A mining replacement

A place to record your ideas for the game.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

A mining replacement

Post by NoxVS » #574616

There are a fuckton of issues with mining, and it seems like no one is happy with the position it is in.

You have a dull, tedious, unchanging job that is balanced out by getting gamer gear. Miners are given instant "mine everything" buttons because mining with a pickaxe or PKA is so mind numbingly boring that its a punishment used by security

If you slow it down, remove the gamer gear, it becomes a boring job no one wants to do but is necessary for the station

If you speed it up, add gamer gear, you have a problem with someone becoming a god after spending 5 minutes on lavaland

So heres a simple solution I could probably add more depth to but I am too lazy - Axe mining entirely, engineering gets a new job and finally has stuff to do in the form of automated drones. These drones are constructed and programmed on station and then sent out into space where they "mine" ores and bring it back. You can easily make a working program that does its job or spend more time on it to optimize it and get more ores. I can't really come up with more specific details, people can expand upon this idea more if they want

Lavaland can be changed to focus entirely on fighting megafauna, it can get yeeted from existence, whatever the fuck you think is best
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: A mining replacement

Post by wesoda25 » #574637

I feel as if that would end in someone pioneering a program, and a rare responsible engineer copy pasting it at the start of the round, while most engineers don’t bother. Doesn’t seem much better than clicking rocks.
[this space reserved]
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #574642

wesoda25 wrote:I feel as if that would end in someone pioneering a program, and a rare responsible engineer copy pasting it at the start of the round, while most engineers don’t bother. Doesn’t seem much better than clicking rocks.
Ideally it would probably vary from round to round so you can't just copy paste something for maximum effect. Being closer to nanites than circuits in design would probably also help
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #574711

NoxVS wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:I feel as if that would end in someone pioneering a program, and a rare responsible engineer copy pasting it at the start of the round, while most engineers don’t bother. Doesn’t seem much better than clicking rocks.
Ideally it would probably vary from round to round so you can't just copy paste something for maximum effect. Being closer to nanites than circuits in design would probably also help
That's a good mindset, I'm just not sure how to achieve that target.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #574712

Skip the space part. Skip the programming part. If science wants their materials, it puts it on their shoulders:

Keep it simple like cleanbots or floorbots. Put some beacons on lavaland they can dig towards/explore around. You send the bot to lavaland and it simply seeks out rocks. Breaks rocks. Once it is full of ore, it returns to the lavaland base where it drops them off.

It has components that affect:
-Movement Speed
-Mining Speed
-Ore Storage

Robotics builds them and sends them to lavaland via pod or something.

Additionally they are programmed to
A) Avoid all fauna (keep X distance)
B) Avoid Lava and Chasms
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #574736

Bring back circuitry this thread fills me with tears
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #574772

Ziiro wrote:Skip the space part. Skip the programming part. If science wants their materials, it puts it on their shoulders:

Keep it simple like cleanbots or floorbots. Put some beacons on lavaland they can dig towards/explore around. You send the bot to lavaland and it simply seeks out rocks. Breaks rocks. Once it is full of ore, it returns to the lavaland base where it drops them off.

It has components that affect:
-Movement Speed
-Mining Speed
-Ore Storage

Robotics builds them and sends them to lavaland via pod or something.

Additionally they are programmed to
A) Avoid all fauna (keep X distance)
B) Avoid Lava and Chasms
I was more thinking engineering because robotics and science have plenty to do, while engineering does one thing and then fucks off for the rest of the round.
And if it replaces mining then there isn't really any reason to have it on lavaland if it ignores all threats anyways