Abductors and memory loss.

annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Abductors and memory loss.

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #573652

The other memory loss thread got me thinking about this.

Currently, whenever somebody who was abducted gets teleported back to the station, they are shown:
You can't remember how you got here...
Is this intended to be followed or not? I've ahelped this in the past and just got "I'm not sure" or "nah".
As an abductee are you expected to not immediately scream "ABDUCTORS!!!!" over comms and sprint to medbay to get your implant removed?
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Re: Abductors and memory loss.

Post by Sylphet » #573655

You can't remember how you got here - means you can't remember how you got there. It's definitely meant to be followed, or it wouldn't be there. The text should probably be changed to be as clear as the derelict drone text if this isn't good enough.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #573656

to be honest, seems like it needs to be updated to support policy config if it doesn't already. And if it does, it could use clarification.
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #573659

It is currently not config.
Were the headmins to decree that it should be I'd be willing to PR it.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #573760

I tried to make is as big and red as i could to convey its importance, it is indeed meant to be followed. I couldn't find a more unambiguous way to say "this text is not for flavor, it's an actual rule".
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #573763

I treat it as if when abductors aren’t called out you can’t call them out
If you knew there are abductors beforehand you can “””deduce””” that they were the ones that fucked you up
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #573767

Flatulent wrote:I treat it as if when abductors aren’t called out you can’t call them out
If you knew there are abductors beforehand you can “””deduce””” that they were the ones that fucked you up
That's probably ok, but i'd add that you shouldn't be "aware" of the gland inside you unless someone else tells you about it. Without that, people could beeline to surgery as soon as they wake up and prevent interesting interactions with the gland itself as well as the abductor mind control devices.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #573900

does every ingame feedback need to be followed by a disclaimer that it's meant to be followed?

If it doesn't suggest choice, you should be expected to follow it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #574680

XDTM wrote:
Flatulent wrote:I treat it as if when abductors aren’t called out you can’t call them out
That's probably ok, but i'd add that you shouldn't be "aware" of the gland inside you unless someone else tells you about it. Without that, people could beeline to surgery as soon as they wake up and prevent interesting interactions with the gland itself as well as the abductor mind control devices.
Someone's called out abductors, and I've woken up in a random place with no idea how I got there. -> Abductors mindwipe people when they return them to the station, so I was probably abducted (especially if I have a brain trauma that I don't remember getting). -> Abductors implant their abductees with glands, which means I probably have a gland as well. If strange things that I don't like start happening around me, then the gland probably isn't beneficial, and I should get it removed/replaced with a normal (or cybernetic) heart.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable line of logic to me.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #574693

ATHATH wrote:
XDTM wrote:
Someone's called out abductors, and I've woken up in a random place with no idea how I got there. -> Abductors mindwipe people when they return them to the station, so I was probably abducted (especially if I have a brain trauma that I don't remember getting). -> Abductors implant their abductees with glands, which means I probably have a gland as well. If strange things that I don't like start happening around me, then the gland probably isn't beneficial, and I should get it removed/replaced with a normal (or cybernetic) heart.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable line of logic to me.
My reasoning comes from a gameplay perspective; if people don't rip out their glands immediately, there's more variety and chance for shenanigans during the round.

That said, it wouldn't be hard for abductors to implement some thought redirections along with the memory loss, especially since it's established that the procedure causes brain traumas. Just in the same way that a real-life mental illness cannot be logicked away, victims could simply be unable to make the connection between waking up in a random place and having being abducted/having a gland unless they're directly informed.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #574832

It should just say "why did I come here again?" to suggest you walked there but can't remember why so you you cannot mental maneuver your way to immediately ruin any chance of a glands manifesting.

darn autocorrect
Last edited by Cobby on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #574857

I don't think the linchpin of this general topic should be "how can I feasibly lawyer my way into speedrunning the removal of my implants and blow the ayyy's cover after abduction", but I'm not surprised it has taken a turn in that direction.
I think once you are caught by abductors and returned, you should become akin to a very mild team antagonist, and you should make an effort to have fun and go with it, especially if you were brainwashed.
if people don't rip out their glands immediately, there's more variety and chance for shenanigans during the round.
Exactly.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #576941

Yes you have memory loss so you shouldn’t be screaming “ABDUCTORS!!” as soon as you get back station side. Additionally you shouldn’t be trying to make excuses to justify gunning it to surgery to get a gland removed, an abductor abducted you, experimented on you, now you have to play the role.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.