Persistent Asset Management

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Saege Tilth
Byond Username: Ulrichenstein

Persistent Asset Management

Post by Saege Tilth » #590581

When you create a character, there's a save button. That character saves information about their clothes and things, but just as those variables can be saved, as can players profiles get saved after the round ends. One idea I had was to give players credits at the end of each round and saves it. Each new round, the player may pick that character and manually input how many credits they want to bring with them for that round. This will let players keep persistent credits between rounds while removing the credits each job starts with, which instead become the credits each job pays out when the round ends. This would give players more incentive to play roles that are less desirable such as any of the heads positions. Another thing is that it doesn't magically get rid of the ability of antagonist to steal credits and makes stealing mean something completely different now.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Re: Persistent Asset Management

Post by cocothegogo » #590584

we had something like this few years ago but it was if you survived the round you got like rainbow hair I think it just resulted in people sitting in pods till end of shift so they didn't get killed
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #590601

Maybe if this provided some weight based on activities it would be more impactful and not as a survive the round kind of thing. You've been dirt poor the last few rounds? You might be more likely to have like fifty less starting credits this round.

Taking value from what someone does during a round rather than what happens at the end of the round. Otherwise what would stop this from playing out with things being way too careful and safe for the deathtrap that things are?
Hugs
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #590608

cocothegogo wrote:we had something like this few years ago but it was if you survived the round you got like rainbow hair I think it just resulted in people sitting in pods till end of shift so they didn't get killed
Adds Earn Your Beard (w/ "doesn't count" admin button) #19487
Part of the issue was that it incentivized players to ahelp for mulligans on deaths that they thought were unfair.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #590652

I thought of this something like this too, to make credits more valuable. With a living costs system (sort of like Papers Please or just The Sims) that prevented accumulating too much wealth. I wanted to tie it into persistent player dorms, with money used for upgrades. I'd like to have a modifiable shoebox to start and end the round in (think the crew quarters in Prey or even the bluespace shelter capsules /tg/station has). We already have map templates, the persistence subsystem and Hilbert's Hotel as a precedent so I don't think it'd be that unrealistic code-wise. The main concern would be performance, I think.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #590667

Tying anything greater then one round to the economy is a bad idea, it's too easy to break, and I don't want said breakage to matter that much
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?