Enable widescreen

angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Enable widescreen

Post by angelstarri » #558327

The boomer administration never resolved anything of this. Will the gamer administration finally bring TG to 21st century standards?

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: Enable widescreen

Post by cacogen » #558329

nobody has 4:3 screens anymore aside from homeless slavs squatting in derelict commie blocks and they have their own server
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #558331

Don't, it gives you more view range horizontally than vertically for no reason. Imagine escaping sightlines more easily by going up instead of going left completely arbitrarily. It's really stupid
"but muh big monitor"
fuck you i also have a big monitor but the game works perfectly fine with a square display instead of a wack rectangle. a tile-based top down game does not need higher "FOV," it's not a fucking FPS where you can reasonably have wider view range than you have taller.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #558343

PKPenguin321 wrote:Don't, it gives you more view range horizontally than vertically for no reason. Imagine escaping sightlines more easily by going up instead of going left completely arbitrarily. It's really stupid
"but muh big monitor"
fuck you i also have a big monitor but the game works perfectly fine with a square display instead of a wack rectangle. a tile-based top down game does not need higher "FOV," it's not a fucking FPS where you can reasonably have wider view range than you have taller.
basically this.

i have a 16:9 monitor and i was not a huge fan. the most i can say for it is that it was tolerable.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #558345

PKPenguin321 wrote:Don't, it gives you more view range horizontally than vertically for no reason. Imagine escaping sightlines more easily by going up instead of going left completely arbitrarily. It's really stupid
"but muh big monitor"
what do you mean? this already happens

rectangle is better only problem is black blindlness screens are still a small square when wide is enabled so you can see in the additional squares
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #558354

Realistically we should probably just run a poll to see what size screen most people have (in resolution i.e. 1920 x 1080) and make a decision on widescreen based on that.

Tlaltecuhtli wrote: rectangle is better only problem is black blindlness screens are still a small square when wide is enabled so you can see in the additional squares
I mean, that's a bug which is more liable to be fixed if widescreen is enabled.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #558355

As a reminder, this is what 1920x1080 with no stretching of the game viewport looks like:
Spoiler:
I think we can agree we're a bit beyond the era when this was the median display size.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #558356

That's not an argument for widescreen, that's an argument for increasing the default icon size.

Maybe the discussion should be around increasing the view range? its currently 7 (15x15), but it could be 8 (17x17) as well as the default icon scale.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #558357

HDstation13 when
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #558374

MrStonedOne wrote:That's not an argument for widescreen, that's an argument for increasing the default icon size.

Maybe the discussion should be around increasing the view range? its currently 7 (15x15), but it could be 8 (17x17) as well as the default icon scale.
not sure if its integrated to byond but is it possible to make the bar where you type at the bottom only go in the chat part of the screen? thats like 1 extra tile thats could help expand for perfect square view point
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #558375

I like having more space for my chat screen.
This game is best played with everyone having the same view range.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #558376

1. Several parts of the code depend on view range being a square, it's going to cause both technical and balance issues in the current state

2. To make full use of widescreen you
have to squish your chat further to
the side - you can imagine why this is
very annoying in a game where most
visual feedback is relayed entirely
through text.
This problem does not get better
regardless of the size and ratio of
your screen.

This was discussed at length in the PR that added it, I don't know why people keep getting the impression that only someone who's still using a 4:3 CRT monitor from 1995 wouldn't want to use widescreen
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/43754
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #558397

Hot take: Make the view window widescreen, but use the extra space for UI elements instead of view distance
Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #558398

That's it, development has moved from Dream maker to dream weaver
angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #558401

Mickyan wrote:1. Several parts of the code depend on view range being a square, it's going to cause both technical and balance issues in the current state

2. To make full use of widescreen you
have to squish your chat further to
the side - you can imagine why this is
very annoying in a game where most
visual feedback is relayed entirely
through text.
This problem does not get better
regardless of the size and ratio of
your screen.

This was discussed at length in the PR that added it, I don't know why people keep getting the impression that only someone who's still using a 4:3 CRT monitor from 1995 wouldn't want to use widescreen
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/43754
how can someone so based be so wrong

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #558422

just make the chat widescreen and game tallscreen
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #559815

We've enabled widescreen on all servers for testing, gonna keep this thread open for feedback.
Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Phuzzylodgik: Yes.
TWATICUS: Yes.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #559819

sounds pretty drastic, might wanna make an announcement or...something.
edit: I mean, was there a big demand for this, is there a design reason?
Last edited by cybersaber101 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #559823

Coconutwarrior97 wrote:We've enabled widescreen on all servers for testing, gonna keep this thread open for feedback.
Headmin Votes:
Phuzzylodgik: Yes.
Damn gamer you can't just turn Twat into a puppet like that
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Fikou
Code Maintainer

Post by Fikou » #559827

w-wheres twaticus on that vote
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #559837

For those that aren't familiar, this is what widescreen looks like.

I'm not a huge fan so far.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #559854

Mickyan wrote:1. Several parts of the code depend on view range being a square, it's going to cause both technical and balance issues in the current state
These would be classified as bugs, I added the config fully intending to support widescreen as an option
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #559884

Do not like it at all, but then i am playing on a smaller resolution than most. Could definitely adjust to it if forced, but the smaller chat window feels awkward.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #559887

I was slightly more opposed to this before rune chat, but now that we have rune chat Im all for this since these days a large portion of the game takes place actually in the world view screen now and I really like it.
Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #559901

How do I make my window square?
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #559914

The current widescreen sucks. It makes clicking harder for people who don't play the game on 40' tvs as well as increase the eyestrain. It was better the way it has been for years.
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #559926

I don't like this. I play on fairly old computer with LCD monitor set to 1920x1080 and I'd still much prefer square viewport.
  • Relevant perhaps to old computers only - more tiles to draw means more CPU usage and lower framerate. This is why I don't like larger viewport and would not like changes like view range being expanded in way ghost verb does from current value.
  • Chat area is still pretty important to me, I also reserve space above chat for machine UIs. Wider viewport means less space there both for chat and additional windows.
  • Disable widescreen and see less than other people might or suffer above? Why do this choice?
  • Seeing more on horizontal axis is kinda strange. I don't want to be forced to do strategic choices like running specifically north or south to leave view range of enemy faster. Neither I'd like to do strategic choices when fortifying positions to keep main paths visible on horizontal axis. It's too odd.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #559929

You know you can use the normal viewport size right?

you are only forced to use widescreen if you feel that you will lose a powergame advantage by not using it, at which point I have no real sympathy for you or your cause.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #559958

Now that I've played with this, it's actually pretty comfy. I'm running 1920 x 1080 and it looks pretty alright. The extra real estate is kinda nice. I'm not a huge fan of having to squish my text box, but I'll get over it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #559964

Vekter wrote:Now that I've played with this, it's actually pretty comfy. I'm running 1920 x 1080 and it looks pretty alright. The extra real estate is kinda nice. I'm not a huge fan of having to squish my text box, but I'll get over it.
Basically this. I think I'd like it less if we didn't have runechat going on. It's so much easier to follow conversations with that feature.
DapperMola
Byond Username: Dapper Mola

Post by DapperMola » #560060

sincerely dislike the scrunched chat box, and i am very much opposed to the idea of some people having an objective advantage simply by choosing a different setting
Jeremy Mola whispers "Oh fuck that's a real gun."

"Their lives have been rendered forfeit by the enormity of their crimes. Order must be restored, at any cost."
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #560076

imagine a traitor shooting you offscreen and he doesn't like widescreen either but he was more willing to powergame than you were. Oranges, please stop being dumb as fuck.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #560084

oranges wrote:You know you can use the normal viewport size right?

you are only forced to use widescreen if you feel that you will lose a powergame advantage by not using it, at which point I have no real sympathy for you or your cause.
"just get fucked by people who do use this feature if you don't like it" is a weird way to defend it
I'm neutral on it since I haven't had a chance to try it yet
Fikou
Code Maintainer

Post by Fikou » #560090

feels really weird with guns like the kinetic crusher that previously could reach the end of your screen
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #560095

teepeepee wrote:
oranges wrote:You know you can use the normal viewport size right?

"just get fucked by people who do use this feature if you don't like it" is a weird way to defend it
I'm neutral on it since I haven't had a chance to try it yet
I believe the concern is overblown to the maximum, by a bunch of pearl clutching aholes
angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #560157

if you are slow enough to not be able to dodge a bullet coming at you from outside normal view range you deserve to die change my mind

Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #560158

hey look you can buy a monitor that runs widescreen for 13$!!!!!!! thats like 2 mcdonald meals, go and buy one instead of complaining your monitor is old
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 53&_sop=15
halitosisman
Byond Username: Halitosisman

Post by halitosisman » #560203

Where's support for tallscreens? How's a man supposed to mount his screen on a 90 degree pivot to maximize his view range?
Fikou
Code Maintainer

Post by Fikou » #560206

bad layout of action buttons and the hud, i think the popups when you hover over items are broken too
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #560212

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #560222

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:hey look you can buy a monitor that runs widescreen for 13$!!!!!!! thats like 2 mcdonald meals, go and buy one instead of complaining your monitor is old
Well shit then, lets just add stun resistance for $6. Its only one mcdonalds meal. If you do not want to, then its your fault!

Does widescreen offer anything of value? Will it allow for any actual improvements to the game? The visuals are not better. Its 3 tiles on each end of the screen that we do not NEED for anything, right? If it were optional with no gameplay advantages, then i think it would be completely fine. But its not, so for the overall fairness of the game, it should not be enabled.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #560223

Alex Crimson wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:hey look you can buy a monitor that runs widescreen for 13$!!!!!!! thats like 2 mcdonald meals, go and buy one instead of complaining your monitor is old
Well shit then, lets just add stun resistance for $6. Its only one mcdonalds meal. If you do not want to, then its your fault!

Does widescreen offer anything of value? Will it allow for any actual improvements to the game? The visuals are not better. Its 3 tiles on each end of the screen that we do not NEED for anything, right? If it were optional with no gameplay advantages, then i think it would be completely fine. But its not, so for the overall fairness of the game, it should not be enabled.
It's two bonus tiles per side, not three.

I'm looking for "what can you see now that you couldn't before" Meta station edition.

Chemistry, is someone working science or vis sersa?
Science hallway, is there someone on the surgery table in robotics?
Science Hallway you can see if someone used the last mixer.
4 more botany trays
Can see entire kitchen from main hallways(already an option from the bar)
Center of bridge, you can now see the plastic flaps for side entry vs not at all until someone is in.
A bit of the left hallway as the HOP from his desk, but it's a shit angle.
2 full cells from the wardens desk versus 1.5
Vision range on the SM is WEIRD now
The science and medical security posts can now see chemistry/science proper without leaving, which is big buffs. Engineering is still trash and cargo's new location is also trash BUT cargo's could see into the now not even dark warehouse so everything about that is bad anyways.

Was this a decent enough write up that I should do other stations?

AI gets more interesting things since they can sit on walls, but they already had multicam and it didn't break the game balance the way everyone pearl clutchingly said it would when it was added.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #560226

Nabski wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:

I'm looking for "what can you see now that you couldn't before" Meta station edition.

4 more botany trays
Center of bridge, you can now see the plastic flaps for side entry vs not at all until someone is in.
The science and medical security posts can now see chemistry/science proper without leaving, which is big buffs. Engineering is still trash and cargo's new location is also trash BUT cargo's could see into the now not even dark warehouse so everything about that is bad anyways.

AI gets more interesting things since they can sit on walls, but they already had multicam and it didn't break the game balance the way everyone pearl clutchingly said it would when it was added.
Which would all be great, if not for the fact that some people do not like widescreen or are unable to use it. That alone is reason not to enable it. I doubt anyone will miss these things if widescreen were disabled again. Once again, these are not things you NEED to have to the point that the in-game advantage is justified.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #560228

Alex Crimson wrote:
Nabski wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:

4 more botany trays

Which would all be great, if not for the fact that some people do not like widescreen or are unable to use it. That alone is reason not to enable it. I doubt anyone will miss these things if widescreen were disabled again. Once again, these are not things you NEED to have to the point that the in-game advantage is justified.
Just because you are stuck in 1998 doesn't mean we should all be forced to.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #560230

Nabski wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:
Nabski wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:

4 more botany trays

Just because you are stuck in 1998 doesn't mean we should all be forced to.
There are people in this thread saying they do not like it even with modern resolutions. Find a better excuse. Its an ancient 2D tile-based game. There is no reason to make changes like this when it adds nothing of value to the game. If you could provide actual reasons why widescreen is important to SS13 moving forward, id have no issues with it. Right now, all you have is seeing more of the map, which is not needed, and the fact widescreen is not forced means that some will be playing with an in-game advantage.

So again, how is widescreen improving the game, and why is the current 15x15 in need of changing?
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #560233

The pay2win argument doesn’t hold much sway, in my view. Widescreen monitors are cheap, and nearly ubiquitous. This isn’t like draw distance in a graphically intensive MMO- it’s just a cheap monitor that became the norm ten years ago.

Rather, I’m a bit concerned about the strategic implications. It’s already been said, but the idea that there is an arbitrary difference in view range between north/south and east/west doesn’t sit right with me. That’s not to say we shouldn’t explore new configs and resolution options, but I think we should look at different options.
► Show Spoiler
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #560274

looks bad, squished all the comms chatter on my brand new screen, makes my admin tabs go to too many rows, turned it off.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #560653

After getting actually used to this I actually think it's pretty good, please keep this on.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #560768

Don't worry, in two weeks time we will run a trial where we reverse it, and make it lower the vertical viewing field to achieve a widescreen effect, so we can see how that method does.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #560863

MrStonedOne wrote:Don't worry, in two weeks time we will run a trial where we reverse it, and make it lower the vertical viewing field to achieve a widescreen effect, so we can see how that method does.
would actually be a good april fools change
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: