has space station gone to far?!! [CONTRAVERSTIAL TAKE]

General SS13 Chat
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

has space station gone to far?!! [CONTRAVERSTIAL TAKE]

Post by cocothegogo » #589194

I feel over the years we have stepped away from space station 13 less space stuff and more occult things like heretic, ratvar, narsie space wizard nothing spacey seems to get added these days or is it just me? I feel like this trend happened with lavaland few years back.

This is my opinion what do you think?
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: has space station gone to far?!! [CONTRAVERSTIAL TAKE]

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #589195

cause space is cold and empty, there is no interesting content to take from there until elon musk doesnt find aliens in mars, only dumb SpAcE eXpLoRiNg
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #589198

oranges gets mad nowadays when people add "magic stuff" so you might get your wish
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #589239

The stars aligned and the heretic PR was opened during the week oranges had retired.

I don't think any big magic themed feature would get merged today.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #589240

What do you expect, there is a feature freeze on off station code and the dev team doesn't want to try and make it easier for the crew to head into space since there supposed to be on the space station instead.

This is despite the heavy nerfs being handed onto all station features, starting with medbay and now expanding to other departments (stunbatons anyone?).

I'm honestly not sure what the dev teams overall vision for the game is and it would be nice to hear it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #589271

Features goe brrrrr
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #589272

Space nerfs go brrrrrrrrrrrr
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #589277

chocolate_bickie wrote:stunbatons anyone?
sure I'll take one. thank you.!
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #589278

bring back tasers
cocothegogo

Post by cocothegogo » #589282

have you heard of stun gloves?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #589284

cocothegogo wrote:I feel over the years we have stepped away from space station 13 less space stuff and more occult things like heretic, ratvar, narsie space wizard nothing spacey seems to get added these days or is it just me? I feel like this trend happened with lavaland few years back.

This is my opinion what do you think?
I agree, we need less magic and more retro future scifi + media res
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #589429

we need more 20th century frame devices
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #589680

Any time they add space stuff they nerf medbay.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #589713

I believe the intersection of sci-fi and fantasy is a defining aspect of SS13's theme, corporate espionage and space pirates are somewhat interesting by themselves, but wizards and pirates, being from two different genres, give vastly differing pictures in our minds when we think of them, it kinda overflows your mind, leading to the conclusion that any setting with both of those in it must be fuckin bonkers, which SS13 most certainly is. This is why the idea of the space wizard federation having advanced technology and just RPing as wizards is infinitely less interesting, and turns them into just another scifi federation, functionally identical to the others.
I can see how the addition of heretics and other magical content may have taken us too far in the other direction. I believe the issue is more of a theming issue of space content and where to put it, instead of an issue of too much magic.
The place in the setting of the Gods and of the corporations are quite similar, they both interact with the station by sending agents, whether cultists or traitors, into the station. These entities do not closely watch the happenings on SS13, and the dispatching of these agents is a miniscule portion of the offenses these entities are making against NT, the "Good" one. The difference is that while the gods and other magical forces can be easily differentiated, any corporation against NT is just "the syndicate". Though there is good lore written on the factions of the syndicate, traitors are only from "the syndicate".
What isn't NT or magic is the syndicate, and NT makes up most of the influence on SS13. That makes sense if we are going for an Orwellian vibe, but think of how many space pizza brands or Space Spider Extermination crews could be alluded to; instead of NT's Janitorial ERT, the company could contract Larry Lizards Cleaning Cabal. Right now the only fleshed out companies are NT and Donk co.
The spin-ward stellar coalition exists only in the lore repo, but they could play a unique role as a entity which is totally indifferent to the hell that is SS13, only interested in.. well it could be anything. Perhaps a crewmen could be the son/daughter of a high ranking official, and their death could prompt a team of space cops to come retrieve the corpse. "Your station is being genocided by nuclear operatives? Sorry, we just need the corpse of this guy, he's heir to the throne of Space England"

The other reason its difficult to explore the scientific universe is that there's been a space ruin ban active for like, a year now. The ruins we have right now aren't bad, and I would be autisticly disappointed if most of them were cycled out, but even there, its NT or Syndi. Even Charlie station is NT even though it makes no goddam sense that central wouldn't send a ERT for 100 years, instead choosing to build SS13 5 meters away. There's a lot of room to [pun]expand space[/pun], and it could be done without adding insufferable ghost roles.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
cocothegogo

Post by cocothegogo » #589722

cocothegogo wrote:
Capsandi wrote:I believe the intersection of sci-fi and fantasy is a defining aspect of SS13's theme, corporate espionage and space pirates are somewhat interesting by themselves, but wizards and pirates, being from two different genres, give vastly differing pictures in our minds when we think of them, it kinda overflows your mind, leading to the conclusion that any setting with both of those in it must be fuckin bonkers, which SS13 most certainly is. This is why the idea of the space wizard federation having advanced technology and just RPing as wizards is infinitely less interesting, and turns them into just another scifi federation, functionally identical to the others.
I can see how the addition of heretics and other magical content may have taken us too far in the other direction. I believe the issue is more of a theming issue of space content and where to put it, instead of an issue of too much magic.
The place in the setting of the Gods and of the corporations are quite similar, they both interact with the station by sending agents, whether cultists or traitors, into the station. These entities do not closely watch the happenings on SS13, and the dispatching of these agents is a miniscule portion of the offenses these entities are making against NT, the "Good" one. The difference is that while the gods and other magical forces can be easily differentiated, any corporation against NT is just "the syndicate". Though there is good lore written on the factions of the syndicate, traitors are only from "the syndicate".
What isn't NT or magic is the syndicate, and NT makes up most of the influence on SS13. That makes sense if we are going for an Orwellian vibe, but think of how many space pizza brands or Space Spider Extermination crews could be alluded to; instead of NT's Janitorial ERT, the company could contract Larry Lizards Cleaning Cabal. Right now the only fleshed out companies are NT and Donk co.
The spin-ward stellar coalition exists only in the lore repo, but they could play a unique role as a entity which is totally indifferent to the hell that is SS13, only interested in.. well it could be anything. Perhaps a crewmen could be the son/daughter of a high ranking official, and their death could prompt a team of space cops to come retrieve the corpse. "Your station is being genocided by nuclear operatives? Sorry, we just need the corpse of this guy, he's heir to the throne of Space England"

The other reason its difficult to explore the scientific universe is that there's been a space ruin ban active for like, a year now. The ruins we have right now aren't bad, and I would be autisticly disappointed if most of them were cycled out, but even there, its NT or Syndi. Even Charlie station is NT even though it makes no goddam sense that central wouldn't send a ERT for 100 years, instead choosing to build SS13 5 meters away. There's a lot of room to [pun]expand space[/pun], and it could be done without adding insufferable ghost roles.
tldr magic bad space gud

i had an idea for a space ruin once but Im a mongoloid and can't map for shit
edit: I don't think nanotrasen was ever supposed to be good just the big un like asda vs a bunch of corner shops who hate asda banding together