True blindness during unconsciousness

A place to record your ideas for the game.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

True blindness during unconsciousness

Post by XDTM » #573779

The blindness status currently still lets you see more or less one tile around you. This is fine for people who are moving around and still need to interact with the game, since there's no other substitute for tactile feedback and interaction requires clicking the target.

During unconsciousness, though, such adjustments aren't necessary and in my opinion detract a lot from the roleplay experience.

If you're drugged unconscious or put into crit, you can tell where you're being dragged by following the floor; you can tell who is interacting with you and how, more or less. When you wake up, you won't be asking where you are or what happened to you.
This effectively prevents a lot of gimmicks or interesting interactions. An antagonist doctor might have a dastardly plan to drug a random passerby, drag them to the surgery room, implant a bomb in them, and them dump them in the dorms none the wiser, but it's pointless if the target could see the whole itinerary.
With complete blindness, anyone waking up from crit/knockout would have to take stock of their surroudings and figure out what went down while they were unconscious, and sometimes what they see might lead them to the wrong conclusions! Maybe the borg near them had been dragging them to safety, but the AI was still rogue before they were knocked out, and they might assume it was trying to finish the job.

The obvious downside, however, is that for the blinded player it would effectively be a period with no input whatsoever and no indication on how much it could last. Personally i feel like it'd be worth it, but i'd also like to find out a good way to avoid causing boredom without compromising secrecy and disorientation.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: True blindness during unconsciousness

Post by Stickymayhem » #573783

I actually love this idea I wonder why it was never implemented. It does offer a huge amount in terms of interesting situations.

I'd love to get in dumb fights and wake up somewhere unexpected.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #573790

Last edited by Jack7D1 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #573794

just have "true blindness" a different plane that can only be get when in deep crit or sleeping
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #573795

Code-wise it should be fairly simple, putting it on a high layer would prevent those issues. I mostly posted this to gauge opinions and side effects i didn't consider
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

Post by Space Panda » #573806

This is a good idea. :donut2:
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #573813

Yeah, this looks like a great idea. I'd love to see this in game !
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #573838

Yes we can finally add dreams
[this space reserved]
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #573844

This is one of the better ideas I've seen on here. Yes please!
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #574304

lets compromise and make the crit 0 range instead of 1 rather than complete black screen? Basically you'll only be able to see your character and things that are REALLY (on top) close to you

Im for making it more difficult to use crit info on a mechanical level, but I don't want crit to be something where you can't even discern if you are just not being healed or the game is frozen lol.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #574310

We had it and then errorage made crit last 5 minutes instead of 20 seconds and I think at the same time he added the different screen overlays including the pinhole around your character when you're unconscious. I don't think it's a good idea to get rid of it. Perhaps reducing it like Cobby says to reduce what you can glean from it by hovering your mouse pointer over things would be a good compromise. I don't know if it's actually worth 'fixing' though.
wesoda25 wrote:Yes we can finally add dreams
The text in the chatbox you get while unconscious are snippets of dreams, if you didn't realise. We should add a dream world in the vein of VR for metacomms while you're spending 5 minutes looking at a black screen.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #574311

cacogen wrote:We should add a dream world in the vein of VR for metacomms while you're spending 5 minutes looking at a black screen.
VR was removed because it was too difficult to isolate it from everything else, and it was thus extremely buggy/exploitable for how little legitimate use it got. Making it dream-themed would fix neither issue.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #574313

Yeah I wasn't serious admins wouldn't want to administrate it to prevent people from metagaming even if it worked codewise
NSFW:

Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #574316

What if you had drone static vision while unconscious, so you could still kinda make out people around you, but you'd have no clue who was who
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #574346

Robbing someone while they are in crit, and the second they get up they fight you for their stuff when you're off on the other side of the room doing something else is my biggest pet peeve. Bitch you were asleep and no-one told you I took your ID. Fuck off.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #574354

Bro don't steal my ID cuz
NSFW:

Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #574368

Nabski wrote:Robbing someone while they are in crit, and the second they get up they fight you for their stuff when you're off on the other side of the room doing something else is my biggest pet peeve. Bitch you were asleep and no-one told you I took your ID. Fuck off.
Bruh, the consensus is that at the moment anything you see while not dead is canon. True blindness good - anything that removes names and the ability to see exactly whats up is good tbf.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #574383

Istoprocent1 wrote:
Nabski wrote:Robbing someone while they are in crit, and the second they get up they fight you for their stuff when you're off on the other side of the room doing something else is my biggest pet peeve. Bitch you were asleep and no-one told you I took your ID. Fuck off.
Bruh, the consensus is that at the moment anything you see while not dead is canon. True blindness good - anything that removes names and the ability to see exactly whats up is good tbf.
I know that that's the ruling, but I don't have to like it.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #574394

Not a big fan of that either, which is why I think removing the player's ability to make sense of their surrounding when they are out of it IC is a good idea.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #574454

Even reducing to range 0 will still let you know whether and where you're being moved, which is a fairly big amount of info. Plus, with my example, you could see yourself on a surgery table and know something was done to you.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #574475

SpaceManiac wrote:
cacogen wrote:We should add a dream world in the vein of VR for metacomms while you're spending 5 minutes looking at a black screen.
VR was removed because it was too difficult to isolate it from everything else, and it was thus extremely buggy/exploitable for how little legitimate use it got. Making it dream-themed would fix neither issue.
Some of my best events ever used VR. Those rounds did tend to have more crashes though.

I miss VR so bad
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman