Suicide on Warops

technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Suicide on Warops

Post by technokek » #579407

Hello and welcome to another edition of can i do that?

The question today is about suiciding when warops is announced (and even rolling for that sweet antag role)!

Many people just dont enjoy the warops gamemode and decide to suicide. (Cannot prove this, so just believe me if I say it)

-Now should those people that suicided have the option to roll for roles like Syndicate/Mediborg/Carp/Whatever or should they just be kept spectating?

If yes shoudnt they be prohibited from taking any more like lone antag/blob/loneop/dragon/wizzard too?
And shoudnt there just be a mechanic like with POSI Brains that just tells you to fuck off if you have suicided.

-Or are you even allowed to suicide just because its warops?

Is suiciding because you like the gamemode warops/revs/blob even allowed?
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Sat May 08, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Requested edit by OP
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Suicide on Warops

Post by RaveRadbury » #579408

Suicides are made ineligible for ghost antag roles

Players are welcome to stop playing a round at any time, provided they ahelp if they are an important role like command or antag before they off themselves.
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #579412

if you're not antag rolling, on m*nuel, or an important role, you can kill yourself for literally any reason
if you kill yourself when a war ops gets announced and nab ghost antag rolls immediately though you're liable to get shit on

you're not made mechanically ineligible for some antagonists. i suicided on a greenshift on sybil and admin spawned in a blob, and i received the notification for it. i think that's a special case though, due to the admin intervention being different from normal midround blob. this also answers your question of 'can you kill yourself if it's a round type you hate'. once again, as long as no anteg rollies, you're good.

as for making suiciders ineligible for all midround spawns, all that'd do is inconvenience players who suicided for actual legit reasons like being trapped in GBJ/left crippled/whatever.
beating yourself into crit and succumbing + DNRing counts as a normal death as far as i know. antag chasers will just start doing that.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #579415

suicide to roll war ops ( only for this one gamemode) is not allowed, only take the job if like there are actually no ghost / people picking the offer, but make sure it is the case at yor own risk

suicide is always allowed on blob, etc because if you dont want to play why would anyone force you to
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #579416

We can't force people to play the game
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #579417

Armhulen wrote:We can't force people to play the game

you cant? I am free to leave?
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #579419

Obligatory “maybe if a gamemode is so bad that we have a serious problem with people suiciding on it, we should remove it” post
[this space reserved]
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #579428

RaveRadbury wrote:Suicides are made ineligible for ghost antag roles
This is false, I suicide on war ops some times and receive prompts asking if I want to be a syndi borg.
remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #579443

wesoda25 wrote:Obligatory “maybe if a gamemode is so bad that we have a serious problem with people suiciding on it, we should remove it” post
i suicide whenever i get brigged because fuck waiting around for 6 minutes while shitsec bumbles around like slackjawed apes, but that's no reason to remove it
let people opt into and out of what they want
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #579458

SkeletalElite wrote:
This is false, I suicide on war ops some times and receive prompts asking if I want to be a syndi borg.
Thank you community member, this bug will be reported on the github repository.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #579460

They can't prove it was suicide if you self-inflict 100 damage and then succumb immediately
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #579463

RaveRadbury wrote:
SkeletalElite wrote:
Thank you community member, this bug will be reported on the github repository.
Honestly I don't think there's ever been an antag roll that I missed after a suicide. I've never suicided and seen a ghost role spawn that I didn't get asked for. If suicide ineligibility is supposed to exist, I'm pretty sure it's not working at all.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #579465

If you don’t want to play the round as that character what are you suppose to do? Dc?

I suicide everytime this mode comes up and I will continue to do so. It’s not enjoyable and I’m usually not in a role that is important, nor do I want people playing as my character over the matter.

It wasn’t something I deserved based on my play style (cough cough brig suicider I will ban u for that if you are shit and suicide everytime you get caught) and it’s not me rolling for antag because this mode is the most blatant of tdm valid hunt/murderbone style
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #579467

Okay I decided to code dive and I'm like 99% sure there is no code that makes suicides ineligible for ghost roles.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #579473

It does for specifically I believe positronics. And that's it. It was meant to combat people suiciding to become a positronic to get borged faster, or box suiciding to do it in a single life since suicided characters could be borged.

I get that the purpose of that pr was to make people get borged the proper way but it's really weird this didn't get extended to every other ghost role as a consistency thing, given there was a massive thing about 'if you suicide you choose to be out of the round' at the time. Or something.
remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #579492

Cobby wrote:I will ban u for that if you are shit and suicide everytime you get caught)
name the rule copper
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #579502

Rule 1: if you are being a dick IC but can’t even bother to take the consequences IC, I will just give them to you OOC.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #579510

"my dad says that if you find yourself in a prison-like situation, hang yourself with your pants"
- joseph 'chad' gribble
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #579530

warops should be removed
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #579532

oranges wrote:warops should be removed
hahahaha
thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Post by thehogshotgun » #579535

Cobby wrote:If you don’t want to play the round as that character what are you suppose to do? Dc?

I suicide everytime this mode comes up and I will continue to do so. It’s not enjoyable and I’m usually not in a role that is important, nor do I want people playing as my character over the matter.

It wasn’t something I deserved based on my play style (cough cough brig suicider I will ban u for that if you are shit and suicide everytime you get caught) and it’s not me rolling for antag because this mode is the most blatant of tdm valid hunt/murderbone style
I think this place is too tough for you little man, I think you’d be better off at weenie hut jrs.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #579557

oranges wrote:warops should be removed
he says as he closes the pr that does it

anyway, as per making ghost roles ineligible to roll ops stuff, i was thinking about it but decided against it. if it was generic to ANY antags, then it'd need a max time limit since it otherwise discourages people from suiciding in rounds they are having absolutely no fun in. i would also think that that timer would be less than the 18 minutes it takes for war ops to roll out. this would potentially encourage ops to meta wait until the timer is up to call for reinforcements, or whatever.

but even all that theorycrafting aside, there's the issue posed earlier of people instead just suiciding by beating themselves up and succumbing. there really isn't a good code solution for this, and the admins seem to have it handled anyway.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #580691

As long as it isn't used to roll for an antag role spawned by the operatives, such as syndicate reinforcements, its fine.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.