Change Science into an 'ergonomic workspace'

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Suspicious
Byond Username: Suspicious

Change Science into an 'ergonomic workspace'

Post by Suspicious » #578545

I'd just like to start this by clarifying that I see SS13 at its best when it's a chaotic mess, no one knows what's going on, and you can't trust the guy next to you to not be either a shitter, an antagonist, or both.

I've slowly seen SS13 become a safer and safer station time and again. Airlocks for Security, Science, Engineering, and every instance of external access (not just a single door, but an actual set of cycling doors). R-walls around all even remotely sensitive parts of the station. Airlocks separating a department into many different partitions of access. This isn't the 'cutting corners' Nanotrasen I know and hate!

But now on to the main point: Nowhere is this worse than in Science, especially for a department that, at round start, contains very few immediately dangerous, round-ending things outside of Toxins Storage. It is almost impossible to access science's main hallway without breaking through two airlocks worth of access, and then an additional airlock to break into the actual place you wanted to break into. More security means less chaos. More locks means any chaos is more controlled (whether those be airlocks or firelocks).

So my suggestion is to change Science into an 'ergonomic workspace'. What does this mean? More plants, fewer doors, and instead of a hall, a 'common area' with all sorts of dumb accessories like bean bags, 'inspiring' modern art, and a plasma statue of Lamarr or something else that's equivalently a fire hazard.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Change Science into an 'ergonomic workspace'

Post by wesoda25 » #578552

I like that it's the most sterile, suffocating, and secure environment on the station. It's fitting and, seeing as science is the point of SS13, not too ridiculous from a lore perspective. Edit: also reinforces the idea that Nanotrasen doesn't give a fuck about the wellbeing of it's workers, just wants to make sure their research is safe.
[this space reserved]
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #578560

Last edited by cacogen on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #579534

You know you can use maintenance to get into science right?
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #579536

Power loss and emergency maint access occur frequently during the course of the round and provide fairly substantial windows to get into places. For all of the upfront protections that are provided everything has a back door into maint. It's already pretty flawed.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #579826

i really hate the plasma research lore because plasma is one of the most common materials in the game and has very little practical value when playing outside of maybe xenobio and viro.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current