Thoughts on surgery & anaesthesia

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Thoughts on surgery & anaesthesia

Post by WineAllWine » #566537

There's a PR up at the moment which buffs speed by 20% on unconscious patients. This is a good start but I don't think many patients would be happy to take a morphine patch or anaesthetic tank for such a minor benefit. And I think the aim of this is for all but life-saving surgeries people would want to be unconscious.

So I'd propose:
- On conscious patients each surgery step has a risk of failure (maybe 30%, idk). Failure causes a cut wound or upgrades existing cut wounds.

and that's it!
I think we probably want a few chemical changes to accompany this:
- morphine: Works perfectly for this purpose (as well as traitoring) but I think we're moving away from real-world chems so give it a new name.
- Add myostasin: A muscle relaxant, which would be added to borg hyposprays. Removes the risk from operating on conscious patients without putting them to sleep (I don't feel like giving borgs morphine is a good idea, and without this the risk of HUMAN HARM would be too high). Humans can make this too but it should be annoying to make and with a high metabolism rate. This moves the annoyance from the patient to the doctor, so hopefully we'll still be seeing more morphine and n2o use.
- Add A morphine purging chem. No-one wants to be waiting around for morphine to metabolise away so this chem should purge both morphine and itself very quickly (we don't want people using this as morphine immunity)

I'm happy to code this but wanted feedback before I go through the effort
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: Thoughts on surgery & anaesthesia

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #566548

surgeries on not dead people are usually just 1 organ swap like appendix, dead liver or limb and these surgeries are so quick that it takes more time to get anaesthetics set and then wake him up after, than the actual surgery,
only thing that could be considered a long surgery is someone getting the full surgery augments but those probably happen once a month and the dude is gonna alt tab anyway
this thing should probably require better mechanics than current n2o mask/ morphine to be worth, like first of all an n2o mobile canister with iv drop like attachment to people, which injects n2o when a surgery is started and stops once it ends.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #566553

> only thing that could be considered a long surgery is someone getting the full surgery augments but those probably happen once a month and the dude is gonna alt tab anyway

It's not uncommon for people to come in with no working organs at all, it's nice as something to pull out in edge cases but probably not intended to be used often.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #566562

>it's not uncommon for people to come in with no working organs at all, it's nice as something to pull out in edge cases but probably not intended to be used often.

they also come dead which means no anaesthesia
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #566579

to reiterate what everybody else is saying above, most surgeries are already fast and the longer ones are few and far between

i feel like this would slow down surgery maybe just adding to the clunckyness of the game but im not much of a medbay player
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #566583

Everyone keeps wanting to add anesthesia, but how does it improve the game? Already you have people in surgery just alt tab to do something else while they wait, this will make the issue even worse. Right now if you are having surgery done you can still talk to people, the doctor can talk with you, sometimes you get a new player doing surgery that has to be given a little guidance through the process. There is no benefit in forcing one person to just not play the game whenever they want surgery done
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #566590

It solves the "Oh they're getting the anesthetic! They're definitely a tot!" mentality problem, at the very least. I think having some way for the doctor to put the patient under and a REASONABLE reason as to why a non-antag doctor would want to do so is something that medbay sorely needs.

Also organ reconstruction surgeries should have a one-stop-shop option. Call it "Reconstructive Surgery."

As for tatoring, why even have anesthesia if I'm gonna have to chloral dartgun you anyway to get the brainwashing funsies? Or a bomb in the chest? Or any of the other fun things that a doctor can do. (They stole my liver and sold it to cargo!)
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #566622

Please do not make surgery both more complicated, take longer, and ba far more inconvenient for no reason. If you want people to do anaesthesia, make it convienient for people to do so: Put anesthesia tanks INSIDE the surgery tables so that it acts automatically when a person is put in the table, and you only have to worry about refilling the tank every once in a while. Altenratively, make it so Alt-clicking a surg.table puts anesthesia on the person. To change the tank you'd need a wrench, and if you are an antag you may emag it to dispense deadly concentrations of the gas instead (At least this way there's an oportunity for chaos, and a route for med-antags to elimiante a target)
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #567067

NoxVS wrote:Everyone keeps wanting to add anesthesia, but how does it improve the game? Already you have people in surgery just alt tab to do something else while they wait, this will make the issue even worse. Right now if you are having surgery done you can still talk to people, the doctor can talk with you, sometimes you get a new player doing surgery that has to be given a little guidance through the process. There is no benefit in forcing one person to just not play the game whenever they want surgery done
this

if you wanna knock people out for ages as an antag, jab 'em with a sleepypen that's been loaded with some knockout chems/mute toxin/pax/lenturi, THEN set their internals to an anaesthetic tank. don't dick over the gameplay experiences of normal surgery patients just to enable your one antag gimmick.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #567080

Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current