Tie money into a spawn mechanic and basically invent a whole new game

A place to record your ideas for the game.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Tie money into a spawn mechanic and basically invent a whole new game

Post by BONERMASTER » #575121

I've been reading over some economic shit, and I thought about this game, specifically about how money doesn't really hold value at this stage. What you can buy with money, is in large parts available for free in the auto/protolathe, the rest ain't that important or interesting.

The question is, what do players care about, that we can put a price on it? And I've concluded, it's killing the shit out of other players, and it's staying alive. Here is a quick proposal to marry these two things together in a game mode:

Lavaland is now a hotly contested warzone, and both NT and the syndicate send combat roboters down there to fight for it's ressources. These combat roboters can be ordered, drawing from the respective department budget, and crewmembers can hop into nerve-link terminals and remote control these roboters to wage the mother of all wars down there. There are certain points on lavaland, that hold valueable ores deep underground. When you capture these points, a small mining platform will deploy from orbit and land on this point and give you money, which must be destroyed by the opposing side if they want to deploy their own platform. You can research better combat robots, weapons and upgrades from science.
I am thinking here, we could move a portion of robotics down to lavaland to maintain and repair the robots, and we could complicate weapons research a bit more by adding in a separate R&D department for weapons technology, and scientists have to test and figure out the right constellation of materials, explosives, heat absorption and so forth, to unlock all of the various weapons.
We can have traitors play a more important role, completing their objectives gives the syndicate money to fight with, plus all the sabotage they could do on the station side.

With this, we tied in:
-Economic system
-Respawn mechanic
-Combat mechs
-Antagonists
-Science rework
-Robotics rework
-Mining rework

And there is much potential for more. So, who is down to party? :mrgreen:
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: Tie money into a spawn mechanic and basically invent a whole new game

Post by cacogen » #575141

So you can play a Lavaland mech remotely that is somehow powered by money from the departmental budget and you use it to capture mining nodes that research need to build things? How does this make money in personal accounts valuable? Who plays the syndicate? Sounds like mining with extra steps honestly. But paying to control a murder robot to earn loot sounds like a good idea. But then so does just being able to buy a mech. Or any other items people actually value (e.g. guns). If you can't buy the shit people actually want then money will continue to just be a shitty obstacle to getting items that make your job faster and/or more enjoyable.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #575149

pay 5000$ to gateway --> get teled to shoot n loot map --> you keep what you find
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #575167

looking forward to seeing your server on the hub.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #575277

cacogen wrote:[Paraphrased]
-How does this make money valueable?
-Who plays the syndicate?
-Isn't that just mining with extra steps?
-Good idea, but so is everything else, just don't stand between my fun
Alright listen, it ain't mining with just a few extra steps, it's like capture the flag on a planetwide scale, and money becomes important if you want to win in this game, because it lets you buy more robots, better robots. It'll also give incentive for killing players by giving each pilot some reward money for it, and if they are extra good at it, they can afford mechs themselves. And the syndicate is a limitless ghost role, so it's always on going, and you can quit at any time. And one more thing, if you don't do it, there is going to be consequences, like having no ore for example, but nothing that is making the game unplayable, so you don't have to commit if you really don't want to. But I mean, it's murder robots in hell, why wouldn't you?
oranges wrote:looking forward to seeing your server on the hub.
No, it's meant for this server. You are a really good coder, right?
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #575319

This sounds complicated and fun. Surely would be interesting to see but you need to be lucky enough to know of a coder who'd be particularly interested in coding and mantaining it passionately.

Oranges is blunt as always but he only speaks the sad truth.