[MRP] Make anesthetics desirable during surgery

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

[MRP] Make anesthetics desirable during surgery

Post by Space Panda » #569460

This idea is targeted towards MRP servers.

Life on Space Station 13 can be quite dangerous, and everyday many of its crew members must undergo brutal surgeries in order to stay alive. But most of these surgeries happen without any use of anesthetics, with doctors and patients alike seemingly ignoring the tremendous amount of pain they're supposed to inflict.

Right now, the only reason to use anesthetics is to make sure someone is completely incapacitated while you're doing surgery on them. And if you just need somebody unable to move, it is easier and safer to handcuff or straightjacket them. This makes anesthetics almost completely pointless.

That's why I propose that doing surgery on a patient who is awake and not under the effect of any numbing substance becomes more difficult. Being subject to surgery should be something painful, and the pain should affect your mental state and make you convulse in agony, making it harder for the doctors to successfuly complete each surgery step. This would add a layer of depth to surgery, making it more immersive and interesting.

:bluetank: Being unconscious should make the person not experience any pain, therefore not decreasing the chance of success of the surgery.
:beer: Alternatively, being under the influence of alcohol may decrease the amount of pain someone experiences, depending on its concentration in someone's blood. This should work as a ghetto replacement for anesthetics.
:sad: Otherwise, performing surgery on someone who's being subjected to unmitigated pain should be considerably harder.

:medbot: Also, for quicker and simpler surgeries (such as tending wounds), there could be a liquid anesthetic substance (morphine?) that can be injected into the specific body part that is receiving surgery. This would have the same effect of using an anesthetic tank, but restricted to a specific body part, and avoiding the need for the patient to be unconscious.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Re: [MRP] Make anesthetics desirable during surgery

Post by Sheodir » #569491

I agree with this but still think you should change back to the trash panda picture
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #569493

the MRP doctor can just put anaesthetic on the dude for the RP reasons already if they dont want aneasthetics ahelp them for fail rp
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #569496

Counterpoint: i have to remain conscious to walk the knuckledragging atavists that populate manuel medbay through the surgery.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569497

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Counterpoint: i have to remain conscious to walk the knuckledragging atavists that populate manuel medbay through the surgery.
Crag isn't even wrong but goddamn how hard it is to use the fucking handhold computer
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569500

I thought it already speeds up the surgery.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569501

NecromancerAnne wrote:I thought it already speeds up the surgery.
Nope, absolutely no benefit. Even if it sped it up surgery is so fast it wouldn't be worth the time of procuring the anesthetics to begin with.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #569502

it speeds it up in the instance where the user wont stop moving.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569505

Cobby wrote:it speeds it up in the instance where the user wont stop moving.
If they won't stop moving the usual ways of applying aesthetics won't work since they have to stay still for them to apply. Unless you're running around gunning people around with sedative syringes, but that's a fringe case.
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #569506

Doing surgery is already pretty easy. Most of the time all it takes is to use drapes, select the kind of surgery you want, then try using every surgery tool on the patient until the game accepts it. Rinse and repeat. There's barely any punishment for mistakes, and the worst thing that can happen is you leaving a tool inside someone's belly by accident.

If someone who's playing as a doctor isn't using the many tools the game offers them (such as health analyzer) properly, let them be punished for it. And yes, you might argue that the one who gets punished is the patient who's being treated by a complete fucking moron, but that's just the nature of a cooperative mmorpg. And it is also in the nature of a cooperative mmorpg to be socially punished for being incompetent at your role. If people see a doctor constantly fucking up, they should complain about them to their superiors. And if those complaints are ignored, they should take matters into their own hands, and that can be done in many interesting ways:

:burn: creating their own alternative medbay in maintenance;
:unknownman: starting a riot;
:silentman: planting false evidence on those people, incriminating them;
:honkman: kidnapping them and breaking their fingers;
:revolver: or just fucking mudering them
etc.

The most memorable and fun stories happen because of the social aspect of the game. Leaving room for social punishment is important, and makes things more interesting than just increasing the difficulty of game mechanics. Reacting to people performing their jobs badly, and wanting to have them replaced should be part of the roleplay.

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Counterpoint: i have to remain conscious to walk the knuckledragging atavists that populate manuel medbay through the surgery.
Wouldn't this be quite an interesting scenario though? You, drugged and half-numb, trying to explain to a moron how to save you?

Also, I've played quite a few times as a doctor in Manuel, and it is definetly not as bad as you guys are implying.
NecromancerAnne wrote:I thought it already speeds up the surgery.
If it does, the amount by which it happens is negligible. I like using it whenever I do surgery, for roleplaying reasons, and I don't feel any difference.
Last edited by Space Panda on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569507

It can be pretty bad in Manuel, but hey, I agree with most of what you're saying. I straight up dislike the handhold computer and the fact we have no more fail-states in surgery when using the wrong tools, but if people are already fucking up without those I don't know how it'd be otherwise.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #569513

It might help if applying the anesthetic was easier. Perhaps it could be built into medical surgery tables, so all you'd need to do is press a button on the table or console to lower a mask and knock the patient out.
Otherwise the time and fiddling needed for anesthesia will never be worth it to save a little time on the operation.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569514

XDTM wrote:It might help if applying the anesthetic was easier. Perhaps it could be built into medical surgery tables, so all you'd need to do is press a button on the table or console to lower a mask and knock the patient out.
Otherwise the time and fiddling needed for anesthesia will never be worth it to save a little time on the operation.
This isn't a bad idea, plus it'd make fighting in the medrooms kinda interesting. Knock someone onto a table, press the lever kronk, they get at least woozy before they can get back up.
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #569516

XDTM wrote:It might help if applying the anesthetic was easier. Perhaps it could be built into medical surgery tables, so all you'd need to do is press a button on the table or console to lower a mask and knock the patient out.
That's why I also proposed localized anesthesia by injection. quicker to do, useful for the simpler surgical proceedures.

But I do agree that applying full anesthesia should be easier.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #569562

the codebase does not distinguish
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #569564

oranges wrote:the codebase does not distinguish
Then it doesn't need to be localized anesthesia, but just a weaker kind of it. Something that makes the person groggy, but not asleep. Just having morphine in someone's blood should work, I think.

Anyway, the main point is to make anesthesia useful for surgery and to consider the effects of pain on a patient.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #569567

I want this to happen. Of course it would need playtestig and a lot of fiddling around to integrate it and making it the norm, but really, I've always found the lack of sudden screaming, involuntary pain impulses and/or resulting trauma from being operated or amputated while awake extremely awkward and inmersion-breaking. Sure, you can RP it, but scream emote doesn't even have sound and it gets kind of stale to be screaming and yelling random bullshit when you're in pain (and I've done it). This pain and impulses are not something you should decide to RP, and it should work the same as when your character screams automatically for losing a limb to an explosion or such.

NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #569572

Everytime this idea pops up I keep asking the same thing and so far no one can give me a good answer

how would this be fun or improve the game

doing things for the sake of immersion is fucking stupid. You cant point a magazine at the ground in real life and have all the unused bullets magically fly into it. It may not be immersive, but its a lot more enjoyable to not have to manually pick up every single bullet and put it into the gun

Frequently the skull dented morons that play medical have fucked up basic surgery that I had to end up guiding them through. Not only that, but its also surprisingly not fun to sit and stare at a blank screen. People having surgery done on them would just have to alt tab

how does the game benefit from forcing people to stop playing for no reason
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #569575

NoxVS wrote:Everytime this idea pops up I keep asking the same thing and so far no one can give me a good answer

how would this be fun or improve the game

doing things for the sake of immersion is fucking stupid. You cant point a magazine at the ground in real life and have all the unused bullets magically fly into it. It may not be immersive, but its a lot more enjoyable to not have to manually pick up every single bullet and put it into the gun

Frequently the skull dented morons that play medical have fucked up basic surgery that I had to end up guiding them through. Not only that, but its also surprisingly not fun to sit and stare at a blank screen. People having surgery done on them would just have to alt tab

You talk like this would increase the time it would take for surgery to happen by a lot, but it shouldn't. It's just an extra click or two, and has more to do with having the resource (anesthetic tank, morphine or alcohol) available than making it harder.

And Manuel rounds usually last between 50 minutes to 2 hours. What's the problem with being out for a couple minutes? The MRP experience isn't supposed to be super fast-paced and action-packed.

It is about creating interesting and diverse scenarios, where people have to adapt both their decision-making and roleplay to different situations.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #569576

Space Panda wrote:You talk like this would increase the time it would take for surgery to happen by a lot, but it shouldn't. It's just an extra click or two, and has more to do with having the resource (anesthetic tank, morphine or alcohol) available than making it harder.

And Manuel rounds usually last between 50 minutes to 2 hours. What's the problem with being out for a couple minutes? The MRP experience isn't supposed to be super fast-paced and action-packed.

It is about creating interesting and diverse scenarios, where people have to adapt both their decision-making and roleplay to different situations.
Not playing the game isnt an interesting or diverse scenario. If anything this will just lead to people getting silently murdered with no chance for counterplay.

The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #569577

NoxVS wrote:
Space Panda wrote:You talk like this would increase the time it would take for surgery to happen by a lot, but it shouldn't. It's just an extra click or two, and has more to do with having the resource (anesthetic tank, morphine or alcohol) available than making it harder.

Not playing the game isnt an interesting or diverse scenario. If anything this will just lead to people getting silently murdered with no chance for counterplay.

You could ask the same question about the thing that caused the person to need to have surgery, which is usually getting injured by some antag. Why have antags with murder objectives then? Your argument makes no sense.

Also, most surgeries that would require total anesthesy happen because someone has got their health in a very bad situation, meaning most of the times they'd be already unconscious or barely able to act.

And the reason why I'm proposing partial anesthesy (making people groggy instead of asleep) for simpler surgeries is exactly to avoid getting people unconscious all the time.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #569581

This is mrp not hrp, I dont trust either being taken under for 30m because something happened and they forgot or they're a traitor and kill me.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #569590

The reason i like pushing for surgery anesthesia is because it gives a plusibly deniable reason to knock out the patient and do anything you want to them without them knowing. If anesthesia becomes the norm, then traitor surgeons become able to do gimmicks like planting bombs in their patient's chest cavities, or other surgeries that would raise alarms if the patient was able to see them.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #569612

here's what I said about it in a PR
I guess my concern is that even if you make it desirable to the player from a cost:benefit pov, the reality is the mechanic encourages the player to do something short of alt-tabbing.

From a medical pov, I think there is a delicate balance because you have to appease both doctors (what I tend to focus on) AND patients (sleeper/trekchem era). As someone who has moved towards surgery, I will be the first to tell you it is not terribly enjoyable for either side even if it does a lot of things right for balance.

Forcing your living patients to be in a situation where tabbing out of the game watching runtime videos on y*utube is more tasteful than being tabbed into the game because of a number slider, regardless of how great that number slider is, feels like a design failing to me.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #569616

Yeah, the lack of gameplay for anyone unconscious is the main issue against this. The only solution i can think of that would make unconsciousness (and the antag gimmicks that would follow) acceptable is to add some kind of minigame while you're knocked out.
As a bonus, it would most likely prevent the player from seeing their surroundings as they currently can, which would make it possible for the player to potentially wake up without knowing where they were dragged.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569628

bring back the old panda
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #569667

Cobby wrote:here's what I said about it in a PR
I guess my concern is that even if you make it desirable to the player from a cost:benefit pov, the reality is the mechanic encourages the player to do something short of alt-tabbing.

From a medical pov, I think there is a delicate balance because you have to appease both doctors (what I tend to focus on) AND patients (sleeper/trekchem era). As someone who has moved towards surgery, I will be the first to tell you it is not terribly enjoyable for either side even if it does a lot of things right for balance.

Forcing your living patients to be in a situation where tabbing out of the game watching runtime videos on y*utube is more tasteful than being tabbed into the game because of a number slider, regardless of how great that number slider is, feels like a design failing to me.
maybe anasthetics could send you to dreamland where you can thunderdome against ghosts or something
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #569686

PKPenguin321 wrote:

maybe anasthetics could send you to dreamland where you can thunderdome against ghosts or something
it’s literally the same as VR we had before there was a ghost role there you could spawn in and fight others n shit
the problem is that you’d have to be deleted from your body as long as you are there and it’s vr so naturally it would be broken and exploited
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569720

snip
Program in a rhythm game that slightly speeds up surgery when you get it right.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #569762

Sheodir wrote:
snip
Program in a rhythm game that slightly speeds up surgery when you get it right.
As long as lag and time dilation exist it's probably best to avoid anything based on timing.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569779

XDTM wrote:
Sheodir wrote: Program in a rhythm game that slightly speeds up surgery when you get it right.
As long as lag and time dilation exist it's probably best to avoid anything based on timing.
I was mostly memeing. I think injured parties just have to accept they won't be talking for a while doing a surgery. The only other suggestion I have is that surgery beds specifically can have a feature where the patient is put down but can speak through the machine and see their surroundings, unless the station is emagged which immediately raises suspicion.
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #569787

Sheodir wrote:
XDTM wrote:
Sheodir wrote: Program in a rhythm game that slightly speeds up surgery when you get it right.
I was mostly memeing. I think injured parties just have to accept they won't be talking for a while doing a surgery. The only other suggestion I have is that surgery beds specifically can have a feature where the patient is put down but can speak through the machine and see their surroundings, unless the station is emagged which immediately raises suspicion.
maybe not see their surroundings, but to communicate their thoughts through the machine. maybe even have it connected to the common radio frequency