Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

[skoglol] 1 month no talkies for a bad joke

Post by Timonk » #566180

BYOND account: Timonk
Character name: dosent matter
Ban type: OOC + deadchat ban
ban length: 1 month
Ban reason: Banned from Roles: Deadchat, OOC for 1 month - OOC: Timonk: yo can we kill nicki IRL This kind of shit isnt okay. Keep OOC and IC matters separate, and lay off the death threats.

Time ban was placed: 2020-06-15 23:23:39
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry
Round ID in which ban was placed: dont know
Your side of the story: terry had a terry moment, restarted, i made a poor joke then left. if you have seen me play more than once you would know that im friends with nicki and that wasnt meant to be serious. no idea why he banned me for that. also i rarely ever get mad over getting killed these days and i would never make serious death threats.

i was a heretic the round before that and nicki called me out as heretic, thats about all the conflict i had with nicki in the round prior to that
Last edited by Timonk on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Re: [skoglol] 1 month no talkies for a bad joke

Post by skoglol » #566286

I don't think anyone here actually think you intended to "kill nicki IRL", but that doesn't change the severity of saying it. People frequently post dumb shit in OOC, but there is a line and I think you crossed it. We are all here to enjoy ourselves and have fun and this kind of thing seriously detracts from that, especially to the people that get targeted.

Your entire ban appeal consists of you telling me I'm the one who made the mistake. You've clearly learned nothing from this so far, so I'll be denying this.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #566289

What the fuck? If you want him gone at least try and use some actual rules instead of making up whatever the fuck this is. I see people make these jokes all the time, ingame or discord, with no repercussions because everyone knows it’s a joke. Did the nicki person even ahelp?
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566290

Nicki as in Nicki Shazam aka LEDDriver
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566292

i also believe that skog genuinely believed that and i hold no grudge against him
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566293

wesoda25 wrote:What the fuck? If you want him gone at least try and use some actual rules instead of making up whatever the fuck this is.
i edited it just now and it isnt a server ban, its a OOC + Deadchat ban
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #566301

Yes, this is just an OOC and deadchat ban.

For the record, Timonk and Nicki aren't friends. Or if they are, Timonk may want to inform Nicki of this.
Past that, it doesn't really matter if this kind of thing is a joke or not. If the recipient is made uncomfortable by it, it may as well not be.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566307

friends as in we dont hate each other
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #566508

There is no precedent for issuing month-long OOC bans for 'making someone uncomfortable' with an off-color joke.
Historically, the only time someone was banned for making someone uncomfortable is when it was persistent sexual harassment.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #566514

Nervere wrote:There is no precedent for issuing month-long OOC bans for 'making someone uncomfortable' with an off-color joke.
Historically, the only time someone was banned for making someone uncomfortable is when it was persistent sexual harassment.
Well, there is this: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 54&t=18740

Wubli makes a specific reference to “death threats” (not their words) in the final post of that complaint. Whether or not that actually establishes precedent is up to headmins I guess, but I think it was mainly focusing on the rape part (yikes)?

also yes i am aware its just an ooc ban, but it seems overkill to me
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #566530

Frebbie's case was different. Basically he said everyone of a certain race deserved to be raped, after going on some racist rant about South Africa.
That's a hell of a lot different than saying, "can we kill X" in OOC, especially given Frebbie's, uh, "colorful" past and note history regarding disgusting OOC comments/actions towards people.

(edited to fix inaccuracy)
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #568704

hi
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #569697

Having reviewed the logs of the round in question and the one proceeding it, we feel that Skoglol's actions in regard to this ban were entirely appropriate.

We take incidents in which a player goes out of their way to make another uncomfortable very seriously, particularly when the terms "kill" and "irl" are involved.

You are an exceptionally experienced player who is intimately familiar with our rules and culture. Please exercise better judgment in the future.

This appeal is denied.