racist mechanics

Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

racist mechanics

Post by Space Panda » #568694

about 99% of the rounds in which the antagonists have won had human characters as heads of staff

i think moths and lizards and other races should be allowed to play head roles too, specially moths since they are the smartest playable race

thanks
Space Panda

Re: racist mechanics

Post by Space Panda » #568695

i thought i was in the ideas board i am so sorry

i accept my ban
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #568697

Restrict lizards to jannie again
[this space reserved]
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #568711

Pretty sure this is a config option so this board is appropriate actually
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #568931

Personally, I don't see the reason for disallowing non-humans from being command roles.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #568932

I was told in the discord the reasoning is purely IC. NT are racist fucks and would never allow non-humans in command roles at a shift start.

Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #568933

Too bad the AI always starts as asimov therefore allowing a hypothetical situation where the heads of staff are all quickly slaughtered.
"nope, jerry, will never happen. not even once."
You're way too optimistic then.

Besides, NT is a company. They'd most likely do it as a public PR move before quickly disbanding it once the public stops giving a shit because they don't ask questions when they consume products.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #568945

centcom is the type of company to change their profile pics to rainbow or scaled square without actually doing anything for either group
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569038

Racism baked into mechanics adds flavor to the setting and interesting roleplay opportunities. Stage a revolution, sue for equity, gouge your eyes out with a spoon.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #569042

So why are the roles restricted again? The gameplay reason. Something to do with Asimov? I don't think NT really cares about public perception by the way
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569044

cacogen wrote:So why are the roles restricted again? The gameplay reason. Something to do with Asimov? I don't think NT really cares about public perception by the way
roleplay is gameplay
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #569045

I like the conflict it makes but if there's a vote and most players want non human heads of staff that's just fine too.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #569047

what I dont get is why command cant be nonhuman and then you see some admins catgirl/lizard OC centcom commander running around
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569048

NoxVS wrote:what I dont get is why command cant be nonhuman and then you see some admins catgirl/lizard OC centcom commander running around
Yeah this shit ain't kosher
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #569055

NoxVS wrote:what I dont get is why command cant be nonhuman and then you see some admins catgirl/lizard OC centcom commander running around
one is controlled the by the game and the other is controlled by a group that is largely weaboos
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569084

It's because the equipment spawn admin button doesn't work like the ert spawn, and admins are lazy. I know I definitely couldn't be arsed to set myself to human when I spawn myself in every goddamn time.

Definitely made it funnier when, during an event where I hide with chameleon and watchef centcomm shenanigans, all of the Centcomm commanders were lizards.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #569094

NecromancerAnne wrote:It's because the equipment spawn admin button doesn't work like the ert spawn, and admins are lazy. I know I definitely couldn't be arsed to set myself to human when I spawn myself in every goddamn time.

Definitely made it funnier when, during an event where I hide with chameleon and watchef centcomm shenanigans, all of the Centcomm commanders were lizards.
Yeah what the fuck is up with all the lizards

and why are they all grey
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #569103

Sheodir wrote:
cacogen wrote:So why are the roles restricted again? The gameplay reason. Something to do with Asimov? I don't think NT really cares about public perception by the way
roleplay is gameplay
Cobby's personal retroactive headcanon justification isn't the original gameplay reason for restricting head of staff roles to humans. I'm beginning to suspect no one here actually remembers why it was done.
NecromancerAnne wrote:Definitely made it funnier when, during an event where I hide with chameleon and watchef centcomm shenanigans, all of the Centcomm commanders were lizards.
There is something sickening about this and it has nothing to do with lizard players
NSFW:

Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #569113

It can be interpreted in three ways:
- centcom hired them for diversity
- centcom is so incompetent they forgot to fire them during PR stunts
- not canon

I imagine the real reason behind this all was so that lizards/catgirls didn't become heads of staff as they probably were all seen as "donut steel OC" characters. It's either that or asimov.

Seriously, you're going to have to make a silicon policy discussion if you want lizards to be the head of security.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #569124

@Carc ofc my rationale isn’t the gameplay reason, I never mentioned gameplay mechanics???

The gameplay reason was so players wouldn’t get cucked through Asimov.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #569137

It has to do with human hegemony and incentivizing players to play humans. If we had other species balanced to be as good or better than humans, with the ability to roundstart as heads, it would start to get distorted and lose a lot of the feel.

If you'd like to experience this kind of thing in action, you should play a few rounds on Paradise. Not only do they have balanced species but anyone can hold a head role. It definitely hits different to see how their crew manifest is populated.
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #569139

RaveRadbury wrote:It has to do with human hegemony and incentivizing players to play humans. If we had other species balanced to be as good or better than humans, with the ability to roundstart as heads, it would start to get distorted and lose a lot of the feel.

If you'd like to experience this kind of thing in action, you should play a few rounds on Paradise. Not only do they have balanced species but anyone can hold a head role. It definitely hits different to see how their crew manifest is populated.
girl, you shouldn't be supportive of this systemic racism against your own kind. anthros do not deserve to be oppressed!
Countrygal68
Byond Username: Countrygal68

Post by Countrygal68 » #569150

Racist mechanics (to an extent) are world-building. Canon is good. It provides a shared reality upon which to base roleplay.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #569152

Space Panda wrote:
girl, you shouldn't be supportive of this systemic racism against your own kind. anthros do not deserve to be oppressed!
yes they do
[this space reserved]
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569155

think of it this way:
if nonhumans are able to be heads, the amount of easily killable and extremely unrobust heads increase, making murderboning, nuke ops, cult, easier to do
eat my shorts
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569172

The fuck are you on about. Most of the oldest players in the game are cats and lizards, some of who are probably going to obliterate anyone stupid enough to step up on them because they've been there and done that. Most heads are literally almost always idiots with microscopic hours who didn't realize yet that headroles are a trap, and lose to a dude with a fucking fountain pen.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569181

NecromancerAnne wrote:The fuck are you on about. Most of the oldest players in the game are cats and lizards, some of who are probably going to obliterate anyone stupid enough to step up on them because they've been there and done that. Most heads are literally almost always idiots with microscopic hours who didn't realize yet that headroles are a trap, and lose to a dude with a fucking fountain pen.
this is true but it's our way of portraying racism as innacurate and unfair

big brain

racism is inherent to the roleplay experience of playing those subhumans
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569182

NecromancerAnne wrote:The fuck are you on about. Most of the oldest players in the game are cats and lizards, some of who are probably going to obliterate anyone stupid enough to step up on them because they've been there and done that. Most heads are literally almost always idiots with microscopic hours who didn't realize yet that headroles are a trap, and lose to a dude with a fucking fountain pen.
moths
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #569235

Cobby wrote:@Carc ofc my rationale isn’t the gameplay reason, I never mentioned gameplay mechanics???
I know, you said that and it became the reason stupes were using to shoot op down. Snowflake roles are not good but I want a proper reason
NecromancerAnne wrote:Most heads are literally almost always idiots with microscopic hours who didn't realize yet that headroles are a trap, and lose to a dude with a fucking fountain pen.
what if they're idiots with macroscopic hours
NSFW:

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569271

We can't all be perfect.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #569801

What if nonhumans could be heads of staff, but not the captain? Still keeps the atmosphere largely similar since there were already some positions (quartermaster) where a nonhuman was higher ranking and it also means you won't have the captain dying to a single shot from a tempgun or having some other weakness.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #569803

Sorry if the world building through gameplay is getting in the way of your OC's sitcom romance/godhood on manuel

https://www.paradisestation.org/play.php << Paradise link is there if you need it, which you do
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #569806

Capsandi wrote:Sorry if the world building through gameplay is getting in the way of your OC's sitcom romance/godhood on manuel

https://www.paradisestation.org/play.php << Paradise link is there if you need it, which you do
Paradise is genuinely the worst server there is right now, has been for a pretty long time. Because of such i always feel seriously bad for the people who are tricked into thinking it's an okay server when in reality it's completely garbage. The only ss13 experience right now where every single staff member is in denial pretending like it isn't just fetish fuck city

Unless i'm thinking of a different one :)
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569811

I believe dog(girls) should vote.
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #569812

yes, I also believe we should increase the number of playable anthro species

we should have dogbois and pandagirls
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #569814

Capsandi wrote:Sorry if the world building through gameplay is getting in the way of your OC's sitcom romance/godhood on manuel

based
[this space reserved]
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #569817

less aliens that are just "an animal, but humanoid" and more aliens that are shit like ammonia-based chitinids that breathe freon
Jin
Byond Username: MonkyCocc

Post by Jin » #569842

Grr we are adding necrons
Sarvak
Byond Username: Sarvak

Post by Sarvak » #569988

Synth species re-added when?
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #569997

add white humanoids with red antenna
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #570866

We have no interest in allowing non-humans to take head of staff roles like this.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: No.
Phuzzylodgik: No.
TWATICUS: No.