Talk about video games here
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Re: final fantasy xiv general

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #561732

Bottom post of the previous page:

Timbrewolf wrote: Tanks:
You'll only get to choose between WAR and PLD. Both are very good so you can't go wrong. You might have more fun with WAR though, PLD doesn't start getting its FUN stuff until like 60+

Pretty much true, all 4 tanks preform very similarly. Main difference is in their invulns (pld has the best and drk had the worst) but they're all good overall.

Healer:
WHM is the best solo healer and good for prog. SCH is arguably better for speedruns. I prefer WHM because I fucking hate pet classes. Can't really go wrong here.

Depends what you mean by solo heal, best one for savage stuff is astro atm. But yes out of sch or whm, whm has the easier time at low levels
The main difference in the healers is their complexity and how much stuff you have to juggle and decisions you have to make. Whm is reactionary mostly. So you see someone get hit and heal them up. Sch you need to prep a bit or make decisions ahead of time as all your good heals require resources you could also use for mana/dps. So there a lot more "should I hold onto this stack to move with energy drain or does the tank need the heal to stay alive?" Ast is in between the two but with the card minigame added on.
Also Sch isnt much of a pet class anymore. You can largely park it in the middle of the fight and ignore its existance. It does have some annoying quirks stemming from the fact it's a pet though, like using skills at the wrong time cause them to go on cd with no effect. It's avoidable though. Currently in speedrun stuffs the meta is astro/whm or astro/sch. Although in non-speedrun stuff nobody cares (they often want a whm with drk though because their invuln is stupid)

Melee DPS:
MNK job satisfaction got polled as the lowest in the game across all players. So yeah avoid that? DRG is still really sought-after in end-game raiding groups because of its party-wide crit boosting ability. Prepare to die and be laughed at a lot though. FLOOR TANK. NIN makes you Naruto run and every NIN player begs for an option to turn that off while every non-NIN player laughs at you and hopes they never change a fuckin' thing.

Monk is still fine, don't be too scared off by that poll if you like the punchy monk theme. Monk basically has a bunch of positionals (has to flank the boss to the sides or back while executing certain attacks to do the most damage) so theres a lot of movement throughout the fight to optimize damage. Basically you need to put in more work for the same damage, but its worth trying out, you never know if youll really like it!
Drg is good for raid groups, as is nin (all are fine though really). Drg mostly has that reputation as a meme these dsys. They used to die to raid wides easier than everyone else (iirc) until stats were changed. That plus the animation lock on the jumps often get them killed

Non-Melee DPS:
BLM is one of the only jobs that has a lot of fun mechanics pre-50. The rotation is very simple but it SLAPS. SMN is very good too. BRD gets a spot in a lot of end-game static parties and you can toot starting at level 30. Its actual DPS output needs a buff tho.

Blm is neat, and changes a fair bit as you level. Its definitely one of the classes that gets the most love from the devs. Summoner is similar to sch in that its only kinda a pet class by the end. As you level you get stances that replace or delete the pet for a bit, so you don't have to manage it much. Although it has similar skill eating issues to sch. It's also the top dps in the current raid tier if that matters to you

Brd is actually rather unpopular these days for end game groups (you could still easily find one, i just mean bards aren't common) mostly because they got their support-y ranged dps niche stolen in 5.0 by dancer. Brd is still fine, although it has a lot of button mashing so be prepared for hurt fingers
Anyway
Some random tips to help you out:
Dont keep old gear, you can turn in dungeon gear to your gc if you really want but your inventory fills up quick if you horde things. You can put things you visually like into the glamour dresser in an inn room to use in outfits later

The npcs with blue quest markers unlock something, yellow ones are mostly just for flavour and dont really give much exp

Try legacy controls in the settings, it makes movement character based rather than camera based and lets you run backwards/turn around if you press s instead of slowly shuffling back while facing forward

If you have a fast computer getting to the Waking Sands is quicker via limsa ->arcanists guild->boat to vesper bay rather than through horizon

Crafting is fairly interesting and worth checking out

Doing the hall of the novice tutorial things gives a decent set of lvl 15 gear (that looks nice) and a ring that boosts exp gain

If you ever want to do trials/raids labeled "minstrels ballad" "Savage", "extreme" or "binding coil..." don't use the duty finder or youll wait like 36 hours to fill. People use the party finder (pf) for those sorta things as they require more coordination than randoms tend to be able to handle

If your queue times are too long as a dps try to get a healer friend or tank friend to join you, makes the queue instant usually

Don't forget to do your job quests, as there are a bunch of skills locked behind the lower level ones
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #561760

^^^^^ all good advice

The crafting and gathering stuff in this game is *chef kiss*

It's a whole game unto itself and the different crafting jobs are dependent on eachother for pieces and parts.
You don't just kill a lizard for 3 pieces of leather and then click a button and watch a progress bar turn them into a pair of boots.

You gotta gather that hide, tan it to make it usable with a reagent from an Alchemist
You might need some yarn of some sort to tie it all together, which a Weaver can spin from bolls
And then finally some rubber for the sole, which your Alchemist can make from latex (or you just buy it cheap from the supply vendor fuck that)

Then you actually have to play the crafting minigame to put it all together and try to get your chance of a High-Quality craft up so it's a really good pair of boots with bonus stats.

It might sound tedious, and in some ways it kinda is, but it feels really fucking good when you're picking all these choices pieces and parts out of your dragon's horde of random mats to forge together into some cool piece of glam or bettering your gear.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #561791

To be fair the crafting minigame is pretty simple

The high quality crafts on Ishgard stuff were the first time in a long while you've had to actually be challenged by that minigame.
Qbopper wrote:progged a savage raid for the first time

ari be like [misses the button as OT]
rude
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #564547

finished shb yesterday (not post patch)
stupid game made me cry. i also got 2b's ass today so i'm ready to admit glam is the true endgame
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #564610

my free sub ran out so now i got a level 30 or 31 dragoon but no playtime :(
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #564636

terranaut wrote:my free sub ran out so now i got a level 30 or 31 dragoon but no playtime :(
hey at least if you resub in a month or so ARR content is going to get an overhaul
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #565910

yeah i cant wati to see how good the streamlining is so I can actually recommend this game to people
Limey wrote:its too late.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #573404

been playing the fuck out of this since the patch dropped

the streamlining of ARR isn't as extreme as i'd hoped but it's a step in the right direction

the new content is amazing
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #573804

Qbopper wrote:the streamlining of ARR isn't as extreme as i'd hoped but it's a step in the right direction
same
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #573831

If nobody has made one yet, we should make a cross world linkshell for people, I know there's a fair amount of us who play on here
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #573836

WE FALL
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #573837

Ive been leveling an alt a bit and they did streamline it a good amount
Probably cut like 20-30 hours out of the base game and 2.x patches
It's still pretty long and there are a couple questionable quests left but cutting much more would require reworking the flow and plot of the story in the base game unfortunately

Flying also makes post Ultima much more bearable now, especially coerthas, where I think a lot of people quit
Instead of having to slowly ride to snowcloak and back 10 times taking several minutes each time you just fly there in like 10 seconds
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #573904

Patch was nice, good story content
Did pretty much everything I cared to do and sub ran out, so I'm back to waiting
New savage tier next patch I guess. Even if I don't commit to raiding it exists and is content
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #573938

On mobile so I'm too lazy to quote but yeah on second thought I think the addition of flying in ARR would help the post patch quests feel a little less tedious
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #574024

I'm just glad they didn't rip my heart out again

I enjoyed the hell out of it.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Fatal
In-Game Admin

Post by Fatal » #574197

Alright for anyone on the aether data center we made a cross world linkshell, I did think it could be across any world but I was sadly wrong

Just ask in here / discord if you want an invite
HommandoSA
Byond Username: HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #574231

Invite to secret club please.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #574537

Fatal wrote:Alright for anyone on the aether data center we made a cross world linkshell, I did think it could be across any world but I was sadly wrong

hope i remember this if i decide to buy a sub again
how many people are playing
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #574794

terranaut wrote:how many people are playing
a lot more than I expected
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #575420

2020-09-07_20-56-23_Maya Happiness Gameplay.png
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #577091

Just got back into it after not playing since the third turn of Alexander released way back. Switched from DRG to RDM and am enjoying it.
Fatal wrote:Alright for anyone on the aether data center we made a cross world linkshell, I did think it could be across any world but I was sadly wrong

invite me NOW

Teya Frost, Sargatanas.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Fatal
In-Game Admin

Post by Fatal » #577096

It's a pain to invite people because I have to actually join your world server to do it whilst you are online

easiest way to get an invite is to just DM me on discord when you are on the game
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #577208

desperately wish we'd get a ffxiv-2 that is the same game but not on an engine with a decade of awful technical debt

if you need a prime example of how this game is a dumpster fire on the backend, look at the social features
XSI

Post by XSI » #577211

It's often a dumpster fire in the frontend too
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #577276

The website account UI looks like logging into your modem
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #578180

I'm going to beat the unending coil...
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #578919

I beat the unending coil today

a correct post by pillz
XSI

Post by XSI » #578923

Congratulations
Sounds hard
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #579002

Yeah, it was a 17 minute fight and you get maybe 2 mistakes before a wipe. Now that I have <<The Legend>> floating by my name I get roasted for any death.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #579724

I beat the epic of alexander today
Last edited by DrPillzRedux on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #581323

lol really dude

a correct post by pillz
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #581869

do any of you play tank much
how often should i be using upheaval? i can't seem to fit it very neatly in my opener
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #581870

Plapatin wrote:do any of you play tank much
how often should i be using upheaval? i can't seem to fit it very neatly in my opener
literally use it on cooldown, once you hit 70 you don't need to worry about building gauge since you can just pop inner release after getting your damage buff from your first 3 hits
t. tank main
XSI

Post by XSI » #581889

Tank main
Not warrior though, so general advice-

Use your damage-skills essentially as soon as they get off cooldown
Use mitigation when pulling big in dungeons or to stop tankbusters from making your healer cry in raids. Don't pop it all at once either, one is usually enough. Maybe two if it's current content tankbusters and your gear is bad(Or some dungeons where you can pull everything).
Figure out what rotation works well for your class and try to get the muscle memory for it on normal mode raids, practice dummies and whatever other content you do
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #582021

Tank main
Play DRK
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #589619

remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #589636

WE WAITED SO LONG PLDBROS
HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #589804

I'm looking forward to the AST changes, Shadowbringers got a lot right but it got AST very very wrong. I did not enjoy the new card system and I hope they make it more interesting in Endwalker.
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #589860

i woke up from my death to say my dick is on fire i want to be sage so bad Please
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #592755

ive jumped off the stage in every fight i can
am i playing DRG right?
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #592964

wubli wrote:i woke up from my death to say my dick is on fire i want to be sage so bad Please
same lol
chesse20
Byond Username: Laserdog

Post by chesse20 » #593393

why would people play final fantasy xiv over final fantasy xi private servers do people just love paying square enix money for a worse game
iksyp

Post by iksyp » #593456

chesse20 wrote:why would people play final fantasy xiv over final fantasy xi private servers do people just love paying square enix money for a worse game
i can't genocide raths in XI
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #596076

I solo'd PotD twice.

a correct post by pillz
HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #596224

Keep your masochistic fetishes to yourself.
Spoiler:
I want that title so bad.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #600805

going to become a drg main for 6.0 so i can micspam whalers on the moon
XSI

Post by XSI » #600935

Get yourself a whaling glam to go with it
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #602601

moons haunted
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #602621

casey anthony
Last edited by cacogen on Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

IkeTG

Re: i do not care for this game but i'm going to post anyway

Post by IkeTG » #602716

ThanatosRa wrote:moons haunted
moon hub or riot
iksyp

Post by iksyp » #606970