BYOND account: spencleb
Character name: Bob Harmbaton
Ban type: Multikeying
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Multi-keying with spencleb1 https://imgur.com/a/io8ph29
Time ban was placed: 2020-05-12 04:14:17
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 136903
Your side of the story: dated but to recollection banned for a multiple login instances while playing medical or security to observe games in session while still active. Most instances were tied to general boredom in a shift role to see what's happening or in a heat of the moment situation. Happened occasionally enough but not every round nor the majority.
Why you think you should be unbanned: Honestly this is hard to justify especially with a backlog infractions and mixed bag IC record, but on the suggestion of another admin thought I'd try to see if there even is a way out or otherwise just to see if this posts just affirms my preconceptions of how things here are handled here. I don't have it out for the admins but lack of a response to past infractions or the overzealotry/aggressiveness in some replies predicated my response toward distrust/deceptions when dealing with them while playing on other accounts. Plus I thought I had made a post about this a while ago that I thought was ignored but I see no record of it ever submitted or approved, so that's on me. Either way, I come to Manuel to play a role most times without strict adherence to an heavy RP standard or an air of chaos and mayhem like on other servers and just chill. I am offering to dial back on the multikeying, deception, any veiled threat to use alternate accounts or grief if I am allowed to just resume playing even with stipulations/apologies so long as they're not too burdensome. I have the ability to keep playing this on the same machine undeterred through workarounds but to save time on the tedious setup and because I dislike the idea further ruining the experience of uninvolved players any further, I'd thought I try to reconcile and be honest first and see if reaps anything. I could keep this games on and still enjoy myself but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: [RaveRadbury] Spencleb - ban for multikeying

Post by RaveRadbury » #570792

Hi, thanks for taking the time to appeal.

I appreciate your candor in making this appeal. I was expecting to see this appeal shortly after the ban was placed, in light of recent events I understand why that did not happen. It is unfortunate that there was a misunderstanding with whether or not you had appealed the ban, and the thought that you had has clearly sent the whole situation into an unnecessarily negative place. I hope that through this appeal you will be able to find some peace and understanding as to why things unfolded the way that they did and how we can move forward from here.
spencleb wrote:Honestly this is hard to justify especially with a backlog infractions and mixed bag IC record, but on the suggestion of another admin thought I'd try to see if there even is a way out or otherwise just to see if this posts just affirms my preconceptions of how things here are handled here.
While writing my response I have reviewed the notes for your accounts and honestly it doesn't appear that any of your noted behavior began to verge on any kind of response as severe as the one that we have to give in incidences of active multikeying and metacomms. It's such an intense unfair advantage and it can be done so easily that we have to acknowledge the massive breach of trust against the community and apply permabans. That you didn't appeal the initial ban and continued to evade and multikey means that we have to continue applying permas until you own up to the situation as you're doing now, and as I requested when I made the initial ban.

spencleb wrote:dated but to recollection banned for a multiple login instances while playing medical or security to observe games in session while still active. Most instances were tied to general boredom in a shift role to see what's happening or in a heat of the moment situation. Happened occasionally enough but not every round nor the majority.
This is cheating. You cheated at this game. You cheated for entertainment, and you cheated for benefit. There is no mitigating justification for this. You'll need to acknowledge that you cheated without excuse if we are to move towards reintegrating you into the community.

spencleb wrote:I don't have it out for the admins but lack of a response to past infractions or the overzealotry/aggressiveness in some replies predicated my response toward distrust/deceptions when dealing with them while playing on other accounts. Plus I thought I had made a post about this a while ago that I thought was ignored but I see no record of it ever submitted or approved, so that's on me.
I witnessed some of the initial interactions between your kirkergard account and the administration, wherein you played ignorant to your setup and professed a need to play from a VPN because you were in China. This deceit destroys an already severely eroded trust and further escalates your situation. It seems like you are saying you did this because you presumed that we ignored your appeal?

Keep in mind that this "distrust" that you speak of was established by you when you were caught multikeying and was compounded by your further evasion. If you experienced aggressiveness, it's likely related to the fact that any one who is ban evading has likely committed acts that warranted a permaban, and the act of evasion is a further breach of social contract. This is different from an initial bwoink, this is someone engaging our system as a likely malicious actor.

spencleb wrote:I am offering to dial back on the multikeying, deception, any veiled threat to use alternate accounts or grief if I am allowed to just resume playing even with stipulations/apologies so long as they're not too burdensome. I have the ability to keep playing this on the same machine undeterred through workarounds but to save time on the tedious setup and because I dislike the idea further ruining the experience of uninvolved players any further, I'd thought I try to reconcile and be honest first and see if reaps anything. I could keep this games on and still enjoy myself but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
Should you be allowed back into the community you will not multikey again unless you desire to betray any newly formed trust here. I am astounded that in the same breath that you claim you are done with threats you proceed to push that you will ruin the experience of uninvolved players should things not go your way here. Trying to take a position of power in this appeal does nothing to help your case and demonstrates how little you have considered your situation. You do realize that new accounts are locked out of most jobs and require hours of investment to open up? Do you think that you are the first person to engage evasion and grief strategies? If not, what do you think happened to the people who were doing such things? Do you think that their demands were met?

Your choices at this point are either:
  • Take your lumps, take a break, get a voucher from somewhere that isn't a /tg/ downstream, come back later and try this again

The benefit of this option is that you are engaging with the disciplinary system of the community, and in doing so you are rebuilding trust via compliance. You may be able to play the game again in the /tg/station community, using your ckey, and your statics. It should be from somewhere that isn't a /tg/ downstream because of the severe burnout that you are exhibiting with your behavior. If you spend some time getting your spaceman content somewhere else, your return to /tg/station will be that much more refreshed and new.
  • Continue with your plan to evade and grief our servers because we banned you for breaking very important rules

You will likely be unable to engage the /tg/station community authentically ever again. Only once the active community has changed enough for them to have forgotten you will there be a chance, and once they check your records that chance will likely evaporate. The time it takes you to make the adjustments to evade is much longer than the time it takes us to recognize and deal with you. As an evader we require no investigation or consideration for your account, we just slap a perma and move on. If you decide to make good on your threats to grief, the active staff will handle you. If no staff are online, the playerbase is more than prepared to handle self-antags. Should your rage subside and you desire to play in good faith your reputation will still be in shambles and you will be left playing as a literallywho, keeping your head down and trying to avoid your next eventual discovery and ban.
Burnout and boredom sucks, but it doesn't excuse you from the rules. Why should you be exempt from this fundamental concept of fairness? What makes you special?

If you're reaching a space of boredom and heat that you have to multikey to enjoy the game, you're in need of an actual and real break. I'm being absolutely sincere here. Please take this opportunity to be welcome in the community again, for your own sake.
This isn't about the game and the system, its about the community that you've betrayed with your actions. No amount of tinkering with your computer is going to fix your standing in the community.
spencleb

Post by spencleb » #570820

You will likely be unable to engage the /tg/station community authentically ever again. Only once the active community has changed enough for them to have forgotten you will there be a chance, and once they check your records that chance will likely evaporate. The time it takes you to make the adjustments to evade is much longer than the time it takes us to recognize and deal with you. As an evader we require no investigation or consideration for your account, we just slap a perma and move on. If you decide to make good on your threats to grief, the active staff will handle you. If no staff are online, the playerbase is more than prepared to handle self-antags. Should your rage subside and you desire to play in good faith your reputation will still be in shambles and you will be left playing as a literally who, keeping your head down and trying to avoid your next eventual discovery and ban.

...its about the community that you've betrayed with your actions. No amount of tinkering with your computer is going to fix your standing in the community
Ya, thought as much, honestly you keep emphasizing community/reputation but to me the standing in the community argument falls flat as to those who have old standing ties, having a stake as a new player in a long running game offers little incentive, where some are well established, further dissuades from playing that rat race. Again is just a game. Also a game based around the fact that every round can be practically a blank anonymous slate where an in-game name can be divorced from user identity doesn't help either. Some people chose to identify with their same in player name, I don't see much point in. And "hours of investment to open up?", ehh it's tedious to trivial at best to play like 15hrs and wait a week for some roles and if I feel even less inclined just use the keybot during off-hours to do that work. You also make it seem it's a great loss. meh. I've gone by just fine between the initial ban and the beginning of using the alt account just fine. It's not the only thing I play nor do, just like the design of ss13 enough to occasionally come to back to it. Actually I've come to realize where I had been careless in my setup and let info slip, and won't be making that mistake again. I would say its even fun to test and know where limits of what admins/Stickyban System see lie, it can be a game in and of itself but just comes with baggage. Just disappointing trying to be forthcoming is met with hostility and judgement.

Sorry for the trouble/fuss, I'll be around either way and whether its this user or another, even got some friends that have caught on to how enjoyable this game can be even in spite of the quirks of player-base and admins.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #570829

We have been through this with far too many people. I am sorry. This could have been much better than you made it. "Have It Your Way, ®" I guess.

Code: Select all

tha_snazzle's IP blocked from BK ChatZone