player who is like "yes, i get 60+ minutes to do my autism project without any threats signs up to play the game", but the round ends 10 minutes in because wizard was slain or revs/heads got rekt. How many false rounds would it take for the minecraft player to get unhappy?

I am completely fine with Extended rounds if they are called out at the beginning and I know that "hey, now I can do my autism projects as well instead of focusing on being sec in a round, where nothing but tiding happens".
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #530313

That's called fake extended and I'd love to see it get added.

Spoiler:
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #530321

deedubya wrote:That's called fake extended and I'd love to see it get added.
Only thing we need is Dynamic to circumvent any metagame and a regular Extended to unwind from hi-octane action of Dynamic. The less fake gamemodes there are the better.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #534115

Can we please remove this already? I know the concept is to bazinga paranoia or something, but the reality is just that half the crew have no purpose on extended.

I just played another hour of secret extended AI and it is the most boring thing ever.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #534144

Again I still feels more like a problem of your play style than a game mode issue.
A fair few rounds have been run very successfully on Manuel as secret extended with only random events being thrown in as normal.

Maybe the solution is to take it off certain servers. Or if you really had extended that much go play on Terry where is 24/7 dynamic, you'll never see a "dull" round again. Good luck with that.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #534244

peoplearestrange wrote:Again I still feels more like a problem of your play style than a game mode issue.
A fair few rounds have been run very successfully on Manuel as secret extended with only random events being thrown in as normal.

Maybe the solution is to take it off certain servers. Or if you really had extended that much go play on Terry where is 24/7 dynamic, you'll never see a "dull" round again. Good luck with that.
It is not a problem of my playstyle, it is a problem of the job design.

There isn't much the AI can do when all is well for example.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #534340

peoplearestrange wrote:Again I still feels more like a problem of your play style than a game mode issue.

I played a secret extended round on Manuel and it was absolute cancer. Absolutely nothing at all happened in 90 min before i decided to disconnect. We had two patients in medbay in 90 min for minor injuries. One of the worst experiences playing the game i've had recently.

The game doesn't work without any chance of conflict. There weren't even any greytiders or workplace conflict to drive the round.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #534368

Kryson wrote:

I played a secret extended round on Manuel and it was absolute cancer. Absolutely nothing at all happened in 90 min before i decided to disconnect. We had two patients in medbay in 90 min for minor injuries. One of the worst experiences playing the game i've had recently.

The game doesn't work without any chance of conflict. There weren't even any greytiders or workplace conflict to drive the round.
it depends on your job, what you decide to do during that downtime, and if there's any admins on
Limey wrote:its too late.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #551915

Changed my mind fuck sextended
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #551943

I think the problem is less with extended itself and more with a general lack of stuff to do during downtime from the action. Nearly everything that goes on in game is driven in one way or another by antags, so it makes sense that removing them makes the game feel pretty incomplete. So how to solve this? More minor stuff, more minor situations that require player interaction- have a station that can feel fun to play on for two hours with no major conflict, and suddenly extended will be more enjoyable.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #552373

Screemonster wrote:secret extended is a massive fuckin' shitter-detector though 'cause any admins observing know damn well that none of the unfolding chaos was sparked by antags stirring the pot
Secret extended always had the worst fucking tickets.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #554326

this just feels like somebody got really mad that they cant kill antag, some of the most enjoyable rounds for me were sekrit extended
probably doesnt work on manuel though because fucking nothing happens there anyways
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #554357

Tarchonvaagh wrote:Changed my mind fuck sextended
Attaboi, you have seen the truth.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #554486

saprasam wrote:this just feels like somebody got really mad that they cant kill antag, some of the most enjoyable rounds for me were sekrit extended
probably doesnt work on manuel though because fucking nothing happens there anyways
Actually only a couple days ago there was a ton of paranoia over a fake cult on manuel, so much so that the shuttle was called.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #554487

cybersaber101 wrote:
saprasam wrote:this just feels like somebody got really mad that they cant kill antag, some of the most enjoyable rounds for me were sekrit extended
Actually only a couple days ago there was a ton of paranoia over a fake cult on manuel, so much so that the shuttle was called.
Make Secret Extended 24/7 on Manuel then and leave other servers alone?
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #554546

please dont
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #557693

We have no interest in disabling secret extended.

Headmin votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Do not disable.
Phuzzylodgik: Do not disable.
TWATICUS: Do not disable.