Melee combat sucks

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Melee combat sucks

Post by PKPenguin321 » #568877

I keep seeing shit like this what with there being some discussion of stuns lately:
And what bugs me about this is that it assumes that "potential fights" that occur within melee range is an inherently good thing, which is capital B Bullshit. Pure hit-on-hit raw damage melee combat is fundamentally not fun unless you're severely contrarian. This is not a new idea and has been joked about for actual years with a perpetual tongue-in-cheek attitude ("heh, i clicked that guy until he went sideways, im so good at this game"). Melee fights fucking suck! Having to click on your opponents sprite directly 20 times while you both spaz out like horny fruitflies running in random directions isn't fun. Getting donked over the head exactly twice and then suddenly you move significantly slower because our slowdown works in tiers instead of just directly scaling to health sucks. What makes combat actually interesting is every mechanic that isn't "click on this guy until he falls down."

SS14 has acknowledged this and now uses a new system where clicking in a direction makes you fire off an entity that sweeps like a baseball bat or jabs forward like a spear, and that's actually kind of cool because it is in and of itself a mechanic that you can get good at and play around. The SS13 system, meanwhile, has basically no skill floor or ceiling. It's quite literally just walking in pretty much random directions and clicking as fast as you possibly can (or just having something set up that toggles an autoclicker). Miss a click? Doesn't matter, if you don't attack anything then you don't receive any click cooldown, so continue spamming away until you get a hit. Even just adding a cooldown to missed swings would make it infinitely more interesting, because presently the amount of interestingness it has in abstract units is 0.

Were stuns bad design? Maybe, maybe not, but I would rather get stunned and die and have the fight be over in 10 seconds than get fucking carpal tunnel syndrome while I flail wildly at some asshole who is forced to do the same back to me for five minutes. This is also part of why I fucking hate knockdown replacing actual stuns, because getting knocked down doesn't mean jack fucking shit, if you get knocked down your plan doesn't change at all. You STILL just keep spamming your left click even if you get knocked down. That's all you do and that's all it will be until something fundamentally changes.

Discussion I'd like to seen't: "I'm a huge contrarian and actually I like having carpal tunnel, I win, bye bye"
Discussion I'd like to see: "Maybe if we did X then melee combat would be fundamentally more interesting."
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Melee combat sucks

Post by Armhulen » #568914

Big agree. This isn't about stuns, this is about stupid click combat. Swinging, swing recharge times, and swing sizes, jabs, jab ranges, and jab recharges, these 6 variables applied to each weapon would already be a massive improvement to making melee combat more interesting AND make every weapon a hell of a lot more unique

Edit: maybe I'll even try mocking up my idea in code of how this should work, but i'm not enthusiastic about making the entire swing jab system alone
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #568924

Hard disabling someone with the press of a button is by no means a good thing, and the alternative being a click is only just a mildly better than terrible alternative. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't move away from stuns, we definitely need something like swings to make it less of a click fest.

Only thing being how exactly you telegraph a jab from a swing. Maybe like how hieroclub works with the cardinal points from where you click giving different effects?
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #568929

The possibility of hard disabling someone with the click of a button is what added paranoia to the game but every pr that touches on combat seeks to make it more fair and balanced and accessible to all parties, and then for some reason people are surprised and even upset people take to valid hunting. You'd never try to valid hunt a Ling with parasting because you know you'd eat shit and if someone tried to get too close to you one too many times you'd be scared, rightfully so.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #568939

Killing people is dead easy that you don't even need one clicks. It isnt better or more paranoia driven, you just need to get gud.

More importantly, having experienced paralings in the form of fulps bloodsuckers, I can assure you that this changed nothing and the only thing vamps did with their parasting was murderbone with their onetap and kill everyone who fought them by using their onetap. To think this isn't how things will go is ridiculous, since that is how combat is still defined even now as the remaining onetap victory tools are all that is used. A quick observation of terry and bagil is all you truly need to see what I mean.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #568980

NecromancerAnne wrote:Hard disabling someone with the press of a button is by no means a good thing, and the alternative being a click is only just a mildly better than terrible alternative. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't move away from stuns, we definitely need something like swings to make it less of a click fest.

Only thing being how exactly you telegraph a jab from a swing. Maybe like how hieroclub works with the cardinal points from where you click giving different effects?
SS14 which I am too lazy to boot up currently literally has a grey entity that fires off and can swing or jab forward, here is my epic artists rendition + cool ideas
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #568982

PKPenguin321 wrote:
NecromancerAnne wrote:Hard disabling someone with the press of a button is by no means a good thing, and the alternative being a click is only just a mildly better than terrible alternative. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't move away from stuns, we definitely need something like swings to make it less of a click fest.

SS14 which I am too lazy to boot up currently literally has a grey entity that fires off and can swing or jab forward, here is my epic artists rendition + cool ideas
Spoiler:
Is this doable in BYOND in any way though

I ask this earnestly I'm illiterate in the ways of the bizarro code
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #568984

considering we have pixel projectiles that work basically in the same way (they proc a hit when their sprite overlaps yours) i'd say yeah

also it doesnt have to be the only solution to making melee combat good, if you can think of something else please spitball it ITT
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #570122

Bump. SS14 style combat would be pretty cool, our current combat is largely ping based.

Here's maybe how it would work: Clicking anywhere with help intent just faces you that way as it does now. Clicking any direction with harm intent swings your melee weapon. This would hit anyone who is standing in the three tiles closest to you in the direction you swing. The first person hit will take the most damage, or could potentially block the attack for everyone else. If it has the sharp flag, it will cause cuts, otherwise just brute damage/bruising.

Clicking directly on a person is a targetted attack and thus thrusts the melee weapon at them without risking collateral damage, this would be more likely to cause penetration assuming the weapon has the sharp flag (the new wound, is that still a thing?). Targetted attacks are the only way to hit downed people. If you are downed and swinging a melee weapon, you will do damage to standing people's feet and other downed people.

This new system also gives potential for longer ranged melee weapons. I would also be able to support necromancer's stunbaton change (making them do stamina damage) since it would be less of a dumb game of yakety sax.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #570125

I'm not opposed to changing to a swing based system for melee, but who's willing to drive the project through to completion and test it?
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #570126

oranges wrote:I'm not opposed to changing to a swing based system for melee, but who's willing to drive the project through to completion and test it?
I know this guy, he has an orange theme, you'll love him
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #570128

oranges wrote:I'm not opposed to changing to a swing based system for melee, but who's willing to drive the project through to completion and test it?
Okay hear me out, what if we literally just made melee weapons into pseudo-guns that fire a really short range bullet and that's how it would work. That's what professional games do (for example TF2's melee weapons fire hitscan, which is also used by guns) and in our case it would cut out the vast majority of the work. I think we even already have a system in place to make projectiles die out after a set distance. I think after the initial refactor of all melee weapons, the only tricky part to code would be making a "swinging" projectile.
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #570136

I imagine doing what PKP described wouldn't be incredibly difficult, just time consuming/tedious. I have no idea where to start on the swinging thing but Shaps (I think?) coded a sledgehammer that acts in a manner similar to what I described. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do any of this right now, maybe in a couple months :p
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #570138

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Okay hear me out, what if we literally just made melee weapons into pseudo-guns that fire a really short range bullet and that's how it would work. That's what professional games do (for example TF2's melee weapons fire hitscan, which is also used by guns) and in our case it would cut out the vast majority of the work. I think we even already have a system in place to make projectiles die out after a set distance. I think after the initial refactor of all melee weapons, the only tricky part to code would be making a "swinging" projectile.
I want you to take a fork and shove it into your own hands repeatedly until you cannot type any more

There is absolutely not justification not to take the time to do this properly, we're not on a timeline
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #570234

I don't see how it would be "improper," since the idea behind what's being proposed for a jab from a melee weapon is that it literally shoots off an entity that hits people. Obviously you'd change it to not use most of the systems that guns do like ammo, the only part you would keep would be the code that fires off a fancy pixel projectile.

I might be misunderstanding you
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #570245

if you can't see why it's improper please don't get involved in developing this then.

edit: if someone is willing to go through with this I want to see a design doc first.

Also, we should likely implement this too https://hackmd.io/@tgstation/HJzKOr4hU
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #571748

i fully advocate for fun and unique melee combat systems but good luck finding a coder willing to do it
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #571779

make ss13 diablo 2 combat wise
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #571805

You want combat to not suck then it has to be less binary!
That means the mobs need to be DIFFERENT from eachother. Every fucking Human mob (almost) is the same as every other Human mob crewman.

There are no stats that make them Them. You can dress them up but the bit of armor and weapons that might vary are only just that. You're just putting the emphasis on the melee weapons/armor/upgrades instead of creating stat arrays for the Human. Exchanging one problem for another for the same attempted result.

You want combat to not suck, then the base combat mechanics for tg needs to be uplifted in a major way. This is a major change to your code and there's a reason it hasn't happened. Good luck but unless you make a slave out of someone and make sure they see it to an end, not happening.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #571806

Gamarr wrote:You want combat to not suck then it has to be less binary!
That means the mobs need to be DIFFERENT from eachother. Every fucking Human mob (almost) is the same as every other Human mob crewman.

There are no stats that make them Them. You can dress them up but the bit of armor and weapons that might vary are only just that. You're just putting the emphasis on the melee weapons/armor/upgrades instead of creating stat arrays for the Human. Exchanging one problem for another for the same attempted result.

You want combat to not suck, then the base combat mechanics for tg needs to be uplifted in a major way. This is a major change to your code and there's a reason it hasn't happened. Good luck but unless you make a slave out of someone and make sure they see it to an end, not happening.
No I'm pretty sure click combat's the issue

people already technically have vastly different stats depending on weapons/equipment, the issue is the interaction between those is boring
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #571874

we must add weapon durability
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #572018

I am interested in replacing click combat with one where the melee weapon simply hits the mob that is closest to the ray from your person to your mouse screen position upon click.

(Assuming anyone is in range)

But I have not seen anyone commit to this overhaul or a document describing their implementation approach
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #572021

oranges wrote:I am interested in replacing click combat with one where the melee weapon simply hits the mob that is closest to the ray from your person to your mouse screen position upon click.

But I have not seen anyone commit to this overhaul or a document describing their implementation approach
While this would definitely reduce the amount of spam clicking you would need to do, combat would still be entirely spam clicking, so I don't think this would be a definitive solution.
That said I think this was PRed long long ago and at the time I might have been against it for "trivializing melee combat" because I was a shitter
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #572096

oranges wrote:I am interested in replacing click combat with one where the melee weapon simply hits the mob that is closest to the ray from your person to your mouse screen position upon click.

This would significantly lower the skill floor for melee combat, and would make your actual gear, weaponry and/or RNG much bigger determining factors in the outcome of fights than they are now.

Not a criticism, just a comment. I've had my fill of spamclick melee fights for a lifetime so it's personally not a big deal to me if it gets drastically changed.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #572101

Stickymayhem wrote:

This would significantly lower the skill floor for melee combat.
That's kind of the point, closing to melee to use high stamina damage weapons or high force weapons, should be dangerous.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #572122

That would be pretty cool. Sometimes it’s nice to throw precision to the wind and just beat the tar out of your enemies.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #572148

Yeah that's a good idea. Have whether you hit be determined by position at time of click rather than pixel hunting when half the clicks don't register
Last edited by cacogen on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NSFW:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #572158

oranges wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:

That's kind of the point, closing to melee to use high stamina damage weapons or high force weapons, should be dangerous.
except now it would be also MORE dangerous for ranged users to go against melee, because ranged is unchanged in this proposition and hitting with melee will be easier
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #572165

Flatulent wrote:
oranges wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:

except now it would be also MORE dangerous for ranged users to go against melee, because ranged is unchanged in this proposition and hitting with melee will be easier
don't let the melee user get close when you outrange them then 4head
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #572169

Flatulent wrote:
oranges wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:

so run away
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #572170

add aim assist but only if you play with a controller
the monkey paw
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #572247

playing tg with a controller will get you kicked because of the weird inputs it produces.
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #572273

oranges wrote:playing tg with a controller will get you kicked because of the weird inputs it produces.
wait have people actually attempted this
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #572287

Maybe if you were that one kid nobody liked who had the controller with a keyboard on it, I could see that kind of working.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #572292

People have played byond with a controller connected, and they get disconnected from the server instantly because it looks like they're spamming malformed inputs.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #572294

oranges wrote:People have played byond with a controller connected, and they get disconnected from the server instantly because it looks like they're spamming malformed inputs.
even if it's not being used? I don't unplug my shit before playing but maybe it goes to sleep or something if I'm not putting inputs in it
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #572366

Flatulent wrote: except now it would be also MORE dangerous for ranged users to go against melee, because ranged is unchanged in this proposition and hitting with melee will be easier
Literally the main balancing principle between ranged and melee damage, if you're ranged don't get close.
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #572392

Screemonster wrote:
oranges wrote:People have played byond with a controller connected, and they get disconnected from the server instantly because it looks like they're spamming malformed inputs.
even if it's not being used? I don't unplug my shit before playing but maybe it goes to sleep or something if I'm not putting inputs in it
depends on the controller, but if you bump it you could well find yourself disconnected.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #572431

add controller support
NSFW:

Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #572585

I got no idea of how realistically possible it currently is to modify the combat system or to what degree it can be done, but I agree current system is shit and anything other than spam-m1 to win would be beneficial to the game, or at least more interesting.

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #572652

I don't like click spam based combat because of bad latency but interestingly when spamming clicks on something without click delay a bunch get through where usually it would be one or none. If click spam is inevitable then click delay could be eased back on to accommodate people who don't live close to the server.
NSFW:

MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #572670

Agux909 wrote:I got no idea of how realistically possible it currently is to modify the combat system or to what degree it can be done, but I agree current system is shit and anything other than spam-m1 to win would be beneficial to the game, or at least more interesting.
Don't worry about what's "possible". If this was a "real game", what would you expect?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #572675

Yeah man, I agree. That disarm rework and all that stuff just ain't enough. I'm getting input lag on US servers anyway, and hunting a shithead with my mouse while he sprints around like Usain Bolt is not only painstakingly frustrating, it's also highly unsuccessful, almost all the clicks I do make just don't get counted, and I have had this happen hundreds of times where I stand right next to a dude, I click on him, and nothing even fucking happens.

A swing based system with actual ranges alone would be a blessing, but if we made even one better by combining it with pixel-movement, we'd have a real combat system. Something along the lines of hotline miami, y'know.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information