Respawn

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Respawn

Post by Ivuchnu » #571351

Don't you love dying to something at the beginning of round that gonna go for couple of hours (hello Manuel) with no good ghost roles available? I propose if you die, you are given an option to join station using arrival shuttle as new character once some long time passes, something like 30 minutes.

Pros:
  • You are not effectively banned from round if you fall down chasm (can we unbullshit them?) or die similarly stupid death, particularly when involving you losing body, being off sensors or suffering medbay troubles like ethereal failed battery.
  • Doing assassination objective does not automatically make you biggest dick in the world.
  • You don't have to call shuttle for OOC consideration of "ghosts need to play".
Cons:
  • Something something metagame. If that's really a problem, dead could be booted to lobby for those 30 minutes or until revived and observegang ghosts wanting to play would have to yeet self into lobby for 30 minutes. You already can kill self and have medbay revive you for muh metagame.
What are your opinions?
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Respawn

Post by PKPenguin321 » #571358

if you die to some particularly dumb out-of-your-hands bullshit particularly early it's worth shooting off an ahelp, i've seen people who jettisoned themselves off of the mining shuttle at roundstart by accident get pity-respawned. obviously not foolproof and you're liable to rule 10, which is also what i think of this thread in general.

rule 10. if you die and lose, you die and lose. don't worry about it.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571361

Some rule existing does not make bullshit death less bullshit.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #571364

Ivuchnu wrote:Some rule existing does not make bullshit death less bullshit.
correct, but the rule never says it's not bullshit, it just says that you gotta buck up and deal with it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #571369

Respawn is a config option and admins can turn it on for a round if they want. There's also two MRP servers so play on the other one if you die?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #571371

Removes the legitimacy of death for a player. Death should be respected, and it won’t be as a small roadblock.
[this space reserved]
Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

Post by Space Panda » #571374

wesoda25 wrote:Removes the legitimacy of death for a player. Death should be respected, and it won’t be as a small roadblock.
It's a roleplaying game, not a competitive one. Legitimacy of death would only be a problem if you respawned as a clone of the same character. Nothing wrong with starting from 0 with a new character mid-round.

Perhaps we could make it so you can't start your 2nd character with the same job as the first.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #571379

this is a policy discussion.