Ban players who create 'blackface', 'transface', etc characters

chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Ban players who create 'blackface', 'transface', etc characters

Post by chocolate_bickie » #575306

In light of MSOs new global rule (https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27489) and the election of a new headmin team I think it's time players who create characters from protected groups when not part of that group are banned from the server.

Many of these characters are nothing but offensive caricatures or are just used as an excuse to spam slurs (with the defense being, well it's not racist because my characters black). Even when the character is created without the intent to to offend 'playing' as a minority is just offensive, not to mention the fact you are likely to still behave in a stereotypical way. These characters are basically just blackface in online form and should be treated as such.

Now I'm not advocating players need to send in verification pics, but it's well know several members of the community play minority characters without being among those groups (not naming any names because global rules). The new global rules make it clear that demeaning behavior on the grounds of race, sex, gender orientation or the like is unacceptable. Blackface and the like clearly falls under this.
PepperPrepper
Byond Username: Iwanttocookyouanicemeal
Github Username: PepperPrepper

Re: Ban players who create 'blackface', 'transface', etc characters

Post by PepperPrepper » #575311

So you're saying we should make assumptions about peoples race/ sexual orientation based on the way they rp on a L/M RP server?
Tg is not high roleplay, people don't have to roleplay believable real-life characters.
Regardless, if someone is being very offensive you could just ahelp it and I'm sure an admin would talk with them. Not everything needs to be policy.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #575314

chocolate_bickie wrote:In light of MSOs new global rule (https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27489) and the election of a new headmin team I think it's time players who create characters from protected groups when not part of that group are banned from the server.

Many of these characters are nothing but offensive caricatures or are just used as an excuse to spam slurs (with the defense being, well it's not racist because my characters black). Even when the character is created without the intent to to offend 'playing' as a minority is just offensive, not to mention the fact you are likely to still behave in a stereotypical way. These characters are basically just blackface in online form and should be treated as such.

Now I'm not advocating players need to send in verification pics, but it's well know several members of the community play minority characters without being among those groups (not naming any names because global rules). The new global rules make it clear that demeaning behavior on the grounds of race, sex, gender orientation or the like is unacceptable. Blackface and the like clearly falls under this.

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #575315

There's nothing wrong with playing any kind of character if you aren't using it to enact stereotypical bigotry

Tyrone Watermelon is obviously not ok, playing a black character is.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #575316

Stickymayhem wrote:There's nothing wrong with playing any kind of character if you aren't using it to enact stereotypical bigotry

Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #575323

If you want non-shitposting then yes - ban blackface since it's bigotry. That's not really a character gimmick anyways and Tyrone Watermelon may as well be an OOC in IC name. You still shouldn't ban people from making non-white characters because they're white irl though. Same applies to the other minority groups.

Like my main character, besides one non-roundstart race I like to play, is literally an arab person. I don't play him as a mocking caricature though.
chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #575327

PepperPrepper wrote:So you're saying we should make assumptions about peoples race/ sexual orientation based on the way they rp on a L/M RP server?
Tg is not high roleplay, people don't have to roleplay believable real-life characters.
Regardless, if someone is being very offensive you could just ahelp it and I'm sure an admin would talk with them. Not everything needs to be policy.
No, I don't want that. But several players in the community are open about that fact that they play characters of different gender or race to them and a lot of those characters are quite stereotypical/1 dimensional. A lot of them time the characters are defined by their race/gender rather than behaving like actual people.
Stickymayhem wrote:There's nothing wrong with playing any kind of character if you aren't using it to enact stereotypical bigotry

From what I've seen a lot of these characters can be stereotypical in less obvious ways, such as talking in broken English that doesn't get picked up by admins.
Ayy Lemoh wrote:If you want non-shitposting then yes - ban blackface since it's bigotry. That's not really a character gimmick anyways and Tyrone Watermelon may as well be an OOC in IC name. You still shouldn't ban people from making non-white characters because they're white irl though. Same applies to the other minority groups.

Like my main character, besides one non-roundstart race I like to play, is literally an arab person. I don't play him as a mocking caricature though.
Can you be 100% sure that your portrayal of someone of Arabic decent will not be offensive to someone of Arabic decent? Couldn't you just play as a [insert Ayy Lemoh's race] character and not risk being accidentally offensive.

Or to put it like this. If I were to walk around wearing black face paint, but acting like I always do, wouldn't that still be offensive? Even though I am not engaging with any stereotypes? Of course it would. And the same can be said for black characters. Even if you behave completely without stereotype your still being incredibly offensive.
Ayy Lemoh

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #575329

chocolate_bickie wrote: Can you be 100% sure that your portrayal of someone of Arabic decent will not be offensive to someone of Arabic decent? Couldn't you just play as a [insert Ayy Lemoh's race] character and not risk being accidentally offensive.

Or to put it like this. If I were to walk around wearing black face paint, but acting like I always do, wouldn't that still be offensive? Even though I am not engaging with any stereotypes? Of course it would. And the same can be said for black characters.
Even if you behave completely without stereotype your still being incredibly offensive.
I can't play as my race because people won't make abductors roundstart. Jokes aside, I doubt it will because I don't use it as an excuse for racial humor. Also, you're clearly pulling our fucking legs and I knew this was bait. This is like that time where people said using a reaction image of a black person meant digital blackface. I literally can't take you seriously.

I know MSO banning bigotry is unexpected compared to the past however christ man - if what you're talking about came true then the server would literally be only white people ft. lizards and shit. Could you fucking imagine if everyone made a character that is basically just a 100% accurate real life self-insert lol god that would be so horrible
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #575331

Imagine you’re random bodying and 2 minutes into the round you get lit up by ahelps asking for verification of your irl skin color.

People who ask for this shit are just as damaging to a community as those who are actually racist/bigoted.
[this space reserved]
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #575332

Yeah I'm certain this is concern trolling to be honest
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #575334

“Yes hello sir, I noticed you were playing as a paraplegic character last round, could you perhaps send me a picture of your wheelchair?”
[this space reserved]
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #575339

Thread sucks please close
Ayy Lemoh

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #575340

Tarchonvaagh wrote:Thread sucks please close
chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #575342

wesoda25 wrote:Imagine you’re random bodying and 2 minutes into the round you get lit up by ahelps asking for verification of your irl skin color.

People who ask for this shit are just as damaging to a community as those who are actually racist/bigoted.
I'm not asking for that, but based on what people have said this thread isn't going anywhere.
Stickymayhem wrote:Yeah I'm certain this is concern trolling to be honest
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Concern_troll

Having read that I guess it seems this way. I know Sticky knows more about what is and isn't acceptable more than me so if you think this policy discussion is wrong you must be right. I hadn't really thought about how this would be enforced. If popular demand is this needs to be closed for being 'bad' then I guess that's that.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #575343

chocolate_bickie wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:Imagine you’re random bodying and 2 minutes into the round you get lit up by ahelps asking for verification of your irl skin color.

I'm not asking for that, but based on what people have said this thread isn't going anywhere.

Having read that I guess it seems this way. I know Sticky knows more about what is and isn't acceptable more than me so if you think this policy discussion is wrong you must be right. I hadn't really thought about how this would be enforced. If popular demand is this needs to be closed for being 'bad' then I guess that's that.
If you're not actually trying to make a point by pretending to care about something you don't care about, and you're not trying to make your opposition look stupid by adopting a dumb take then you're not concern trolling.

That said, this is an opinion that no one on either side of the argument has, has a much greater trade-off in freedom versus reducing bigotry ( heavily restricting what people can play as to cater to a complaint no one has ever heard and isn't represented by anyone real) and will never be enforced on /tg/station despite slippery slope arguments to the contrary.
chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #575346

Stickymayhem wrote:
chocolate_bickie wrote:

If you're not actually trying to make a point by pretending to care about something you don't care about, and you're not trying to make your opposition look stupid by adopting a dumb take then you're not concern trolling.

That said, this is an opinion that no one on either side of the argument has, has a much greater trade-off in freedom versus reducing bigotry ( heavily restricting what people can play as to cater to a complaint no one has ever heard and isn't represented by anyone real) and will never be enforced on /tg/station despite slippery slope arguments to the contrary.
That's a fair point. If it hasn't come up during rounds then I suppose it isn't an issue. It just seems like bad taste but if people are being respectful I guess it isn't a problem. And yeah as others have said there isn't really a way to enforce it.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #575348

I dont think freedom of speech is about saying random slurs to seem "cool", but sure
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #575373

Here we go here we go here we go now.

Real talk? I was completely right about how stuff like this was going to be used, and it's funny that people called me a fucking lunatic for suggesting that it would be this way in the past.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
Ayy Lemoh

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #575375

TheMythicGhost wrote:Here we go here we go here we go now.

Real talk? I was completely right about how stuff like this was going to be used, and it's funny that people called me a fucking lunatic for suggesting that it would be this way in the past.
The slippery slope is not real yet can also definitely be real - Schrödinger's slope. When I say this, I mean the fallacy itself alone and not the context here.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #575383

TheMythicGhost wrote:Here we go here we go here we go now.

Except that literally no one is agreeing with this bad thread but if it helps you freak out about the commies coming to snatch you from your beddy weddy you can totally take one random bad idea from a random player as the full scale intention of the entire administrative deep state
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #575387

I'm not entirely convinced this thread was made in good faith. This reads like someone talking about the silly bullshit they're afraid of happening from this rule going into place.

On the off chance that you're not trolling, no. This is an awful idea.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #575393

how to remove segregation in two steps!!

step 1: add segregation

step 2: whoops

seriously though being like "you have to be black to play a black character" is kinda of the racism
am gud enineering
scrungo
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #575399

just to make sure you guys all know this is bait right?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #575400

This is so good. it just keeps happening
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #575407

chocolate_bickie wrote:In light of MSOs new global rule (https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27489) and the election of a new headmin team I think it's time players who create characters from protected groups when not part of that group are banned from the server.
No.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #575410

nice bait
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #575417

We had a guy who for the longest time was a literal gollywog. I assume he would fall under this right? (Not sure if he got told to change his character or not)
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #575423

NecromancerAnne wrote:

We had a guy who for the longest time was a literal gollywog. I assume he would fall under this right? (Not sure if he got told to change his character or not)
Yeah no, if your predominant character trait is "modern Minstrel character" you're probably going to be asked to change it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #575426

Fuck this thread, but what if, for example, someone played as an extremely stereotypical Irish character, constantly saying "ooh-arr" and talking about potatoes. Would he get banned? Probably not, since (and hereby I present you my take on this whole thing) Irish people aren't a victim of extreme discrimination. It all depends on the severity of the case, as some people previously mentioned.
please dont bring up the Irish-British relations
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #575427

I hope they don't come for Dr. Blackman. Also Irish people are white so you can't be racist towards them.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #575429

confused rock wrote:just to make sure you guys all know this is bait right?
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #575437

Tarchonvaagh wrote:Irish people aren't a victim of extreme discrimination.
Spoiler:

Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #575442

Vekter wrote:
Tarchonvaagh wrote:Irish people aren't a victim of extreme discrimination.
This actually depends on how severe you believe "extreme" is
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #575445

This makes perfect sense.

This type of censorship is a form of self gratification.

When punishing the "evildoers" for playing a bigoted character doesn't hit like it used to, there is always an even more fragile and neurotic person with new grievances the censor can use as justification to exercise power or feel in control again for a brief moment.

If they were not online all the time, perhaps the outlet for their desire for control would be demanding to speak to someones manager or demanding football players kneel for the national anthem.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #575447

Given the extreme bad faith in the opening of this post, shitposting, and talking about a rule that is technically offtopic to the subject of the OP, plus MSO's response, I'm just gonna go ahead and lock this barring the headmins or the incoming term wanting to issue a response.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #576944

No.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.