knewtoomuch
Byond Username: Virome1488

[Arianya] Virome1488 - "ban evasion" last year

Post by knewtoomuch » #567023

BYOND account: Virome1488
Character name: I don't remember.
Ban type: Global
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: I was banned for ban evasion by Nervere but I have no idea what the exact message was. I know for a fact I am meant to be banned but, at the moment, I'm still able to play for some reason and thus cannot provide all of the details about my ban. Image
Time ban was placed: I don't know yet.
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry
Round ID in which ban was placed: I don't know yet.
Your side of the story: About May/Junish 2019 I was just getting into Space Station 13 (although I think a played a little late 2018, too) and I played mainly on Terry. I was a complete shitter to begin with and at one point I got permanently job banned from Chemist for injecting random people with Krokodil. A few weeks, I was so ashamed of how I acted on that account that I made a new one. I did nothing to actively hide my identity from staff and I just presumed the note/job ban would naturally carry over to the other account. It didn't and I was banned for "ban evasion" - which I think was misleading, as the only thing I was actively banned from was the Chemist job, and I didn't touch that job anyway. In hindsight I think I could have appealed this ban quite easily, as it was totally needless and I really didn't violate any rules; I could have just spoke to a staff member about getting my stuff transferred from one account to the other and that would have been it.

Regardless, I found all of this extremely embarrassing and I've been under the impression that evasion bans pretty much amount to getting totally blackballed from the community. So I figured there was no chance of me getting legitimately unbanned, and I quit SS13 altogether (TG was really the only codebase/community I cared about). This was until like a month ago when I developed an interest in Byond again and, figuring I could just make myself a fresh start on TG, I started ban evading just to play. The two weeks I got on the server were pretty much without incident as all I did was observe better players and occasionally play miner, but I understandably got banned as soon as it was worked out who I am.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I understand that I've made my situation infinitely worse by ACTUALLY evading a ban which, ironically, was for an instance of ban evasion which I didn't actually do. On one hand, my intent was never ill; I originally just wanted to get away from an account which I felt was tainted by a bad reputation, and since then I just took what I thought was the only option to play here after being (putatively) blacklisted from the community. I was never a malicious person. I've never griefed, and the two or so weeks I played here recently were without incident.
knewtoomuch

Re: [Nervere] Virome1488 - "ban evasion" last year

Post by knewtoomuch » #567025

Explanation for the ban a week ago.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #567146

the "i cant join the server so I have to use an alt" ban is from ari on your ricardomilos account.

I cant find where doctor brutality banned you from anything...
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
knewtoomuch

Post by knewtoomuch » #567164

Ok but just to be clear, what I'm appealing is the ban I'm (presumably) supposed to have on my main. I'm not sure why I can even connect, to be perfectly honest.

I would also like to extend this to my job-ban on chemist, if that's okay? I have way more hours on jobs that are just as griefable if not more, so I don't think the reasoning for that ban applies anymore.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #567451

Hiya - sorry for the delay, this one slipped my attention because of the name on the appeal.

The ban in question was applied to "ricardomilos" - an account linked to yours that was caught connecting to our servers while you had (and have) an ongoing Chemist perma jobban.

Why I forgot to ban "virome1488" despite noting that you were banevading is beyond me, presumably an oversight. Apologies if that was confusing (and thanks to Brutality for correcting that).

I'm not particularly interested in litigating a ban based on the more "recent" ban evasion since it was based on a mistake by me (not banning your main account) so consider that water under the bridge.

That said, the original ban evasion:
I did nothing to actively hide my identity from staff and I just presumed the note/job ban would naturally carry over to the other account
Your account names, "virome1488" vs "ricardomilos" seem to suggest otherwise. Could you explain what way you didn't hide your identity? Did you flag to an administrator that you were swapping accounts? We can accomodate swapping accounts, carrying over notes and any active bans, but as a general rule we ask people to flag this to us ASAP, not play it by ear till they get caught.
I was banned for "ban evasion" - which I think was misleading, as the only thing I was actively banned from was the Chemist job,
To be clear, by playing on "ricardomilos" you were able to play on Chemist again - effectively evading your ban - I can't recall at the moment whether you were playing as Chemist on the new account, but regardless we have 0 tolerance on swapping accounts in the way you did. While it's not a "blackball" in the way you describe, it does result in a permanent ban subject to appeal.
I was never a malicious person.
To sympathise for a moment, I do get where you're coming from, but intent largely does not matter for this - ban evasion is something we can't have any tolerance for because if you can evade bans then there's no point appealing.

The above said, I'm not going to approve or deny this appeal yet, as I'm curious to hear your responses to the above points.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
knewtoomuch

Post by knewtoomuch » #567465

Arianya wrote:Could you explain what way you didn't hide your identity?
I wanted to have it both ways. I didn't speak to staff about transferring accounts because it seemed at the time like a really weird thing to go out of your way to ask for - I didn't think there was a precedent for it until you told me shortly after my ban. What I hoped was that, by playing on a different account but not changing my device or IP or anything else, everything would either transfer automatically or what I was doing would be super super obvious and get flagged up immediately. It's extremely dumb, but like I said, I wanted it both ways and didn't realize how suspicious I looked until after I was banned.
knewtoomuch

Re: [Arianya] Virome1488 - "ban evasion" last year

Post by knewtoomuch » #567564

Vekter wrote:I feel that it's worth noting that this player's ckey includes a Nazi dogwhistle in the form of 1488. Google it if you're not familiar, I'm not going to bother explaining it here.

I think this is relevant because it shows the kind of person Virome is and acts as character evidence.
it's ironic and when i made the account in like 2016 i was 14 years old and edgy equalled funny

but it was also part the reason i wanted to change ckeys in the first place
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: [Arianya] Virome1488 - "ban evasion" last year

Post by Arianya » #568267

Sorry for the delay, hectic RL week.

Given that its been 6 months and the relative innocuousness of your original (non-evasion) ban I'll go ahead and repeal this ban on ricardomilos (I presume that's your preferred account now, please advise if not.)

In future if you feel the need to swap BYOND accounts for whatever reason, please contact an administrator on the servers ASAP to get your notes transferred over, otherwise you're likely to end up in this situation again.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg