Movement Test Merge

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Movement Test Merge

Post by Istoprocent1 » #571996

Uhhh.... trying to find the words to describe it. Its not so good, could we not?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Movement Test Merge

Post by oranges » #572011

This isn't even feedback of any use you absolute tosspot

why don't you start with

A) why you think it is bad

B) images and or supporting evidence supporting your supposition.

C) any other RELEVANT info
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #572012

using walk like any normal mrp person would makes screen terrible to look at
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #572017

Flatulent wrote:using walk like any normal mrp person would makes screen terrible to look at
Are you able to capture a video of the issue, and review and report your current FPS/Icon scaling/Screen size settings?

Also your CPU/GPU.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #572019

oranges wrote:
Flatulent wrote:using walk like any normal mrp person would makes screen terrible to look at
Are you able to capture a video of the issue, and review and report your current FPS/Icon scaling/Screen size settings?

Also your CPU/GPU.
its more of an opinion thing than a bug or performance issue i think. running movement feels alright to look at but walking is slow and too smooth for my eyes when im used to very clunky movement.
it looks pretty much the same as the video actioninja posted on the pr, sudden change of movement smoothness make me feel uneasy
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #572025

Complaining smooth movement is too smooth. :shock:
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #572042

oranges wrote:A) why you think it is bad
Tweening displays everything in slow motion. Step diagonally? Watch yourself in slow motion. Crawl? Watch yourself in slow motion and so on. You cannot even tell if you need to stop pressing a key or not, because your sprite is in the middle of a tween. Without this movement the game used to be sharper and more enjoyable.

Now hold down the alt key to walk, you tween, then teleport. Walk a longer distance and you get motion sickness. Epic.

Watch beepsky walk teleport. Epic.
oranges wrote:B) images and or supporting evidence supporting your supposition.
Got no images and installing screen recording software to prove that this movement is ass is kinda pointless.
oranges wrote:C) any other RELEVANT info
Spoiler:
Imma be brutally honest. This new movement fucking sucks and the game is next to unplayable in most combat situations, especially in melee as the sprites are tweening and the game is lagging left and right.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #572046

your opionions are noted and duly discarded.
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #572057

are we talking about pixel movement or is there a test merge on one of the other servers i don't know about
i wanna make sure we're on the same topic before weighing in.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #572058

remanseptim wrote:are we talking about pixel movement or is there a test merge on one of the other servers i don't know about
i wanna make sure we're on the same topic before weighing in.
This is pixel movement
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #572062

Armhulen wrote:This is pixel movement
alright, cool
i concur that it's very jittery and somewhat laggy. i rarely have performance issues aside from the based and cool and epic input lock, but what i played of the test merge made movement immediately feel worse and more sluggish. there also sort of feels like a disconnect between my inputs and where my spaceman ends up, a type of unresponsiveness, but that may just be me having a thousand hours with tile-based movement in the brain. for top-down games, though, tile-based systems have always struck me as more intuitive, but that may just be a me thing.
as for general issues with performance, it does seem to affect some people moreso than others, but it affects a lot of people to at least some degree. is that something that can be optimized at all, or is this such a giant leap that people will be limited by stuff like hardware?
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #572063

Talking about the movement merge that happened to Terry (probably the same that initially started at Bagil).

Things used to move sharply and consistently, now things move like gelatin (you see a long and winded tween in between keypresses). The problem gets exponentially worse, when user is prone, wounded and even when doing diagonal movements.

One can easily see the difference, when one compares pre-merge prone movement to post-merge prone movement.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

void checkFeedback(string feedback)
{
    if (feedback != oranges.getOpinion())
    {
        oranges.setStance("Defensive");
        oranges.disregardFeedback();
    }
}
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #572077

Yeah this isn't about pixel movement, it's about smoothing changes in Terry. I agree it definitely looks... weird? The floor cat gang seemed to be sliding across the floor in slomo, and you seem to noticeably slow down when going diagonal. It doesn't look good but did make a tator easier to hit when he moved diagonally so what do I know.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #572093

this movement change is literally a matter of if people think it looks good or not if people do not think it looks good it doesn't mean they're fucking wrong
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #572094

It has a serious mechanical effect on combat as well. By making sprites move more slowly and smoothly they are much easier to click on. I've found I'm much more robust as strong melee fighters like holoparasites than I used to be. I think this may very well be a buff to melee combat, because ranged combat is far less reliant on directly clicking a sprite, and more about guessing where someone is going to move.

I am not complaining, I'm just saying that I hope that the influence on melee combat was considered, and if it hasn't been, it'd be worth keeping an eye on that for the sake of balancing melee combat, because this has a more significant impact than I would have intuitively thought (and thus maybe it has more impact than what the coders/maintainers thought).
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #574396

The smooth movement v2 aka. Turbosmooth, still worse than the original movement. Please remove.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #574439

makes me want to fucking puke and somehow feels slower than tile movement
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #574449

My problem with smooth movement is that it feels especially janky between moves, without smooth movement the jank felt evened out because hte movement itself was jank but so is the slight delay after reaching the tile you arrived at. With smooth movement, the move looks super silky, but after the move finishes it feels like you're suddenly stopping and starting again and that's whats janky to me. At least before smooth movement it felt uniform, but now it's not even consistent and that's more bothersome
kopoba
Byond Username: Kopoba

Post by kopoba » #574452

Orange as it is
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #574519

Under ideal circumstances (readl: minimal lag) I think this change is excellent, but I feel it wasn't tested under any kind of lag, because in real gameplay with over 40 people or so, it becomes extremely frustrating and very difficult to tell what tile someone is actually standing on, meaning it becomes extremely difficult to understand whether you're in melee range or not for a significant amount of combat.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman