SUPER DUPER UBER HOT TAKE ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF THE GAME: BURNOUT EDITION

General SS13 Chat
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

SUPER DUPER UBER HOT TAKE ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF THE GAME: BURNOUT EDITION

Post by saprasam » #569256

coders are "balancing" everything in the game that makes it fun, turning everything mindless and nothing is fun anymore to me outside of the few times i get antag
there's no more unique ways to murderbone without tc trades because the coders nerf everything and god forbid idedprs
all the fun traitor items are nerfed to dogshit
there's nothing fun for me outside of player vs player combat and everything else is very similar to just pressing buttons until the round's over
tgstation is fun because of how unbalanced everything was to me and now that everything that isnt the stunmeta is just nerfed to the ground
did i mention the stunmeta still exists?
multiple antags still have hardstuns, paralyzers, shoves and knockbacks
the stunmeta wasn't removed entirely as stunbatons are still a 2 tap gauranteed win, except this time you're given false hope because you dont get stunned instantly but unless you have krav maga or telescopic batons, you cant do anything to combat somebody who just stunned you, so there's no reason to get anything other then stunbatons unless you want to kill somebody quicker
tldr i wanna have fun again
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Re: SUPER DUPER UBER HOT TAKE ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF THE GAME: BURNOUT EDITION

Post by Sheodir » #569257

Can you give examples of fun gimmicky antag items that have been nerfed?
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
saprasam

Re: SUPER DUPER UBER HOT TAKE ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF THE GAME: BURNOUT EDITION

Post by saprasam » #569258

Sheodir wrote:Can you give examples of fun gimmicky antag items that have been nerfed?
carp, was made complete dogshit
ebow but i kinda like the new one
everything else that i have on my mind is mostly just unusable or bad due to the current state of the game, what purpose does a desword have if you have bad luck? what point is there in getting a contractor kit if you can just buy desword noslips or take a stunbaton? why would you ever buy a syndi minibomb, knowing that you can easily make a stronger one with little effort and lots of autism?
the syndi-kits and syndi-specials are fun but they're unusable because most of the stuff in them is outdated but can still be used if you're skilled enough
i dont remember much but i have a faint suspicion that there's just not very much enjoyable left in pvp combat aside from just "swing stunbaton and profit"
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #569259

#lethalsecuritywhen
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569261

Armhulen wrote:#lethalsecuritywhen
i greatly prefer lethal sec over disabler sec as one of them i can steal all their loot from and the other i cant
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #569262

rip null crates
retired ss13 coderman
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569263

Whoneedspacee wrote:rip null crates
I MISS NULLCRATES SO MUCH
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #569264

People should've seen this coming when movespeed was decreased "to improve RP".
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #569267

wasn't that like five years ago, we're in a whole different league of radical stupidity nowadays
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569269

You all had your chance with security katanas. You fools, you absolute imbeciles, you cretins. The way of the sword was always the answer.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #569272

In other words, you only play the game for combat tiding and memes (often all three rolled together) and now that coders are making these things undesirable you find the game emptier than it used to be. You’re unsatisfied because you do the same shit over in the same style. It’s almost as if that playstyle just isn’t rewarding in the long run.
[this space reserved]
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569275

It really isn't. Once you've learned the methods to killing everyone with impunity and refined your technique, you will run out of things to do and learn. There isn't much too it. Generally speaking, if you play only to make spacemen horizontal you are going yo burn out at one point or another. Even imsex tried pretty hard not to boil down their gameplay to JUST murderburger.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #569277

yeah i dunno after 2 years most jobs won't do it for you since they're very simple. the best kind of jobs are like janitor because of how organic and interesting their job is, every round is a new challenge to clean :)
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569278

wesoda25 wrote:In other words, you only play the game for combat tiding and memes (often all three rolled together) and now that coders are making these things undesirable you find the game emptier than it used to be. You’re unsatisfied because you do the same shit over in the same style. It’s almost as if that playstyle just isn’t rewarding in the long run.
ok then what's fun and easily doable without somebody calling within the first 40 minutes
science is just pressing buttons
xenobio is waiting
medbay is just clicking horizontal man until vertical
engineering is autism
security is for shitter faggots
what fun himmicks do you suggest to me then o' wise wesoda25, i require your large wealth of knowledge
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #569281

Most of the jobs are just the current meta as fast as possible before the round ends or you die (which is rare nowadays). Only the jobs that rely on player interaction (e.g. security, medical doctor) have meaningful variability. Interdepartmental cooperation however is a forced meme and has never been enjoyable.
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #569283

at some point you have to realize that unless you yourself are actively adding new content then you are going to exhaust every gimmick you want to do. Id argue if you were basically only having fun denying other people the ability to play the game you were probably burnt out for longer than you realize.

I wonder if anyone has suggested the theory that some people who are otherwise good people career murderbone because subconsciously they know that if they let people play the content unfettered they'd get tired of the game extremely quickly, so not allowing you to play the game encourages you to play the game more by going "if only I had more time to do X" before you realize X wasnt that fun and you move onto Y to do the same thing. Maybe i should start being a murderbone apologist 8-)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #569287

Murderboning is only a problem because the game leaves everyone to sit out for 40 minutes while three people pick off new arrivals and stragglers and jerk each other off instead of ramping up the difficulty curve by spawning the people sitting out as say some kind of emergency response team or other external threat. And then if those threats prevail spawning more dead players as some kind of threat to them. It's just years of stagnant design and refusal to adapt the game to how it's played. 'Players like PvP and they are bad and evil for it and should be punished.'
NSFW:

RiskySikh
Byond Username: RiskySikh

Post by RiskySikh » #569291

I miss sec's old tasers they were so cool
RiskySikh
Byond Username: RiskySikh

Post by RiskySikh » #569292

They also got a point with greytiding, I mean its the same shit over. Raiding the captains office for his shit, breaking into the armory on mass for their gear, fighting each other for petty squabbles. Its a rinse and repeat cycle, and pretty much its boring. Eventually it gets to a point in which roleplay is fun, since you can do unique situations or scenarios, with your imagination rather than going around killing people.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569294

cacogen wrote:Murderboning is only a problem because the game leaves everyone to sit out for 40 minutes while three people pick off new arrivals and stragglers and jerk each other off instead of ramping up the difficulty curve by spawning the people sitting out as say some kind of emergency response team or other external threat. And then if those threats prevail spawning more dead players as some kind of threat to them. It's just years of stagnant design and refusal to adapt the game to how it's played. 'Players like PvP and they are bad and evil for it and should be punished.'
Rewarding people for murderboning will result in a recursive cycle. Quite literally this is the actual design of Families and I have to wonder if the Cops are even necessary over a gang vs. gang turf war just because it rewards the gangs with an ever increasing threat.

More accurately, what does this proposal do if not set a time limit onto every round to see who can kill the most the fastest, given the griff role? An actual deliberate minority of the playerbase will ever play the game as developed if we focused only on those who fight shit. That isn't just insane, it's a complete waste of time and basically telling anyone who isn't that role they aren't even playing the game this round.

Leaning harder into the problem is not the solution. Working on anything but rewarding the murdermens for depopulating the station is the better option. If you feel hard done by as a result of that, that's unfortunate, but you already have the biggest allowance possible in the form of absolute freedom by the rules to do whatever.
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569296

RiskySikh wrote:They also got a point with greytiding, I mean its the same shit over. Raiding the captains office for his shit, breaking into the armory on mass for their gear, fighting each other for petty squabbles. Its a rinse and repeat cycle, and pretty much its boring. Eventually it gets to a point in which roleplay is fun, since you can do unique situations or scenarios, with your imagination rather than going around killing people.
if only there was fun stuff i could do but theres no time to do any of it, no resourcess, main jobs are just metarushing, repeat
that and my brain's also not very good at making new things
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Post by The Respected Man » #569297

NecromancerAnne wrote:You all had your chance with security katanas. You fools, you absolute imbeciles, you cretins. The way of the sword was always the answer.
trust the "neko" to want more weeb shit on this server, begone foul creature
Whoneedspacee wrote:rip null crates
rest in piss.
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #569306

wesoda25 wrote:In other words, you only play the game for combat tiding and memes (often all three rolled together) and now that coders are making these things undesirable you find the game emptier than it used to be. You’re unsatisfied because you do the same shit over in the same style. It’s almost as if that playstyle just isn’t rewarding in the long run.
trash take, having more things to do is always going to be more fun, when you remove more things than you add it will always make the game feel more empty.

i mostly miss move speed because i thought it enhanced the chaotic nature of the game (it also made megafauna fights way more fun but thats more of a side thing than anything)

to add onto this, i feel like you are implying that combat tiding and memes have no longevity which is pretty much untrue, both of those are elements of roleplay which as much as everything can be enhanced by admin events or other new additions.

you don't have to be sitting in a bar sipping a beer talking to folks to roleplay a character.
retired ss13 coderman
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #569307

people dont rp in bar then they DARE complain that they are getting burnt out because of CODERS nerfing their shit gimmick that isnt GLORIOUS bar rp
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #569309

people are allowed to miss mechanics, and a mechanic being strong doesn't always justify a removal or nerf.

change of the status quo is good but removing something and leaving a hole will always make people feel sad, seeing less variation makes a game feel empty.

ss13 is truly like a AAA rpg at this point with the amount of shit in it, most of the fun of it from my experience, even if this doesn't apply to you i feel it is relevant to the people who are upset, is exploring new stuff, meeting new people, or seeing people do crazy shit you haven't seen before, even if it is the status quo ss13 has a way of making everything insane, i know people feel the same way about seeing a megafauna for the first time hell if it's on a station as well, admin events with weird sprited shit, a shuttle full of null crates, etc.

ss13 will always benefit from being a d&d type free game where the shit that can happen in it will always have more depth than any other game simply because it is allowed to happen whereas in other games it would not be allowed to happen, not to say it wouldn't be good without this but it certainly gives it it's charm.
retired ss13 coderman
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #569321

Null crates exist again now from a random event... Free gamer gear from the sky.....
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569326

I'll be honest as someone who's been playing for a long time and remembers when oxygen tanks were rare this game always goes through radical transformations as metas get stale

Most of those 'fun syndie items' were either hell to play against and/or are still viable just not absurdly so

Just feels you're more burnout in general which is kinda the cycle with this game, play a lot, get burnout, and then quit for a period varying from a month to a couple years in my experience

Either that or go disappear into CM or forbidden russian conversion servers for a bit
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #569354

Fun fact if you think movespeed right now is too slow you have brain damage
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #569361

Armhulen wrote:yeah i dunno after 2 years most jobs won't do it for you since they're very simple. the best kind of jobs are like janitor because of how organic and interesting their job is, every round is a new challenge to clean :)
All of the best players end up as Service main
#fuck science fuck security
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569363

Remember, the best role is a service role.

Well actually it's a medical role right now but I think that merely highlights a lack of consistency with door access.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569364

confused rock wrote:Fun fact if you think movespeed right now is too slow you have brain damage
rock with the based take
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #569365

we still gotta keep hammering down stun meta.
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569369

Armhulen wrote:we still gotta keep hammering down stun meta.
fuck the stun meta
all my homies hate the stun meta
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569371

Swing meta...one day...
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Post by The Respected Man » #569374

Flash instead of stunning should apply the same property as though you are on a skateboard so if you run into a wall, you will crash into it and stun yourself. If you go into walk mode while having the blind effect you won't get stunned by running into someone or a wall.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #569376

The Respected Man wrote:Flash instead of stunning should apply the same property as though you are on a skateboard so if you run into a wall, you will crash into it and stun yourself. If you go into walk mode while having the blind effect you won't get stunned by running into someone or a wall.
tbh all disoriented movement should do this. would make being drunk a lot more comical. also give this to the clown at all times.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #569378

Sap you ironically call me knowledgeable but I’d say I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to this shit. It’s no secret that I was a shitter and constantly did the exact same things I was bashing in my post. I also inevitably burned out from these things, sometime in 2019, and it was by reworking my mindset and playstyle that I began to enjoy it again. You say all jobs are, at the end of the day, just as empty as greytiding - which is true. None of us vets play the game because we like watching slimes mutate, or fusion, or whatever time sink is available. We play both for the community, and the unique environment ss13 offers. For me personally the latter is what I love the most, it’s a masterclass in absurdity.
[this space reserved]
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #569379

Also lol’d at spaces post
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #569382

burned out? Just leave
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569387

Orangeman removes: playerbase
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #569401

wesoda25 wrote:Sap you ironically call me knowledgeable but I’d say I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to this shit. It’s no secret that I was a shitter and constantly did the exact same things I was bashing in my post. I also inevitably burned out from these things, sometime in 2019, and it was by reworking my mindset and playstyle that I began to enjoy it again. You say all jobs are, at the end of the day, just as empty as greytiding - which is true. None of us vets play the game because we like watching slimes mutate, or fusion, or whatever time sink is available. We play both for the community, and the unique environment ss13 offers. For me personally the latter is what I love the most, it’s a masterclass in absurdity.
you act like you’ve stumbled upon some eldritch secret that none of us have done before

bro, guys, if you play the game differently, get this: it feels more new and interesting because you’re doing different stuff

wow fucking shocker

i’ve done years of roleplay in other games and did so when i was first playing ss13, the way you are playing right now will not last forever and no playstyle will keep your interest forever.

tl;dr

stop telling other people how to have fun cringe lol
retired ss13 coderman
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569404

oranges wrote:burned out? Just leave
based take
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #569412

Make getting a wound purge active knockdowns/stuns/stam crit and make determination give decent stamina regen. Will be a big step towards beating stun meta.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #569413

oranges wrote:burned out? Just leave
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #569414

everyone hates the stun meta but barely anyone actually does anything to remove the stuns. the ones who do normally get screamed at by retards until they stop
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #569419

i really like the direction the code is going in but theres too many cringe people and not enough based people for me to enjoy the game anymore #2018bagil #bringitback (i know 2018 bagil isnt old but it was more fun than 2017 bagil thats for sure)

a recent dramatic event also made me feel much less confident in my judgement as an admin too, prior to that i liked to help trialmins out with their questions and chime in when the echo chamber was deliberating on something. id retire again but a lot of people really don't approve of "revolving door adminning" and if someone like that got headmin i'd have trouble getting back in if i ever wanted to admin again.i dont blame any headmins(future or past) that hold that stance, im not the one that has to do all the work regarding permissions and announcements and stuff for new admins.

moral of the story is take breaks from gaming and pet your dog and call your parents to tell that you love them

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #569426

Whoneedspacee wrote:
you act like you’ve stumbled upon some eldritch secret that none of us have done before

bro, guys, if you play the game differently, get this: it feels more new and interesting because you’re doing different stuff

wow fucking shocker

i’ve done years of roleplay in other games and did so when i was first playing ss13, the way you are playing right now will not last forever and no playstyle will keep your interest forever.

tl;dr

stop telling other people how to have fun cringe lol
Im stating the obvious because op was whining about it and somehow attributed their burnout to less ways to murderbone.
[this space reserved]
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #569477

This I feel is very demeaning take tbh, even if it surely applies to some. Especially demeaning given how many, many jobs are just vapid/boring/lack content. And even these that are not and have some content to it (for nonantags), are not necessarily all that interesting for everyone (despite coders' best efforts that yielded improvements for MDs/Chemists/Cargonians for instance). I play the game mostly for social aspect of it, fun of participating in organic story, and to do whatever I feel like doing at the moment, no matter how dumb it is, and some PVE/PVP action, which is what you could very briefly sum up as combat, memes and tiding if you wanted to perform such exercise in ill interpretation, and while I understand that watching some gas burn for full hour/pumping these SM MeVs, I'm just not cut out for it. And these are still some of the better jobs in terms of depth, look at viro for instance- this is some of the most mind numbing and irritating thing I can think of doing
I appreciate coderbus for taking up unpopular task of trying to rebalance the meta, some things were very OP and dominated meta too much and were bullshit frankly (some less so, but that's up to debate, and hey you gotta take good with the bad). But I dislike forumposters lacking self awareness catechizing everyone with their enlightened take on how you gotta enjoy the game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #569478

fuck off greytider
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #569481

My post wasn’t a blanket statement as to how one should play the game, it was addressed solely to the OP. He literally says that the only thing he enjoys anymore is combat, and laments that people are attempting to wrestle that system into something a little more fair. How is my saying “learn to enjoy other parts of the game” anything but the obvious solution to his burn out.
[this space reserved]