Chemistry is very tedious, but it doesn't have to be

A place to record your ideas for the game.
mortimermcmire
Byond Username: Mortimermcmire

Chemistry is very tedious, but it doesn't have to be

Post by mortimermcmire » #565009

1. Let the chemistry dispenser dispense 1u, this would allow a lot more one-pot drugs without having to juggle between machines constantly
2. Let us save chemical shortcuts between rounds. I can only make oil so many times before I go insane
3. Somehow make the chemical recipes wiki hyperlinks recursively hyperlink (ie hovering over phenol shows that it requires oil, then at the same time also show the recipe for oil)

I think doing both 1 and 2 would make it way too easy, but one of the two would decrease my carpal tunnel symptoms significantly
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Re: Chemistry is very tedious, but it doesn't have to be

Post by Time-Green » #565036

mortimermcmire wrote:1. Let the chemistry dispenser dispense 1u, this would allow a lot more one-pot drugs without having to juggle between machines constantly
2. Let us save chemical shortcuts between rounds. I can only make oil so many times before I go insane
3. Somehow make the chemical recipes wiki hyperlinks recursively hyperlink (ie hovering over phenol shows that it requires oil, then at the same time also show the recipe for oil)

I think doing both 1 and 2 would make it way too easy, but one of the two would decrease my carpal tunnel symptoms significantly
We already have (3)?
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #565074

mortimermcmire wrote:1. Let the chemistry dispenser dispense 1u, this would allow a lot more one-pot drugs without having to juggle between machines constantly
I am pretty sure it can already when upgraded. Could be wrong though
mortimermcmire wrote:2. Let us save chemical shortcuts between rounds. I can only make oil so many times before I go insane
It used to be where you could paste in shortcuts but the problem is this meant no one had to do it the first time and could just find a list of all macros to copy and paste
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #565100

doing it once could reveal a button that makes the reagent for you. this type of thing shouldn't persist between rounds though and should probably be on a per person basis rather than per machine
Last edited by cacogen on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #565241

If chemistry wasnt tedious then people wouldn't bother with autism pipes
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #565329

Get science to upgrade your dispenser; one of the upgrades does indeed let you dispense reagents 1u at a time (IIRC).
mortimermcmire wrote:2. Let us save chemical shortcuts between rounds. I can only make oil so many times before I go insane
As someone else already pointed out, chem macros used to be a thing, but they were eventually removed for being harmful to the gameplay of the chemist job.

3. Somehow make the chemical recipes wiki hyperlinks recursively hyperlink (ie hovering over phenol shows that it requires oil, then at the same time also show the recipe for oil)[/quote]

They already do that, as far as I'm aware.

Tip: I'd recommend making a notepad document that you can write chem creation step by step processes down on ahead of time so that you don't have to jump around the wiki as much.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #565334

Super Aggro Crag wrote:If chemistry wasnt tedious then people wouldn't bother with autism pipes
i've always hated tedious ui as a method of balance in this game. i remember people like aranclanos were against borg door hotkeys (when the ai already had them) because they hated borgs and decided it would be OP. it's just spiteful to use balance as an excuse for bad ui
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #565338

cacogen wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:If chemistry wasnt tedious then people wouldn't bother with autism pipes
i've always hated tedious ui as a method of balance in this game. i remember people like aranclanos were against borg door hotkeys (when the ai already had them) because they hated borgs and decided it would be OP. it's just spiteful to use balance as an excuse for bad ui
but if its easier than or as easy as pipes then why ever use pipes
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #565405

1: solved by using the botany's bottles as the ability to dispense 1u is tied to the beaker not the machine
2: we had it and removed it for being gay
3: wiki is shit not news
griffithlol
Byond Username: Griffithlol

Post by griffithlol » #567294

I don't think plumbing would be useless. I think that plumbing is good to mass produce simple chems, but for one off more advanced chems it makes no sense, even now. So you have to suffer through the needless tedium. What reason is there to have pointless unfun mechanics in your game?
nullbear
Byond Username: Nullbear

Post by nullbear » #567621

Alright, what if...?

We get rid of the chemfridge instead. Or rather, merge it with the chem dispenser.
Add a button to the chem dispenser that allows you to move reagents from the beaker INTO the dispenser, creating a new button for that reagent, with a limited amount of reagent.

Depending on complexity, could have it so that you can only put isolated reagents into the dispenser. Or that you can put 'mixed' reagents into the dispenser (but that could end up resulting in having hundreds of 'buttons' with only like, 5 units of some useless chemical.)

This would change the meta a bit, causing the early part of a round to being mass producing 'intermediate' chemicals like oil and ash, so that you could more easily work with the tertiary chemicals. It would reduce the repetitive grinding while still keeping the same complexity and tier system that's intended.

This could also be a big QoL improvement compared to jugging a dozen or so beakers of random whatever or bottles in the fridge anytime you want to make something.

Finally, as an optional side-note: This could be set up so that you start with a limited quantity of certain chemicals that might need to be restocked.
It might show up something like this, where you would transfer 30u of oil back into the machine to be used later.

Yes, i am aware that this makes the other chem machine (whatever its called again) slightly redundant. If you REALLY care about that, it wouldn't be hard to impose restrictions on it, or make one of the machines more effective at one task than the other.

Lets be honest, though. The chem dispenser is primarily used for "MIXING" chemicals as well as dispensing them. The other machine is really only ever used if you fuck up, or if you're turning it into a pill/bottle and naming it, nobody actually wants to use it for mixing.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #567636

We have macros still both in the dispenser and the larger scale version which is plumbing.

I will not be giving the dispenser anymore power, it is a blight on the department.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current