Rename Engineering to Assistant+

General SS13 Chat
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Rename Engineering to Assistant+

Post by Omni » #572501

That's what it is now: Lets not kid ourselves, nobody fixes the station ever, and power generation is so trivial anyways, you can put two handfuls of cable on solars and nobody will notice difference for average shift duration. We can just kinda pretend fusion oven is not a thing, probably for the better tbh.
As things stand now, title of whole department is just misleading.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Re: Rename Engineering to Assistant+

Post by JusticeGoat » #572511

this feels more like a issue with the types of behavior we allow on the servers, its gone from low RP to no RP, i suggest we start clamping down on tiders and people who don't add value to the play experience of other players and send them to no rp servers that alredy exist.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #572513

JusticeGoat wrote:this feels more like a issue with the types of behavior we allow on the servers, its gone from low RP to no RP, i suggest we start clamping down on tiders and people who don't add value to the play experience of other players and send them to no rp servers that alredy exist.
A big issue is that the gameplay encourages this tiding behavior. There is really nothing for engineering to do, and what little they can do is often tedious and boring.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #572515

God bless engi repair mains, always have foam grenades, APC/airlock electronics, mats, an atmos fan, and tablet set to monitor air alarms. I enjoy reconstructing departments when they get bombed.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #572518

engis have no incentive to fix station outside of floor holes because shuttle will be called either way and it takes too long to do it for 0 rewards, fixing pipes only means you are helping plasmaflooding because air is never ever an issue
supermatter is a boolen for power production, it only exist to be sabotaged

only place that needs machinery built is medbay, but if medbay people havent upgraded their beds with operating tables and maybe more stasis beds it means they are newfags dufflebaggers that use level 1 tend wounds on a 600 damaged body so it wont make a difference
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #572519

This is a stupid thread.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #572520

>goons screaming and crying that "we should nerf assistant"
>tell them no because then the people who play it will take up important roles
>they do it anyways
>people who played assistant take up important roles
>"WTF WHY ARE IMPORTANT ROLES GREYTIDING"
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #572522

PKPenguin321 wrote:>goons screaming and crying that "we should nerf assistant"
>tell them no because then the people who play it will take up important roles
>they do it anyways
>people who played assistant take up important roles
>"WTF WHY ARE IMPORTANT ROLES GREYTIDING"
ok well wait until we do it
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #572564

I fix the station but I'm in the minority. Construction is tedious and finicky so it's no wonder people don't like doing it unless it's for a building project or something.
Coconutwarrior97 wrote:God bless engi repair mains, always have foam grenades, APC/airlock electronics, mats, an atmos fan, and tablet set to monitor air alarms. I enjoy reconstructing departments when they get bombed.
I do too but it takes a very long time (sometimes impossible depending on the size or amount of breaches) and I'm usually the only one doing it.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #572893

"the game is boring so I greytide" is a very silly take, no one is threatening you at gunpoint to play the game or that job. If you dont find it fun, you can

1. change jobs
2. code features/tweaks to current features that you would find mechanically interesting
3. not play

you dont have to choose "play but not have fun so much to the point that you can only have fun by inconveniencing other people trying to legitimately play the game". If you ever come to this conclusion you should consider that you might be burnt out.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #572894

Cobby wrote:"the game is boring so I greytide" is a very silly take, no one is threatening you at gunpoint to play the game or that job. If you dont find it fun, you can

1. change jobs
2. code features/tweaks to current features that you would find mechanically interesting
3. not play

you dont have to choose "play but not have fun so much to the point that you can only have fun by inconveniencing other people trying to legitimately play the game". If you ever come to this conclusion you should consider that you might be burnt out.
blessed post

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #572895

Coconutwarrior97 wrote:God bless engi repair mains, always have foam grenades, APC/airlock electronics, mats, an atmos fan, and tablet set to monitor air alarms. I enjoy reconstructing departments when they get bombed.
Bro you always monitor the sm, you’re embarrassing yourself.
[this space reserved]
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #572939

Who thought it was a good idea to remove roundstart RCD?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #572955

when the day comes i'm going to start maining captain and killing every tider who enters my office
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #573027

JusticeGoat wrote:i suggest we start clamping down on people who don't add value to the play experience of other players
“Entertain me or you are banned” - jannies in 2020
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #573029

saprasam wrote:when the day comes i'm going to start maining captain and killing every tider who enters my office
you can already do that
trespassers in captains are fair game
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #573062

Flatulent wrote:
JusticeGoat wrote:i suggest we start clamping down on people who don't add value to the play experience of other players
“Entertain me or you are banned” - jannies in 2020
yeah this is stupid
NSFW:

VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #573232

NoxVS wrote:
JusticeGoat wrote:this feels more like a issue with the types of behavior we allow on the servers, its gone from low RP to no RP, i suggest we start clamping down on tiders and people who don't add value to the play experience of other players and send them to no rp servers that alredy exist.
A big issue is that the gameplay encourages this tiding behavior. There is really nothing for engineering to do, and what little they can do is often tedious and boring.
Ok but like what kind of take is this? You have access to all the tools and construction materials in the game. If you have any intention of doing anything at all other than just griefing, you can do it as engineer. Want to set up a black market chem shop? Sure, grab the chem board and go to town. Want to set up a plasmaman lounge in the vacant office? You've definitely got the tools for that. Rage cage? Bet your ass.

If there's "nothing to do" then you wouldn't find anything to do in any role and you're clearly just out to start shit and should really just go take a break until your creativity returns. As far as departments with things to do go, engineering has plenty if you can think beyond just doing what the wiki tells you to. Hell look at Goonstation, they have the mechanic which has literally no job other than just doing stupid projects and that hardly ever turns into greytide.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #573362

Huh. And here I thought we got rid of the Hut.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #573365

Vekter wrote:Huh. And here I thought we got rid of the Hut.
Wow never heard that before!!! What's that?? You disagree with me???? Well hey bud the hut's that way!!! This isn't the hut chief!!! Shitposts belong in the hut my dude!!!! They're has nevar bean even 1 (one) (1) shitpost outside of THE HUT and their never will be again, and your post is shit buckaroo so you better not post it in here!!!1!
Spoiler:
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #573383

Vekter wrote:Huh. And here I thought we got rid of the Hut.
not enough rp in general chat for your tastes?
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #573432

We can't discuss things = no drama that's how that works right???
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #573466

so many people triggered by vekter lmao
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #573471

oranges wrote:so many people triggered by vekter lmao
help i dont know what asiht post is?
Spoiler:
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #573494

oranges wrote:so many people triggered by vekter lmao
vekter is an internet roomba that bans everything it bumps into
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #573592

and it's rent free?? What's the catch?

Oh, it's in HIS head... I think i'll look at all my options...
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #573602

naturally there are no soy lattes nearby
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #574458

If there's "nothing to do" then you wouldn't find anything to do in any role and you're clearly just out to start shit and should really just go take a break until your creativity returns. As far as departments with things to do go, engineering has plenty if you can think beyond just doing what the wiki tells you to. Hell look at Goonstation, they have the mechanic which has literally no job other than just doing stupid projects and that hardly ever turns into greytide.
These are all cute and fun, but they are gimmicks. The point I was actually trying to make was that engineers (barring atmosians) have two tasks: keeping station powered and keeping station repaired/in usable state. None of these is very appealing to anyone at the moment and both are kinda fucked.
Power has always been imbalanced and fucked all around and some engines were not there to generate power but were more of weapons of mass destruction. But in attempt to prepare grounds for fixing that (or I think that's what was done) it brought us where we are now: SM is almost risk free, deprived of any danger aspect to it. It was very safe and robust engine even when special delams were a thing (It was basically impossible to find someone dumb enough to cause tesloose/singulodelam not on purpose, cause conditions were rather specific), and now not even that is a thing. Not even antagonists try to sabotage SM anymore, because it serves literally no purpose other than mildly inconveniencing someone cause explosion might sometimes damage some hallway. Oh and producing trace amounts of trit that gets instantly sucked out into space? Thanks I guess? Not to mention all kinds of removed/nerfed gas interactions- remember when SM actually generated rads around the place and was somewhaat dangerous to handle?
Irony is that despite all of that SM is still not even necessary- solars can handle station for average shift duration perfectly fine anyways, so what's the point?
A lot of things were said about repairing station in the thread, and I mostly agree. (thanks to whoever murdered RCD, thanks a million), but I believe the primal cause to be server culture: we play round for circa twenty minutes-half an hour, get all the valids, call it, reroll the valids, repeat. Or we play the round for half an hour and get round ended by nukies/blob/cult. That's how I see majority of the rounds go, and this is set up that makes any kind of repair work completely unnecessary.
You can't excuse the state of engineering with "but muh gimmicks" and "but just don't tide bro it's that simple!" when there are two main tasks it's supposed to do and both of them are inane and lame.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #574572

Spoiler:
Cobby wrote:Image

and it's rent free?? What's the catch?

Oh, it's in HIS head... I think i'll look at all my options...
the inside of flatulent's mind is beautiful
Last edited by cacogen on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #574675

the agent did a good job decorating it
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #575364

Omni wrote:
These are all cute and fun, but they are gimmicks. The point I was actually trying to make was that engineers (barring atmosians) have two tasks: keeping station powered and keeping station repaired/in usable state. None of these is very appealing to anyone at the moment and both are kinda fucked.
Power has always been imbalanced and fucked all around and some engines were not there to generate power but were more of weapons of mass destruction. But in attempt to prepare grounds for fixing that (or I think that's what was done) it brought us where we are now: SM is almost risk free, deprived of any danger aspect to it. It was very safe and robust engine even when special delams were a thing (It was basically impossible to find someone dumb enough to cause tesloose/singulodelam not on purpose, cause conditions were rather specific), and now not even that is a thing. Not even antagonists try to sabotage SM anymore, because it serves literally no purpose other than mildly inconveniencing someone cause explosion might sometimes damage some hallway. Oh and producing trace amounts of trit that gets instantly sucked out into space? Thanks I guess? Not to mention all kinds of removed/nerfed gas interactions- remember when SM actually generated rads around the place and was somewhaat dangerous to handle?
Irony is that despite all of that SM is still not even necessary- solars can handle station for average shift duration perfectly fine anyways, so what's the point?
A lot of things were said about repairing station in the thread, and I mostly agree. (thanks to whoever murdered RCD, thanks a million), but I believe the primal cause to be server culture: we play round for circa twenty minutes-half an hour, get all the valids, call it, reroll the valids, repeat. Or we play the round for half an hour and get round ended by nukies/blob/cult. That's how I see majority of the rounds go, and this is set up that makes any kind of repair work completely unnecessary.
You can't excuse the state of engineering with "but muh gimmicks" and "but just don't tide bro it's that simple!" when there are two main tasks it's supposed to do and both of them are inane and lame.
What job does anyone have that's necessary besides medbay? There's enough food that the chef isn't needed, same with botany. Bartender's a meme RP job. Viro is very rarely if ever needed. R&D could literally build an R&D console in the hall and go AFK (or just let the engies build one like they always do). Genetics isn't needed either and mostly just gives tiders hulk. Janitor is mostly a meme job. Curator is entirely a meme RP job, same with chaplain outside of cult rounds (or validhunter chap).

Point is there are very few jobs that actually necessary for the station to work. But, if you have ideas for how to make engineering more interesting and engaging, without making it so they can't build gimmick shit anymore, I'm all ears and if it's good I might even try and c*de it.