my guide to fixing the population on the LRP servers without using the hub as life support

imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

my guide to fixing the population on the LRP servers without using the hub as life support

Post by imsxz » #561041

we only opened up the extra servers(other than manuel) to deal with the sseth overflow, now that the pop has died back down the population is thinly spread across them most of the time, the issue very much noticeable during dead hours like EU in this image.
Attachments
greatleapforward.png

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Re: my guide to fixing the population on the LRP servers without using the hub as life support

Post by skoglol » #561042

Hub brings fresh players to our servers, something we sorely need. There are few things quite as boring as when everyone on the server knows everything and see no reason to have job related conversations. Besides, prime time sees more than one servers worth of traffic.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: my guide to fixing the population on the LRP servers without using the hub as life support

Post by BeeSting12 » #561043

We definitely need two US servers right now, can you imagine 95 people on one server? Ideally we'd set up population caps at 70 so the other server fills up when one is full.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #561045

Today's pop is a rarity lately, maybe two but overall there should definitely be a compression of the servers.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #561046

skoglol wrote:Hub brings fresh players to our servers, something we sorely need. There are few things quite as boring as when everyone on the server knows everything and see no reason to have job related conversations. Besides, prime time sees more than one servers worth of traffic.
New players are just a temporary stopgate for new content
► Show Spoiler
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #561048

Shadowflame909 wrote:
skoglol wrote:Hub brings fresh players to our servers, something we sorely need. There are few things quite as boring as when everyone on the server knows everything and see no reason to have job related conversations. Besides, prime time sees more than one servers worth of traffic.
Uh, no, new players are the life essence of the game - not that we shouldn't have new content but all games have a mill rate and if we cut off our new player inlet the servers would actually die as players got bored and drifted away.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #561050

Arianya wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
Uh, no, new players are the life essence of the game - not that we shouldn't have new content but all games have a mill rate and if we cut off our new player inlet the servers would actually die as players got bored and drifted away.
You are an experienced player who joined in 2016, are you not?

This proves that SS13 as a concept is immersive and engaging enough to have players from more than half a decade of starting said game, continue to play.

I feel like the constant influx of new-players without a cultivated understanding of this game shall only regress its finer points, rather than improve upon them.

I would like content to start catering to the older demographic of players, and not having to rely on new eyes to see the same old things.

Edit: Made it a bit more mature and professional for a board such as this.
Last edited by Shadowflame909 on Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #561051

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Arianya wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
Okay joined in 2016 player.

SS13 Is addicting enough to have a decade long fanbase.

Fug new players open to new ideas like 30 minute medbay.

I want content that caters to me unironically
Is this post ironic? You joined in 2016 too... Sure some people will stay around for 10+ years assuming ss13 has that much time left but new players are vital to keep the servers alive/fresh otherwise you're just doing the same stuff with the same people every round.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #561052

I admit it was a bit. But I've since rapidly retouched on my views.

New players are cool. But they should not be the main focus.

Retainment, not the submerging of a new crowd to overtake the old.
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #561054

Shadowflame909 wrote:New players are just a temporary stopgate for new content
Even after all the things you've said, I still fail to see how this is relevant to the conversation. This discussion is about managing server population, not whether new content will be added or not.
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #561055

Holy fucking shit shadowflame how do you always make everything about fucking content
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #561058

It's an argument against a pro for new players. Scroll up.
► Show Spoiler
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #561059

That makes argument "lol just serverhop" sometimes seen in deadchat salt invalid. Maybe shut down those extra servers during lowpop hours? But again, where do you go should you get killed?..
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #561061

losing the east coast servers makes other servers a bit more enticing to play

the fact that i have better ping on fulpstation makes me cry
retired ss13 coderman
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #561063

bring back east coast omni nation servers
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #561077

what if we compromise and put the servers in the midwest
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #561078

The Midwest is still biased towards the west coast as it's midwest by definition, as in middle of the west part of the US, not central. Mideast would be biased towards the east coast.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #561108

BeeSting12 wrote:what if we compromise and put the servers in the midwest
yes please

mod edit to remove derailing semantics
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #561125

greenland server pros:
eu and usa have same ping
cold enviroment = cheap servers
no usa/eu copyright laws
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #561126

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:greenland server pros:
eu and usa have same ping
cold enviroment = cheap servers
no usa/eu copyright laws
superb protection against pandemics, on par with madagascar
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #561144

New hub players are getting shittier by the year, just take a peak at your average highpop server
Last edited by Timonk on Sun May 10, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #561244

OKAY lets not talk about the semantics of what is the midwest anymore, please. i have so little faith that this thread will go anywhere but fine it's not dead just please keep on topic.

arguing that the servers should be in the middle of america: fine
arguing that the servers should be in this grey area defined as the mideast of US vs midwest of US: derailing
arguing that we should have a 500 pop server in the middle of the ocean: derailing AND an ungodly shitpost
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #561246

and now some thoughts on this thread in general:

you posted this at 4:47 pm pacific time for me which is 11:47 pm at +0, aka near the west side of europe. after that it goes into 12 am then one am etc etc. I think it's very reasonable for euro servers to be deadpop at 12 am onwards. as for the sybil server, we could try hubbing both of them? maybe it'll split the server pop a little bit nicer. just an idea, because i think bumping bagil up to what would be 95 in that screenshot is not a good idea
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #561303

I want at least one server to be on hub, as a community without new members joining is a dying community, and the hub is free advertising.
[youtube][/youtube]
Many live in darkness that must be shown the way.
For it is the dawning of a new day.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #561307

We already got ehall for the hub stuff, so let's just open an ehall US for 'murican players
Sybil, Basil, and Terry will not be on the hub
Then we open Audrey as the MRP EU server and then we're set
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #561311

trollbreeder wrote:We already got ehall for the hub stuff, so let's just open an ehall US for 'murican players
Sybil, Basil, and Terry will not be on the hub
Then we open Audrey as the MRP EU server and then we're set
we did have event hall us
it had 0 players
adding more servers is the exact opposite of what this thread is talking about
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #561345

Not based Imsxz, you leave sybil alone its a different environment than bagil.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #561348

JusticeGoat wrote:Not based Imsxz, you leave sybil alone its a different environment than bagil.
not anymore, all the sybil people went to manuel and now sybil is just where everyone goes when it has the highest pop
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #561349

wowie bagil and sybil the servers switched pop, who could've seen this coming? hmmmm. I'd say just delete EH and lower the pop cap on bagil a bit, to 70 so around peak times atleast sybil wont be >30
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #561401

More like Terry and bagil switched pop
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #561429

delete ehall, eu players prefer playing on high pop us server than 2 low pop servers (one filled with hub aids aka ehall)
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #563563

JusticeGoat wrote:Not based Imsxz, you leave sybil alone its a different environment than bagil.
straight up it doesnt matter which one gets deleted, it's just a name.

on a different note: before the ssethtide, we had 3 servers. bagil, sybil, and terry. bagil was usually highpop, sybil had 0-50, and terry had 0-30. this was consistent enough. for a while before that, we just had bagil and sybil with similar population numbers. after the ssethtide, we had to open up several overflow servers for a few months to cope with the massive flood of new players. now, we are back to around the same level of players as we were pre-ssethtide, and the players are spread very thin among the surplus of servers.

you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #563564

imsxz wrote:now, we are back to around the same level of players as we were pre-ssethtide, and the players are spread very thin among the surplus of servers.
Where is your data
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #563566

Armhulen wrote:and now some thoughts on this thread in general:

you posted this at 4:47 pm pacific time for me which is 11:47 pm at +0, aka near the west side of europe. after that it goes into 12 am then one am etc etc. I think it's very reasonable for euro servers to be deadpop at 12 am onwards. as for the sybil server, we could try hubbing both of them? maybe it'll split the server pop a little bit nicer. just an idea, because i think bumping bagil up to what would be 95 in that screenshot is not a good idea
i wasnt trying to imply that i wanted above max pop bagil. as for terry being deadpop, yes it is reasonable, but it could have been at a very respectable 30+ players when combined with event hall, even more if the sybil players went there instead of going to bagil. Bagil just happened to be at maxpop at the time i took the screenshot. It would have been pointless for me to wait for an ideal time to take the screenshot, as my plan would hopefully benefit the servers at any given time. Also, I'm lazy.

imsxz

Post by imsxz » #563569

oranges wrote:
imsxz wrote:now, we are back to around the same level of players as we were pre-ssethtide, and the players are spread very thin among the surplus of servers.
Where is your data
https://i.imgur.com/LuPjUdj.png
source:bobbahbrown

imsxz

Post by imsxz » #563570

source: bobbahbrown

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #563571

it's literally 200 players higher and that's almost 1/3rd more than before
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #563572

just hide all the server names, only let players connect to "tg" and let the servers sort out where to put them based on pop
(:
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #563617

200+ extra players is not "back to around the same level of players as we were pre-ssethtid."
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #563620

Not everyone wants to play on a server with 70+ players all the time. It's not a bad thing to have a server with 15 players and a couple of others with 30-50.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #563630

the assumption here is that players are too dumb to go on the """correct""" server, either because of some server-loyalty or because they dont know how to use the website/server hop verb if it still works.

It could just be that people enjoy low pop and non-MRP rulelist constraints. If you think that it's incorrect, just hop in and tell them there's more pop on the other tg-hosted server.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #563683

There are definitely a lot of hubbies who ask me why tg is down when servers are not on the hub, I find it hilarious

we should promote our website more
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #563700

oranges wrote:There are definitely a lot of hubbies who ask me why tg is down when servers are not on the hub, I find it hilarious

we should promote our website more
Pretty much this. Non Event Hall servers pretty much require you to stumble across them by accident unless someone specifically tells you about them.

Back when I started, I picked the event hall server because it was one of the highest pop servers on the hub. I didn't notice there were other (less shitty) servers until I googled tgstation for... I don't actually remember why.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #566681

Auto-Hub has worked well, we don’t want to change this. Though we agree with some ideas brought up in this discussion about advertising our other servers better on events. We are planning add something to the MOTD on events along the lines of, “We have other servers too, you can find them here: tgwebsite.com ."

Headmin votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Phuzzylodgik: Yes.
TWATICUS: Yes.