[Manuel] Arrivals and beneficial items

Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

[Manuel] Arrivals and beneficial items

Post by Ivuchnu » #565659

Not sure if this is about Manuel or all servers because both "powergaming" and "arrivals neutrality" were invoked.

Is that acceptable to distribute stuff like:
  • Healing viruses
  • Genetics power injectors
  • Xenobio potions and items including stuff enhanced with those (say, speedpotioned duffelbags)
  • Tools
  • Healing chem mixes
  • Virtually anything else that might benefit spessman taking it
next to arrivals shuttle airlocks?

If not, I'd want comparison with:
  • Same things a bit deeper into station (how much?)
  • Self-spreading healing viruses
  • Bad things like N2O/plasma floods and holes in station which commonly don't respect "neutrality" of arrivals area
What did I do? I've emptied bag of virus pills on holopad next to arrival shuttle, Ice Box Station. This is part of how I usually play virologist, as described here.

For the context, following conversation happened in admin ticket during 139396:
Admin PM from-TheMidnightRose: Did you dump a couple bags worth of virus pills in arrivals?
PM to-Admins: I did, you have problem with providing healing virus to newcomers?
Admin PM from-TheMidnightRose: Please at least leave them in the chemfridge in medical.
PM to-Admins: Less visible that way. I do put them here too.
Admin PM from-TheMidnightRose: Just from now on, dont just dump virus pills in arrivals. If you want newcomers to grab a pill, get the AI to put it in the automated annoucement system or figure out how to make a big neon sign in medical for it.
PM to-Admins: May I learn why?
Admin PM from-TheMidnightRose: Its a bit powergamey to toss them in arrivals instead of keeping them in a medical fridge. Plus floorpills are floorpills.
PM to-Admins: Uhh, ok, I am dragging smart fridge there then. I... have issues with that judgement.

followed by a bit of discussion in OOC at start of 139405:
OOC: Ivuchnu: now...
OOC: Ivuchnu: do I have station sneezing and coofing or dump virus pills like before?
OOC: Ivuchnu: I have little trouble putting them on table as opposed to "floor pills", if that's convenient to do, I do exactly that.
OOC: Ivuchnu: however, I am not willing to limit myself to fridges only
OOC: Ivuchnu: and my virus has bad resistance
OOC: TheMidnightRose: Lets stick with a fridge. Otherwise, slap it into a policy discussion.
OOC: Ivuchnu: it's in my interests to eradicate miasma diseases by ~100% crew coverage

OOC: Ivuchnu: Rose, do you have issue with self-spreading healing viruses?
OOC: Ivuchnu: it's different approach to virus distribution
OOC: TheMidnightRose: I dont have an issue with it no
OOC: Ivuchnu: that one is very good to get 100% coverage but may kill slimepeople and virus might be not as versatile as what I do
OOC: Ivuchnu: but you forbid me from doing virus pills
OOC: Ivuchnu: do I create policy discussion thread for this or just make the same thing in more neat way?
OOC: TheMidnightRose: I forbid you from virus pills in Arrivals
OOC: TheMidnightRose: Thats the only hting I had problem with on that
OOC: Ivuchnu: why?..
OOC: TheMidnightRose: Arrivals itself is supposed to be completely neutral territory
OOC: Ivuchnu: someone hugging new arrival with contact virus would provide essentially the same thing, new arrival getting virus ASAP
P.S. Chewing did nothing wrong
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Re: [Manuel] Arrivals and beneficial items

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #565683

I think it's a bit more complex than just "you can't put nice things in arrivals" - because you can't kill people arriving fresh off the shuttle it would imply that if those pills in arrivals were "eat pill -> die" you'd get banned for griefing arrivals.

This would directly imply to anyone fresh into the round "oh the pills here HAVE to be positive or at worst do nothing because of the ooc rules", removing the aspect of paranoia when deciding "do I trust the pills being given out?".
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #565684

I kinda doubt pills should be equal to engiborg stunarming everyone walking off shuttle or proximity sensor grenade.
  • Pill does not force self onto you like antag beelining to kill you
  • You can collect pill but eat it later once you get to ask people about it
On a bit of unrelated note, bad viruses won't usually require you to eat something.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #565727

I think the main problem is that a naughty chemist couldn't mix in hyper death pills named the same thing in the arrivals "pile." Everywhere else, is fair game for both as I (hopefully) understand.

On the other hand, the pills are 100% optional and I don't think the floorpills argument holds any water. You're dumb enough to eat a floorpill without checking it first, you get what's coming to you.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #565746

I think naughty chemist by current rules should be allowed to do that, but it's not like this is fair.

I don't think booby traps are fun or fair thing to die to. Especially the kind that can roundremove you. I don't see where is fairness difference in being deleted by mousetrap grenade in duffelbag placed near arrivals airlocks, near cargo's lobby, kitchen, dorms or any other corner of station.
var/static/list/names = list("maintenance pill","floorpill","mystery pill","suspicious pill","strange pill")
Those explicitly declare "anything goes".
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #565776

you can put naughty pills at arrivals, that isnt camping it especially when someone has to opt in for taking them.

For manuel though this might would get you in trouble for killing people FNR so if we have to assume that all pills beside arrivals must be good or you can F1, we have to ban it outright.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Sweets
Byond Username: Reondin

Post by Sweets » #565784

I have sperged about this in deadchat and ooc before (and been made fun of by you and others specifically for it) but it's totally a combination of three things that makes me dislike it.

1. In character believability:
Many times I just walk around the station on Manuel and see multiple piles of pills labeled "Heal w/starlight,water,rads" or some other mechanics based effects. Seeing multiple giant piles of pills just sitting on the floor or even a table with no container or anything would be weird as hell to see IRL. Even ignoring that, since it is a medication or virus, you would think ot would have a medical name to it or something as opposed to just saying what it did.

2. Authority aspect:
While I understand that it is medbay's job to make people better and fix them, Viruses, Prosthetics, chems,Certain Augments and such are their "boon". Much like how Engineering gets advanced tools, Science gets mechs and xenobio stuff, Cargo gets crates, Security gets its weapon lathe and Service gets certain food/drinks/plants, Medical has access to some powerful boons like healing viruses. Imagine if an engineer just left piles of Jaws of Life around the station, a cargonian left a bunch of insuls or if a botanist left a bunch of weed everywhere. That would get them immediately yelled at by their supervisor. I understand that your virus costs much less in terms of resources/time to make/give out and only heals as opposed to giving access/lethal power, but just going out and giving away a newly developed virus that heals people to everyone without asking your bosses doesn't seem like something that would fly on a top secret research facility.

3. Cheapens the value of other jobs/items: This one applies more to Genetics for the Items and Viro for the Jobs.
Much like how public space adaptation makes Hardsuits/softsuits effectively worthless, widespread public healing viruses means we get less people coming to medbay to be fixed up by doctors. I have seen people with a virus be covered in severe wounds that put them near crit just decide to go stand under a shower or in space for a minute or two to be healed to full instead of going to seek help at medbay or calling a paramedic. This creates less work for MD's/Paramedics/Chemists which could be a good or bad thing, but in both cases, reduces player interaction and role play.

I know I sound like a HRP whiner and stuff, but rushing a healing virus and throwing it everywhere feels no different to me than someone playing as a Sec officer leaving 50+ mindshield implants at arrivals to make sure noone gets converted or something.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #565791

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:I think it's a bit more complex than just "you can't put nice things in arrivals" - because you can't kill people arriving fresh off the shuttle it would imply that if those pills in arrivals were "eat pill -> die" you'd get banned for griefing arrivals.

This would directly imply to anyone fresh into the round "oh the pills here HAVE to be positive or at worst do nothing because of the ooc rules", removing the aspect of paranoia when deciding "do I trust the pills being given out?".
I don't think it makes sense to invoke arrivals neutrality with floor pills, even dangerous ones. Getting killed by a man with a desword off the arrivals shuttle is different to being killed by a floor pill that you made the stupid decision to take in the first place.

Also it's not really fair to call people dying from floor pills "killing people fnr" because they could have not died by simply not taking the pill.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #565795

multiple giant piles of pills just sitting on the floor or even a table with no container
Before exploit man bad got papercode killed, I'd also usually place multiple copies of signed note describing what virus does in great detail. Heck, there's even book with SSBN of 9406 I or anyone else can print for even more reading. I am not fan of non-informative names. If I play chemist, you'll find "Salicylic Acid (20u), brute, 25u OD" pills in fridge as opposed to "brute ouchies fix". Also 50 tiny pills (my pills are 0.5u) IRL don't look as menacing. I'd like to see Chemmaster being able to offer more than pill bottle filling. Pill blister packs with even more text fitting on packaging?
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #565805

SkeletalElite wrote:Also it's not really fair to call people dying from floor pills "killing people fnr" because they could have not died by simply not taking the pill.
presumably these would not be named "literally kills you pill" and rather a mislabeled pill similar to the good pill being dumped out now.

if you boobytrapped a room with door charges or guardian explosive traps, you have still killed the person for no reason even though the action was opt-in on the victims side (they could have just not opened the door!).
BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #565814

Last I checked, you can't hide a bomb in a pill. Either way, outside of some of the worst death mixes, you generally have enough time to notice, call out, and/or drag your ass partway to medbay if it's a naughty pill.

In a sense, there's much more fair warning with floor pills. It's something you can check at no personal risk other than a minute or two of your time.
It's like warning coloration on poison dart frogs. It's there, it's obvious, and you're a moron for not being cautious, as opposed to a bomb in a duffel with a prox sensor.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #565818

Pills can be very, very lethal.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #565820

Ivuchnu wrote:Pills can be very, very lethal.
You can choose not to eat the red pill.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #565822

Even "Healing Virus" pill with 50u of lexorin (saw this happen, I picked up mystery pill before anyone actually ate it)? I ideaposted about improving pill packaging including option for tamper-evident container.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #565923

BrianBackslide wrote:Last I checked, you can't hide a bomb in a pill. Either way, outside of some of the worst death mixes, you generally have enough time to notice, call out, and/or drag your ass partway to medbay if it's a naughty pill.

In a sense, there's much more fair warning with floor pills. It's something you can check at no personal risk other than a minute or two of your time.
It's like warning coloration on poison dart frogs. It's there, it's obvious, and you're a moron for not being cautious, as opposed to a bomb in a duffel with a prox sensor.
if i can gun everyone down so long as they have some room to call does that make it ok? It's obvious by my sprite, sound, and firing messages.

no, so this argument is kinda silly.

you are correct, you cant hide a bomb in a pill. That doesn't mean you can't hide a deathmix with muting. syringes can do this kind of BS and they can hold 15u, imagine 3.33x that if it's even needed.

The argument has to be/ is either we let people freekill at the arrivals shuttle because otherwise people will act on metainformation (these can only be good or an admin would have deleted them!) or we ban both sides.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #565924

if someone swallows a pill in arrivals and dies that's 100% their fault. the point of the "no murdering at arrivals" rule is to at least give people a moment to get their bearings before they make decisions in the round. if they're swallowing a pill, they're actively making a completely optional decision and falling for a trap. it's different to having a disposals shoot to space in arrivals, and very very different from someone running into arrivals and capping them.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #565936

I feel like having a big ass pile of pills anywhere on the station kinda toes the MRP line a bit more than I'm comfortable with. I could see it in the event of an advanced virus but for beneficial stuff, ehhh. Maybe not.

People who care about such things should really be checking the medivend every round on arrival. Hugbox etc.

Also I'm not even going to touch the floor pill argument. Too much moving of goal posts.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Ivuchnu

Re: big ass pile of pills

Post by Ivuchnu » #565937

I actually want to see floorpills stopping being most efficient way and pill blister packs becoming new optimal thing. I'd be happy to put couple of blister packs (20 pills each or something) instead of just emptying chembag I got to move pills around.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #566027

the method, in this case floorpills, isnt really the point moreso than the idea that are people allowed to sabotage good-intent actions (in this case dumping pills in arrivals) with naughty pills and not go under crossfires for killing people for no other reason than to sabotage the good-intent actions.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #566072

Cobby wrote:the method, in this case floorpills, isnt really the point moreso than the idea that are people allowed to sabotage good-intent actions (in this case dumping pills in arrivals) with naughty pills and not go under crossfires for killing people for no other reason than to sabotage the good-intent actions.
As long as the person is doing it is an antag, I don't see why not.

I understand that it's kind of all or nothing because if you are allowed to put good pills the possibility of bad pills has to exist so you can't meta knowing the pills HAVE to be good. You can't exactly compare dumping deathpills to just going around with e sword e bow and going on a massacre because the only way you're going to die a floor pill is by taking it willingly, and that's a risk you take (and acknowledge) by choosing to take a floor pill.
BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #566089

Last I checked, floorpills don't zoom straight into your mouth.

If we're going by the meta of arrivals being the safe space, which is fair, then what's a good demarcation of "here be dragons"? To be honest I think dumping pills everywhere is a bit too silly for MRP. (And kinda pisses me off when I'm chef and part of my table gets taken up)

I'm just more concerned as to how far out something needs to be to be "fair game."
Reeeee
Byond Username: LibbySnow

Post by Reeeee » #566254

"Spawncamping is shit", has always been like rule 0 of all gaming forever and to make specific rulings about arrivals is a slippery slope for that. Even the most autistic and bloodlusty war games have spawn protection because of it. Spawn location is supposed to be the one place where nothing changes for you unless you elect to change it and nobody will come in there and change it for you.

New people to the fuck that is SS13 really don't need the distraction of "floorpills" in their life to be added to it. Anything else besides people learning to do movement and controls over there is a needless complication to a simple and effective rule that is simple to remember and there isn't a slope to something else happening down the line that messes with it.
Leave arrivals, don't come back unless you are moving past it. There doesn't need to be a complication to it for any purpose.
Do it in the rest of the station, there is a room.

That is universal gaming logic and as much of an rule 1 of gaming we are going to probably ever get. Even Dark Souls(es) ceases it's fuckery in Bonfires. You trying to shove gameplay elements that are not "existing" into there seems poor manners just for sake of YOU doing better at the game.
Kinda irrelevant what that specific case of something happening to you is, it's spawn.

Don't fuck with new spawns, you fucking dickmonglers.
signnatrire
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #566257

Chill, pill is not camper in dark corner with gun.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #566272

I'd personally be pretty upset with someone putting lethal pills in arrivals. I wouldn't care about nonlethal, beneficial pills. Fucking with new arrivals and you've mislabelled the pills or put up a misleading sign seems kinda in bad form. If you labelled the pills "This will kill you instantly", then no harm no foul.

As for obviously beneficial items and gear, I personally don't see much harm in it, since these items exist to be used. If someone set up a checkpoint for you to get suited up with station benefits, then they should probably man that checkpoint at the very least. I feel that kind of thing benefits from a person offering to do the distribution.
Reeeee
Byond Username: LibbySnow

Post by Reeeee » #566279

Ivuchnu wrote:Chill, pill is not camper in dark corner with gun.
It's fucking with concept that's older than Quake Arena for no seeable benefit other than to make it possible to grief arrivals easier.
Just to make people "win" more SS13 rounds?
Aren't you the roleplay server where that's supposed to matter even less? Next thing is that we got sponsor ads in the spawn and we start caring about K/D.

Why change policy if you can just do the same thing fifteen tiles away and not trigger rulebreaks and change something every nignog with zero minutes of playtime who hops on TG knows is supposed to be a thing that everyone everywhere respects.

Spawn Protection is a universal right of every gamer to not be bothered while they go get a cuppa coffee/tea/wine/doritos/use bathroom.
signnatrire
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566614

Lol libby sperging about arrivals pills being the win button

If you really want to kill someone you can easily do it
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Sarvak
Byond Username: Sarvak

Post by Sarvak » #566615

Reeeee wrote:
Ivuchnu wrote:Chill, pill is not camper in dark corner with gun.
It's fucking with concept that's older than Quake Arena for no seeable benefit other than to make it possible to grief arrivals easier.
Just to make people "win" more SS13 rounds?
Aren't you the roleplay server where that's supposed to matter even less? Next thing is that we got sponsor ads in the spawn and we start caring about K/D.

Why change policy if you can just do the same thing fifteen tiles away and not trigger rulebreaks and change something every nignog with zero minutes of playtime who hops on TG knows is supposed to be a thing that everyone everywhere respects.

Spawn Protection is a universal right of every gamer to not be bothered while they go get a cuppa coffee/tea/wine/doritos/use bathroom.
A pill isn't going to get off the ground and mirk your ass while you're off getting your cuppa. Learning to not blindly trust floor pills is part of the essential SS13 experience, and I really don't see how them being 15 tiles away is different in literally any way since the pills will only get eaten by conscious action in either case.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #566626

arrivals already has airlocks you can run out and die how are floorpills any different
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #566837

NecromancerAnne wrote:I'd personally be pretty upset with someone putting lethal pills in arrivals. I wouldn't care about nonlethal, beneficial pills. Fucking with new arrivals and you've mislabelled the pills or put up a misleading sign seems kinda in bad form. If you labelled the pills "This will kill you instantly", then no harm no foul.

As for obviously beneficial items and gear, I personally don't see much harm in it, since these items exist to be used. If someone set up a checkpoint for you to get suited up with station benefits, then they should probably man that checkpoint at the very least. I feel that kind of thing benefits from a person offering to do the distribution.
that's the whole problem though.

You aren't ok with bad stuff but you're ok with good stuff, which means people can (and will) metagame that fact.

You either have to ban both or allow both, otherwise you create a space where people can easily powergame such.

Why bother going to the fridge for chems when I can go to the arrivals shuttle and F1 if anyone ever wrongs me?
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566860

This is why we make fun of Manuel
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #566875

Arrivals is neutral and should remain neutral period. Letting people leave pills around that area enables players to start tiptoeing the line and leaving funny pills too, and at that point it'd be better to completely scrap the neutrality. Besides, this is MRP and you want the entrance hallways' floors to be filled with whatever the chem of that round decided to make? No thanks, against this policy.

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566876

i need that in my signature
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566877

also you got the past tense of teach wrong, IQ lord.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #570862

You should not be stockpiling large amounts of beneficial items at arrivals on Manuel. Anywhere else on the station is fine; so beneficial pills don't need to be restricted to a chemfridge for example.
It feels a bit too much for someone to arrive on station and instantly get something that greatly increases their survival chances, they should have to work a little bit more for it.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: No stockpiling of beneficial items at arrivals on MRP.
Phuzzylodgik:No stockpiling of beneficial items at arrivals on MRP.
TWATICUS:No stockpiling of beneficial items at arrivals on MRP.