Let Pirates Murderbone on Manuel

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Let Pirates Murderbone on Manuel

Post by Armhulen » #576694

Bottom post of the previous page:

I'm sorry, but an armed gunship from space should be allowed to kill freely. It's kind of unreasonable to ask the space pirates to ransom and loot the station, give them a ton of guns, give them a ship that the station must seek out and destroy, BUT HAVE THE CLAUSE TO WHERE THEY CANNOT KILL FREELY. My argument is that while interesting situations can come out of pirates, they should be able to actually be space pirates: killing people, taking swag, and owning the station. If you allow the other gunship full of people with weapons that the station has to kill, nuke ops, murderbone, why wouldn't pirates be allowed to as well.
zxaber wrote:Pirates mass murdering is about sending a message, nothing more. The crew committed to this course of action when they refused to pay the initial ransom.

The initial message even mentions making people "walk the plank" if the money isn't surrendered, and does not actually specify anyone specific, implying they plan on killing all crew members they find.

Pirates that just ignore stealing valuables to murderbone aren't the super best at RP, but they are performing the job of punishing an uncooperative victim. Threats don't mean anything if not backed up, after all, and a threat of "give use money or we'll come get it ourselves and maybe kill anyone we happen to cross" doesn't carry the same weight as "pay us or we kill the lot of you" .
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Re: Let Pirates Murderbone on Manuel

Post by Misdoubtful » #577003

Armhulen wrote:You miss the simple point: Roleplay will always happen on manuel, if you force it you don't get an active working round progression. It needs to happen organically and if people don't want it to happen organically they won't join manuel.
I can understand that, rounds commonly last hours longer than they should, and I agree it can turn into an issue.

I myself am big on the idea of more conflict, minor, major, you name it. Whatever could progress a round even if sometimes its doesn't have the healthiest origin.

I'm not sure personally how murder-bone specifically would help is all.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugs
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #577004

compilation of my thoughts:

"playing roles"
historically, pirates were not known for treating uncooperative ships kindly (which make no mistake, if pirates are aboard, its because the captain was negligent at best or looking for a fight at worst.)
crew were press ganged, taken as slaves and killed. i reckon crew given quarter suffered a similarly cruel fate where they were stranded on the high seas with no supplies to survive with. what kind of roleplay are you expecting here? pirate gamers yarr and harr, talk shit, and love booty. this is already more rp afforded to you than nuke ops, who tend to be silent kill squads, despite being a similar concept of "hostile boarding party".

"unrealistic expectations & implicative mechanics"
to argue that its "unrealistic" for pirates to kidnap people as a justification that they shouldn't attack crew on sight seems baffling to me. the intent should be clear. the ship, its contents and even the crew themselves are worth money. i would consider it ridiculous to say that pirates shouldn't steal something like the hos's laser gun just because its difficult.

quite frankly, i feel like this is a push away from the concept of a invading pirate crew and more towards a push for a raiding party. honestly, in my opinion, pirates are cool. vox raiders are not. if this policy is to go through (which it seems it will), id suggest reflavoring them entirely to preserve the pirate image for potential future antagonists. of course, code changes on behalf of mrp is forbidden as far as i know so..... fuck.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #577005

Also, I think pirates a big part of why people think pirates must be forced to roleplay is that they are just terribly designed and equipped. They shouldn't be magical skeletons, they should be grizzly mercenaries. That way, i'm more set on thinking that they do stuff for money and the like aka able to be convinced. I think we're all pretty tired of skeletons, so i'm gonna work them into grizzly mercenaries with grappling hooks and the like.
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #577006

Armhulen wrote:You miss the simple point: Roleplay will always happen on manuel, if you force it you don't get an active working round progression. It needs to happen organically and if people don't want it to happen organically they won't join manuel.
If I have deciphered the meaning of what you said here I think I actually vaguely agree, in that I wouldn't want to ever see MRP turn into Bay levels of "don't wear a hardsuit for extended periods of time it's not realistically comfortable", but I have no idea how you think putting the OOC rules of engagement in a position that allows antags and the crew more breathing room for conversation is stifling RP.

You state this is simple but I'll ask again; if the magic towards making RP happen is a hands off approach and laxer rules on escalation, why do we even have an MRP server? Why wasn't this already occurring on LRP?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #577009

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:
If I have deciphered the meaning of what you said here I think I actually vaguely agree, in that I wouldn't want to ever see MRP turn into Bay levels of "don't wear a hardsuit for extended periods of time it's not realistically comfortable", but I have no idea how you think putting the OOC rules of engagement in a position that allows antags and the crew more breathing room for conversation is stifling RP.

You state this is simple but I'll ask again; if the magic towards making RP happen is a hands off approach and laxer rules on escalation, why do we even have an MRP server? Why wasn't this already occurring on LRP?
It certainly used to without any rules. The standards of staying in a believable character dropped to nothing, is my answer. And even then, some people manage to have nice little moments.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #577029

If you want antags to RP more, then you need to slow combat WAY the fuck down. Antags have to be as merciless as the combat is and that applies extra to minor/midround antags like pirates which don't really get the luxury of being sneaky. We're still in the realm of one baton and you're dead. One flash and you're dead. One stam crit and you're dead, etc. But I'm getting off topic here.

Pirates aren't nice guys. Pirates are the exact opposite of nice guys. You don't pay up? At best, you die. At worst, you get sold off. Simple as that.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #577281

With the murderbone definition tweak was this issue fixed?

You can still KOS people in pursuit of getting the money but just plasmaflooding lol epic should still be cringed at.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #577288

I loved your solution, time will tell if it fixes things. Will test a lot!