Evolve: Spess monsters

Talk about video games here
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Evolve: Spess monsters

Post by DrPillzRedux » #39688

The Evolve alpha begins today at 9AM for PC users. GET FUCKING HYPE.

[youtube]tq7_rtdpSWc[/youtube]
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Re: Evolve: Spess monsters

Post by Erbbu » #39962

Unplayable for me. Slideshow fps with a computer that runs other games fine.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #39973

As someone who loved playing custom WC3 maps where this was the basic premise, I'm pretty hyped.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #39974

If you own XCOM Enemy Unknown you get a free beta/alpha/whatever key. I've got one already.

Game looks pretty cools, can't wait to see how it goes.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #40030

I was in the previous Alpha and it was pretty great. Played the shit out of it all weekend.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #40039

There's no NDA for the big alpha so

I fucking love this game. Being a monster is amazing. You can trick huntards into thinking you're going one way while you go the other. You can perch up on a cliff and wait to ambush them, stalk and scare the shit out of them by picking them off, or just sam fisher the whole game and never come in contact with them.

Being a hunter is alright. Guns feel kinda stale.

Hiding after being chased and it working is such a good feeling. This game also looks good on fucking medium.

thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #40071

I find playing as a hunter incredibly boring compared to being the beast.

Now that the NDA is lifted I've seen some vidya of other people playing and it seems like everyone puts playing as the monster as their lowest priority.

I suppose I should be grateful so many people are pussies.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #40080

Anyone else get a crazy amount of freezes during loading?

I have tried 5 times with different settings and still haven't gotten into a game.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #40092

Nope, runs fine for me.

AMD 6300FX
R9 270 Sapphire
8GB 1866mhz

a correct post by pillz
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #40190

Got it working.

Any tips on tracking that flying Cthulhuoid bastard?
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #40192

How did you fix the freezes, dezzmont? Perhaps I had the same problem.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #40199

Erbbu wrote:How did you fix the freezes, dezzmont? Perhaps I had the same problem.
I ran at a ridiculously low resolution, booted in windowed, and alt entered to make it fullscreen. It still takes a while but it doesn't brick my rig.
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #40215

>need directX 11

fuck you
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #40237

dezzmont wrote:
Erbbu wrote:How did you fix the freezes, dezzmont? Perhaps I had the same problem.
I ran at a ridiculously low resolution, booted in windowed, and alt entered to make it fullscreen. It still takes a while but it doesn't brick my rig.
Alrighty. Doesn't that make the game look awful though?
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #40276

Wher is my key. I have no key.
I can't Evolve.
;___________;
An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #40308

if you own XCOM: EU you get a free alpha key
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #40350

I get the same feeling playing the Monster that I get when I'm an SS13 antagonist. I even get the same jitters from the excitement and anxiety. It's incredibly fun and satisfying.

On the other hand playing Hunters, especially with random matchmaking, can vary from okay to really dull.

My machine is a beast so I don't get much FPS issues on Very High. You guys just need to either upgrade or lower your graphical settings.

What I think: Game has a lot of potential, but I found the unlocking system too grindy and ended up being very unmotivating to me. At the start I felt they didn't give us enough to play around with and the next unlock took way longer than I had the patience for.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #40380

I really enjoy playing medic. I can almost imagine the agony on a monster player's face when they are hit with a tranquilizer and are stuck in an arena.
miggles

Post by miggles » #40384

Ikarrus wrote:I get the same feeling playing the Monster that I get when I'm an SS13 antagonist. I even get the same jitters from the excitement and anxiety. It's incredibly fun and satisfying.
being "the bad guy" is always the best feeling in any game
theres probably a really morbid human psychology reasoning for that like "everyone subconsciously wants to kill innocent people" or something, like in SS13 or TTT
maybe its a power fantasy sort of thing, like being able to overpower other players by killing them when they dont expect it or they are disadvantaged
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #40385

miggles wrote:
Ikarrus wrote:I get the same feeling playing the Monster that I get when I'm an SS13 antagonist. I even get the same jitters from the excitement and anxiety. It's incredibly fun and satisfying.
being "the bad guy" is always the best feeling in any game
theres probably a really morbid human psychology reasoning for that like "everyone subconsciously wants to kill innocent people" or something, like in SS13 or TTT
maybe its a power fantasy sort of thing, like being able to overpower other players by killing them when they dont expect it or they are disadvantaged
What may be part of it is that a poor medic or trapper can just fuck the team, where as the monster doesn't have to rely on other people.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #40429

I don't know about you guys, but I felt that I was acting in self-defense against poachers. I was just doing my natural thing until those assholes showed up to kill me.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #40489

Ikarrus wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I felt that I was acting in self-defense against poachers. I was just doing my natural thing until those assholes showed up to kill me.
Some of the chatter implies when the monster gets big enough it starts to seek humanity out and kill as many people as it can. It is why you are fighting near man made structures that have been completely overrun, a previous monster smashed down the gates and just killed everyone.

Now the question is "Why are we even here?"
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #40519

I found this game being just a spam of abilities. As monster especially. Just run away, spam abilities to run away and kill critters, hold E, occasionally press V. Then humans find you, if you're at least level 2, start spamming abilities on them until they all drop. There, you're done.

As assault, just spam everything into the monster.
As trapper, put arena, which isn't hard at all, I missed it only like once, spam traps everywhere, occasionally shoot your weak gun.
As medic, spam sniper rifle, spam tranq, occasionally heal some dumbass.
As support, orbital strike is probably the most skillful thing in the game, otherwise just spam your gun or shield depending on how you feel.

Maps all look the same, a couple of caves, a building, some rocks and shit for monster to jump around.

Admittedly I did not unlock any additional characters.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #40563

The starting classes and monsters are pretty simple. The unlockables ones are a a fair bit harder to play. I've found that the game is pretty amazing when you get that rare competent monster and group.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #40792

Worried about lack of content? These have all been confirmed.

12 maps
8 characters in alpha + 4 new ones (their lockers are in-game but names are blurred)
1 more monster (+1 more if you preorder)
More gamemodes

However after digging through the code I found stuff for an in-game shop with entitlements and access levels. Keep that in mind.

a correct post by pillz
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #40835

DrPillzRedux wrote:Worried about lack of content? These have all been confirmed.

12 maps
8 characters in alpha + 4 new ones (their lockers are in-game but names are blurred)
1 more monster (+1 more if you preorder)
More gamemodes

However after digging through the code I found stuff for an in-game shop with entitlements and access levels. Keep that in mind.

disgusting
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #40847

Is nothing sacred?
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #40860

it's shit

"all dlc will be free for the community because we love the community"

bullshit
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #41059

a correct post by pillz
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41105

>locking a monster behind preorder and obvious future DLC
Welp, now I'm DEFINITELY not buying the game.
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #41176

At this point the only reason I'm interested in this is so I can fuck over four people as a huge ass monster. Nothing is more satisfying than ruining a hunters day.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #41425

The game looks interesting, but I'm going to wait for reviews of the game to come out before I commit to buying it.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #41442

I don't see a lot of re-play value unless different modes come out, unless customization even within your character becomes a bigger thing, or the maps dramatically change the flow of a match.

Every match I have played has went rather similarly, generally either one team stomps out or it becomes a huge long ass chase that kind of bleeds together. Most of the gameplay is comprised of holding down W.

Doing something like slowing down the monster but making wildlife a bigger problem for the hunters and something the monster can meaningfully affect would help a lot. Right now this plays sort of like "Find the last nuke op." Unless I am missing something huge Lo6 is pretty much right. Spam abilities over and over, spam run, spam jetpack. Don't spam sniper rifle, spam heal or Lazarus revive. This entire game is designed around an asymmetric competitive experience but doesn't really require you to think.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #59345

Evolve is entering open beta in a few days.

Xbox360 servers go live Thursday January 15, 9am PST / 5pm GMT
PC servers go live Friday January 16, 9am PST / 5pm GMT
PS4 servers go live Saturday January 17, 9am PST / 5pm GMT

A few conditions though. Xbox360 owners with a gold account will only be able to join. PC master race will be able to join on the following days so long as they have a) L4D or b) Bioshock Infinite or c) a preorder copy of Evolve in their steam library. Past Alpha participants also get a pass. PS4 owners may also join if they were invited to the previous Alpha. If you qualify you should check it out, the game is pretty fun. There are a few new game modes to play around with too.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #59350

Lovely! What are they?
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #59355

Hunt: The Hunters must kill the Monster before it can destroy the power relay located in the map. The Monster must reach stage 3 in order to destroy the relay, though it can also opt to kill all of the Hunters(what we played in the alpha).

Nest: Six Monster eggs are located in random locations on the map. The Monster must protect them from the Hunters for 10 minutes, and can hatch one of the eggs to spawn a minion to help it. The Hunters must destroy all six eggs, as well as any minions, within the time limit to win.

Rescue: Injured colonists trying to escape the Monsters are placed randomly on the map. Hunters need to locate, revive and protect them as they make their escape. The monster needs to kill as many of these colonists as possible and keep them from getting away. Who ever saves or kills five colonists first wins.

Defend: A starship's refueling station comes under the assault of a player-controlled fully evolved monster and smaller Goliath minions. The hunters must stop the monster from causing a catastrophic accident by protecting the power generators until the ship is fully powered, while the monster must destroy two generators to reach the ship's power source.

There are also two different ways you can play these rounds. Quick-Play picks you up and places you into a random map/round while the Campaign carries onto the world colony for five loosely related matches. It's hard to describe.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #59497

Sum Ting Wong wrote:PC master race will be able to join on the following days so long as they have a) L4D or b) Bioshock Infinite or c) a preorder copy of Evolve in their steam library.
Would that be LFD2 or the original?
I almost bought Bioshock Infinite over Christmas...
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

miggles

Post by miggles » #59509

if you own xcom eu you already have an alpha key
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #59549

Cipher3 wrote: Would that be LFD2 or the original?
I almost bought Bioshock Infinite over Christmas...
Original.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #59572

bad game
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #59802

More like

good game, shitty publisher

a correct post by pillz
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #59803

>Sneak attack wildlife
>get stuck in the killing animation

gg no re, preorder canceled
miggles

Post by miggles » #59808

this game looks like fun but i dont want to play pubs
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #59810

FIFTY fucking gigs.

What the actual fuck.
/vg/station Head Admin
miggles

Post by miggles » #59815

wow awesome i suddenly dont have the game despite it saying youd keep your alpha key if you had one already which i did
super cool
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #59925

this game lets hunters kill monsters immediately if they have lag issues
amazing
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #60684

I caved. I've just had too much fun with both the alpha and beta. I bought the $99 version for $70 on GMG. Luckily for me I'm a pleb with plenty of money.

a correct post by pillz
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #60740

I mean I had fun...

I didn't have 60 bucks worth of fun...
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #60745

Enjoyed the fuck out of alpha. With the new hunters I find playing monster frustrating, like trying to move through treacle away from hornets.

The stamina death and slower move recharge grinds my gears
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #60750

[youtube]vsgoD74vLIo[/youtube]