Being valid for calling someone slurs?

Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Being valid for calling someone slurs?

Post by Eskjjlj » #561631

It has come to my attention a small group of admins have recently ruled that a player was valid for round removal after one instance of calling another player the n-word.
According to those admins if your character's skin color is black you are allowed to remove from the round anyone calling you the n-word : "nigger."

This ruling is surprising considering the fact gamer words are not banned from the servers. It seems like the admins in question are strongly opposed to the use of the n-word and as they are not allowed to ban players using those words they simply ignore their pleas for help as the offended party kills them. A punishment by proxy so to speak.
In that case why just enforce this policy for the use of the n-word? Countless slurs and derogatory terms exist and for fairness you should be allowed to kill people calling you a "faggot", "kike", "chink", "catfag", "furry", "ligger", and so on, if the circumstances allow it. The circumstances being : your character is chinese, a felinid, a lizard or has a jewish name....

Or maybe it should not be allowed to round remove someone for using offensive speech?
Perhaps the American servers should have relaxed language policies as free speech is protected under the 1st Amendment, unlike the European servers.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Being valid for calling someone slurs?

Post by wesoda25 » #561632

act like a retard get treated like one lol

also furry and ligger aren't slurs they're fictional words
[this space reserved]
Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #561635

wesoda25 wrote: also furry and ligger aren't slurs they're fictional words
The only thing you know about the other player is that their character's skin is black, or that they are a felinid/lizard. You can only see their virtual avatar in game so why should insulting the black character make you more valid than insulting the felinid or the lizard?

Those words do not reference the player behind the screen but the virtual avatar they are controlling. So any discriminatory language directed at the avatar should have the same weight when considering valids.
Otherwise it would not be fair that black characters can kill the offender but not lizards when the only difference is a 'l' in place of a 'n'.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #561636

Bruh calling someone a nagger just means some admins won't punish you for behaving like one and ungaing them to death under "escalation" (or them killing you because you fucked it up).

...also americans cry more than anyone else in the world if you say it don't pretend you actually have free speech that isn't found elsewhere.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #561637

im saying that anyone can kill the offender, just not for fictional words
[this space reserved]
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #561642

how dare the admins not protect me when I instigate fights by being intentionally provocative and get dunked
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #561643

what server was this on? on manuel instant deathmatch over saying the n word is absolute shit non-RP
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #561644

He got his reaction from the insult and got their shit kicked, I see no problem.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #561646

PKPenguin321 wrote:what server was this on? on manuel instant deathmatch over saying the n word is absolute shit non-RP
Americans do it all the time irl how is it bad roleplay :^)
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #561647

if its not
1.2 Spamming any channel is not allowed, this goes for radio spam, AI vox announcement spam, paper at camera spam and other forms of spam. Non-antagonists doing so may not defend themselves and may suffer from IC or OOC consequences. Antagonists can to a certain extent, moreso with reading things like WGW over the radio, but may be told by admins to stop if it becomes excessive. Spamming can result from in-game admin intervention ending in you dying, to admin warnings, to bans for excessive or repeated spamming.

or

8 Erotic/creepy stuff is not allowed.
No form of erotic roleplay is allowed on the servers, including things that could be construed as sexual by unwilling participants.

then the admin is using his own set of rules, which can be fixed with a complaint
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #561653

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:if its not
1.2 Spamming any channel is not allowed, this goes for radio spam, AI vox announcement spam, paper at camera spam and other forms of spam. Non-antagonists doing so may not defend themselves and may suffer from IC or OOC consequences. Antagonists can to a certain extent, moreso with reading things like WGW over the radio, but may be told by admins to stop if it becomes excessive. Spamming can result from in-game admin intervention ending in you dying, to admin warnings, to bans for excessive or repeated spamming.

or

8 Erotic/creepy stuff is not allowed.
No form of erotic roleplay is allowed on the servers, including things that could be construed as sexual by unwilling participants.

then the admin is using his own set of rules, which can be fixed with a complaint
1. Don't be a dick.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #561654

round removal is almost never okay what is this shit
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #561656

NoxVS wrote: 1. Don't be a dick.
good take sir, why do we even need admins when we can murder anyone for talking shit or not doing things as i like
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #561659

I put it in how I handle instigating a fight. If you fuck with someone and they beat your ass for it, don't ahelp me.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #561663

Lmao yeah can racists please be a protected class on the servers and immune from rule 1? Thank you
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #561666

In all honesty, the conversation for this tends to go in the same direction every time - it's clear a good chunk of the players either don't give a shit or would rather not have their language policed while a good few admins feel to the contrary.

Nothing's going to change because everyone's too afraid of pissing the player base off.

But no, personally, I have no problem either smiting or making valid people who use slurs.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #561669

I dislike language police because it almost always creates an unpleasant and overbearing do-gooder admin culture, I see no problem with "if he calls you a nigger just crack his dome lmao".

Although it would probably lead to autistic killbaiters spamming it until they get someone trying to unga them - it would probably get tiresome quickly.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #561671

Eskjjlj wrote:Perhaps the American servers should have relaxed language policies as free speech is protected under the 1st Amendment, unlike the European servers.
imagine being such a denthead that you think you can invoke the fucking 1st ammendment for a free 2d spessman game
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #561672

Stickymayhem wrote:
Eskjjlj wrote:Perhaps the American servers should have relaxed language policies as free speech is protected under the 1st Amendment, unlike the European servers.
imagine being such a denthead that you think you can invoke the fucking 1st ammendment for a free 2d spessman game
he took the baaaait lmaoooo
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #561673

how can you fall for the THREADLY meme about freedom of speech in n word threads
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #561674

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:I dislike language police because it almost always creates an unpleasant and overbearing do-gooder admin culture, I see no problem with "if he calls you a nigger just crack his dome lmao".

Although it would probably lead to autistic killbaiters spamming it until they get someone trying to unga them - it would probably get tiresome quickly.
people already do this, they just beat the shit out of people and wait for someone to try and smack back so they can escalate. as long as they aren't ahelping they can do this pretty much every round. and believe me, it's a lot more aggravating to get randomly shoved or punched by someone multiple times in a round until someone kills him/he kills someone only to do it next round.

i dunno bro, i just can't see myself defending killbaiters coming up with new tactics to annoy people into a fight
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #561676

It's clear the only answer is to ban the n-word
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #561677

we literally had this exact same discussion 4 months ago
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #561680

Fatal wrote:It's clear the only answer is to ban the n-word
Screw it just lock the thread now.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #561685

Don't fall for the jewish trick of Problem-Reaction-Solution (Ordo ab Chao).

Edit: Wise words from the Simp Master himself - In my humble opinion all slurs should be allowed and not be actionable neither IC nor OOC. Killing people IC or punishing people OOC for words is retarded.

Edit 2: I am retarded, because this is policy thread.
Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #561687

PKPenguin321 wrote:what server was this on? on manuel instant deathmatch over saying the n word is absolute shit non-RP
It wasn't on manuel. The player was called n-word once and went ballistic, removed the other from the round.
trollbreeder wrote:we literally had this exact same discussion 4 months ago
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Screw it just lock the thread now.
It's not about banning the nagger word but whether or not calling someone a slur over their character race or species makes you valid similarly to reciting WGW.

Just think of all the times a felinid got called a furry, catfag or a nyagger. They should be allowed to round remove whoever used racial slurs against them since most people here seems to agree a conflict was instigated by using those words against them.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #561690

It's one thing to instigate a conflict with someone because they insulted you, it's another to round remove them like they had recited WGW because they called you a nigger.

It's pretty clearly excessive.
I doubt this thread will lead to any concrete ruling because it really depends on the context. An idiot being dunked on for being an idiot is pretty different to murdering someone because you don't like something they said.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #561692

This is a sucky thread that isn't going to go anywhere productive fast. I appreciate people miss the NTR Hut but if you really want to scream at each other about free speech then I recommend posting on /pol/.
It has come to my attention a small group of admins have recently ruled
a) One admin rules on a given ticket/case, not "a small group"
b) Policy Discussion isn't for discussing specific cases - it's pretty clear from later posts that you're just trying to admin complaint a decision you dislike without being held to any kind of standard for making a complaint.
c) It's pretty shitty of you to avoid posting either logs or a RoundID so you can frame the round however you want instead of letting people judge for themselves - even if this would be the wrong place for it.

Refocusing on the actual policy instead of /pol/lite discussion - the policy question seems to be:
If I provoke someone verbally can they escalate to physical violence
The rules state:
If a player wrongs you(theft, attacks, etc), you may retaliate.
While not specifically delineated, I think we can agree by common sense that there are words you can say that can constitute a wrong - and in the instance using provocative language would seem to be a "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" variety decision. I would personally not see any issue with instigation arising from that, especially if you're trying to be confrontational.

Regarding escalating to round removal - it's a bit hard to comment on not knowing the specifics of the round in question, but in precedent it's not been seen as reasonable to escalate to round removal simply on instigation - that said, Rule 6 provides for a in-game admin to make a ruling, and in the past there have been instances where admins have refused to rule regarding otherwise "bad" escalation in cases where they feel the complainant is acting in bad faith (i.e. banbaiting). But again, this isn't the place to discuss specific cases, but overall policy - so if the secondary question is
Should using provocative language entitle the wronged party to round removal you?
then generally the answer is no, it shouldn't, based on precedent.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #561693

This ruling was dumb and you should file an admin complaint instead of a policy discussion because round removing someone for saying a word that isn't smut is shitty.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #561704

Aww shit, here we go again.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #561705

Brb gonna make my character black so im allowed to kill more people in valid escalation. Thanks based killmins
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #561710

What I don't get is that harassing someone for calling you a ligger Is allowed. There likely is a disconnect here though because the bureaucrats can never function coherently together here.

How to get ruined- Calling a lizard a ligger
-WGW
-Being a synth (because any Human crew > any borg as per Asimov)

Using the rl-associate of ligger and dying seems fine, and I'm for killing them. I'm also for the persons freedom to say it. This is no different than killing Ian if you ask me and exists like all those things above just to stir shit.

Jumping to round-removal is likely what is too far in this whole thing.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #561718

Doesn’t seem clear to me
[this space reserved]
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #561723

This isn't a policy thread, it's a thinly veiled admin complaint. Feel free to submit one if you feel up to it.

We just closed a different dumb gamer word thread, we don't need another one.

edit: removed commentary that was not relevant to the situation at hand.