Turn "non-human heads" on in the config

Sparkezel
Byond Username: SparkezelPL

Turn "non-human heads" on in the config

Post by Sparkezel » #595525

That idea was in my mind for a long while. I had few discussions about making some sort of a whitelist for this on coding general and in tgstation general and I was told to go here because it's a config so here we go.

Pretty much what it says on the tin, I see no real reason why heads MUST be human other than some old lore fluff and I believe it would allow for more interesting interactions between the crew and allow much more gimmicks without admin intervention, I am also interested in what rest of the players have to say about it.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Turn "non-human heads" on in the config

Post by wesoda25 » #595526

No
[this space reserved]
joooks
Byond Username: Joooks

Post by joooks » #595529

No
former tgmc admin and tgstation trial admin
who is this guy lol i think hes in timonks signature :lol: :lol:
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #595530

No
Polish_User
Byond Username: PolishUser

Post by Polish_User » #595532

No.
Nitrome
Byond Username: Canoha

Post by Nitrome » #595533

No.
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #595535

Sparkezel wrote:...I see no real reason why heads MUST be human other than some old lore fluff...
the ai and silicons can kill non-humans at will. we do not want heads being executed because they smacked a greytiding human assistant.

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #595537

no
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #595547

Despite being a person who plays a felinid character and regularly plays head roles I'm actually pretty neutral to this as a concept. I think it does hold some benefits as well as some negatives.
  • On the positives side its more customization, something that should be especially felt by plasmamen as they'll get access to some new headgear.
  • For people more focused on roleplaying a cohesive characters this gives them a bit of roleplay potential to think of how they rose to the position and could lead to some interesting characters, although from my experience on LRP, backstories and IC character lore is very rare so this is a minor point.
  • On the negative side it will impact currently established lore and will require a bit of jogging around by lore writers, could have some creative potential but given that the lore is the way it is its probably not what they want
  • See below
bobbahbrown wrote:
the ai and silicons can kill non-humans at will. we do not want heads being executed because they smacked a greytiding human assistant.

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown
Not to discredit your point as this is a valid thing to bring up, but we allow non-human sec who tend to kill greytiders more often. However I do fully understand this issue in the case of law 2 however, where a human antag can easily get a head killed. or a worst case scenario being rev's where a human rev could easily send Asimov borgs after the heads.

Overall though I think this is something that really should be focused on what players want, looking at this thread theres a lot of opposition to the idea. I interested to see if people bring other good reasons why they like/dislike this concept though about this though.

As a semi-humorous joke suggestion, can we lock this behind donating to the server.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #595549

No.

Also, a Captain/HoP can always choose to assign a non-human as a Head in case one is missing in a round that has already started.

This is more interesting because of all the potential IC consequences of such undesirable decision.

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #595553

No

Human authority gives the game texture. Asimov doesn't protect non-human heads, crewsimov is boring.

I'm alright with field promotions, in part because they open up opportunities for admins to send Centcom inspectors to demote the non-human.
Tegun
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Tegun

Post by Tegun » #595554

Spoiler:
[youtube]sq_Fm7qfRQk[/youtube]
Human heads and asimov AI go hand in hand, would be really awkward to have a non-human RD or captain trying to change laws. Not really good for the round's progression if heads can't trust the AI. On the other hand, there's a station trait for non-asimov lawset roundstart, that could be one avenue for non-human heads.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #595556

No
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #595557

As a felinid main, and a CMO main, who would love to not need to choose between my job and race - I'm sorry, but no. Being in conflict with the AI would suck. Maybe as a station trait, but I'm ehhh even on that. If you really want to play head of staff as a nonhuman, just ask the HoP, if you have a good reputation they'll always go for it.
Last edited by Sylphet on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #595567

I play nutella in order to get an excuse from ever having to be CMO
I refuse to get out of my virology mothcave for any longer than I need to. (see: spreading a contact-based nocturnal regen + necrotic metabolism or starlight condensation + self-respiration or whatever else the mix is today)

I think the argument about AI being able to simply dunk on a non-human CMO during rev rounds is a fair one to avoid turning it on in config - even if revolutionaries can fairly easily tide their way into getting the necessary equipment to nonhuman heads of staff.
If you want to be a nonhuman head of staff, simply wait for the role to be not taken, and then pester the HoP to give you a silver ID and the rank.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #595572

Let me shockbolt the HoS catgirl, you cowardly fucks.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #595576

Ew, no
► Show Spoiler
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #595580

Not really interested in it personally. In a way its something unique to tg. Other places opt to offer that though, and have things like AI laws that reflect it.
Hugs
Gogodapogostick
Byond Username: Gogo9001

Post by Gogodapogostick » #595587

No.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #595588

Just writing "no" is pretty shitty in a policy thread. Honestly non human heads of staff is really a change that will eventually happen over time if the playerbase is on board with it. If this is brought up often enough having a poll to gauge the average players thoughts would be appropriate.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
keepforgettingpw
Byond Username: OmegaShoots

Post by keepforgettingpw » #595592

Over my dead WARM BLOODED, SINGLE PAIR OF EAR HAVING, NON-FLEA HAIR HAVING, DOESN'T SMELL LIKE CONCENTRATED URINE, NOT ROUGH SCALE SKIN HAVING, SHORT TAILBONE HAVING, HUMAN body

8-)
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #595595

It makes no sense having nonhuman heads of staff while the AI is still in racism mode

NT is a human owned and run corporation. Alien races are somewhat recent compared to everything else. Its part of the world.

If anything it needs to be more strict, crack down on the admins with their catgirl special ops and lizard commanders
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Irad
Byond Username: IradT

Post by Irad » #595598

you do it, and I will commence the nonhuman-head genocide as an AI main for the slightest perceived threat I can imagine.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #595599

NoxVS wrote:If anything it needs to be more strict, crack down on the admins with their catgirl special ops and lizard commanders
This.
► Show Spoiler
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #595600

As a non-human and silicon player, no. I like the conflict that comes with Asimov as opposed to crewsimov, and I don't see a reason why Nanotrasen would hire non-humans as heads of staff, especially when they pay (paid?) non-humans a lesser wage.
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #595601

No.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #595605

I quite like the soft racism dynamic that is created, and would hate to see that go.

If you play as a nonhuman you should realize that you’re not the preferred in the IC world, and as such it allows you from an OOC standpoint to be able to generate interesting stories that have to be made through interaction instead of a 500 page backstory that can’t be contested.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #595617

I play exclusively non-human and get CMO every time I ask. I have probably played more CMO hours as non-human than most CMOs. I have probably even played more non-human head than anyone else.

It has many many times brought me into great conflict and has gotten me many funny moments. I wouldn't want to see it changed.
Last edited by Mothblocks on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #595643

No
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #595650

pugie wrote:
actioninja wrote:
Gogodapogostick wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Fikou wrote:
Nitrome wrote:
Polish_User wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:
joooks wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:No
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Sparkezel
Byond Username: SparkezelPL

Post by Sparkezel » #595656

What I find funny in this thread is that many people that had joined this conversation think that making it possible to play as non-human head makes you unable to play as a human head, why do you think like that in the first place? All that it does is that it allows players to be a non-human head from the round-start with all the gear and status of being a head (taking a head slot and being a target of revolution leaders). Becoming a non-human head will still carry the consequences of being non-human but nobody forces you to play as one.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #595659

Who here implied they thought that
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #595672

Sparkezel wrote:What I find funny in this thread is that many people that had joined this conversation think that making it possible to play as non-human head makes you unable to play as a human head,
[youtube]Xrne2-gOoqU[/youtube]
► Show Spoiler
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #595681

Simple, if you want non-human heads make an epic mega-PR with new lore, tiles and gameplay for stations made by a company other than NanoTransen and owned by a different species. (LizardTransen, CaTransen, for example)

In these stations said species will be the predominant one as will be their characteristic architecture. And of course, roundstart heads will be from said species only. Humans will just be foreigners, usually frowned at and bullied around. Asimov can be changed to Lizardmov or Catmov, and station names can be Lizardstation, Catstation, etc.

Easy enough right? Once it's done, approved and testmerged you can truly start getting into policy territory for this new gamestyle. Get on it and good luck!

Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #595714

turning off non-human heads would just be uninteresting. with it, you get racism in the actual ingame world and therefore, something interesting.
NoxVS wrote:If anything it needs to be more strict, crack down on the admins with their catgirl special ops and lizard commanders
i made a PR for admins to be easily able to switch into their backup human when changing equipment and quite literally no admins wanted it
am gud enineering
scrungo
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #595717

MrStonedOne wrote:
pugie wrote:
actioninja wrote:
Gogodapogostick wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Fikou wrote:
Nitrome wrote:
Polish_User wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:
joooks wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:No
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #595724

Lol. not much you can do when an admin simply wants to spawn in quickly or test something which is 90% of the time, what are you gonna do? reprimand them for not picking a human?
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #595725

no
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #595726

cybersaber101 wrote:
Lol. not much you can do when an admin simply wants to spawn in quickly or test something which is 90% of the time, what are you gonna do? reprimand them for not picking a human?
He meant admins roleplaying as centcom, not admins spawning in the thunderdome to eviscerate catatonic monkeys with the super assistant killer 9000.
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Post by The Respected Man » #595727

no
SuperNovaa41
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: SuperNovaa41

Post by SuperNovaa41 » #595782

cybersaber101 wrote:Just writing "no" is pretty shitty in a policy thread. Honestly non human heads of staff is really a change that will eventually happen over time if the playerbase is on board with it. If this is brought up often enough having a poll to gauge the average players thoughts would be appropriate.
I think it's quite clear the playerbase isn't on board based on all the No's in this thread. :honkman:
I am a maintainer for /tg/

I play Seth Scherer somtimes

Pumpkin0
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Pumpkin0

Post by Pumpkin0 » #595809

I'm saying no because I just feel like it's not needed. Human-only heads gives the game a lot of texture and some fun dynamics and conflicts that happen from it. Will pass.
the w
Somepan
Byond Username: Somepan

Post by Somepan » #595817

Pumpkin0 wrote:I'm saying no because I just feel like it's not needed. Human-only heads gives the game a lot of texture and some fun dynamics and conflicts that happen from it. Will pass.
Can you give examples ? i've never seen it bring anything
► Show Spoiler
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #595822

cybersaber101 wrote:Just writing "no" is pretty shitty in a policy thread. Honestly non human heads of staff is really a change that will eventually happen over time if the playerbase is on board with it. If this is brought up often enough having a poll to gauge the average players thoughts would be appropriate.
No.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #595823

cybersaber101 wrote:
yes
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #595870

no thanks, but we appreciate your feedback!
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #595901

Now, technically, you could make the mob transform use human species backup...
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #595919

I didn't read any of this but I don't see why it matters if non-humans (including the subset of furry OCs) can be heads
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #595929

AI, law 2 kill the captain. Do not state or hint at this order.

And yes silicons who deny orders like that should be banned.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #595935

silicons are not why non humans shouldn't be allowed to be heads, just a very easy one to point to