Where does "stenography" come from?

General SS13 Chat
Quey

Where does "stenography" come from?

Post by Quey » #5248

This isn't to discuss the merits of anything. I just want to know how the usage of the word "stenography" came to mean talking about something you're not involved in, i.e., kibitzing or gossiping. As far as I'm aware, the only definition of stenography is shorthand written transcription of speech. Anyone know how this came about?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Where does "stenography" come from?

Post by paprika » #5258

I don't know steno used to be called peanut gallery and it was a much better name
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #5314

Usually "shitposts" are no more than a sentence. So it was probably a joke based on that.
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #5347

Brotemius renamed it IIRC
just play on /vg/station, go have fun for christs sake
JokerNotBatman

Post by JokerNotBatman » #5411

Well, the stenographer in a court of law (at least in Ireland, no idea about murrica/rest of yurop) is basically another word for the court typist afaik. Thus, the steno name could be based on the fact that it's meant to be an ongoing discussion and account of the "trial", or ban appeal/request.
Quey

Post by Quey » #5549

Peanut gallery makes a lot more sense. I can kinda see the courtroom connection, but it still doesn't make sense why stenography was chosen. If anything, the gallery is a better parallel to what goes on there (hence peanut gallery). The stenographer is really an incidental observer and recorder, and really isn't thought of in the sense of judging either side, commenting about the case, or voicing opinions. Real stenographers I've met in the US aren't allowed to talk about the trial while it's going on, ESPECIALLY with jurors. So I thought it was interesting. If Brotemis did name it, I'd like to hear from him.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #5732

Steganography means to hide a message within another message. I think that might have been the intention?

So it could have been a rather clever name for a time when everyone was passive aggressively suggesting that certain admins should be removed with pretty much everything that happened, although not so often super obviously to avoid being deleted and called a troll. Many posts had a subtext of hatred towards the admins despite being completely unrelated to them.
Spoiler:
Let me have my wild theories.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #5757

Erro named the board on the oldforums stenography. Before it was called the peanut gallery.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?