Forbid low pop murderbone

Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Forbid low pop murderbone

Post by Fatal » #569832

Bottom post of the previous page:

Alright, here we go again

I know this has been brought up many times in the past but, I will explain why I feel the need to bring it up again

Since the summer ball killed off the event hall population, event hall is often on single digit pop numbers, or thereabouts, players who see this in the hub, rather than joining the large population servers, might join it to learn the game a little, or just want a quieter round but don't want to play on Manuel

A few times in the last few days, traitors have gone full murderbone from the second the round starts and within 5-10 minutes the entire crew is dead, outright killing the server population even more because these players are mostly quitting the game or joining another server

As a result of this, I propose making murderbone forbidden when the pop is roughly 10 or less, killing a handful of unarmed crew isn't particularly engaging gameplay for anyone, and if you want to murderbone, there are more populated servers to do it on where you actually have some opposition
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: Forbid low pop murderbone

Post by cacogen » #572434

FloranOtten wrote:
instead of that have a higher level threat such as a deathsquad spawn and let them bask in glory if they overcome that too. Challenge antags with escalating levels of threat provided by dead players.
"I know how we can reduce low pop murderbone, let's reward those that do it!"
Is it a reward when more cops come in GTA? No. It isn't. The game is funner with a trainer so you can turn cops off or turn on invulnerability so they can't ruin your fun blowing up cars and killing everyone. Is it bad for victims of murderboners to get back into the round with a chance for revenge as an OP role instead of merely sitting and observing their killer for 20 minutes? It's like I'm speaking another language.
Cobby wrote:Then don’t murderbone
I have terrible latency and don't know the meta anymore anyway. But people have enjoyed it for time eternal and rather than punishing people for having fun good game design compensates for it. It seems to me your design decisions as a coder and maintainer seem driven mostly by spite and a need to force players to do what you want them to, without thought for incentivising it, what players want or what's fun to do.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #572977

you know nobody listens to you right cacogen?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #572993

Actually: who cares if people "listen to" me? I'm here to share my opinions about the game and learn from other people. I don't expect to change anything just by posting.
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #573036

Yes I carry a different opinion than the “if one person is having fun, even if it makes literally everyone else on the game not have fun, that fun must be protected” one. If that makes me spiteful then ok.

I don’t usually play low pop, not sure how I’m doing this out of spite although I’ve seen the effects of a low pop murderbone before I myself disconnected. I do like how you managed to take an admin issue and spin it to soap box about your views about me from a code perspective though.

What’s next, are you going to suggest that because I’m not incentivizing a nonantag with antagonistic opportunities that I’m being spiteful for wanting him banned when he kills off the crew? Antags exist to improve the game, you are objectively not doing that when you go from a 15 player server to 0-3 because of your actions.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #573061

Yes I carry a different opinion than the “if one person is having fun, even if it makes literally everyone else on the game not have fun, that fun must be protected” one. If that makes me spiteful then ok.
I don't think that. I think the game should "yes, and" it by spawning the dead players as ghost roles like ERT or deathsquad to oppose them. If taking their equipment as a reward is an issue that could be easily fixed in code. There's somewhat of a precedent with nuke squads. But you'd think by spawning enough of an opposition one person with their gear wouldn't matter.

I shouldn't have called you spiteful. In future I will try to focus less on the people involved and more on points of disagreement.
NSFW:

FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #574638

An ERT call will be seen as a reward. There's a good reason many games unlock a challange mode as a reward. When you're already murderboning for the challange, adding more challenge is damn good. Besides, you're just spawning in the guys that couldn't beat him again.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #574645

You can't even blame the headmins for dodging this one
[this space reserved]
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #574824

In GTA V and RDR2 it just spawns law enforcement until the player is forced to flee or die. While wildly different games, I don't see why the same principle couldn't apply here. Waves of enemies sent to stop the murderbonerer, player by dead players. Murderboner victims get to play again instead of having to watch from the sidelines for half an hour. The murderbonerer gets an actual challenge instead of being able to pick off innocent crew with impunity. It discourages murderbonering because it's harder to get away with. It isn't a no fun allowed administrative band-aid to a balance issue.
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #574831

Playing the role of cannon fodder for the murderboner when you wanted to try to explore the job isnt very enticing, and "well at least you arent observing" isnt exactly a sell when the alternative is people dont have to indiscriminately kill so you're not having to make this decision in the first place. Yeah you arent a ghost but you arent able to work on anything except dancing to the murderboner's tune either.

Considering we are talking about lowpop, this also means you are probably getting drip fed baddies (goodies?) instead of a normal pop fight where people are quick to collapse on you and you could very easily find yourself being swarmed.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #576940

In general we’d ask admins to use their tools to speed the round along in isolated cases. However, if a player is repeatedly ruining rounds by murderboning on lowpop having a chat with them and a note is fine.
If it continues bans may come into effect.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes, for edge cases when someone is consistently making the game less fun for people administrative action is fine.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.