[MRP] Kill gun cargo once and for all

vkalls
Byond Username: Vincent Kallstrom

[MRP] Kill gun cargo once and for all

Post by vkalls » #590654

Bottom post of the previous page:

What is gun cargo?
Gun cargo is when a non antag player mass purchases guns from cargo without any real reason. Sometimes it can include declaring independence or shooting antags or people they generally dislike, but it doesn't have to.
What is wrong with gun cargo?
Cargo mass ordering guns and distributing them throughout the department, or even just one person, makes it a lot harder to do things to cargo as an antag. It also leads to validhunting or cargo personnel "accidentally" coming upon an antag and blasting them. It's also arguably powergaming, as they are prepping for a hypothetical threat they do not know exists yet.
How can these issues be solved?
There are two main ways to solve gun cargo, you can either flat out ban non-antags from mass ordering guns without any real reason or you can force or rely on security in game to solve these issues by arresting cargo who order guns in unwarranted situations. Option 1 may seem like a boring and restrictive solution, but I believe it is a necessary solution, because option two has not worked much of the time to this point. I see plenty of rounds where security does try to arrest cargo for ordering guns, which normally results in a raid and people in cargo self antagging. However, I also see many rounds where security does nothing and cargo runs rampant with guns, sometimes even distributing them to the crew.
What I want from this thread.
Personally, I want to see gun cargo defined as powergaming in the rules. Some admins enforce it under powergaming rules, some don't. I've had admins tell me both that it isn't powergaming until cargo uses the guns and that cargo shouldn't order guns at all. I personally don't agree with having to use security to deal with these issues. About 50% of the time, security won't do anything about it, or they will get shot at and have a whole situation with gun cargo. While conflict does breed RP, I think gun cargo is ultimately harmful to the RP and environment of the round. Antags should drive conflict, not non-antags. I also don't think we should FORCE security to deal with this type of situation. Let me know what you think or if you have any better solutions.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: [MRP] Kill gun cargo once and for all

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #591757

Played a few cargo rounds today, guns ordered 2/4 rounds (Once classic guncargo, once to make a gunshop). was good fun.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #591773

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Played a few cargo rounds today, guns ordered 2/4 rounds (Once classic guncargo, once to make a gunshop). was good fun.
That seems like a fine ratio esp. since gunshop is pretty unique
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #592018

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Played a few cargo rounds today, guns ordered 2/4 rounds (Once classic guncargo, once to make a gunshop). was good fun.
Please tell me that the gunshop was like this when security came
โ–บ Show Spoiler
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #592403

Sadly the gunshop was still finalising its first sale when blob was called and the qm left me in charge before running off to fight it (I decided that not dying to a) blob and b) lynch mob for hoarding, was more important than charging for the rest.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #592411

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Sadly the gunshop was still finalising its first sale when blob was called and the qm left me in charge before running off to fight it (I decided that not dying to a) blob and b) lynch mob for hoarding, was more important than charging for the rest.
QM picked the wrong replacement.

It was an emergency which means demand was going up! :x
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #592419

If you can't even trust cargo to be good capitalists with the guns they got by taking advantage of an easily exploited system then what is the point of the headmins allowing this to continue on MRP? And if that happened on an LRP server then it still applies because Manuel's userbase is of a similar standard at the moment
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #593988

Yeah, I don't really see this as an issue anymore. Guncargo is pretty rare with the recent changes and we already don't really allow it in cases where it gets out of hand. If Sec comes for the guns at cargo, cargo has to give them up.
AliasTakuto wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #593996

Vekter wrote:If Sec comes for the guns at cargo, cargo has to give them up.
cringe
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #594026

Vekter wrote: If Sec comes for the guns at cargo, cargo has to give them up.
I'll die before ill see this enforced, cargonia forever
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #594110

Security are such bullies about this as well. They just take the guns for themselves, regardless of whether cargo has done anything with them. I'm crying right now
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #600250

This thread seemed to have been auto-locked so opening the gates again for further discussion or until a formal response.

From personal experience if I have a cool weapon I look for an excuse to use it. Across a majority of our player base I see the same thing and honestly I completely understand, these are cool ass toys to muck around with. It is incredibly fun to unload a bolt action into somebody.

I believe there is space for gun cargo/cargonia to exist in MRP but only when it's done in a way that includes productive engagement with the rest of the station and isn't them just locking down. Honest attempts of the former style have been done incredibly successfully and in a great way but drawing the line between these two can be tough.

I don't know if this problem needs additional policy as the roleplay rules already cover bad faith attempts and the main rules already address that doing the same thing over and over can excuse an admin to step in and ask you to slow it down. If new policy were to be set I don't think it would solve anything honestly.

TL;DR:
-Existing policy covers bad gun cargo
-New policy would probably just change the problem and not solve anything
-If you love gun cargo memes genuinely try TGMC. Their cargo has a butt ton of guns and ammo and they are actively used which is really satisfying.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #600252

Policybus discussed this and the headmins made a ruling on it but the thread didn't get updated.
There should be an IC reason behind the decision to purchase guns, such as a traitor attacking cargo and should not be flimsy like, "We're bored". Gimmicks are still fine, provided they're done in good faith and aren't just a veiled excuse to valid hunt or distribute guns to the crew. Additionally, if security is confiscating your weaponry for a legitimate reason you can't just kill them, as that is them doing their job.
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #600256

RaveRadbury wrote:Policybus discussed this and the headmins made a ruling on it but the thread didn't get updated.
There should be an IC reason behind the decision to purchase guns, such as a traitor attacking cargo and should not be flimsy like, "We're bored". Gimmicks are still fine, provided they're done in good faith and aren't just a veiled excuse to valid hunt or distribute guns to the crew. Additionally, if security is confiscating your weaponry for a legitimate reason you can't just kill them, as that is them doing their job.
Oh boy are my cheeks red now.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #600259

I feel like that policy call solves the real trauma I have about guncargo: When cargo declares "Guns for everyone" and sec goes "Fucking sweet, we'll come by to unlock the crates for you. What kinds did you get?"
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #600280

Posting the ruling given by Coco in policybus just to close the thread:

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.
Jimmius: Yes.