How should US allies react if American civil war pops off?

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

How should US allies react if American civil war pops off?

Post by Helios » #576408

A lot of international order is based off of the US and their global Hegemony. How should the g20 react if the US enters protracted internal conflict? It's not like China will stop their expansion in Asia if the US is out of the picture, and as a Canadian it worries me too.
Fellow non-americans, what should we do if they go full 1861?
Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

Re: How should US allies react if American civil war pops off?

Post by Space Panda » #576410

go back to 4chan you fucking brainlet
Helios

Post by Helios » #576411

I'm sorry you didn't appreciate my joke about Italians
Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

Post by Space Panda » #576413

wrong thread baneposter
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #576416

There won’t be one
[this space reserved]
Helios

Post by Helios » #576419

wesoda25 wrote:There won’t be one
Okay good
I was worried that due to mail in voting, there would be contention over the results of the election in 7 weeks, that would escalate into armed conflict
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #576434

pls, we have a politics containment thread already
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #576437

its not soccer so they dont care
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #576439

Get some popcorn
That's about it
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #576440

Ignoring the fact that there straight up wouldn't be one, it would entirely depend on context (beyond just 'but civil war!').
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #576443

There won't be one, but assumed it happened for whatever reason, they'd obviously side with the local government. They wouldn't mobilize, however, as said government would probably not want foreign troops on their soil, even allied ones.

But yeah, the "boogaloo" or whatever isn't real dude. Chill.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #576467

Sell weapons to both sides of the conflict.

Pour some champagne.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #576637

US was a good meme but as with every meme /pol/ touches it's time to lay Her to rest
Last edited by cacogen on Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #576758

h-h-h-haha yeah civil war doesn't happen, it's 2020 after all!
(civil) wars have started over the dumbest of reasons and spiralled out of control, don't pretend you're some kind of oracle or deep political expert who knows it's (not) gonna happen. there's an unstable situation and a lot of guns, all bets are off
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #576763

terranaut wrote:h-h-h-haha yeah civil war doesn't happen, it's 2020 after all!
(civil) wars have started over the dumbest of reasons and spiralled out of control, don't pretend you're some kind of oracle or deep political expert who knows it's (not) gonna happen. there's an unstable situation and a lot of guns, all bets are off
how much are you willing to bet on this civil war buddy
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #576764

it will happen based on who gets ele-

it will not matter who gets elected
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #576786

American
*Holds breath*
civil
*giggle escapes*
war
*open laughter*
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #576788

I'll bet 150 USD on you on the fact it won't happen right now

if you think the boogaloo or a civil war or some shit will happen your brain is some kind of eternal consolation prize
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #576791

No.

Simple reason - burgers are both too dumb to organise a civil war outside of maybe a couple of nutjobs getting shot outside government buildings and too spineless to do so.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #576795

if there's a civil war they'll immediately take the side of whoever China tells them to
Helios

Post by Helios » #576823

Why would the killing of some Archduke by anarchists lead to the bloodiest war civilization had ever fought at that point?
The great war won't happen guys

Edit:Why would a phantom attack by the Vietnamese on the USS Maddox in the gulf of tonkin, that never actually happened (August 4, look it up) lead to the US getting caught up in a 10 year conflict in South Vietnam?
The Vietnam war won't happen guys

Why would a coal bunker fire in the USS Maine result in a protacted conflicted between Spain and the US? It wasn't even attacked by a Spanish vessel, it didn't hit a spanish mine, so there would be no reason for the empires to fight
The Spanish–American War won't happen guys
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #576840

Helios wrote:Why would the killing of some Archduke by anarchists lead to the bloodiest war civilization had ever fought at that point?
The great war won't happen guys

Edit:Why would a phantom attack by the Vietnamese on the USS Maddox in the gulf of tonkin, that never actually happened (August 4, look it up) lead to the US getting caught up in a 10 year conflict in South Vietnam?
The Vietnam war won't happen guys

Why would a coal bunker fire in the USS Maine result in a protacted conflicted between Spain and the US? It wasn't even attacked by a Spanish vessel, it didn't hit a spanish mine, so there would be no reason for the empires to fight
The Spanish–American War won't happen guys
This is such reductive fucking logic that I have to beg if you actually ever studied history in your life
You realize there's a significant more to each and every one of these events then the event that suddenly set it off, right

Let's play this game

The American Civil War sprouted over significant economical and socio-cultural issues (slavery at its front and center, sure) that had been brewing for eons before, but the latest point you can say it could be called with relative certainty was a year and a bit before in the run-up to and during the 1860 Presidential Elections - shortly after the disaster it was for most of the Southern states after the majority Republican win, majority interest parties with the aid of wealthy landowners formed the Confederacy, a then informal union of interested parties that was nonetheless public and sanctioned through both cooperative legislation and financially backed matters. They ran a very vocal, public campaign for secession before a single shot was ever fired, yet also didn't much hide deliberate propaganda at the state-delineated military forces, and this escalation would continue for a good while to the point Buchanan mentioned how important it was not to allow things to escalate into an armed conflict in a public speech. It wasn't a surprise event that left everyone flabberghasted. It had incredible lead-up to it, and it certainly wasn't Rufus and 50 mates with assault rifles that caused it. It was powerful, wealthy men that had already publicly exhausted other methods of opposition and discourse.

We've had no such clear factional warfare outside of the normal political factors - no senators have walked around with public National Guard soldiers acting as personal bodyguards, there have been no repeated public calls for secession and/or violent government takeover from major political officials (Rando Smith from the municipal council *really* doesn't count), and the United States military and National Guard have since the civil war been deliberately reorganized so that they couldn't be easily structured at a state level deliberately so that even if the majority top branch of troops situated in a state decided to revolt, they could not easily access the resources required or even sway troops given most of them would be fresh-faced and come from another damn state.

None of the pieces are in play for a modern American Civil War. Whilst yes, you do have a lot of armed citizens and a lot of those have extremist political views, there is no organized political body with clear influences at major levels of government to validate any such attempt at starting one. Say Rufus and his mates get 150 armed citizens to take over the City Council in a major city. That's quite a lot of people willing to die for a cause and to organize at the same time, but for the sake of argument, let's say it happens. That's fucking nothing. The collective NYPD has nearly 40 thousand sworn officers. And even if they managed to hold it by some miracle, they cannot work as a united body - say two major cities, A and B, both manage to topple the municipal government and hold their offices in place. How are they going to coordinate any further attacks or pushes into nearby towns? This isn't the 19th Century, response times of bodies like the National Guard are fast, taking mere hours to show up en masse rather than days. There would be no time to organize and form a faction even assuming everything perfectly happens as you say so.

The events you mentioned?

Even a small child knows killing the Archduke was the straw that broke the Camel's back, and far from the main reasoning. There were a billion issues stewing in one place, everyone was armed to the teeth and waiting for the war to start and had been for close to four years at that point, and just waiting for an excuse. It was also a major war between nations, not a civil conflict that carries a lot more difficult connotations due to a break in hierarchy.

You're correct in your doubt over the Tonkin incident but the Vietnam War was simply the maligned followup to the first Indochina War, which the United States had already fought in, and was again not a sudden, unexpected hostility, so much so the leader of Vietnam at the time had basically made his current political base in preparing for the second bout - everyone *knew* America wanted an excuse to pick a fight over it again, and you can also call the entire damn Cold War and hostilities with Ho Chi Minh immediatelly following Japanese Surrender

Cánovas and other Spanish Imperialists after repeated Spanish losses in the New World had for decades been courting the idea of curbing American influence by frequently harking back to their differences in colonization compared to the British and French, whilst Monroe had for quite a while openly talked about his interest into Caribbean expansion and in Florida the Cuban Libre movement was at its height and infected much of local politics, including high level officials that had quite brazenly discussed the open support to Cuban Independence Movements (as long as they, of course, followed American interest) to the point that everyone and their mom knows American response was only as fast as only needing justification - Cánovas had all but warned the mainland that America would intervene and Weyler's appointment was a deliberate attempt to curb revolutionary movements to try and not give America a lull with which to land, which he fully knew McKinley was waiting for - surprisingly, the man instead used these brutal takedown tactics to justify his entry

You're citing deliberate inciting events whilst ignoring all the wide contrast in both infrastructure and prior history that allowed them to happen in the first place, which the current situation entirely lacks other than "mild discontent" - unless a lot, and I mean a lot of things about the political sphere of America and how its armed forces are organized change nigh overnight there will not be any American Civil War anytime during our collective lifetimes, and if that change occurs I guarantee you will see it coming a lot clearer than you currently are and the possibility will be plastered all over every major news outlet a good month before we see formal armed conflict

tl;dr stop fantasizing about an armed uprising and be excellent to each other
Helios

Post by Helios » #576845

I appreciate your points Sheodir. It is not at that point of escalation yet. And I can agree on that, but I am very concerned that it will escalate, because a lot of people aren't acting in good will.
There is one way I suspect that this could escalate into civil war, and that's if the left and right organize around abortion. The question of who is or isn't human, who does or doesn't have rights, that wasn't the spark of the civil war but ended up being central to our understanding of the civil war. If the right grabs that third rail and applies it to abortion, things could escalate
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #576848

When anti-fa can take over a town in the US, a whole nation of rednecks can take over the world.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #576866

all im getting from this is that america really likes to pick unnecessary wars they can only stand to lose from, civil war seems very likely then
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #576871

Whoever wins.

Civil Unrest because of American division shall be made apparent.

It may not be a civil war, but it sure as hell is gonna suck.

Let's just hope the demonization of our fellow Americans ends during the next 4 years.
► Show Spoiler
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #576876

america confirmed third world lol
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #576879

With loud cackle.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #576898

saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #576900

civillian
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #576952

more like civillain
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #576962

terranaut wrote:more like civillain
i'm gonna turn you into a banana split if you dont shush
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #576971

Ass Blast USA
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #577256

aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #577257

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #577259

Rohen_Tahir wrote:
Based
I hope this happens. I doubt it will but if it does I think even he won't get away with it and I'd like to see the immense fallout.
NSFW:

terranaut

Post by terranaut » #577321

cacogen wrote:
Rohen_Tahir wrote:
Based
I hope this happens. I doubt it will but if it does I think even he won't get away with it and I'd like to see the immense fallout.
How would he not get away with it? What could possibly happen? All the polit-pros in this ITT thread say civil war is impossible.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #577324

If the DNC and their Chinese puppet masters cheat the American people out of a fair election than President Trump has a moral imperative to prevent their racist mushbrain pedophile and fascist bootlicker authoritarian candidates from seizing power.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #577329

Super Aggro Crag wrote:If the DNC and their Chinese puppet masters cheat the American people out of a fair election than President Trump has a moral imperative to prevent their racist mushbrain pedophile and fascist bootlicker authoritarian candidates from seizing power.
But Trump used Russia to cheat the American people out of a fair election?
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #577333

Armhulen wrote: But Trump used Russia to cheat the American people out of a fair election?
not sure which five dimensional daemon got angered by america but the election right now is between trump and an old person with dementia, the game was rigged from the start
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #577334

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:
Armhulen wrote: But Trump used Russia to cheat the American people out of a fair election?
not sure which five dimensional daemon got angered by america but the election right now is between trump and an old person with dementia, the game was rigged from the start
Yeah we're fucked lmfao
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #577339

Maybe I'm a brainlet but I'll take creepy Uncle Joe over the Trump train again.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #577346

Armhulen wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:If the DNC and their Chinese puppet masters cheat the American people out of a fair election than President Trump has a moral imperative to prevent their racist mushbrain pedophile and fascist bootlicker authoritarian candidates from seizing power.
This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen you say, Armhulen.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #577347

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen you say, Armhulen.
[youtube]zKdxd718WXg[/youtube]
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #577363

This is just drumpf doing his usual "heh im not ruling it out" routine

Just like when he was asked if he wouldn't nuke europe (or maybe just nukes in general I don't remember the exact quote)

Trump isn't going to pull off a Caesar, he's neither:
-Smart enough
-Popular enough
-Ballsy enough
-Competent enough

To work something like that out.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #577367

terranaut wrote:
cacogen wrote:
Rohen_Tahir wrote:
Based
How would he not get away with it? What could possibly happen? All the polit-pros in this ITT thread say civil war is impossible.
I know next to nothing about politics but like most people I'm not letting that stop me from talking about it.
This but unironically
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:
I am willing to bet that after this virus Trump isn't getting in again. For one thing, the left are a lot more motivated to vote than they were in 2016. Screencap this post, including the part where I say I know nothing about politics.
NSFW:

TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #577373

the two coasts don't make up all of amerika the midwest are normal human beings
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #577378

I was under impression that Trump was the senile one.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #577380

Lumbermancer wrote:I was under impression that Trump was the senile one.
wow so brave and clever hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #577382

Michael Moore was one of the few political commentators to correctly predict Trump's win in 2016. At least as of late August he predicted he's going to win again. So I'm less confident in my baseless assumption that the virus will draw even the most ignorant and self-deluded Americans' attention to Trump's basic and obvious failings. Which is depressing.
NSFW: