Respawn

Would you like to see public servers offering respawn mechanic that is not robotics/xenobio?

Yes
18%
No
82%
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 28

Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Respawn

Post by Ivuchnu » #571396

I believe this is more about code than half-baked feature for which config option exists. Does "norespawn" even have cooldown on respawn when disabled? It looked like purely testing feature or something you'd enable as admin during sandbox/all traitors badmemery.

Don't you love dying to something at the beginning of round that gonna go for couple of hours (hello Manuel) with no good ghost roles available? I propose if you die, you are given an option to join station using arrival shuttle as new character once some long time passes, something like 30 minutes.

Pros:
  • You are not effectively banned from round if you fall down chasm (can we unbullshit them?) or die similarly stupid death, particularly when involving you losing body, being off sensors or suffering medbay troubles like ethereal failed battery.
  • Doing assassination objective does not automatically make you biggest dick in the world.
  • You don't have to call shuttle for OOC consideration of "ghosts need to play".
Cons:
  • Something something metagame. If that's really a problem, dead could be booted to lobby for those 30 minutes or until revived and observegang ghosts wanting to play would have to yeet self into lobby for 30 minutes. You already can kill self and have medbay revive you for muh metagame.
What are your opinions?
Last edited by Ivuchnu on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Re: Respawn

Post by Flatulent » #571398

it’s not coding feedback
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #571399

i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571400

it’s not coding feedback
It's about changing "OOC - Respawn" feature. Currently we have that disabled and in no way I see it being enabled without code changes.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #571406

Ivuchnu wrote:
it’s not coding feedback
It's about changing "OOC - Respawn" feature. Currently we have that disabled and in no way I see it being enabled without code changes.
Educate yourself on what config options are and how they work. The code deliberately leaves the enabling/disabling of certain mechanics up to the server operators.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571415

I am aware of what config options are. I am convinced that in current state this "norespawn" will never be disabled on public server. It needs code change to become viable.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #571417

Ivuchnu wrote:I am aware of what config options are. I am convinced that in current state this "norespawn" will never be disabled on public server. It needs code change to become viable.
Then why is this in policy discussion?
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571418

Ask fruit.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #571419

we won't change it without the admins ever committing to enabling respawn which they will never ever do, so it's a policy discussion and a fruitless one at that.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #571421

oranges wrote:we won't change it without the admins ever committing to enabling respawn which they will never ever do, so it's a policy discussion and a fruitless one at that.
but you're here
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571422

Created poll to gauge interest in respawn mechanic being there.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #571424

[youtube]rQ28FcRePAo[/youtube]

No.

Dying is part of the game. It is part of what makes it dynamic and fun - because when you try something risky or fight for your life, you are literally fighting for your right to affect the shift any further. It's what causes gravitas to rescue operations of spaced bodies, what gives proper context to those rare moments you rez someone 40 minutes after they're dead. If the game has a true respawn, why bother?
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571426

If the game has a true respawn, why bother?
Victim is back to game quicker and may tell details about their death.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #571427

Ivuchnu wrote:
If the game has a true respawn, why bother?
Victim is back to game quicker and may tell details about their death.
>tell details
That's metagaming.
>back to the game quicker
Irrelevant. It still cheapens the experience and gravity of death within the shift.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571429

It's not metagaming if you remember your death. We have no "clone memory disorder" type of rules. And I do agree with Space Panda's "It's a roleplaying game, not a competitive one" take on "cheapens death".
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #571430

Ivuchnu wrote:It's not metagaming if you remember your death. We have no "clone memory disorder" type of rules. And I do agree with Space Panda's "It's a roleplaying game, not a competitive one" take on "cheapens death".
On the earlier point, it is metagaming in essence. The entire point of metagaming is not using shift information in an unfair way. We don't have clone memory disorder, which means that yes, part of this is making sure the body isn't found and brought back. But a respawn has no fucking counter. I don't understand this argument. How is saying respawn will be abused to make victims talk a good thing?

On the latter, that also makes no sense. Death is supremely cheap on competitive games. You died, you respawn 15 seconds later tops, or in a Battle Royale just roll a new lobby. It's because this is a roleplaying game that death matters so much. It means there is genuine fear when you're about to be taken off the shift, the fear that person you killed might wait God knows how long for a respawn just for a chance to get back at you is real, it causes the entire life of your roleplaying character to have its own weight. It's what makes risking yourself for dumb gimmicks or plays have actual meaning, because if everyone gets a bunch of retries on it, who cares.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571431

But sometimes, you just die. Not in fair way, not in way that enables RP. Stuff like chasms. How you are supposed to roleplay with chasm?
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #571432

Ivuchnu wrote:But sometimes, you just die. Not in fair way, not in way that enables RP. Stuff like chasms. How you are supposed to roleplay with chasm?
Sometimes, life itself is unfair. Dying in an unfair manner is a pain, but it can offer an interesting context if you are brought back from those unfair deaths.

On chasms, they're a Miner thing that I'll be frank, I was never that much of a fan of to begin with. I suppose the point was to add a reason to desire floating/flight but lava already does that. I think it'd be cool if Lavaland just had a hellish sub Z-level chasms made you fall down to whilst breaking both your legs (with a safe way down), but that's another policy discussion.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571433

How is saying respawn will be abused to make victims talk a good thing?
No, if you respawn, you are new character. Like posi. Then you are not allowed to know anything not coming from that new life. I see no way respawn actually enables people to metagame their killer without breaking rules.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #571436

Ivuchnu wrote:But sometimes, you just die. Not in fair way, not in way that enables RP. Stuff like chasms. How you are supposed to roleplay with chasm?
Literally rule 10 my dude.
I would give my thoughts on why I think it's a bad idea but Sheo has them mostly covered.

Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571437

I think existence of rule 10 should be brought to scrutiny. What it's purpose, even? You are already not allowed to metagrudge your killer or ick ock "John Doe is traitor" style.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #571439

Ok make another thread then.

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #571451

Ivuchnu wrote:It's not metagaming if you remember your death. We have no "clone memory disorder" type of rules. And I do agree with Space Panda's "It's a roleplaying game, not a competitive one" take on "cheapens death".
Ivuchnu wrote:
How is saying respawn will be abused to make victims talk a good thing?
No, if you respawn, you are new character. Like posi. Then you are not allowed to know anything not coming from that new life. I see no way respawn actually enables people to metagame their killer without breaking rules.
Jesus christ at least keep the bad position consistent.

Also, this is the most poorly disguised "i ded remove chasms" thread I've seen disguised as a "remove rule 10 and also enable respawns" thread.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #571453

Death is supposed to mean something.
[this space reserved]
Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

Post by Space Panda » #571454

ITT: \tg16/ dumb-dumbs can't roleplay a new character without metagaming with their previous knowledge

just be a good fucking roleplayer

edit: same principle as pretending not to know how to do surgery stuff when you're playing as a bartender. You HAVE the knowledge, but you choose not to use it, you pretend you don't have it.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #571455

I’m going to spawn camp people so they don’t metagrudge me when I’m antag so it’s ok
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #571456

Just because some people are capable doesnt mean everyone is. Oftentimes it will probably just be abused. This has no place on a low rp place like tg.
[this space reserved]
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #571457

wesoda25 wrote:Just because some people are capable doesnt mean everyone is. Oftentimes it will probably just be abused. This has no place on a low rp place like tg.
then that shouldn't be as much of a problem in Manuel, since it's mrp and players usually try to roleplay more

also, it would make even more sense to exist on Manuel, since rounds are way too long.

I do believe there should be a timer though. At least 15~20 minutes before you can return to the game, so living or dying doesn't become less meaningful.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #571458

just server hop if u dont want to be a ghost lol
Space Panda

Post by Space Panda » #571459

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:just server hop if u dont want to be a ghost lol
what if I'm a MRP player who doesn't like playing on LRP servers?

what if I'm european and don't want to play with high ping since there's only Terry on EU?

jesus why do I even respond to this fucking moron
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #571460

Space Panda wrote:then that shouldn't be as much of a problem in Manuel, since it's mrp and players usually try to roleplay more

also, it would make even more sense to exist on Manuel, since rounds are way too long.

I do believe there should be a timer though. At least 15~20 minutes before you can return to the game, so living or dying doesn't become less meaningful.
15 or 20 minutes is just a bit over max brig time, and nowhere near enough for death to remain meaningful as it currently is in the game. Whilst manuel rounds are long, they also have by far a lower lethality rate and very dedicated Paramedic teams to bringing people back.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #571462

Space Panda wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:just server hop if u dont want to be a ghost lol
what if I'm a MRP player who doesn't like playing on LRP servers?

what if I'm european and don't want to play with high ping since there's only Terry on EU?

jesus why do I even respond to this fucking moron
We have 6 servers, two are EU, two are MRP. these very harsh restrictions only if you demand both at the same time. On top of that, nothing stops you from doing other things between rounds if you truly feel locked out and breaks are very good for this kind of game.

When I first joined in 2015, there were nearly zero ways beyond cloning to come back so if your body get dumped you were pretty fucked. With only two servers server hopping was the shit and dying on both from antagonists basically meant get fucked and stop playing. We've made massive strides from that point with ghost roles (a bit overdone actually) and now there's never a situation where you cannot do anything while dead AND a crazy amount of servers to hop to just leads me to the conclusion that tlal is right in saying just server hop. TL;DR shouldn't gut our game design so you can let Campbell die.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #571465

Ivuchnu wrote:I am aware of what config options are. I am convinced that in current state this "norespawn" will never be disabled on public server. It needs code change to become viable.
so basically what you want is for the coders to override the headmins by turning a config option into a hardcoded value, forcing everyone who runs a tg codebase to play it that way on all servers, because that's the option you personally want

fuck, and I cannot express this enough, off
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #571466

yeah i guess what this comes down to is that nobody else wants it else admins would tick it
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #571469

config option into a hardcoded value
NO. Our current implementation of respawn does not seem to even enforce wait time. It's trash. I am not talking about forcing server admins having abandon_mob() feature enabled at all. Once idea explained in starting post is implemented in code, it still should be a config option.

Timer definitely must be there. I never proposed using existing respawn implementation at all.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #571478

Ivuchnu wrote:
NO. Our current implementation of respawn does not seem to even enforce wait time. It's trash. I am not talking about forcing server admins having abandon_mob() feature enabled at all. Once idea explained in starting post is implemented in code, it still should be a config option.

Timer definitely must be there. I never proposed using existing respawn implementation at all.
then code it yourself lmao just rip the code out of a hrp server that has it enabled
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #571481

Screemonster wrote:
Ivuchnu wrote:

then code it yourself lmao just rip the code out of a hrp server that has it enabled
Don't give bad advice, oranges will not allow random config changes/additions unless head admins Express that they're interested in using that option
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #571875

You should be able to respawn using a different character slot after ten minutes. Job slots shouldn't remain occupied by permanently dead characters. Good luck convincing people of this though. I wrote an explanation of my reasons but I'm not good enough at writing to post it without taking the time to edit it.

Suffice to say it'd either fix or ease the following problems:
- Inability to reach job goals despite lengthy attempts over multiple rounds
- Uneventful rounds due to large amounts of dead players
- Large amounts of server population dead for large parts of rounds
- Uneventful rounds due to lack of antag willingness to kill because of player reaction
- Uneventful rounds due to lack of deadliness from nerfs motivated by present consequences of death
I'll probably clean this post up a bit later
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #571932

how can you murderbone if people respawn
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #571943

Why does everyone assume every bad take has a place on Manuel. Like, seriously, the game runs pretty okay for LRP and MRP, we really don't need drastic differences in config or code for either server. I'm actually more annoyed Manuels config is used to push badly designed game modes under the rug rather than acknowledge they are bad game modes.

Shit like this is the last thing you'd want to see.
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #572333

Give some way for ghosts to register their interest in being spawned in as something and a mildly IC way for people on the station to tell, like a crystal ball in the chapel that glows with an intensity proportional to the number of non-AFK ghosts who have activated it. Or maybe something in science would be more useful.

There's a notification that informs the station when someone wants to be a pAI, there should be some way for roboticists and xenobiologists to know if making borg shells and posibrains or sentient xenobio stuff is going to be a waste of time or if there are ghosts sitting around who want to take the role.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #572345

add a freely-joinable ghostrole at centcom where you set up tower defence to prepare for when the shuttle arrives
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #572445

Flatulent wrote:how can you murderbone if people respawn
you can kill more ppl
NecromancerAnne wrote: Shit like this is the last thing you'd want to see.
Why is it?
Screemonster wrote:add a freely-joinable ghostrole at centcom where you set up tower defence to prepare for when the shuttle arrives
A tower defence ghost role to fuck people up sounds fun so you will have to make it have zero relevancy to the actual round
Zybwivcz wrote: There's a notification that informs the station when someone wants to be a pAI, there should be some way for roboticists and xenobiologists to know if making borg shells and posibrains or sentient xenobio stuff is going to be a waste of time or if there are ghosts sitting around who want to take the role.
This is a good idea but it sidesteps the actual issue
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #574902

We have no interest in implementing respawning.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: No, dying is part of the game and it has meaning because you can't respawn, this is not something I want to see at all.
Phuzzylodgik: No.
TWATICUS: No.